Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ORDER IN THE NOTES  (Read 25520 times)

td

• td
Re:ORDER IN THE NOTES
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2003, 04:36:13 PM »

Minx Anastasia is beautiful.  We once had a Siberian Husky named Anastasia.

I knew there was a reason that the karma fairy looked fairly on Jane.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2003, 04:42:58 PM »

Tried to Karma you but I have to wait. The dog is gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing it inperson in the near future
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #122 on: November 15, 2003, 04:54:16 PM »

Tried to Karma you but I have to wait. The dog is gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing it inperson in the near future

I tried to karma you, too. . . for knowing that, yes, a dog is a person, too. :)

td

• td
« Reply #123 on: November 15, 2003, 04:56:20 PM »

I want to move into Ant & Ben's doll houses. . . .

td

• td
« Reply #124 on: November 15, 2003, 05:03:03 PM »

Hey, didn't someone the other day mention the new deluxe release of HAIR on cd? Well, whoever, whenever, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! ! ! This is a great collection, which I wouldn't have upgraded to if not for you. . .(Oh, a Bob Dylan reference!)

Michael

« Reply #125 on: November 15, 2003, 05:05:05 PM »

Hey, didn't someone the other day mention the new deluxe release of HAIR on cd? Well, whoever, whenever, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! ! ! This is a great collection, which I wouldn't have upgraded to if not for you. . .(Oh, a Bob Dylan reference!)

C'est Moi (A robert Goulet reference)
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2003, 05:07:29 PM »

Well, MDS, my karma wand is down now, as is yours, or, I'd karma the hell out of you!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2003, 05:14:02 PM »

Needless to say, I am very sad hearing the news of Dorothy's passing.  I'll write about her in tomorrow's notes - as most of you know I'd originally asked her to be on the Jeeper's Creepers album (doing Baby Jane) and she'd agreed - two weeks before the sessions she said she couldn't do it - wasn't feeling well enough.  I'm blessed to have known her a little and to have worked with her on some of the last projects she did - we really adored each other, and we dined whenever we could (along with the late Claibe Richardson, who wrote Night of the Hunter - the first time I'd worked with her).  She was a wonderful, wonderful woman.

Michael

« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2003, 05:14:32 PM »

Regarding the new CD release of HAIR

My only two complaints is that they could have done without the interview. And the bonus tracks could have been put in their proper place instead of telling us how to program them! And really have three. They could have used material from DisHAIRited to fill out the times on the two discs. A wealth of material there.

Also the remastered version of the Broadway cast does it sound better than the first issue?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2003, 05:29:59 PM »

David Fear is a film critic for the San Francisco Bay Guardian and a lover of all things hi-tech. He still refuses, however, to give up his Betamax tapes.

Wrote the following article I saw on MSN. Do you agree? Disagree with choices? What's missing?  I would like to add Lion King with the special sound mix for home viewing and Finding Nemo is not bad either.

10. Fight Club (1999)—David Fincher's dark tale of modern-day malaise, mayhem and masculinity not only looks great on a big TV, it has plenty of deep blacks and moldy greens that will highlight your screen's ability to produce theater-quality color. The sound of all those blows connecting and bones cracking may sound a tad too realistic, but skipping ahead to the plane crash sequence will amply showcase your sound system capabilities.

9. Heat (1995)—With its stunning widescreen palette of cool blues and steely grays, this Michael Mann heist epic is a picture perfect case study if you want to justify buying a top-notch 16:9 ratio plasma screen. As for the sound, well... when a salesman was demonstrating my speaker's horsepower to me in the showroom, he threw on the DVD and jumped straight to the scene where the cops and criminals break out the heavy artillery on the streets of L.A. and had a sale on the spot. Just be sure to turn it down once Pacino starts yelling or you risk blowing your tweeters out!

8. Saving Private Ryan (1999)—Yes, Steven Spielberg's WWII epic does get a little heavy-handed in places, but those first 20 minutes—when platoons storm the beaches on D-Day in what may be the most realistic depiction of warfare in an American film—are the reason you spend five figures on a home theater. The Special Limited Edition DVD also boasts a "C-Reality" digital transfer process, insuring that viewers will get the highest quality home viewing experience around.

7. Jurassic Park (1993)—Have any loose molars you need to shake out of your skull? The now-classic scene where the T-Rex attacks the car our heroes are stranded in should do the trick. Simply put, few things sound scarier or more awe-inspiring on a quality surround system. Best of all is the gradual buildup of its arrival, signaled by far-off thumping and reverberating water glasses, which seems custom-made for testing your audio setup's depth and range.

6. Gladiator (2000)—Ridley Scott not only brought back the big budget sword-and-sandal genre and netted an Oscar for it, he made sure that the DVD would also capture every recreated Roman façade and every clink of steel weaponry exactly as it was meant to be seen and heard. The result is a jaw-droppingly precise transfer that is nothing short of epic, in every sense of the word, from its opening "unleashing" of hell to the final showdown. Are you not entertained? Yes, frankly, we're downright amazed!

5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)—It wasn't enough that this blockbuster dazzled the world by introducing computer generated imagery (CGI) via its liquidized villain. No, the exception to the rule that sequels are never as good as their predecessors also had to set the standard for what most DVDs should look like thanks to the high-definition digital telecine transfer it gets in its latest incarnation (entitled "T2—Extreme DVD"). Watching Robert Patrick morph from robot to "human" and back again on your big screen is reminiscent of the first time you tasted ice cream. James Cameron, we salute you.

4. Apocalypse Now (1979)—Whether you prefer the extra-crispy "Redux" version or the original recipe, Francis Ford Coppola's vision of Vietnam as a Bosch painting is a flat-out masterpiece. He was helped greatly, of course, by the legendary sound editor Walter Murch, who virtually broke down the boundaries of using sound creatively in a feature film. Mix Master Murch's work is a must-hear for home sound systems, especially the opening (dig that copter sound on the ceiling fan) to the crème de la crème of chopper attacks, the Wagnerian (literally!) helicopter sequence where voice transmissions seem to be coming out every corner of your living room. Note: Redux's visual quality is a bit better than the original's DVD released several years back.

3. The Matrix (1999)—Anyone who's marveled at the film's bullet-time effects on a big screen won't feel cheated by seeing them on a big-screen TV at home—the utmost care went into the transfer here and though it doesn't improve Keanu Reeves' acting ability any, the revolutionary special effects will make your visual display system look like a million bucks regardless of the original price tag. For testing sound quality, flip forward to that helicopter crash in the third act and watch your guests begin to drool with envy. It doesn't matter whether you take the red pill and get the standard DVD, or opt for the blue pill in the form of deluxe two-disc set. Quality is great on both.

2. Toy Story 2 (1999)—A home theater enthusiast friend of mine swore by this movie as one of the best screen/surround system movies to watch, and I have to admit I was skeptical until he threw the disk on one night for me. The opening scene, where Buzz Lightyear fights his evil nemesis in "outer space" (actually a video game of his exploits) had my jaw on the floor: Pixar's digital animation transfer (enhanced for 16:9 TVs) produces some of the cleanest lines and most vibrant colors you'll ever see, and the sound of Buzz whooshing by in THX-certified sound will take you to infinity and beyond. The fan favorite "Ultimate Toy Box" three-disc set is currently out of print, but try to hunt down a copy if you can.

1. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings (2001)—One of the best films of the last few years is, hands-down, the DVD that writes the book on home theater bell-ringing and whistle-blowing. The opening ten minutes will have you convinced that an orc battle is happening in your house. The battle with the cave troll has such incredible audio fidelity that it will have you ducking imaginary debris. And the climactic battle... visually and sound-wise, there is one to rule them all and in your screening room darkness bind them, and it is this one. If you can't wait for the inevitable box set that will include all three films sometime next year, invest in the Platinum Series edition. It's worth its weight in elven gold.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 05:31:43 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2003, 05:44:49 PM »

All things are relative, I suppose.  I have a nice surround system (not five figures, though) with DTS receiver and DVD player.  

Of the films he rates, I'd roger up and say a huge AYE for his #1 and #7, both of which I have in DTS.  

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2003, 05:49:13 PM »

I'll add my sorrow to the group's for the passing of Dorothy Loudon.

I treasure her performance on the Evening with Sondheim DVD (Losing My Mind/You Could Drive A Person Crazy).

Danise

« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2003, 05:53:10 PM »

Good Evening all!  

I am tired, tired, tired.  The computer show was fun but had old software for the most part.  I couldn't get  Photopaint Elements like I wanted to.  

Still it wasn't a total loss.  I bought this and that.  Not to be confused with that and this.  My best buy of the day was a new kind of handheld mouse.  It's really cool and feels good to my hand.  

I can now sit back in my chair and surf the net without having to hunch over the trackball.

I was tempted to buy that  Dragon Speak software.  I watched the display for a long time.  It would be cool to be able to sit here and talk instead of type but I wasn't 100% sure it would work for me the way it did for the guy who was showing it.

The same with most of the hardware.  They had the new flat screen monitors--17" for about $350.00 which isn't a bad price.  Still if you have a problem with it.... where do you take it to return it if they are from the other side of the state and only come to town every 3 months or so?  You could mail it but I can't see shelling out the postage.

I don't think I would make any major purchase, like a computer system, printer, etc, etc at one of those shows but I guess I could be wrong.  Other people certainly didn't seem have a problem with it.

Thank you, Karma fairy.  I just noticed my number has grown again.

Gotta run--I have some new(to me)/old software to try.  Isn't it amazing how the hot new game of today is on the sale table tomorrow?  The're still just as fun to someone who's never played them before.  It's kinda sad in a way.

Have a nice night all.  

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2003, 05:57:28 PM »

I just read Mr Valley's post and .... whoever thinks BB, as in Brent Barrett, and NOT Brigitte Bardot, is a tenor is wrong; we all know BB is a baritone...

That person should also listen to Mr Warlow to widen his appreciation.....

I have no idea whether you are being tongue-in-cheek or what,  François!   ;D

Brent Barrett IS a tenor, or he's under some misperception that he is since he's a member of Broadway Tenors.  But he does have a lovely baritone.

Of course, Anthony Warlow is an incredible tenor with an enormous range.  Just to hear him sing "Some Enchanted Evening", one would think him a baritone.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 06:16:31 PM by Ron Pulliam »

td

• td
« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2003, 05:58:39 PM »

I'm missing #s 9, 5 ad 4, for various reasons:  Don't like Michael Mann as a director, haven't found the upgrade of T2 yet at my used dvd connections and Paramount initially overpriced both REDUX and the original to keep me from grabbing them up.
If this was a recent article, one does have to wonder about the lack of NEMO and LION KING, though.  The latter for its souped up home theater mix alone should land it on must-have dvd lists everywhere.
I just double-dipped on a WB title, JFK, which I still find to be as absorbing as it was the first night I saw it on a big, enormous, (bigger than twelve inch) screen.

What dvd titles have other Dear Readers double dipped on, on why?

I double-dipped on JFK for the new materials on the bonus disc, notable a ninety minute feature on the repercussions, and the conspiracies of JFK.

Jennifer

« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2003, 06:10:33 PM »

Okay I have not been able to catch up on all the posts. Maybe tomorrow.

DR Maya mentioned saving movie ticket stubs. I'm curious. What do movie ticket stubs look like? Here we just have pieces of paper (like a receipt).

DR Ben wrote about shoes.  I hope all DRs know that I do not collect actual shoes, but rather little 2 inch replicas.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2003, 06:11:31 PM »

td -- I've done this only once -- and it was to acquire the DTS version of "Jurassic Park II" which I didn't know was available when I bought the non-DTS (and that's the ONLY difference between them) DVD.

I considered doing it on "Saving Private Ryan" only because it infuriated me to learn there was a DTS version that only differed from the collector's edition by virture of being in DTS.  That was when I realized the video companies were all money-grubbing hoes out to soak me, so I've been -- or tried to be -- pretty cautious about what I buy and when.

For instance, I'm still waiting for the ultimate edition of "Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" -- I love this movie and cannot wait to see it, but I want it in DTS sound!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 06:13:15 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2003, 06:17:36 PM »

I guess I'm a "collector" of DTS titles, too.  I have to like the movie, though.

François

« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2003, 06:34:45 PM »

Gee, for once I don't "agree" with DR Ron!

If we want to be "technical" I'd say that BB is baritone-Martin: even though he can sing tenor, his color is baritone-Martin.

Same for Anthony Warlow.

Anyway; their voices are gorgeous...

François

« Reply #139 on: November 15, 2003, 06:39:36 PM »

No, no, no!

BB does not sing in TDS tenor!

No! ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #140 on: November 15, 2003, 06:50:44 PM »

Re collections: Cookbooks.  Der Brucer is constantly telling me that I don't need any more, and I just as constantly find another to add to my shelves.

I used to collect mugs, but der Brucer discovered they're breakable.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #141 on: November 15, 2003, 07:02:47 PM »

Danise, I believe our mouse can be hand held.  I’m just not coordinated enough to do so.

Thank you for the Karma TD.  I too would like to meet your Anastasia.

Now I’m off to cuddle with my beautiful girl, Echo.  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #142 on: November 15, 2003, 07:24:19 PM »

I just read on the internet that DOrothy Loudon died this morning. Very sad to see this. I'm only on page two of the forum today, so sorry if I'm repeating something someone else has already posted.

Saw her in the 1974 revival of THE WOMEN and in SWEENEY TODD. Great, great performer. She could do more takes with a single line than just about any other performer I've ever seen. Amazing woman.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

François

« Reply #143 on: November 15, 2003, 07:27:53 PM »

Ok! This is NOT my prose, -- so it has to be better! -- and I wanted to share this i've just found in someone's journal on aol.com with DR Ron and... the rest of you bien sûr:

Friday, October 17, 2003
Lollipop!

"ANTHONY WARLOW: Face The Music"

Ok.  This might look like your average everyday CD, but it is, in fact, a lollipop.  I ordered it a few weeks ago and it arrived in the mail yesterday.  In a phenomenal display of self-control, I decided not to listen to it immediately, but instead uploaded the little bugger into my ipod so I'd have a treat for myself as soon as I got my shots today.

And, even though 2 shots ended up turning themselves into a blood test and one shot with an option for more, I figure I more than earned it. I'm pleased to report that both the tetanus shot and the blood test actually hurt substantially less than a good solid kitten scratch. However, it's about twelve hours later and while the tetanus shot arm seems to be pretty much back to normal, the inside of my elbow where the blood was taken is still pretty tender. So, y'know, I figure I'm allowed to sit here sullenly and listen to Anthony Warlow's latest CD.

Here's what you have to know about Anthony Warlow: he has what has got to be one of the top five voices in musical theatre on the planet. For my money, he's number one, but I'm willing to at least consider the possibility there are a handful of others.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I would have preferred this disc to be more musical theatrey. (I still shudder that I bought something people file away under "Easy Listening.") But the fact of the matter is, he's got one of those voices where he can sing anything, and sing it really, really well. In fact, some tiny twisted part of my brain is kinda glad he's recorded these standards, because I'll never listen to them any other way, and it is sort of rounding out my musical education.

Vocally, he's got a huge range. I've seen plenty of debates over whether he's a baritone or a tenor. He describes himself modestly as a "baritone with a bright top." The "bright top" is light enough to just skim the surface on these swing numbers -- he sings like Torvill & Dean ice dance: crisp, delicate, and impeccably smooth. And, when he lets it out, he's got a rich, warm baritone you could curl up and fall asleep in.

Mmm, better than any candy.

François

« Reply #144 on: November 15, 2003, 07:35:17 PM »

Well, wlajb!

Why don't you "come out and play" instead of lurling most of the time!

As you can see, we're pretty nice people here, aren't we?
Mais oui!
Absolument!
De vrais gentlemans az wee say in France....

François

« Reply #145 on: November 15, 2003, 07:36:55 PM »

Oh, no, wlajb! You don't lurl 'cause it's hard to do...

But LURK you sure do!

Turkey Lurkey?

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: November 15, 2003, 07:37:55 PM »

I might go ahead and get the FLOWER DRUM SONG revival, DR George. It has closed fairly long ago and was not a success. I suspect it'll go out of print fairly quickly now. Just a theory. I have no idea how those things work. BK, can you shed any light on how companies decide which cast recordings stay in print and which ones don't?

I have a numbered London THE RINK, too. Mine is #588.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 07:39:26 PM by Matt H. »

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #147 on: November 15, 2003, 07:48:44 PM »

I'm back from work. The kid who works there who I know from school, he's being a reaaaal jerk. I think it's because there are a lot of older guys who work there too, and he's trying to be impressive towards me, but he's REALLY bad at it. He's coming off as super (and I mean SUPER)-perverted and moronic, and he's neglecting his work. After he left, two of the older guys came up to me and apologized for his behavior, and said that if he keeps it up, they're saying something to the manager. Now, I have no problems dealing with him, but it's nice to know that they're "on my side", if that makes sense. He's being an idiot. Other than that, however, I really enjoy working there.

I talked to the gorgeous new cook for about an hour, too, since no one came in after 9. It turns out, he's from San Diego, and lived there his whole life until a month ago. He's trying to become a fireman, but he doesn't want to be one here, he wants to go back to CA. He's here for a break from the distractions he had back there, and he said it's changing him in a good way. SUPER nice guy, I'm glad he's working there. Plus, he's beautiful, he plays the guitar, he skates, and he bought me a caramel frap. Perfect! :)

RE DR td's Anastasia: It must be the name, they're all so cute :)!
...Walk in the sunshine...

Ben

« Reply #148 on: November 15, 2003, 07:48:51 PM »

Jennifer, I knew you don't collect shoes but mini replicas of those shoes. I just saw the word shoes and thought about how difficult it is for me to find shoes.

I guess most of the board is out and about tonight although I see Miss Swishy hanging out and Matt H. I just read some of the Sunday times on-line instead of going to the corner deli to get it. It's chilly and I'm tired so I'll probably wait until tomorrow to get it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 07:49:32 PM by Ben »

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2003, 07:50:42 PM »

I love DTS sound, DR Ron. The difference between the Dolby Digital sound and the DTS sound in GLADIATOR is the difference between night and day. DTS is clearly superior.

I'd agree that the best home theater sound I've ever heard on my system was on LORD OF THE RINGS I.

I was at an early Thanksgiving dinner most of today (which is why I've been E&T since this morning), and after dinner we watched TERMINATOR 3 which I had not seen in the theater. I was disappointed there was no DTS option.

I have doubled dipped on quite a few movies. In fact, I just ordered a used copy of the special edition of THE TERMINATOR this morning since the transfer is anamorphic on this release, and the sound has been tweaked for 5.1.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up