Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ORDER IN THE NOTES  (Read 25250 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ORDER IN THE NOTES
« on: November 15, 2003, 12:46:03 AM »

I love today's topic and I'm really looking forward to your posts - after you've read the notes, of course.  And, they're off and running...

« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 12:40:10 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:ORDER IN THE NOTES
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2003, 12:52:45 AM »

Not really a collector but in my record collection (is that a contradiction) I collect (1) Answer songs (2)any song that was in competition in the European Song Cong contest (1956 - the present) - and (3) songs that were nominated for Oscars. (only back to 1950 or so). I also delight in truly bad sentimental pop songs. I do have a small collection of Bears but that probably won't surprise anyone.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2003, 03:44:03 AM »

Oh my - which collection to start with?

When I was a small Indiana boy, I loved watching television and I loved getting mail, so I combined the two by writing to people I saw on the small screen.  In return, I would get postcard sized photos of stars with printed on autographs, and now and then a real picture with a real signature!  I have a few of those still, and with the advent of EBAY, my collection has grown.

I also collect, of course, memoribilia of Frances Farmer, Allison Hayes, and Carroll Baker...and have a lot of photos and ephemera of those three dames.

I collect record albums - cast albums, soundtracks, vocalists.  I have a complete Annette Funicello LP collection, and lots of Lawrence Welk (on Coral), Billy Vaughn (on Dot), and others.

And movies.....and cd's.....and DVD's.....posters, lobby cards, biographies....scripts.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2003, 03:48:58 AM »

DR Ron - I am so glad you are enjoying the tape.  And yes Gale was a tiny thing - and I sent that Oh! Susanna episode to you particularly because she sings and Sings AND SINGS!  That rock n roll number was cute, and I had never heard it before, don't have it on a record either, nor do I have "A Farewell to Arms" - what a song!

AND yes I sent you that "Millionaire" episode so you could see Miss Allison Hayes in action!  She was so lovely in that show (thanks to DR MBarnum for sending it to me) - and all those clothes, except the furs, belonged to her!  She is also wearing in one scene (where she is seated) her "lucky" ring, a heart shaped stone surrounded by diamonds.

So go out today and get your lipstick and matching nail polish.....snow peach....Snow Peach.....Snoooooooooowwwwwwww  Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!

And as soon as Mr BK said it, I remembered, he is correct.  "Queen for a Day" was indeed broadcast from the Moulin Rouge!  I forget what adjective they used but it was either....the "world famous", or "Fabulous", or maybe merely "beautiful!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2003, 03:56:32 AM »

Here is your Allison Hayes picture of the Day!  A publicity still from the television series Conflict!  She is wearing her "lucky ring."

After today, we will an Allison Hayes Picture of the WEEK!  No, no...I know you will miss her....but believe me, the picture each week will be a stunner!  

Enjoy if you will......Miss Allison Hayes nee Mary Jane Hayes, Miss District of Columbia 1949, Sweetheart Girl of the VFW, Official Hostess of the Washington DC Cherry Blossom Festival 1948, Miss Forget Me Not, concert pianist, and Fifty Foot Woman!  ;D

Ben

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2003, 05:11:35 AM »

About to go out and do laundry. I will return later to post. Don't do much collecting but I will find something to talk about.

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2003, 05:11:36 AM »

DR Ben, I see you lurking!  Please go back to sleep. It is very hard to keep up with your posts if you are always posting :)

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2003, 05:12:12 AM »

Jennifer, you funny lady. Me go now. Do laundry. Bye.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 05:14:12 AM »

DR Emily wrote:
Jennifer: I think Andrea and I will be going to see Hillel's EVITA despite my earlier rant.  It shows at the end of February.  If you wanna meet up with us to form our own HHW-Get Together that would be fun.  In the meantime don't forget to check out the McGill Savoy Society's Pirates of Penzance.  They are ten times better than the Gilbert and Sullivan's performed by the Montreal West and Lakshore Operatic Societies... mainly because they use the resources of actual voice students from the music department .

Yes, if you go when I am able to go I would love to see the show with you guys.

Btw, is it assigned seats or first come first served?

I actually saw the McGill Savoy Society do a production of Pirates when my sis went to McGill (maybe 8 years ago?).  It's not one of my favorite shows. But that production was still very good.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 05:15:24 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 05:16:15 AM »

DR MattH wrote (last night):
DR Tom, that International Idol Show is a contest to choose the #1 World Idol. Winners from many different countries will compete to be chosen #1.

Oh yeah!  It's too bad that Clay Aiken won't be eligible as he is my favorite.

But Canada's own winner Ryan Malcolm is gonna be there.

Anyone know when this is going to be on? And will it be on Fox?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 05:18:03 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 05:20:48 AM »

DR Ben wrote:
Jennifer, you funny lady. Me go now. Do laundry. Bye

Some how "lady" sounds very old :(
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 05:21:55 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2003, 05:33:34 AM »

What do I collect?

Postcards. I used to do this feverishly collecting map cards, stadiums, broadway, freecards ... and a few other categories. I still love them, but have stopped actively exchanging cards.

Just the Right Shoe:

I have probably 50 of these little shoes.

I also collect playbills.

I can't think of anything else right now.

I'm off. Have a good day everyone!

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 05:42:33 AM »

What a fun topic of the day.  The only things I officially collect are Coke cans from different countries.. it is a universal product and it can be fun to see them in various sizes and languages.

Unofficially, I collect playbills and ticket stubs of shows and films I see, postcards and shot glasses of places I visit.. but I'm not very much of a completist.  I also probably have over a thousand CDs.

Jennifer, I am glad you brought up shoes.  I have a shoe problem in that I have more than any sane person needs.  ;D

(Thanks to Matt for answering my question yesterday)
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2003, 05:45:57 AM »

Question for all you DR's??

Are you experiencing long delays between tracks of Donald Feltham's Broadway Radio Show- LIFE UPON THE WICKED STAGE? I am and I wondered if anyone else is.???

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2003, 06:18:58 AM »

My sister found a box labled "Things of sentimental value" that was apparently mine while going through my mom's house.  I was afraid to open it, as I had no memory of it and had no idea what might be in it. In it were stones, dried autumn leaves, pincones, etc, that I picked up while in the hiking club in high school.

I still pick up rocks and things off the ground. Last time we drove to LA via Twenty-nine Palms, we were caught in a summer downpour and were delayed about an hour because the road was flooded. I made Sandra get out of the truck and pick up a rock that had been washed into the road by the water. It weighs 11 pounds.

My best on-the-ground find, though, was the drag queen shoes we found in a parking lot in Hollywood on our first visit there.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2003, 06:26:59 AM »

I have over 5000 CD's- Very eclectic. I love Classical-Opera-Oratorios,Masses.I Love Jazz,The Popular Song book-Frank,Ella,Tony,Diana Krall et al-I love Country Western-Folk- Rock(which Jonathan Schwartz noted DJ for years who describes Rock as Jazz under pressure)and of Course- THE MUSICAL THEATRE. I believe that  there is good music and bad music in every classification.

I have collected almost 500 DVD's.

I have a Playbill Collection.

I have all The Kimball(among others) Collection of Lyrics of Cole Porter,Larry Hart,Frank Loesser,Irving Berlin,Ira Gershwin.Jerry Herman.Still waiting for a book to be published containing all the Lyrics of Stephen Sondheim.I am amazed that this compilation has not been done.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 06:28:53 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Ben

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2003, 06:45:31 AM »

BK and other DR fans should be interested in the following item:

Today in Theatre History (according to Playbill On-Line):

1956: Dogpatch comes to life as Li'l Abner is staged at the Saint James Theatre. Melvin Frank and Norman Panama adapted the Al Capp comic-strip, with songs by Johnny Mercer and Gene dePaul. The cast includes Tina Louise and Stubby Kaye dancing to Michael Kidd choreography.

Also according to POL, Camelot began performances last night at Arena Stage in DC. Our own DR Jose has been deeply involved in said production. Now that it's begun performances maybe he'll get his butt cheeks (a BK reference) back here and post ;-) The show opens November 21 so we may not see him till then.

Len Cariou will be playing Ben (not me) in a concert version of Follies in Boston. I feel like a reporter.

I'll be back later.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2003, 06:51:29 AM »

Ron: 51 to the magic number
Tom: 64 to the magic number
JRand: 96 to the magic number

Jennifer, you and I remain neck and neck.

I, personally, don't care much for shoe shopping. Mainly because I have small feet, for a man, and it is extremely difficult to find a man's shoe in size 6.

Need to get back to the Laundromat and fold and fluff again.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2003, 06:53:33 AM »

Twenty Nine Palms makes me think of that song from the 40s (I think) The Lady from Twenty Nine Palms. Elena Bennet does a great version on her CD A Wrinkle in Swingtime w/orchestra conducted by the faboo Fred Barton
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 06:53:54 AM by Ben »

Michael

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2003, 07:00:58 AM »

I collect Michael Shayne Mysteries (Big Surprise)

I used to collect playbills and souvenir programs and cds until I sold them off at ricidiculously high prices to people on Ebay and they in turn sponsered my various trips to LaLaLand.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 07:01:28 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2003, 07:01:00 AM »

Good Morning all!  How lovely to wake up and find something I wrote included in a song!  THANK YOU, Noel!  I'm honored.

Wish me a warm hand on my opening
Or crown me Queen for a Day
But don't give me no crisp crap
I'm not a celery stalk

And if I need some cheesecake flavoring
There's a bodega right downstairs
But don't give me no crisp crap
I'd rather take a walk

Let us
Appreciate lettuce
Arugula
A true Gullah recipe hint.
A brand new twenty...
Let's have plenty
Straight from the mint
But please don't make me squint

If we're to sit and sing of solid waste
I have one standing rule
As I take my seat, don't give me crisp crap
I prefer a softer stool.

As far a collections go, I like unusual pieces of jewelry.  For example, I have both the Ranger and Psi Corp. Pins from Babylon 5.  I love wearing them and the mundanes have no idea what they are.

There's nothing like giving a presentation and knowing I'm having a little bit of secret fun especially when someone complements me on the pin afterwards with no idea what it represents.  I’m not into diamonds or anything like that, just special looking stuff.

I guess the biggest thing I’m into (and I know this is hard to believe) is technology.  If you want to impress me, talk about what your computer can do.  What programs you have.  What gadgets you’ve got.  I LOVE that stuff.  

In fact, when I get done here, I’m going to a computer show.  I want that Adobe Photoshop Elements program and hope I’ll be able to get it there at a good price.  No telling WHAT I might find!

So until I get back home and can regale you with the tale of  my adventures, I bid you all a safe, happy, lazy day!

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2003, 07:17:52 AM »

I don't think of it as collecting as much as I do accumulating stuff! It just kind of PILES up.

Movies: I have a couple of thousand if you add the videotapes, laserdiscs, and DVDs. I had a couple of friends over to see that 1979 SHE LOVES ME, and one of them commented, "When do you have time to WATCH all of this?" Good question with no answer. I guess it's just soothing knowing it's there if I WANT to watch it.

Broadway cast albums: hundreds of them on LP and CD, but I'm really not interested in getting casts of the same musicals from around the world, so most of mine are Broadway, London, or studio work to fill in gaps of shows I like or am curious about. I was proud with the professional theater group in town called me a year or so ago because they were staging something that needed songs from ALLEGRO in the background, and someone had told the director that if anyone in town would have that cast recording, it would be me. I asked the director, "Do you want it on LP or CD?" Burned them a copy of the CD, of course.

Books: Most of my thousands of books have to do with films, television, or stage, but as an Agatha Christie freak, I also have all of her novels and plays (nearly 100 of those) along with books about her output. Also have all of Sue Grafton's alphabet series and most of Patricia Cornwell's too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Andrea

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2003, 07:26:49 AM »

DR Matt ( I believe) mentioned Splendor in the Grass  yesterday. In my effor to contribute a random bit of trivia... does any one know where the title comes from? (Not you emily!)

Ahh.. collections... I used to collect stickers, still collect Americans (tee hee) and am still continuing with my collection of antique hats. Oh and fabric-- I have tons and tons of fabric! As my dear old hist 101 teacher used to say, "She who dies with the most fabric wins!"

I will post later after my luncheon about my weirdest purchases.. like the time I walked into an um... adult store at 17 and bought a corset. lol.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2003, 07:48:54 AM »

Yep, a poem by Wordsworth. But I emphasized American literature in college for my English major, so I have no clue which poem. The British Romantic poets are a dim, vague memory.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2003, 07:58:23 AM »

Someone yesterday (DR Jason perhaps?) mentioned about the Midler GYPSY not being available. He's right. It's out of print, and so is the CD soundtrack to that special if I'm not mistaken. I had it on videotape and gave it to a friend when the DVD came my way.

It makes me angry, but stuff on DVD and CD that we love does go out of print unless it's something with huge demand like THE MATRIX or something the studios are planning on re-releasing at a later date (SIXTEEN CANDLES). I've determined if it's something I really like, I get it when it's available. I've made the mistake of waiting too many times and then scrambling to find it at premium prices later.

Despite the fact that the Midler GYPSY is more faithful to the stage script than the film, I MUCH prefer the Rosalind Russell version. There's just something about Midler's voice that for me doesn't quite match the music of GYPSY.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 08:00:47 AM by Matt H. »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2003, 08:07:56 AM »

I love collecting things, although if you get a good look at my room, it looks more as if things are just collecting themselves...it drives my mom crazy!

I have a number of collections, although nothing like BK's and other DR's.  

I've held on to my ticket stubs for the last few years, for both movies and theatre.  The sad thing is the number is about equal...about 50 of each.  

I collect Playbills...I have about 100 I guess...half are mine, half my grandmother gave to me from her years of theatregoing.  The oldest playbills I have that she gave me are from the original Bway production of A Funny Thing.....Forum and the original off-Bway production of The Threepenny Opera.

I collect cast recordings too of course, although I have a long way to go in making my collection there truly impressive.  I have about 150 cast recordings and theatre-related recordings on cassette, about 50 on CD, and maybe another 20 or 30 on LP.  

I liked Midler's Gypsy.  To me it was decent, if not particularly memorable.  The same could be said of Bette's Mama Rose.

Matt H.--you focused on American Lit for your English lit major?  Wanna write my Walt Whitman paper that's due next week??  ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2003, 08:08:36 AM »

DR Andrea here is a link to the Wordsworth poem.  It is called 'Intimations of Immortality from Recollections of Early Childhood.'  The quotation is in the next to last stanza.

http://jollyroger.com/zz/ypoetry3d/Longfellow,HenryWadsworthhall/cas/4.html

Watch out for popups....if you do a search for the title, you might find a more user friendly page to read it on.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 08:11:21 AM by JRand53 »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2003, 08:12:33 AM »

A pic of someone who really likes to collect things...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2003, 08:23:06 AM »

What a bunch of pathetic losers you collectors are--wait a minute, I need to go bid on an eBay auction.  Be right back.   ::)

Of course, the above is a joke!  One of the funniest moments my wife and I have experienced in the last few years was at one of our sons' birthdays when one of the other fathers turned to me and said "Have you heard about this new thing called eBay?"  I played dumb.

Most of you longtimers at HHW know of my Frances Farmer fixation.  I have what is probably the world's largest FF memorabilia collection (sorry, JR) which was used extensively in the A&E Biography about her.  It is my dream to open a Frances Farmer Museum someday, which will use FF as the fulcrum around which many ideas will be explored:  the studio system, leftist politics, the Abraham Lincoln Brigade, the Group Theatre, and maybe even Indiana television (oy, oy, oy).

I also collect Saturday Evening Posts (I have issues back into the 19th century, but my faves are the over the top issues from 1961 when they went "mod" for about two months in order to attract advertising).  I also have a large collection of Mads, but once they put out that CDROM set a few years ago of every issue up through 1999 or so, I didn't feel the need to have the hard copies any more.  Anyone interested in them?  :)

I also have a huge collection of CDs and LPs, probably close to 10,000, stacked in every conceivable shelf of our home.  I have just about every show ever recorded, including a bunch of composer demos, etc.  I also have rare sheet music and folios from flops (who knew Here's Where I Belong had such nice tunes in it, for example).

My favorite music genre of collecting is Brasilian material.  The Brasilians, DRs, simply put us to shame in the pop music department--their popular music from the late 50s on is so harmonically sophisticated, so rhythmically propulsive, that it can make a grown man weep.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 08:23:52 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2003, 08:26:39 AM »

Matt H., your comment above reminds me of the Erma Bombeck routine about her family videotaping everything to watch later--they never had a chance to actually watch anything as they were always busy taping something else.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up