Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ORDER IN THE NOTES  (Read 25519 times)

wlajb

• What would I do if I had not met you.
Re:ORDER IN THE NOTES
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2003, 09:56:32 PM »

The first half hour is wonderous......as is the last.....it's the whole stuff in between.......<G>

Tomovoz

« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2003, 09:56:56 PM »

A timely reminder to relisten to the Cd. I remember thinking that it was interesting when I first listened to it but it has since been buried. Possible it was a victim of having too many Cds arrive in a short period of time.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

wlajb

« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2003, 09:58:58 PM »

I wish I could get over the nasel aspect of the Josh Logan film....try watching it....and not noticing the nose hairs of the actors.....<G>  (someone told me this years ago....and I've become obbsessed)

wlajb

« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2003, 10:02:54 PM »

BK is gonna bitch slap up for not breaking at least 200.......<sigh>

Tomovoz

« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2003, 10:03:21 PM »

I wish you had not told me that. I hope I forget it by the time next view the show. Were the nasal hairs designed by John Truscott too?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

wlajb

« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2003, 10:05:50 PM »

well....he also did the sailors in South Pacific....(with or without the color/thang)....just cut him slack.

td

• td
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2003, 10:06:34 PM »

Well, we are a lively crew, but, where in tarnation is BK? ? ?

Nice to administer some karma point, now that my karma wand is working once again. . .
I must say, it's nice to see (and read) wlajb posting with a couple of adoptees. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

wlajb

« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2003, 10:07:49 PM »

the film that made me gay.....<blush>....was gentlemen prefer blondes......with the olympic pool guys.......(and I cry for the the poor guy who blew the take)   <G>

wlajb

« Reply #188 on: November 15, 2003, 10:09:00 PM »

ooops....didn't MAKE me gay.....made me wanna be GAY.......<----- covering ass

François

« Reply #189 on: November 15, 2003, 10:10:55 PM »

Anything is too much when one tips in the States and one is Canadian.

I got three US pennies once from Canadian gents! -- was a waiter in Florida then, and as such I have never been so humiliated! And they were looking at me from afar as they were leaving to see my reaction...

And to know that we usually are called "maudits Français" in French Quebec was prooven true; i really fely "cursed" at that moment!

Oh I sure did get over it!
One other time i got a $20 tip on a $40 bill; i made sure the gentleman was not make a mistake...

The answer was "No! And you're worth every penny!"

You see; then I sure enjoyed collecting tips!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: November 15, 2003, 10:11:01 PM »

This will probably mark the end of my posting for the evening.  I am totally exhausted after the choreography rehearsal today, and we only did two of my numbers.  The problem was that The Dead End Kids, sorry Fagin's Gang had completely forgotten all of the choreography they had previously learned for Be Back Soon.  After several painful minutes that resembled an accident on the Santa Monica Freeway, the Gang was banished to the upstairs dance studio to relearn the steps.  As their leader, I was banished, as well.  To make matters worse, the three main children’s parts (Oliver, Dodger, and Charley Bates) are all double-cast. The reasoning for this is that, particularly during the winter months, children tend to be plagued with an assortment of ailments ranging from measles to influenza.  Double casting those leading roles cuts down the need to cancel performances.  In addition, this eliminates another common child actor disease -- temperamental attitude.  Kids think twice about throwing a tantrum when there is another child with equal talent and rehearsal time observing from the front row.  Of course, that means that every section of the dance has to be run twice, once with each set of principals.

After an hour of work, we were called back to work the number on stage, where the kids managed to fall apart all over again.  After approximately another ten to fifteen times through that damn number, we were finally released for the day.  I didn't notice much improvement between the first time and the last, but, at least, I am much more sure of my lyrics for that song.

The Bottom Line:  I will be the first to admit that I am too old and too fat and too out of shape to do one dance number over and over for two hours straight, even with Orson Welles’ dance belt.  

Having said that, I will sign off for the night without having discussed any more of my collections.  I will say only that in addition to the dust bunnies, my only other collection would be any and all things regarding the Titanic.  Wow, Jane, I envy you that original newspaper regarding the sinking of that great ship.  Although, I have a great many newspaper dating back as far as 1900, that is the one paper that I have never been able to find or afford, except in reproductions.  Maybe some day!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

wlajb

« Reply #191 on: November 15, 2003, 10:11:21 PM »

hey td...asked earlier about "fields of ambosia"......you have it?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #192 on: November 15, 2003, 10:14:52 PM »

We saw Forty-Second Street (lots of really swell dancing!) and a community theater production of "Play It Again, Sam."

Welcome to wlajb. We're glad you are finally posting. Tell us about yourself, please. If you've been reading us long, you already know a lot about each of us.

Oh -- and in the Forty-Second Street playbill, there's a bio of Todd Ellison, who is the music director. He lists among his credits that he has worked with Guy Haines. I got all excited seeing the name of someone I know in a playbill. Well, I don't exactly know Guy Haines. I mean, I've never actually met him. Come to think of it, every time I go to LA, he's always out of town.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #193 on: November 15, 2003, 10:16:43 PM »

the film that made me gay.....<blush>....was gentlemen prefer blondes......with the olympic pool guys.......(and I cry for the the poor guy who blew the take)   <G>

Which guy was take?
“One thing’s universal,

François

« Reply #194 on: November 15, 2003, 10:17:53 PM »

Sorry for typos!
Was dealing with a phone call at same time at 7:15 am here!

wlajb

« Reply #195 on: November 15, 2003, 10:18:08 PM »

I'm 53.....majored in theater....but gave it up.....in my mid 20's....and in "advertising" in los angeles.....working for the biggest indepentaly owned agency in los angeles......live in west lost ageles.....work in santa monica.....9 blocks from beach.....single....kind "gay"....and oh yes, have a large theater cd/lp collection to get back on today's topic

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #196 on: November 15, 2003, 10:18:41 PM »

Oh -- and thanks for the nice comment about my picture. And the poor fruit bat that got electricuted! :-(
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

wlajb

« Reply #197 on: November 15, 2003, 10:19:23 PM »

TCB....his ASS is UP....while everyone ELSES is DOWN.....(the slut)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: November 15, 2003, 10:20:05 PM »

I'm back, I'm back, from my dinner that I had to go to.  I'm commenting on the Midler Gypsy in tomorrow's notes.  

Here's the weirdest thing about Dorothy - An hour before I read here that she'd passed away I'd been chatting away with Todd Ellison, who musical directed the three albums I did with her.  About ten minutes after I read of her passing he called back and was in shock.  To lose her and Claibe in one year - so sad.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #199 on: November 15, 2003, 10:20:06 PM »

I'm back from having to return a DVD that was due tonight ("Unconditional Love" with Kathy Bates and Rupert Everett.  I haven't watched it...yet.)  ;)

After I dropped off the DVD, I went to the dollar store that's a few doors down from the DVD/video rental place and I bought 3 CDs for $1 each!  (Everything in the store really is one dollar each!)  One of the CDs is not very good at all, so I won't mention it (and it's not theater related).

The second one is the Spanish soundtrack to Disney's "Pocahontas" by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.  It's quite good except that in "Just Around the River Bend" the singer (very nice, strong voice) sounds like she's the tiniest bit of a beat behind the orchestra.  She has certain points where the rhythms do meet up, so I think that she's just taking liberties, but it's a little too loose for me.  Otherwise, very good.  I figure, for a buck, why the heck not?

The last CD is "Carmen Sandiego:  Out of This World."  It's co-produced and some of the songs are written by David Yasbek (of The Full Monty) and one of the songs is sung by the late, the great Lynne Thigpen.  For a "children's" CD, it's pretty good.  Most of the songs are cute but in a good, appealing way and the song that Lynne sings, "Back to Chicago," actually sounds like a real song (not one that's supposed to be part of a children's TV program).  And what's best about it is that it also only cost me one dollar!  Score!   ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

td

• td
« Reply #200 on: November 15, 2003, 10:20:29 PM »

hey td...asked earlier about "fields of ambosia"......you have it?

I don't have it, but, I've seen the source film several times.  I like it, and find it hard to hear it as a *musical."
FIELDS OF AMBROSIA does have Christine Andreas and Joel Higgins, so that at least is a bright pairing.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2003, 10:20:37 PM »

Anything is too much when one tips in the States and one is Canadian.

I got three US pennies once from Canadian gents! -- was a waiter in Florida then, and as such I have never been so humiliated! And they were looking at me from afar as they were leaving to see my reaction...

Oh I sure did get over it!
One other time i got a $20 tip on a $40 bill; i made sure the gentleman was not make a mistake...

The answer was "No! And you're worth every penny!"

What profession were you in then, François?
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #202 on: November 15, 2003, 10:22:25 PM »

Oh, c'mon, it's easy as a waiter to get a 50% tip. . .if one knows how to keep the customers satisfied - - and coming back for more.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: November 15, 2003, 10:22:55 PM »

Oh, and I'm quite certain we'll pass 200, and that is pretty extraordinary for a Saturday.  What we must try to do is keep the Sunday numbers up, that's where we've really been falling down.  But tomorrow's notes will have lots of things in them - my Dorothy remembrance, my Midler Gypsy thoughts, etc.  I may not post them until the morning as I don't know if I have enough energy to write them tonight.  We'll see.

Tomovoz

« Reply #204 on: November 15, 2003, 10:22:58 PM »

Thank you Laura. I feel so much more informed (and a little jealous) now that I know of your theatrical day.
James Thurber 1957

wlajb

« Reply #205 on: November 15, 2003, 10:24:03 PM »

thanks bk.....will look for the midler notes.....<G>....you get once upon a time in the west yet?

wlajb

« Reply #206 on: November 15, 2003, 10:25:47 PM »

don't think I've ever seen it without full screen.....I'm very HOT to see it......panting....even

td

• td
« Reply #207 on: November 15, 2003, 10:25:50 PM »

Hey, if we really P-U-S-H, wlajb can be a full member; while I might attain the next level. . .only 23 more posts for me to go. . .

Tomovoz

« Reply #208 on: November 15, 2003, 10:27:07 PM »

"Tipping" is not part of the Australian way of life - wages are good enough here anyway. We do tip when we have had exceptional help or service - some waiters do give that too I believe td!
TCB Did you consider auditioning for "Wicked"?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 10:28:03 PM by Tom from OZ »
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2003, 10:27:22 PM »

DR JRand53: I've just finished the tape.  Sorry, but other things intervened.  What can I say?  First, Ms. Hayes was a durned sight better in that "Millionaire" than was Tom Drake.  But, the story was very slight...just like the Gale Storm shows.  Boy!  The writing was pretty lame back then.

The car commercials were/are something else entirely.  I'd totally forgotten the lengths they went to -- cars were sold like they were world premier movies, weren't they!

But the piece de resistance -- the tape's raison d'etre -- HAS to be the Dinah Shore version of "See the USA", sung in its entirety.  PRICELESS!!!  Thank you!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up