Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE  (Read 21281 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE PRISONER OF SECOND AVENUE
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2004, 04:25:16 PM »

DR George: Could you post some of the songs on your list.  I love those songs too. And I didn't know what there name was.

I wonder where the name "quodlibet" came from?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2004, 04:29:21 PM »

Congratulations to all the new deities!

I'm back from my meeting. Did not vomit on anyone or even on the floor.
DR Ben - I wasn't interviewing for the job - I have the job. I was just feeling nauseated. :P  I'm fine now.

Shakalaka, maities!
Pirate Panni

Jennifer

« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2004, 04:30:29 PM »

DR Danise's post brought tears to my eyes.

DR Elmore and DR Jane, sounds like you guys made her day that much brighter.  Sometimes such simple things can end up meaning so much!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2004, 04:32:05 PM »

I saw Wind and The Lion also in the theatre and thought it one of the most stirring things I had seen in a long time.  It came at a time when there was a dearth of smart  period adventure films being made.  But, man, that score!  Oddly enough, after a long drought of adventure movies, besides Wind & The Lion,  The Man Who Would Be King also appeared that year.

I saw a production of MACK & MABEL in London in the mid-nineties.  I went to it because it had gotten good reviews and I had always heard the musical had deserved a second chance. Not from what I saw, it didn't...the book just didn't jell. It starred Howard McGillin and Caroline O'Connor, although the night I saw it, someone named Mark Adams played Mack.  This was 1996, after it had been running awhile and moved from the Haymarket to the Picadilly, which may've accounted for why the production seemed a little tired and ragged.  But even immaculately performed, I still couldn't see the book quite holding together.  It wasn't excruciatingly terrible, mind you; but it was certainly in the lower fourth of all the shows I've seen in London.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2004, 04:36:30 PM »

Shakalaka, maities!
Pirate Panni

That'll learn ya.

Hopla!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2004, 04:40:14 PM »

I saw a production of MACK & MABEL in London in the mid-nineties.  I went to it because it had gotten good reviews and I had always heard the musical had deserved a second chance. Not from what I saw, it didn't...the book just didn't jell. It starred Howard McGillin and Caroline O'Connor, although the night I saw it, someone named Mark Adams played Mack.  This was 1996, after it had been running awhile and moved from the Haymarket to the Picadilly, which may've accounted for why the production seemed a little tired and ragged.  But even immaculately performed, I still couldn't see the book quite holding together.  It wasn't excruciatingly terrible, mind you; but it was certainly in the lower fourth of all the shows I've seen in London.

This production had a CD released.  Here's the amazon.com listing.  I like it a lot...but then I like Howard McGillin...a lot! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: May 25, 2004, 04:41:47 PM »

Guy Haines doesn't know from words like quadlibet.

Wind and the Lion opened on a Friday in May 1975 at the Egyptian Theater.  I know this because we were shooting our final Nudie Musical sequence on Hollywood Blvd (the song The Lights and the Smiles).  We were in front of the Egyptian doing a shot with her walking (you can see Musso and the Vogue in the background.  We had one cop with us (all we could afford) and right in the middle of the shot the movie let out and this poor man was trying to hold back eight hundred people coming out of the Egyptian.

George

« Reply #127 on: May 25, 2004, 04:47:50 PM »

DR George: Could you post some of the songs on your list.  I love those songs too. And I didn't know what there name was.

I don't remember where the word came from.  According to an online dictionary, the word means:

1.  a. A theological or philosophical issue presented for formal argument or disputation.
      b. The disputation itself.
2.  A usually humorous musical medley.

Anyway, I think I've posted this before, but here's the song list of my first CD:

1. One Step – George Lee Andrews, Loni Ackerman & Margery Cohen
2. It's a Lovely Day Today (reprise) & I Wonder Why & You're Just In Love – Lewis Cleale & Tyne Daly
3. The Goldfarb Variations – Cheryl Barnes, David Ogden Stiers, Annie McGreevey, Robert LuPone & Anita Morris
4. Who Could Be Blue & Little White House – Craig Lucas & Suzanne Henry
5. Dirty Old Men & A Nice Young Man – Cast of SOME LIKE IT HOT
6. Two Fairy Tales – Suzanne Henry & Craig Lucas
7. Two's Company – Cheryl Barnes & Annie McGreevey
8. Hey, Tom Sawyer – Cast of THE ADVENTURES OF TOM SAWYER
9. Who Is He & Never Put It In Writing & I Talk, You Talk – Leilani Jones & Timothy Nolen & Stubby Kaye
10. Wet – Karen Ziemba & Daniel McDonald
11. Toys – Drew Carey with Children & Parents
12. An Old Fashioned Wedding – Tom Wopat & Bernadette Peters
13. Just Because It's Magic – Julia Louis-Dreyfus & Drew Carey
14. Rain on the Roof & Ah, Paris! & Broadway Baby – Natalie Mosco and Donald Saddler & Liliane Montevecchi & Kaye Ballard
15. Skid Row (Downtown) – Lee Wilkof, Ellen Greene & Cast
16. Penniless Bums – Tommy Steele, Billy Boyle & Cast
17. A Thought Occurs (reprise) & Think About Tomorrow – Adrian Zmed, Eddie Korbich & Courtenay Collins
18. Trio – Adrian Zmed, Courtenay Collins & Eddie Korbich
19. Wait Until You're Married – Liz Larsen & Sal Viviano
20. You're Gonna Love Tomorrow & Love Will See Us Through – Howard McGillin and Daisy Prince & Jim Walton and Liz Callaway
21. In the Gloaming – Megan Mullally
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2004, 04:49:16 PM »

DRJennifer, go to this site: www.abc.net.au/classic/breakfast/stories/s587492.htm

Hope that helps!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2004, 04:52:40 PM »

DRGeorge, are you including any of Sir Arthur Sullivan's numbers from the operettas in your collection?  He liked using the form in choral numbers in PATIENCE, RUDDIGORE, YEOMAN OF THE GUARD.  I don't know how you'd consider the great "In a contemplative fashion" from THE GONDOLIERS.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2004, 05:00:55 PM »

A question:  How does a quodlibet (in the musical theatre context) vary from a duet (or larger ensemble) in opera in which each of the lines is a different melody?  (One example might be the Miserere from Il Trovatore.)  Or can the term be used in opera, too?

By the way (BTW in internet lingo), I've never heard the term "quodlibet" until today.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2004, 05:08:06 PM »

DRGeorge, are you including any of Sir Arthur Sullivan's numbers from the operettas in your collection?  He liked using the form in choral numbers in PATIENCE, RUDDIGORE, YEOMAN OF THE GUARD.  I don't know how you'd consider the great "In a contemplative fashion" from THE GONDOLIERS.

I probably would...if I were a great fan of G&S and were knowledgeable about their works.  I don't really know much of their works at all (at least not individual numbers), so I haven't included any in my CDs.  I mainly have used songs from musicals and some pop things.  I have a Barry Manilow song waiting to be put on my latest.  And I don't limit it to the strictest sense of the word.  I do have some songs that go back and forth ("Two Fairy Tales" by Sondheim, for one example), as opposed to two or more songs exclusively at the same time.

So essentially, I put in songs that I know and like.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 05:09:15 PM by George »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2004, 05:08:25 PM »

DRJay, the TROVATORE Miserere is basically a soprano solo with choral accompaniment, as I recall.  The trio in THE MIKADO< "I am so Proud" is a quodlibet:  3 distinct tunes sung individually by Pooh Bah, Koko and Pish Tush, which then combine together.  Does that help?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2004, 05:14:38 PM »

Well, neither "Two Fairytales" nor "Baby, it's cold outside" are quodlibets, but Loesser's "Inchworm" is, with its two tunes.  The only pop song from the 60s I can think of is Doris Day's "Everybody loves a Lover."  I'm sure there are others but I'm not feeling that bright at the moment.

What the hell did I do?  I thought I had DRGeorge in quotes!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2004, 05:15:09 PM »

Yes, but is it art?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2004, 05:26:50 PM »

DR Danise's post brought tears to my eyes.

DR Elmore and DR Jane, sounds like you guys made her day that much brighter.  Sometimes such simple things can end up meaning so much!

Mine too Jennifer.  You are right how simple things can mean so much, yet I blush for the credit I get for a little phone call that was my pleasure to make.

Jane

« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2004, 05:31:54 PM »

RLP CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SECOND ASCENTION.  

I think Brian Keith was an underrated actor.

Matt H, stay cool from now on.

Panni you didn’t say how the meeting went.  I do hope that isn’t an indication it didn’t go well, just that you had things to do or were hungry now that it’s safe for you to eat.  :)

Jane

« Reply #137 on: May 25, 2004, 05:33:25 PM »

This is interesting. ??? Do we need Bruce to fix the short screen?

Ben

« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2004, 05:39:45 PM »

Wow, Elmore, when you quote, you go all the way :-)

BTW, I have All for Love on Vinyl. I hope to transfer it to CD some day.

TomofOz, you are right my friend. My remark was somewhat intemperate, especially for someone who takes pride in helping stranded or lost looking tourists. It is a funny line though, when you've been behind those walkers for 6 or 8 blocks and the sidewalks are so crowded that you have to jump the curb and walk on the street to get anywhere.

George

« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2004, 05:40:59 PM »

I think that it'll be fixed when we get to page 6, but I think if Elmore can modify his posts (probably just the first one) and take out any "quote" brackets, that might fix it.  Just a guess, of course.

Ben

« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2004, 05:41:59 PM »

Perhaps if Elmore goes back to his Quote post (numbers 133 and 134) and deletes them it will fix our screen problem. Only you can delete a post Elmore (although BK as Global Administrator can do that also). Also, only you can prevent forest fires (not a big threat here in Manhattan)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2004, 05:48:30 PM »

Jane - Yes, my meeting was fine. I can never eat properly during meetings because it's about meeting not eating (that would make a good song!).

Jay

« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2004, 05:50:25 PM »

DRJay, the TROVATORE Miserere is basically a soprano solo with choral accompaniment, as I recall.  The trio in THE MIKADO< "I am so Proud" is a quodlibet:  3 distinct tunes sung individually by Pooh Bah, Koko and Pish Tush, which then combine together.  Does that help?

Well, you've got the chorus doing "Miserere," Leonora geshraying over her situation, and Manrico yearning for Leonora, all to different melodies, at first separately, then all together.

A different example:  the conclusion of Act III of La Boheme, when Mimi and Rudolfo are singing one melody about waiting until spring to separate, and Marcello and Musetta bickering to a different melody, again, the two themes heard at first separately, and then together.

Jay

« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2004, 05:53:25 PM »

I feel so.....so.......slim!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2004, 05:58:43 PM »

Fixed.  

Jay

« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2004, 05:59:20 PM »

Boo!  Put it back the way it was, Dear Bruce.  I don't feel so slim any more.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 05:59:55 PM by Jay »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2004, 06:14:46 PM »

If anyone talks to DR Danise while she's still in the city, tell her to keep one night free--the Fleet's in!  She can do her own On The Town!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 06:15:29 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaοs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2004, 06:26:49 PM »

I hate Times Square.  I've been known to shout at people.  "Hey, it's called a sideWALK, not a sideSTAND"
Yes, Danise, that was Noel you heard shouting.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Emily

« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2004, 06:28:01 PM »

In a very convoluted way all this talk about the Wind and the Lion got me a-thinking about the Chronicles of Narnia and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and then further a-thinking about whether or not there has been a musicalization of this children's novel (or any other of CS Lewis' books from this series) yet?

Can't you just see it working wonderfully?  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

George

« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2004, 06:30:06 PM »

A question:  How does a quodlibet (in the musical theatre context) vary from a duet (or larger ensemble) in opera in which each of the lines is a different melody?  (One example might be the Miserere from Il Trovatore.)  Or can the term be used in opera, too?

By the way (BTW in internet lingo), I've never heard the term "quodlibet" until today.

Jay, I would assume that the term is for both operas and musicals.  It's the same thing, the difference is just how extensive the composer makes it...two individual songs or a great big ensemble.

The idea for my CD compilations was initially to put together musical theater songs that were made up of (usually) two (or sometimes more) specific song-lines, such as "Old Fashioned Wedding," "You're Gonna Love Tomorrow/Love Will See Us Through," "Wet" from Steel Pier and the Andrew Lloyd Webber trio arranged for My Favorite Broadway: The Leading Ladies...things like that.

I know that many operas have a LOT of ensemble pieces like this, and as time went on, I included musical theater examples of ensembles (like the opening number of Brownstone), but I am not terribly interested in big, gigantic ensemble pieces in languages that I don't understand.  Two-part songs from musicals were the best examples.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up