Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: NUT CLUSTERS  (Read 16289 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: NUT CLUSTERS
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2011, 05:41:53 PM »

I would like to try a no-knead bread recipe.  Hint, hint. ;)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »

I'm not at all surprised at the reaction to WONDERLAND.  Has Wildhorn ever been attached to anything that was successful either commercially or artistically?
I heard his Svengali was actually OK. I think it was his first show. Of course, it needed work and the work was never done, but ...

JEKYLL AND HYDE was hardly a flop.  Well, until David Hasselhoff.
It never earned a cent. None of his shows did on Broadway.

Nor do most Broadway shows these days
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2011, 05:43:36 PM »

Sherlock would like to carry his toys all around the house again.  I think he also misses the days when every toy in the house, at least those on the floor, belonged to him.  He attempted to make off with Yogi's toy.  Of course he waited until Yogi was outside to attempt this.  Craig had to bribe Sherlock with a treat to get him to drop it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: April 18, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »

I'm thinking about taking on Time Warner's Triple Plan. That means I will have to buy a telephone and I know absolutely nothing about what to do.

DR elmore - I had Time-Warner's "Triple Play", but never bothered with the land-line, nor buying a land-line phone. If you don't feel like spending $15-80 for a new phone, you don't have to. *However, since Time-Warner's automated system first checks the land-line number on file, that would make it faster dealing with customer service.

*Of course, if I had just wanted the Cable TV and internet service without the phone service, it would have been $40 more each month than the "Triple Play" cost. ::)

Well, I have to have a telephone, but I clearly cannot keep renting the phone and caller ID from AT & T. I'm happy i can keep my phone number, but there are too many styles of phones out there and i want something simple and easy. And I'm a dunce!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #154 on: April 18, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »

I'm confused Jose-lol.  Your "real" name by your definition is without Jr.  Is it with Jr. by your mother's definition?  At first I thought you meant your mother said your "real" name is Jr, and then think differently after reading your last post.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 05:48:48 PM by Jane »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: April 18, 2011, 05:46:56 PM »

I would like to try a no-knead bread recipe.  Hint, hint. ;)

Here ya' go...

From the New York Times,

November 8, 2006
Recipe: No-Knead Bread

Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: April 18, 2011, 05:47:37 PM »

I'm not at all surprised at the reaction to WONDERLAND.  Has Wildhorn ever been attached to anything that was successful either commercially or artistically?
I heard his Svengali was actually OK. I think it was his first show. Of course, it needed work and the work was never done, but ...

JEKYLL AND HYDE was a piece of crap from the day it opened. Whatever Frank Wildhorn was doing before he came to Broadway he should return to.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: April 18, 2011, 05:48:32 PM »

And here's the accompanying article for the above recipe:

The Secret of Great Bread: Let Time Do the Work
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #158 on: April 18, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »

Am I the only one who wonders why states even issue a birth certificate that won't be accepted?

Hospital Birth Certificates are not accepted either.

They never where, at least not since I needed to provide a certificate for the first time.

That is true for passports, but I was speaking of more general uses.  When I started with the State, we used to accept hospital birth certificates for children in a public assistance household.  I also got my social security card and my first passport with a wallet sized birth certificate card issued by Washington State.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #159 on: April 18, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »

And here's the accompanying video for the above recipe:

No-Knead Bread
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #160 on: April 18, 2011, 05:51:27 PM »

And here's the accompanying article for the above recipe:

The Secret of Great Bread: Let Time Do the Work

That looks like the bread Bryan made when I was visiting him.  Thanks for the recipe.  It is vegan so maybe I'll let Craig try it first. ;)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #161 on: April 18, 2011, 05:51:53 PM »

TOD: During the 70's I was still immersing myself in the music of the thirties and forties, so I really have no big favs from the seventies.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: April 18, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »

I'm confused Jose-lol.  Your "real" name by your definition is without Jr.  Is it with Jr. by your mother's definition?  At first I thought you meant your mother said your "real" name is Jr, and then think differently after reading your last post.

I'm not sure anymore either.

I was never a "Jr.". Apparently, the hospital added the "Jr." since they knew that my father's name was also "Jose". Otherwise, my real-real name is JCS. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #163 on: April 18, 2011, 05:53:13 PM »

My recipe was slightly different. I think he rewrote it when he wrote the book. Mine told you to wait 18 hours to let the dough ferment. Also, he had you bake it at 475 degrees. The handle on my cast-iron skillet was so hot, it burned through my silicone mitt and burned a finger.

And he said to use a linen towel, because sometimes there's lint with cotton towels.  
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #164 on: April 18, 2011, 05:53:57 PM »

TOD: During the 70's I was still immersing myself in the music of the thirties and forties, so I really have no big favs from the seventies.
Smart man. I did likewise, but you couldn't escape some stuff in school.

I forgot to include Springsteen on my list.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »

JEKYLL AND HYDE was a piece of crap from the day it opened. Whatever Frank Wildhorn was doing before he came to Broadway he should return to.
Hog calling?
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #166 on: April 18, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »

T.O.D.

Laura Nyro
Janis Ian
Nillson
Neil Diamond
Jimmy Webb
Carole King

And even though he didn't write it, I love Nillson's version of WITHOUT YOU.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: April 18, 2011, 05:57:35 PM »

Oh...

I, too, have never had a problem with the "quote" button. -Sometimes the board is slow, but the "quote" button always works on the first (and only) try for me. I think.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #168 on: April 18, 2011, 05:59:08 PM »

I was never a "Jr.". Apparently, the hospital added the "Jr." since they knew that my father's name was also "Jose". Otherwise, my real-real name is JCS. ;D

The hospital added it on your parents official form‽  Then you have grounds to get your official birth certificate changed. ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: April 18, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »

My recipe was slightly different. I think he rewrote it when he wrote the book. Mine told you to wait 18 hours to let the dough ferment. Also, he had you bake it at 475 degrees. The handle on my cast-iron skillet was so hot, it burned through my silicone mitt and burned a finger.

And he said to use a linen towel, because sometimes there's lint with cotton towels.  

Yes. and Yes.

Bittman slightly modified Jim Lahey's recipe for publication in the New York Times. And Jim Lahey did make some refinements to his process when he published the book.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: April 18, 2011, 06:00:48 PM »

I was never a "Jr.". Apparently, the hospital added the "Jr." since they knew that my father's name was also "Jose". Otherwise, my real-real name is JCS. ;D

The hospital added it on your parents official form‽  Then you have grounds to get your official birth certificate changed. ;)

Ummm... I'm gonna have to pull my birth certificate and baby album out of storage tomorrow.

We shall continue this discussion then. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #171 on: April 18, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »

Why have two kinds of birth certificates if one is useless? And why send me the useless one when I ordered the real one?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #172 on: April 18, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »

Are you going to make the other recipe & compare?

John G.

« Reply #173 on: April 18, 2011, 06:12:36 PM »

Why have two kinds of birth certificates if one is useless? And why send me the useless one when I ordered the real one?
To play with your mind. It's more fun that way. Bureaucracy in all its glory and ineffectiveness.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2011, 06:12:51 PM »

Sounds a bit like me, only I was mostly 40's & 50's.  I still mostly listen to 40's music though I'm a big Billy Joel fan & loved The Beach Boys.

Ginny

« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »

I'm back after logging out so DS Rob could install my printer on my "new" computer.  Works like a dream!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2011, 06:14:38 PM »

Are you going to make the other recipe & compare?
I'm going to add things like oil-cured olives or herbs or whatever sounds good in a bread. I also made this one with all-purpose flour and whole wheat, which are different from bread flour. So. I will also try it with bread four, which is the only flour he recommends now with the recipe.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »

Am I the only one who wonders why states even issue a birth certificate that won't be accepted?

Hospital Birth Certificates are not accepted either.

They never where, at least not since I needed to provide a certificate for the first time.

That is true for passports, but I was speaking of more general uses.  When I started with the State, we used to accept hospital birth certificates for children in a public assistance household.  I also got my social security card and my first passport with a wallet sized birth certificate card issued by Washington State.

My parents got those for me so I wouldn't know which they used.  They did give me my hospital certificate along with an official one.  I expect the hospital one was good for school.

John G.

« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »

Am off to make dinner.
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »

DR Ginny do you know why your certificate wasn't accepted.  Did it have an official seal?

It looked official to me, but was probably in the category that DR Cillaliz described as "short form."  It did have a statement on it that it was to be accepted for all kinds of things, including securing a passport.  But, as DR TCB pointed out, that may have been true in 1950 but no longer after 9/11.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up