Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WRITTEN ON THE WIND  (Read 43591 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:WRITTEN ON THE WIND
« Reply #300 on: March 15, 2007, 02:55:00 PM »

Absolutely! I can't resist it, being as how "I Know Drama"!

I love the hokey narration, too! It's all cheesy and fun.

DeMille also provides that hokey narration on "The Ten Commandments," but no one ever gripes about that.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #301 on: March 15, 2007, 02:55:15 PM »

You know, Amy, another 1950s Best Picture that people pee on is "Around the World in 80 Days" and I find it a totally beautiful, fast-paced and fun film.  It has brilliant photography and a glorious score by Victor Young.  It's total theatrical candy....the good stuff, too!

I've always loved this film!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #302 on: March 15, 2007, 02:56:27 PM »

DeMille also provides that hokey narration on "The Ten Commandments," but no one ever gripes about that.

I think "The Ten Commandments" sends one back to "The Greatest Show on Earth" with a true appreciation for kitsch on all levels.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #303 on: March 15, 2007, 02:58:03 PM »

[size=8]Onze

Undici

Endeca[/size]
[/color]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #304 on: March 15, 2007, 02:58:43 PM »

Next, I watched the Tallulah Bankhead episode.

I think she was named after our Tallulah River/gorge.

There's an area of Atlanta called Buckhead, so of course we have a drag queen in town who calls herself Tallulah Buckhead.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #305 on: March 15, 2007, 02:58:58 PM »

I've always loved this film!

I knew we were simpatico!

:D

FJL

« Reply #306 on: March 15, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »

A regular kitschy coup, if you ask me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #307 on: March 15, 2007, 03:00:22 PM »

You own it, too?

I missed the original classic.  I have "Toed in the Hole, Too".

Edisaurus

« Reply #308 on: March 15, 2007, 03:01:21 PM »

You know, Amy, another 1950s Best Picture that people pee on is "Around the World in 80 Days" and I find it a totally beautiful, fast-paced and fun film.  It has brilliant photography and a glorious score by Victor Young.  It's total theatrical candy....the good stuff, too!

I haven't seen that since I was a kid. I'll have to keep an eye out for it!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

singdaw

« Reply #309 on: March 15, 2007, 03:02:17 PM »

...And I have to say, that not only does David actually look (more) Italian than Matthew Morrison and Aaron Lazar (who played Fabrizio on Broadway), but he also sings the songs most beautifully, and in the original, higher keys too!

*He did understudy Fabrizio on Broadway, but I never saw him go on.  But I did hear him sing the songs a few times in various concerts.

He sings Love To Me on his new solo album [I think on LML?], without the Italian accent, as well as a wonderful rendition of Jason Robert Brown's Someone To Fall Back On.

Edisaurus

« Reply #310 on: March 15, 2007, 03:04:44 PM »

The Larchmont is very close to the Quad. Larchmont is on 11th between 5th & 6th Avenues and the Quad is on 13th between 5th and 6th Avenues.

That's why I was thinking of it, since I'll probably have some friends coming into town for the film and we would have a place nearby to catch up. And share a bathroom. ;D

Ben

« Reply #311 on: March 15, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »

We didn't have Toad in the Hole at our restaurant around the corner but when we went to Nottingham to visit our dear friends she made toad in the hole for us. Quite yummy!!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #312 on: March 15, 2007, 03:22:31 PM »

I missed the original classic.  I have "Toed in the Hole, Too".
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #313 on: March 15, 2007, 03:27:18 PM »

I do.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #314 on: March 15, 2007, 03:29:42 PM »

I am SO thrilled! I finally after a year of trying landed a laserdisc copy of THE MUSIC LOVERS, and cheap, too! I was ready to pay at least double of what I ended up paying.

Patience pays off!

Matt H.

« Reply #315 on: March 15, 2007, 03:30:38 PM »

ANd now I must head downstairs and watch the new edition of PETER PAN.

WBBL.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #316 on: March 15, 2007, 03:36:34 PM »

For you coffee drinkers in case you haven't heard, Starbucks is giving away a free 12 oz cup of coffee today between 10:00 am and noon.

What I mean is, they are not giving a cup of coffee away--I'm sure that means one cup per person.

I got there at 10:01, but sadly the cup had been taken.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #317 on: March 15, 2007, 03:56:10 PM »

As for "Lost"...

A good episode.  -And the closing minutes - including the previews for next week - were quite gasp-inducing.

AARRGGHH!!  I haven't watched the last TWO episodes. :o I have to kechup...and soon!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #318 on: March 15, 2007, 03:58:43 PM »

I just spent a couple of hours helping our business librarian host a reception and awards ceremony for 4 teen winners in The Miami Valley's Next Top Entrepreneur Essay Contest.  The judges were 2 business owners and the editor of the Dayton Business Journal.  Very creative business ideas from these young people, including a heli-taxi from Manhattan to the Jersey shore.  My family could have used that in 1999, when we spent a week in Ocean Grove, NJ, and had to take a 2-hour bus ride each way on the 2 days we spent in the City.  

Since I'm going to my book group meeting directly from work, my dinner consists of the leftover refreshments from the reception.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #319 on: March 15, 2007, 04:00:25 PM »

BUT YOU WOULD???

ROTFLOL-Of course not!

Edisaurus

« Reply #320 on: March 15, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »

Jeez...there are NO good hotels available, apparently! I tried quite a few in the Village. The Chelsea Savoy had a 1 bed room for 250/night. So I went with my old standby, The Edison and booked through a hotel broker. I have to wait 24 hours to see if I get the room. The only thing they had available was for either 1 or 3 people, but the 3 person one was still less than 200.

So, I have plane tickets, possibly a hotel and now I'm working on show tickets. We can go to shows on Thursday night, and Sat. and Sun. matinees. Right now, our picks are Avenue Q, Curtains and Drowsy Chaperone. Any recommendations if we aren't able to get tickets for these?

Edisaurus

« Reply #321 on: March 15, 2007, 04:04:33 PM »

Oh, we get in 3/29 and leave 4/1. We will be at Sacco and Vanzetti at the Quad Cinema in the village on Friday and Saturday nights. We would love to see any HHWers while we're in NY, and hope to see some at our screenings, too. (If you do well opening weekend, that is when the decision is made to hold it over. The first two days!)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #322 on: March 15, 2007, 04:05:33 PM »

This morning I went for a walk at the river preserve. There were lots of baby lizards about. Note the blade of grass:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Cillaliz

« Reply #323 on: March 15, 2007, 04:07:01 PM »

DR Ginny thanks for the email about THIS article about Rupert and CURTAINS. I usually read the NYT right away, but hadn't done so today
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 04:07:57 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #324 on: March 15, 2007, 04:11:27 PM »

Oh! time to go...I have to feed the cats and then go to a birthday party. Rather than gifts and cards she wants us all to give donations to 5 different charities. She's setting out boxes to put the donations in....

Edisaurus

« Reply #325 on: March 15, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »

DR Ginny thanks for the email about THIS article about Rupert and CURTAINS. I usually read the NYT right away, but hadn't done so today

Nice article! Hmmmmm...I wonder if anyone has good contacts for us to buy house seats for CURTAINS... Somebody who might know Mr. Rupert Homes and who has recently done him a big favor. Hmmmmm....

Edisaurus

« Reply #326 on: March 15, 2007, 04:15:03 PM »

Oh! time to go...I have to feed the cats and then go to a birthday party. Rather than gifts and cards she wants us all to give donations to 5 different charities. She's setting out boxes to put the donations in....

That's a cool way to do it! Then you can still have somewhat of a choice in what you support.

Ginny

« Reply #327 on: March 15, 2007, 04:17:00 PM »

Hmmm, a "capacity building" strategy I'll have to pass along to my nonprofit constituents!  You must tell us the recepient options.

Oh, and you're welcome for the email.  I wasn't sure you were still using that address.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #328 on: March 15, 2007, 04:18:05 PM »

DR Edi - have you tried my stand-by hotel, the Comfort Inn-Midtown on W. 46th St?

Ginny

« Reply #329 on: March 15, 2007, 04:19:41 PM »

Off to meet with my book group to discuss Money, A Memoir:  Women, Emotions, and Cash, by Liz Perle.  By the time I get home, our DS Rob will be home from University of Cincinnati for spring break  :D
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up