Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A BLACK FROCK COAT PLAYING A TUBA  (Read 20839 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:A BLACK FROCK COAT PLAYING A TUBA
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2005, 11:48:35 AM »

Noel Coward would have loved the word exsiccate, since he had such a dry wit.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2005, 11:51:30 AM »

I'm going to split for a bit, will return later.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2005, 11:51:55 AM »

I'm going to split for a bit, will return later.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2005, 11:53:42 AM »

Danise, I certainly did see the Hercules goodies.  Thanks for sharing them with me.

Ben

« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2005, 12:02:37 PM »

Mr. Morelli is safely ensconced in Roanoke, VA and ready to being rehearsals for Forum tomorrow.

As mentioned earlier, I will be having a theatre marathon before the Tonys this Sunday. Doubt tomorrow, Spelling Bee Wednesday and Pillowman Thursday.

Back to work tomorrow after this beautiful day off. The weather in NYC has been gorgeous today. It's not supposed to last. We shall see.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2005, 01:02:56 PM »

Back from STAR WARS. Maybe a touch better than the last one, and it was nice seeing the story come full circle. The story has never been Shakespearean despite the depths some people want to read into it. I've always seen it as a sci-fi comic book on the screen, and as such, it's OK.

But the dialogue is so trite that even good actors like Samuel Jackson and Jimmy Smits end up looking like really bad actors. Perhaps they're just TOO accomplished to handle it; mediocre actors might actually do a better job with it. Frank Oz's Yoda, as was the case with the last movie, is the best thing in the movie, and I liked Ewan McGregor the best of the human actors.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2005, 01:05:59 PM »

Still have 8 1/2 to finish and THE MAIDS to watch (can't believe I didn't get to it during the entire weekend).

Matt H.

« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2005, 01:07:06 PM »

Tonight, we're going with make-up and the costumes that are ready. We have an IDR WEdnesday so really only tonight and tomorrow night to fiddle with things before there are people out front watching.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2005, 01:29:14 PM »

Enjoy the Star Wars movie.  It's a lot darker then the others but I have a real beef with one part of it.  After you get back, I'll tell you about it, DR Matt and see if you felt the same way.

I just saw it on Saturday.  I'd be interested, too. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2005, 01:46:02 PM »

When I was probably seven or eight years old (we were living in Colorado), my parents bought a piano from friends of theirs.  My sister got the piano (and piano lessons) and I got an accordian and, appropriately, accordian lessons (a My Favorite Year reference).  Anyway, my sister didn't last very long at all on the piano, but I did take accordian lessons for a couple of years.  After we moved here to Washington, I started dinking around on the piano.  I took for four years (7-11th grade) and when I went to Centralia Community College, I took piano for the two years there.

After I transfered to Western Washington University, I dropped the piano lessons and took voice.  I was planning on becoming a high school choir teacher...it didn't happen. :P I also had to take some pedagogy classes, where we were supposed to learn instruments just enough to be able to teach a kid how to play the instruments.  I took classes on the basoon, clarinet (surprisingly easy to get the low notes...everyone else seemed to have trouble with the low notes), tuba, viola, cello (my favorite) and french horn.  Well, I never became a choir teacher.  I didn't even do my student teaching.  I dropped the "education" part of my music education degree and just got a BA in music.

When I was at WWU, I was in a couple of theatrical productions and fell in love with the acting part (I had already loved Broadway cast recordings since early high school) and continued after I moved back home.  But I never really played any instrument since...even piano...I still have that original piano that my sister got (I traded her a pair of binoculars and a clock radio for it), but it's buried in my extra bedroom (a.k.a. indoor storage ::)).  So that's my musical education in a nutshell. ;D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 01:48:07 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2005, 01:53:37 PM »

Well, I'm off.  My parents are having a barbecue and after that, my friend Margo's eldest daughter is having a group recital with the seven high school seniors who take voice lessons from the same teacher.  I'm going to that recital.  It should be quite good.

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2005, 02:25:48 PM »

I am a sweaty mess. I have built a shoe shelf in the bedroom closet and have been sorting and cleaning and tossing stuff into a garage sale pile.

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2005, 02:26:09 PM »

This morning I watched another Roy Chiao movie called DEATH TRAPS. It is very Hitchock-like and is about a woman who gets drunk and hires a hit man to kill the woman she mistakenly thinks is having an affair with her fiance. Unfortunatley the hit men end up thinking she herself is the intended victim.

Roy was as handsome as ever, but didn't have a whole lot to do in the film other then look handsome...which is still worth the price of admission.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2005, 02:45:37 PM »

George you should put the piano someplace where you will play it again.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: May 30, 2005, 02:46:09 PM »

Sandra how is Scotty?

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2005, 02:56:02 PM »

Scotty isn't anywhere in the house. My brother is out in the living room watching TV, so that might have something to do with it. My dad saw Scotty the other day and thought he was looking at Joshie, so we might be able to keep him around for a long time, provided he, Joshie, and my dad are never in the same room at the same time.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2005, 03:00:17 PM »

"The Chorus" is one of my most played Cds this year. The film did quite well on the Art House circuit here and the DVD has a release date of June.

From memory, François said it was indeed a remake of an earlier film.  I am looking forward to seeing it as too are Colin and OzDerek.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 03:52:56 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2005, 03:05:58 PM »

Okay Sandra, I have a feeling I should know the answer to this but..... Why can't they all be in the same room at the same time?

Tomovoz

« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2005, 03:06:47 PM »

TOTD: Not from a musical family and did not have lessons. Of my childhood friends, I can only remember one having music lessons - mandolin.

I guess we didn't miss what we didn't know. Schools certainly did not offer lessons in the 1950's.

I did take "Music Appreciation" as a subject - so that I could escape Art. (I guess that would have been at your High School level. (aged 15/16). I remember needing to "Sight Read" for my final examination and only getting marks for naming the notes!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2005, 03:07:38 PM »

If my dad realizes that they're two separate cats, he'll throw Scotty out. He's not what you would call a cat person.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ben

« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2005, 03:23:32 PM »

Never answered the TOD. I am not musically trained, even though I performed in musical theatre, but from what I have seen of those in the business, many of my other compatriots were in the same boat.

Danise

« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2005, 03:24:28 PM »

What happened to the lemon tree?

**Chuckle**  I think it's looking pretty good, Jane.  You should have seen it when I got it in the mail.  It was just a twig with two leaves.  

Star Wars III rant.  Was it just me or did anyone have a problem with the good guy cutting someones legs and arm off, watching him catch fire, helpless, in horrible pain and then just leaving him to slide slowly down into the lava river?  He was the bad guy.  I get that part but it seemed unhuman to me not to put him out of his misery.  I had a major problem with that.  

No matter what someone had done to me or had done in general, I never, never EVER could have been that cold and heartless not knowing that he would receive medical attention of some type or at the very least, finishing what I started and put him out of his misery.  

Rant over.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2005, 03:28:32 PM »

Danise, I meant there wasn't a photo of the lemon tree.-LOL

Jane

« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2005, 03:30:45 PM »

I skipped your Star Wars rant.  We have plans to see it on June 2nd even though we aren't expecting to like it.  Odd to go to a movie with such low expectations.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: May 30, 2005, 03:32:50 PM »

Sandra it would be cute if you can get a picture of Joshie and Scotty together.  

Danise

« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2005, 03:40:18 PM »

Danise, I meant there wasn't a photo of the lemon tree.-LOL
You can't see it?   ???
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2005, 04:08:22 PM »

**Chuckle**  I think it's looking pretty good, Jane.  You should have seen it when I got it in the mail.  It was just a twig with two leaves.  

Star Wars III rant.  Was it just me or did anyone have a problem with the good guy cutting someones legs and arm off, watching him catch fire, helpless, in horrible pain and then just leaving him to slide slowly down into the lava river?  He was the bad guy.  I get that part but it seemed unhuman to me not to put him out of his misery.  I had a major problem with that.  

No matter what someone had done to me or had done in general, I never, never EVER could have been that cold and heartless not knowing that he would receive medical attention of some type or at the very least, finishing what I started and put him out of his misery.  

Rant over.

DRDanise, it's you.  If my friend went over to the Dark Side and I had to fight for my life against him, I wouldn't stop to pee on him if he were burning.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2005, 04:25:35 PM »

TOD - no music lessons for me when I was a child.  In fact, I was discouraged from doing anything musical by my school teachers (who should have been fired) and by my sister (who could sing).  I really identified with "Sing" from A Chorus Line.  I was so traumatized that I wouldn't even sing at a birthday party.  

In my early '20's, encouraged by DR elmore and others in our local community theatre, I took voice lessons.  Now, I am by no stretch of the imagination a singer, but I did get to participate in some musicals and, for a while DH Richard (a very good singer) and I were in the choir at church.  I didn't add much, but at least I turned the pages at the right times!

We acquired my mother-in-law's piano when she moved to a retirement community.  No one really plays, but a couple of years ago I took an evening class called "Piano in a Flash" at our local campus.  It was taught by Scott Houston, who you now see a lot on PBS, especially during fund drives.  He made a lot of sense to me and I've been able to play a little.  I don't have much time right now to devote to it, but I'd like to delve more into his methods.  He's online at:
www.scottthepianoguy.com
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2005, 04:31:04 PM »

I played clarinet for a few months in 4th grade.  I've had about a total of 5 years of piano lessons (the piano came much easier than the clariinet) and that was after two years of playing by ear.  I had one year of guitar in high school and I thank my mother daily that she made me take guitar, because if she hadn't, I wouldn't be able to do the job that I do today - teach classroom music from room to room, no piano to lug around.   Good times :)

Danise

« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2005, 04:47:39 PM »

DRDanise, it's you.  If my friend went over to the Dark Side and I had to fight for my life against him, I wouldn't stop to pee on him if he were burning.

Awww, Elmore, you would.   :)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up