Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAYS OF OUR POSTS  (Read 50427 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:THE DAYS OF OUR POSTS
« Reply #300 on: January 20, 2005, 06:12:36 PM »

well it's 9 PM EST Dear Readers all, time to put the Vixter to bed and spend some quality time with the DH...night all!!  

I shall dream tonight of 100,000 posts......................
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #301 on: January 20, 2005, 06:13:06 PM »

right after this dance that is!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Danise

« Reply #302 on: January 20, 2005, 06:19:05 PM »

Good night!  I have go as well.  Another long day tomorrow and a class to boot.  Ugh.  Something else to remember how to do.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #303 on: January 20, 2005, 06:19:09 PM »

I'm listening to my watch right now!  I can't remember where I got it, but Lea Salonga is singing a Filipino song called "Bakit Labis Kitang Mahall."  Does anyone know what this title means??  She does have a lovely voice, but I have no idea what she's singing.

Okay, I'm having a Twilight Zone moment (okay, an hour after the fact)!  I've started to actually place book orders on the library's new acquisitions system (my job) and one of the first books that I have to order is "Learn Filipino" by Victor Eclar Romero!  According to the flyer, it's "written for the non-native Filipino (Tagalog) reader who wants to learn the language to communicate with Filipino family and friends."  What a co-inky-dink! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #304 on: January 20, 2005, 06:37:17 PM »

Actually yes,  :D

they are $3.50 a box and they will be delivered mid March  what's your poison? :D

Thin Mints and Peanut Butter Sandwiches-one or two boxes each, depending how many you want to ship.  If you don't want to ship any I can buy them here, but I don't have anyone special to purchase them from.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #305 on: January 20, 2005, 06:47:30 PM »

DR SWW - of course you are correct.  The wait staff cannot serve food until it is prepared....and the weather was wreaking havoc on the entire city it sounds like.  So I stand corrected.

DR JOSE'S show was delayed by bad weather - causing MANY inconveniences for a LOT of people!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #306 on: January 20, 2005, 06:47:50 PM »

True DR JANE and DR DANISE on both counts.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #307 on: January 20, 2005, 06:48:28 PM »

Enjoying an unexpected "at home" evening, because a snowstorm kept my book group from meeting.  I stopped at the hostess' house and when my footprints were the only ones in the snow leading to her front door knew that I'd be heading on home.  So, I'm having fun loading more music-to-work-by into my iPod.  
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #308 on: January 20, 2005, 06:54:53 PM »

Thin Mints and Peanut Butter Sandwiches-one or two boxes each, depending how many you want to ship.  If you don't want to ship any I can buy them here, but I don't have anyone special to purchase them from.

How do you know what type of Girl Scout cookies they offer?  I thought that each area had their own selection?  Seattle offers different cookie varieties than Tacoma.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Kerry

« Reply #309 on: January 20, 2005, 07:00:33 PM »

I shan't even think about pastries.   You might end up with a tome worthy of Marcel Proust (although you all know how I feel about cake).

Well, SpongeBob is now in good company-- alongside Barney, Bert and Ernie and Winky-tink (or was it Tinky-wink?).   Apparently the Christian Right feels that Sponge Bob's sexual indentity is a threat to our youth.   I am so glad they have nothing more important to worry about.  My God, what next, another Murphy Brown boycott?

I like boat races.

Tomovoz

« Reply #310 on: January 20, 2005, 07:04:17 PM »

DR Jane is disconnected from either HHW or reality or both. She has asked me to say goodnight to her friends out there in the dark.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Kerry

« Reply #311 on: January 20, 2005, 07:07:24 PM »

I was at the library yesterday and got the CD of Bernard Herrmann's score to "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir."  It's very Bernard Herrmann, but still more subtle than the stuff he did for Hitchcock in later years.  The themes are quite lovely.  You can certainly see where John Barry got some of his inspiration.

I had gone to return the DVD of "Brief Encounter."  It has been marvelously restored, and the blacks and grays are very rich.  The movie made quite an impact on me decades ago when I first saw it, and Iwas not disappointed.  Celia Johnson's performance is so understated and yet so accurate.  I had not improved it in my memory over the years; it was as good as i had hoped.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #312 on: January 20, 2005, 07:30:43 PM »

Good health and good thoughts go out to all who need them.
I like boat races.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #313 on: January 20, 2005, 07:32:53 PM »

Oh dear...does anyone else find it disconcerting that my school's library carries no poetry by Emerson, no Cummings, no Melville, no Nabokov (too controversial)...yet it carries at least five different versions of the Christian bible.  Since it's the only literature my school's library provides, I decided that I would read the new testament.  I was looking for a nice traditional version, when I noticed a psychadelic blue book called The Way that was apparently given out on college campuses in the seventies.  It involves lots of photos of hippies who are filled with Christ love and illegal substances praying in harmony, and the text is translated into hippie-speak.  I just read Mark.  It was quite amusing.

TOD: I love fruit tarts passionatly, but the best pastry in the world is surely that pink puffy thing that the American tourists eat in the first act of Sunday In The Park With George.  Does that not look delicious?
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Kerry

« Reply #314 on: January 20, 2005, 07:32:55 PM »

OK, so I just read the posts from where I had left off this morning.  You've all discussed the SpongeBob issue.  
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2005, 07:46:48 PM »

When I was little, Bismarks could also be a chocolate covered custard filled doughnut OR a glazed jelly filled doughnut.  The term seemed to apply to a number of things depending on the bakery.  With a place like Phoenix being mostly made up of people from other places around the country, a lot of regional terms were used and applied to different things.  To me, "jeans," Levi's," "blue jeans," "denims," "dungarees,"etc. ALL meant blue jeans.  Yet these same terms meant slightly different things to different people depending on where they were from.

I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #316 on: January 20, 2005, 08:06:47 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]@ @ @ @ @  CONGRATS TO US ON 90,000  @ @ @ @ @[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Michael

« Reply #317 on: January 20, 2005, 08:08:03 PM »

It is not The Tin Man who is gay in the Wizard of Oz. It's the Lion and he freely admits to Dorothy.

Yeh, it's sad, believe me, Missy,
When you're born to be a sissy
Without the vim and verve.
But I could show my prowess, be a lion not a mou-ess
If I only had the nerve.
I'm afraid there's no denyin' I'm just a dandelion,
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #318 on: January 20, 2005, 08:13:31 PM »

Can I speak of pastries?
Valrhona Chocolate Doughnut from DOUGHNUT PLANT, NYC, is my boom (it’s Japanese-English and means indicating something which you very personaly are crazy for, not completely relating to general trend)  And also Cinnamon Buns must be recommended. The shop was opened last year near my house and still now customer’s lines are around there like Beard Papa’s Cream Puffs’. In the US, they have shops only in New York City?

From what I can find, the DOUGHNUT PLANT has just one bakery, located in New York City, New York.  Not being able to read Japanese, I don't know if there's much more information at the Japanese site.

BEARD PAPA'S CREAM PUFFS' United States stores are located entirely in NYC so far, but it appears that they will soon have a shop in New Jersey.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #319 on: January 20, 2005, 08:31:53 PM »

Oh dear...does anyone else find it disconcerting that my school's library carries no poetry by Emerson, no Cummings, no Melville, no Nabokov (too controversial)...yet it carries at least five different versions of the Christian bible.  Since it's the only literature my school's library provides, I decided that I would read the new testament.  I was looking for a nice traditional version, when I noticed a psychadelic blue book called The Way that was apparently given out on college campuses in the seventies.  It involves lots of photos of hippies who are filled with Christ love and illegal substances praying in harmony, and the text is translated into hippie-speak.  I just read Mark.  It was quite amusing.
I remember The Way.  This version came out about the time the phrase "born again" was born.  At the time, the phrase had an innocence implied, that the person who was "born again" had experienced a spiritual rebirth, a revelation as heady as a drug experience, through the teachings of Christ.  These people were fully genuine in their beliefs.

I've often felt that the "born again" experience has been diluted by people who have taken the phrase as part of a social one-upsmanship, who have not had that spiritual rebirth.  It's the popular thing to do in their community, so they plaster on the smile and talk the talk and walk the walk.

But then, I'm one of those people who look at a person's eyes more than his or her mouth.  Eyes don't lie, but mouths can be twisted into a smile.

The saddest part of this is that there are those out there who do have that spiritual rebirth, even now, who feel "born again," but the phrase has been co-opted and made suspicious.  I wish I were meeting more of this kind of person.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #320 on: January 20, 2005, 09:04:25 PM »

DR George - With the assistance of my Mom - oh, I guess this is her first official appearance on HHW then!...

Bakit Labis Kitang Mahal = Why Do I Love You More?

It also happens to be the title of the movie that Lea Solanga did in the Philippines after finishing her run in Miss Saigon in the US, and the song appeared on her self-titled album.

The movie concerns Lea's characters choosing between to men, thus the song title's question.

It's actually listed on the IMDB.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #321 on: January 20, 2005, 09:07:24 PM »

As DR JRand pointed out, the various delays yesterday were caused by the snow and ice and subsequent accidents and traffic snarls.

However, tonight's show did start on time.  Alas, the show was only 50-70% sold tonight, and, apparently, a bunch of people called to re-schedule their seats for another night, so... There were a lot of empty seats tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #322 on: January 20, 2005, 09:11:59 PM »

DR Hisaka - WOW!  You've been to the Donut Plant!!!  I've mentioned the place here before on HHW a few times.  One of my favorite places in NYC!  And those donuts truly are amazing!  All the flavors he makes.  I think my favorites are the orange-glazed and pistachio-glazed.  Apparently, he started selling a gold-leafed donut.  Hmm...  Some of the Dean and DeLuca locations in Manhattan sell Donut Plant donuts.

And since the donuts are so big, it's actually usually only possible to eat one at a time.  *The donuts are cooked to a point past where "regular" donuts are cooked - they get a slightly crispy crust.  All organic ingredients too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #323 on: January 20, 2005, 09:20:11 PM »

TOD: I love fruit tarts passionatly, but the best pastry in the world is surely that pink puffy thing that the American tourists eat in the first act of Sunday In The Park With George.  Does that not look delicious?

...And I've mentioned this before too...

I went to a Catholic High School.  Our summer reading lists consisted of a lot of titles that were banned in the public schools.  "Catcher in the Rye", "The Adventures of Huck Finn", etc.  Heck, we even read sections of "Lady Chatterly's Lover" in my Junior Year AP English class.  It always amazed me - and still does - at just how "progressive" my Catholic high school was compared to the so-called "liberal" public high schools in the area.  And as the years go by, I become more thankful for the extremely well-rounded education I received there.  I will admit, I do have issues with some of the Diocesan policies, but...

And I also have to Thank my parents for sending all four of us boys to private schools for our education.  Quite the financial sacrifice.

As for that "pink puffy thing"... I've done Sunday in the Park twice, and one of the funnest things was watching the props department come up with a "pink puffy thing".  Ah, the things one can do with a can of Redi-Whip!

-Umm... DR TCB... I think that was your cue!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #324 on: January 20, 2005, 09:22:06 PM »

The video of NUNCRACKERS turned out OK, so here are three captures. I'll upload three more tomorrow so as not to wear out my welcome.

This first pic is my solo from the first act - "The Christmas Box" (which I'm carrying in my hand and about to present to "Maria.")

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #325 on: January 20, 2005, 09:22:37 PM »

RE: Bakeries in New York - My favorite stand-by lately has been Amy's Breads.  I usually go to the 9th Ave. location.  There are a few Italian bakeries in that neighborhood too.  Always fun stopping in and getting a pound or two of various biscotti for snacking while in NYC.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #326 on: January 20, 2005, 09:24:06 PM »

SpongeBob gay?

Old news!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #327 on: January 20, 2005, 09:25:03 PM »

Dancing with the Reverend Mother during her solo "A Carnival Christmas."

Matt H.

« Reply #328 on: January 20, 2005, 09:27:55 PM »

As Sister Julia, Child of God, I'm giving a lesson on how to prepare a fruitcake.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #329 on: January 20, 2005, 09:28:25 PM »

A Napoleon should always have custard.  It has been a long time since I have had a good Napoleon.  

There is a patisserie in New York City that specializes in napoleons.  In fact, I think the the name of the place is Napoleon - I'll need to double check my facts later...  In any case...

When you walk in, the bakery cases are filled with napoleons - chocolate, vanilla, various fruits, custards, etc.  And they're big too - big enough to share - if you dare!  Sooo good.  The Chocolate-Hazelnut and the Almond Cream-Raspberry are/were my favorites.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 09:29:46 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up