Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A FAERIE PRINCESS ON SPEEDBALLS  (Read 10946 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:LIKE A WINGED FAERIE ON SPEEDBALLS
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2004, 08:10:46 AM »

Hey DRS Stuart, MBarnum, and RLP: Let's hear your Big Brother and TAR predictions for tonight!

TAR:  I am both hoping for, and thinking that Chip and Kim might pull it out.  And I am thrilled that the moms are part of the final 4.  I would not be sad to see Colin/Christie or Brandon/Nicole bite the dust.  I would like Colin to bite the dust in an embarassingly bad fashion.

BB5:  I am hoping that Drew will win.  I am thinking that Cowboy will actually win, however.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2004, 08:11:43 AM »

Yes to the windchimes - but get good ones, not Target.
As for a table... Just yesterday I threw out a bill I've had for 8 years from a little furniture place in the Valley that would have had the kind of table required. Oh well. They probably don't exist anymore.

Teachers: Miss Bessie Breckenridge in Grade 6. And Donald Combe in Grade 8.
Miss Breckenridge I've posted about before. I'll write about her later today. Haven't got the time right now.
Donald Combe was my Speech and Drama teacher. When the year ended he took me aside and told me that I was talented and that if I wanted he would teach me privately, free. And that's what happened. For the next three years I would go once a week to his apartment for lessons in speech, verse, cold reading, you name it... (And before you start snickering, he was/is gay.) We still keep in touch. A wonderful man to whom I will be forever grateful.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 08:14:46 AM by Panni »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2004, 08:13:37 AM »

PAGE TWO DANCE:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HULLY[/move][/font][/size]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]GULLY[/move][/font][/size]

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2004, 08:15:21 AM »

Teachers: Miss Bessie Breckenridge in Grade 6.

Any relation to Myron/Myra?   ;)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:LIKE A FAERIE PRINCESS ON SPEEDBALLS
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2004, 08:23:16 AM »

At first, Joe Weiss was my piano teacher, and as unconventional as they come.  Sometimes, an entire lesson would be spent without touching the piano, just talking.  At other times, I'd be playing a piece and he'd be wandering around the house, perhaps chatting with a parent while I played.  Do other piano teachers do this?

And what's the first thing you do when you approach a new piece of music?  You orchestrate it, of course!  You look at a set of triads and say "that's brass" or a sustained note in the bass and say "cellos."  According to Joe, you consciously think of attacking these notes at the piano as if you were playing the flute, timpani, or whatever.

Before long, it was clear I was not progressing (I never practiced) and, since there was no possible way I'd ever amount to a reasonable pianist we'd better switch to something I was interested in: composition.  Joe had studied under Copland, and, of course, his approach was, again, unconventional.  He had me write in the styles of different composers - I remember spending a lot of time creating Bach-like chorales.  And I guess you could say some theory was thrown in along the way.  By looking at the elements of style in various composers, you begin to understand how such elements work.

Later, in college, Professor Kenneth Koch (did you take from him, DR Jay?) had the same theory.  In a survey course on modern poetry, we'd read a different poet every week and end up by writing a poem in that poet's style.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2004, 08:33:40 AM »

I didn't check our handy-dandy calendar again!  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

We've got us a birthday to celebrate.  Notes have been amended.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2004, 08:41:36 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Laura.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2004, 08:58:02 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR LAURA  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2004, 08:58:13 AM »

BK, I don't think I ever knew Mrs. Tollefson's first name. I just called Griffin Creek Elementary School to find out. They are researching it and told me to call them back tomorrow...I also e-mailed my mom...she might remember.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2004, 09:00:30 AM »

DR Jennifer,
I am thinking that Drew will likely win BB5...but you never know...it depends so much on what each member of the jury bases there vote on. I would be happy with either Drew or Michael winning.

As for TAR...I am hoping the bowling mom's win..but if Chip and Kim win that would be OK by me also...I will be most disappointed if Colin and whats-her-name win...I would also like to see Colin crash and burn!  ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2004, 09:01:03 AM »

Happy, happy birthday DR Laura!!!!!!!!! Hope you have a wonderful Birth Day!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2004, 09:05:39 AM »

Miss Kelley was a substitute 7th Grade English teacher. She taught us for two wonderful weeks - and she made a huge and lasting impression. She gave us a creative writing assignment that seemed to bring out the best in me - and she provided detailed, constructive, and encouraging comments. She filled in for Miss Gertrude Brennan - the lazy and unpleasant English, Social Studies and Home Room teacher.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2004, 09:07:12 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy
Birthday
To
Dear
Reader
And
Favorite
Photographer
Laura
[/move]

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2004, 09:28:38 AM »

BK,

For a butcher block table, you may want to try phoning a restaurant supply store.

Ben

« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2004, 09:42:55 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to our favorite photographer and walker, DR Laura.

Sandra, will you be making a cake for your dear mother, or perhaps some floop? Or maybe DRs Kerry and MusicGuy will supply the cake!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2004, 09:48:39 AM »

Didn't notice till you pointed it out.

On the notes page it's

Faerie Princess on Speedballs

and on the post page it's

Winged Faerie on Speedballs

And now it reads:

LIKE A WINGED FAERIE ON SPEEDBALLS
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2004, 09:50:19 AM »

Another was my AP English teacher in high school, Harris Sarney.  He taught me -- indirectly -- how to live with dignity as a gay man.  

I agree.  He was a good role model.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2004, 09:50:42 AM »

Thank you all for your birthday wishes!!

I am off to buy myself a birthday present -- binoculars to replace the ones that were stolen on a recent trip to the zoo.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2004, 09:53:46 AM »

Later, in college, Professor Kenneth Koch (did you take from him, DR Jay?) had the same theory.  In a survey course on modern poetry, we'd read a different poet every week and end up by writing a poem in that poet's style.

I never did take any of Koch's classes.  He was the god of poetry at Columbia, it's true, but I was more interested in those lengthy 19th century novels from Europe and the U.S.

Jay

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2004, 09:56:42 AM »

Happy Birthday to Walker/Photographer Extraordinaire Dear Reader Laura!!!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 09:57:49 AM by Jay »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2004, 10:00:05 AM »

And now it reads:

LIKE A WINGED FAERIE ON SPEEDBALLS

It's--it's like someone--is playing MIND GAMES with us!!!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jay

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2004, 10:00:23 AM »

Without Social Studies teacher Mrs. Bernstein I would be unaware to this day that the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire.

And without Algebra teacher Mrs. Libby I would never have learned that you are either pregnant or you are not.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2004, 10:09:43 AM »

Sister Desideratta (I think that's how her name was spelled) in third grade taught us that if you name off the months of the year on your knuckles and the little valleys between them, on your left hand and then to your right, you can tell which months have 31 days (they are the months that land on the knuckles.)
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2004, 10:17:20 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR LAURA!!! :) ;) :D ;D 8) ::) :P :-*

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2004, 10:20:26 AM »

One of the things that really ticks me off with the school voucher crowd is the idea that "we must take our children out of failing public schools".  Instead of running away, fix the damned school system.  My public school education was one of the best I ever had and I thank God for it every day.  I got a great grounding in the four "r"'s.  Yes, I said FOUR "r's" -  reading, writing, arithmetic, and my own additon, "rote"  (Kids should be taught to memorize dates and names and the Gettysburg address and the Preamble to the Constitution and poems and Shakespeare soliloquies).

Put money in your school system instead of bogus "tax breaks" and pointless Iraqi wars and your school systems won't fail.  Teaching is the most underpaid,underappreciated career in the world.  It's shameless in this country how we give education such short shrift when it comes to our tax dollars and our time.

I had memorable teachers all through my school years from kindergarten up.  I can almost remember one from every year I had in school.

But the two who probably helped me and shaped me and prepared me more than anyone were Norman Yonce, my high school senior English and Creative Writing teacher and my college theatre professor, Charles F. Dickens (yes, "Charles Dickens" was his real name).

We were the very first class (Class of 68) Norman Yonce had at Highlands High.  And it had a great influence on not just me, but lots of other seniors in his Advanced English and Creative Writing Classes.  He was also a pal.  At graduation festivities when we read the Class Will, here's what it said about my bequest:  "Chuck Pogue leaves the corner of Mr. Yonce's desk."  Because that's where you could usually find me perched in the morning, between classes, or after school.  Sitting on the corner of his desk, shooting the breeze with him.  He introduced us to all kinds of interesting literature.  In Creative Writing, we not only studied the classic poetry, but also the poetry of the Beatles and we spent many a class listening to the Rod McKuen/Anita Kerr Singers records...THE EARTH, THE SEA, THE SKY.  He gave me TEMPLE OF GOLD to read, then YOUR TURN TO CURTSY, MY TURN TO BOW which started a life-long love affair with the books of William Goldman (I still have the original paperbacks Yonce gave me; I also have rare first editions of both books).

Yonce also prepared me for college better than anyone and gave me the best advice about it when I was graduating..."In the next four years your life is going to change so dramatically that all this high school angst will seem like small potatoes."  He was right, it did.

Charles Dickens, my theatre prof, prepared me for a theatre career and ingrained in me a sense of professionalism that still carries through to my work today.  Like Yonce, he also became a friend and a pal.  I was one of the his inner circle who was often invited to lunch with him at the Saratoga restaurant, his watering hole in Lexington.  These were long lunches where Charles imbibed martinis and waxed philosophical and told theatre stories and we jabbered about old movies.  He was  a fabulous director and our professional relationship became such that by the end of college an audition was pretty much him asking me: "What part would you like to do?"  He was witty, colourful, dapper (an immaculate dresser) talented, and a complete man of the theatre.  To hear his booming laughter rolling out of dark theatre when you were performing was warm validation.

Jennifer

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2004, 10:25:26 AM »

TAR:  I am both hoping for, and thinking that Chip and Kim might pull it out.  And I am thrilled that the moms are part of the final 4.  I would not be sad to see Colin/Christie or Brandon/Nicole bite the dust.  I would like Colin to bite the dust in an embarassingly bad fashion.

BB5:  I am hoping that Drew will win.  I am thinking that Cowboy will actually win, however.

I really like Chip and Kim. But they have made some bad mistakes recently.  I didn't like how they decided not to yield the twins.  And I thought Chip was stupid for practically knocking others over in order to yield Colin.  I'm also not that impressed with Kim's contributions.

I'm not thrilled the moms are part of the Final 4. Although did you know they are actually bowling doubles champs. So maybe they do have some atheletic ability.  They seem too silly and make too mistakes for my taste.

I like Brandon and Nicole. Although did you know that she is only like 21 (and she won or placed high up in I think Miss Teen USA).  It looks like Nicole has some sort of melt down.  This team is very nice. But they haven't really shown me anything.

And as for Colin and Christie.  I know most people want them to lose and lose bad.  But I don't.  I want him to apologize for his behavior.  But to me this is the only team that deserves to win.  They are so strong and so smart.  The only other team as smart was Charla and Mirna.

Anyhow it will be interesting to see. Oh and I wouldn't want to be Chip and Kim when Colin comes after them tonight.  I suspect C & K will lose, simply because Colin will yield them.

As for BB5: I still think Drew will win.  But it depends on who the twins vote for. I wrote that I thought Jen, Diane, marvin, and  will would vote for drew (with nat, adria and karen voting for cowboy).

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2004, 10:28:20 AM »

DR Jennifer,
I am thinking that Drew will likely win BB5...but you never know...it depends so much on what each member of the jury bases there vote on. I would be happy with either Drew or Michael winning.

As for TAR...I am hoping the bowling mom's win..but if Chip and Kim win that would be OK by me also...I will be most disappointed if Colin and whats-her-name win...I would also like to see Colin crash and burn!  ;)

For BB5, who do you think each will vote for? I agree it is hard. The only we know for sure is that jen and diane will most likely vote for drew.

Btw, I am surprised you guys both like the bowling moms.  Maybe it's their underdog status.  But to me I want the BEST team to win.  Granted they have been good at a few things.  But they get lost so often.  And I really think they are just lucky to still be there.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 10:31:59 AM by Jennifer »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2004, 10:33:22 AM »

Good Morning!

...Slowly, but surely waking up right now... I woke up with a headache... basically dehydrated... Then I turned on the news and saw the "Red Flag" warnings in regards to the brush fires since the air is very dry today and the winds have been blowing... Ah, that explains it!  So, I'm just waiting for the water to kick in, and then...

Or I could just go back to bed for a few...

Hmmm...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2004, 10:33:55 AM »

Oh and I mentioned yesterday that all Krispy Kremes in Montreal are giving a dozen free donuts to everyone with a coupon (appearing in the paper every day this week).

Today I went to get mine.  There were maybe 50 others in line.  But it went fast. EVERYONE was using the coupon. :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2004, 10:35:23 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR DearReaderLaura!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up