Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS  (Read 82829 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:THE MYSTERY OF THE LEEKS
« Reply #150 on: January 11, 2005, 01:41:01 PM »

Her Royal Highness Latifa might make an interesting Effie...
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #151 on: January 11, 2005, 01:44:16 PM »

Oh, that movie of LADY IN THE DARK is so terrible. But it's beautiful to look at in color.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: January 11, 2005, 01:46:41 PM »

Lillias White did Effie on the concert recording, and she is a wonderful singing actress. I, however, also found her underwhelming as Effie on that recording even though I know she has done the show on stage. Wasn't she in the DREAMGIRLS revival that played Broadway a decade ago or so?

I wouldn't mind hearing Queen Latifa try Effie's music, but from the sound of the article, they're looking for an unknown. David Geffen, of course, is producing. He's been sitting on these rights since the beginning, and he could have had Whitney Houston as Deena a decade or so ago before she got so messed up.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 01:47:58 PM by Matt H. »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #153 on: January 11, 2005, 01:48:43 PM »

One of my favourite film musicals is GOODBYE,MR. CHIPS which is full of mostly negligible, if not lousy, songs (except for one or two) and stars Peter O'Toole who can't sing a jot.  Go figure.

Mine, too!  In fact, I think it's one of the last GREAT movie-movies...sweetly old-fashioned with elegant production values.

O'Toole is brilliant, Clark is spectacular and Sian Phillips is absolutely "delicious" as Ursula Mossbank.

I'm afraid, though, that I adore the music.  I know the lyrics are often dreadful...but the music, itself, is quite lovely.  It has a magnificent "underscore" free of the vocals that works exceptionally well.

But most of all, it has the "Flossie from Fulham" number in which the world finally knew the truth of it:

"London is London...."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2005, 01:49:57 PM »

Sorry to read you're under the weather, DR RLP. Hope you feel better.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2005, 01:50:18 PM »

Elmore, that's what makes horse races.  I actually like much of the music in LADY IN THE DARK andI certainly enjoyed the production I saw.  I find it an interesting and intriguing musical, but not a great musical.  The operatic aspects you mentioned are things I am not overwhelmed with.  Of course, my introduction to this musical besides the bad Ginger Rogers film version which jettisons most, if not all, of the score, was a recording by Opera star Rise Stevens and I found her acting ability a bit limited.  

Limited?  DRCharles Pogue, she's terrible!  The late great John Reardon and Adolph Green are the only reasons to listen to that recording.  You know who I like on that recording?  The wonderful soprano who plays Sutton and sings "Huxley."  I don't remember her name.

So much of popular song todayshows no craft in writing, and its Weill's solid technique that makes the dream sequences so fascinating to me; like the reason CANDIDE is a great piece of composition and PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is not.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 01:51:00 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #156 on: January 11, 2005, 01:54:26 PM »

How much of LADY IN THE DARK's score was used in the Ann Sothern TV version? I've never seen nor heard it, though I know the CD is available (or was, probably OOP by now), and the video has been floating around for ages.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: January 11, 2005, 01:54:47 PM »

I'm sort of in-between on casting actors over singers.  I've found some of the most moving musicals I've seen had stronger actors than singers playing the roles.  One of my favourite singers, who introduced probably more classic songs than anyone, was Fred Astaire...who, let's face it, was far from the greatest singer, but had a lot of style and panache and could put over a song.  

I love Fred Astaire, but no one woud have written a score like CANDIDE or CAROUSEL for him.  The songs in GAY DIVORCE are tailored for him, but Porter would never have proposed him for KISS ME, KATE.  My favorite musical may be MY FAIR LADY, and I never want to hear a singer play Higgins.  I saw Frank Langella do the role in 1990, and I thought he was wonderful.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2005, 01:58:57 PM »

How much of LADY IN THE DARK's score was used in the Ann Sothern TV version? I've never seen nor heard it, though I know the CD is available (or was, probably OOP by now), and the video has been floating around for ages.

There's actually more than I thought when I first found the old RCA recording in a used bin.  It's all re-orchestrated in echt-1950s style by Irwin Kostal, and re-routined a lot.  Ann requires a lot of downward transposition (no high C at the end of "Jenny") but Carlton Carpenter is quite wonderful as Russell Paxton.

If you'd like, I can burn you a CD (now I need to check to make sure I have it!).  Just PM me your address.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: January 11, 2005, 02:01:15 PM »

We received an interesting review in this morning's paper for our production of NATIONAL PASTIME.  The reviewer seemed to like most of the cast, but didn't care for the play itself.  That is fine, but nobody can quite figure out what exactly she thought was missing or ignored.  Perhaps she was hoping for an actual lynching or a cross-burning onstage.

I don't know how to connect this link, but here's hoping it works.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/ae/story/4433450p-4192820c.html

« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 02:02:02 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2005, 02:07:55 PM »

Re:  Goodbye Mr. Chips.  I love it, too, including the music.

"London is London" was recycled by Bricusse for his Sherlock Holmes musical.  And there's a nice CD of the stage version of Chips with John Mills.

Do any of you Chips fans remember Petula Clark dissing Leslie Bricusse and the score on not one, but two, Merv Griffin shows shortly after the film was released?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2005, 02:14:28 PM »

And for a revival.  How about Sweet Charity with Christina Applegate....NOT.

DRJMK, I meant to comment on this earlier.  I'm not a fan of the show SWEET CHARITY, much as I love the score, but I wish Miss Applegate great success with it, just as I did with Mr Combs in RAISIN IN THE SUN.  I think she'll be funny, I'm certain her dancing will be better than Melanie Griffith's wherein the CHICAGO moves were simplified, and I hope she's as much of a nice surprise for Broadway audiences as Constance Towers, Alexis Smith, and Patricia Morison were after their Hollywood moments ranging from the good to the bad and the ugly.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 02:15:29 PM by elmore3003 »

Matt H.

« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2005, 02:17:06 PM »

Do any of you Chips fans remember Petula Clark dissing Leslie Bricusse and the score on not one, but two, Merv Griffin shows shortly after the film was released?

NO! I had no idea! She had two of the best numbers in the score: "London Is London" and "You And I," my two favorite songs in the movie! What was she complaining about?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2005, 02:22:46 PM »

My two fav songs from GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS are "London Is London" and "Walk Through The World With Me".  I do a peccable (Oooh!  A CHIPS reference) impression of O'Toole croaking through "What A Lot Of Flowers"  and, yes, despite the fact he can't sing a jot, he's still brilliant and deserved his AA nomination.  Petula is charming, and Sian Phillips as Ursula, simply divine!

JMK, I have been tempted on more than one occasion to pick up the stage version of CHIPS with John Mills, but have always not, assuming he can't sing any better than O'Toole.  And I just don't want anything to diminish my love of the movie.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2005, 02:31:37 PM »

YAAAAAAAAAAY!

I'm now a (gasp) JUNIOR (at my age?) member.

Feels like I should get a plastic statuette!!

"I would like to thank my family, friends and the voting committee (sniff!)"

:)

And when you reach 101 posts, you'll have (oops!) be a full member! ::) ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2005, 02:41:19 PM »

Golden Globe gift bags:

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/002920.html

So what item would each of you like?

Well, if you're not using the trip to Ozzie land, of course I only really want it to visit Tom & Derek!

Gosh I live an unpretentous life, I don't even KNOW
what some of those things are, well off to Target...
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2005, 02:43:16 PM »

YAAAAAAAAAAY!

I'm now a (gasp) JUNIOR (at my age?) member.

Feels like I should get a plastic statuette!!

"I would like to thank my family, friends and the voting committee (sniff!)"

Congrats on your shiny new star!!
:)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

JMK

« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2005, 02:44:08 PM »

Pet just didn't like the music--said it didn't work for her and that she couldn't get Bricusse to change anything.  I can't remember which song she said she could stand--it was one of the ballads, either "You And I" or "Walk Through The World", I want to say the former.  She sang it on the first show.  Y'all probably know this already, but she also released a pop version of "Fill the World With Love" that is a nice reworking of that song.

On the second episode, she was talking about whatever her next movie was going to be (was there ever a next movie?) and Merv goaded her a little about Chips and the music and she laughed and said it wasn't going to be a musical so she wouldn't have to deal with any obstinant composer/lyricists.

CP:  the CD is enjoyable on its own terms, but it's quite a bit different from the movie version, including rearranged numbers (i.e., sequence is different, though the orchestrations are obviously different, too, LOL) as well as several new numbers.  IIRC (it's been a while since I read the liner notes), Mrs. Chipping doesn't die in a buzz bomb accident, but (perhaps, memory failing) giving birth.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2005, 02:55:30 PM »

TCB - interesting review...very cryptic.  I've got a ticket to see it on Sunday...can't wait

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2005, 02:56:08 PM »

At lunch today, I went to my local post office and mailed the following packages:

To DR JMK:  BK's radio interview
To DR MattH:  my laserdisc soundtrack of 1776
To DR Elmore:  BK's radio interview and my laserdisc soundtrack of 1776
And to DR Ben:  TMT's new Christmas CD

Did I forget something? :-[ Did I get everyone's requests correct? :-\ Please let me know. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2005, 02:58:02 PM »

Of course, Mr. Bricusse was only one of many composer/lyricists approached to write the songs.  I had an album, a demo, two discs, of songs by these others written on spec - very interesting.  One of the composers was Tony Hatch, which is why Petula may think less of what Mr. Bricusse did.  On one of the Tony Hatch compilation CDs, you can hear Petula sing his title song, and it's quite pretty.

Kerry

« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2005, 03:05:49 PM »

I hear that LA got a respite from the rain today.  IS that true?  I haven't read the posts yet, or I might know the answer.

As to the leeks, EVERYONE knows they were made into a delicious potato leek soup which can be frozen in various sized portions and microwaved on cold rainy days.

There are number of songs from musicals that I like, but I think the books are somewhat weak.  Maybe they should just do the revivals in concert form.  "Tenderloin" is a great example.  Wonderful score, great choreography, but even with someone like Maurice Evans carrying it, the book wasn't as strong as it could be.  Who do we have today like a Maurice Evans?

For sometime, I've wanted them to revive "La Cage" which they did.  Not that I'm any closer to seeing it, but at least they did it.  I'd have to see the current cast to know whether or not it was right or not.

Actually, "Fanny" might be worth reviving.  Lovely score.  Good book.  Great parts for character actors.  And yet, I have no idea who could do it.
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2005, 03:05:50 PM »

Welcome eight GUESTS.  We're talkin' about revivals.  

I had Popeye's for my meal o' the day.  If the weather holds, I suppose I'll try and go see this play later.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2005, 03:06:22 PM »

At lunch today, I went to my local post office and mailed the following packages:

To DR Elmore:  BK's radio interview and my laserdisc soundtrack of 1776

Did I forget something? :-[ Did I get everyone's requests correct? :-\ Please let me know. :)

DRGeorge, thank you so much!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2005, 03:07:18 PM »

Jane said:

"Jose I have saved the tea info.  I have never seen and English/Asian tea shoppe, very interesting.  However, I may not be getting to DC next October so I can spend my free time in NY.  I expect you will be living there by then."

There are many tea shops in New York including the small but fun Tea and Sympathy on Greenwich Avenue in the Village and Lady Mendl's Tea Salon on 17th Street and Irving Place. I haven't been to any of the "high tea" palaces but we do have a list of where they are. Perhaps when you get here we can all have "tea" and Anthony will come this time and you can see his miniature pictures in person.

Kerry, so glad to see you posting again!

Tea sounds like fun.  I saw the miniature pictures in person (Penny & I had a grand time looking at them).  It is Anthony I haven't met in person and would like to do so.

Jane

« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2005, 03:09:53 PM »

Matt H we haven’t watched Medium yet.

DerBrucer, pretty picture of John Wannamaker’s.  It looks like the mall that was across from the Liberty Bell where Alfredo’s was located.
The "Elsies Tea Room" is another place I missed out on.  Santa Monica has two English shops, one of which has a tea room.  I have picked up food from the counter and wasn’t thrilled.

Kerry I thought firm polenta tastes like hardened cream of wheat, but never marzipan.

Dan (the Man) “Thanks, DR George.  Here's what I get when I properly adjust the aspect ratio of my avatar pic:”  ROTFLOL

And Jed- ;D

George, before we moved out of our bedroom again I checked if the DVD of SAMANTHA worked, and it does.  Thank you.  Not Keith’s sort of movie.  I will watch it some afternoon by myself.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2005, 03:12:56 PM »

Actually, "Fanny" might be worth reviving.  Lovely score.  Good book.  Great parts for character actors.  And yet, I have no idea who could do it.

Well, let's see:

Marius:  Sean McDermott/Gavin Creel
Fanny:  Christiane Noll
Panisse: Walter Bobbie
Cesar:  Ron Raines

JMK

« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2005, 03:15:30 PM »

Thanks, George.  Gifthorse time:  if you feel like sending me 1776, I'll trade something to be determined at a later date.  Am I still on the What If list?

BK, do you remember who else did Chips on spec?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2005, 03:16:57 PM »

I would love to see a first-class revival of ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN.

I sure hope it work's better on stage then it does on film!

I take delight in Shaffer's word-smithing but the film never seemed to grab me the way I think it should.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2005, 03:18:11 PM »

And to think I thought you may have been trying to poach frozen bears.  You have so many recipes OzDerek.

;D  MY smile is for the photo that isn't here.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 03:23:36 PM by Jane »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up