Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BURNT RUBBER  (Read 23052 times)

FJL

Re:BURNT RUBBER
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2006, 07:52:28 PM »

And one for (Blank)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2006, 07:52:48 PM »

Might I just ask what is this paucity of postings?  Most unseemly and perhaps we shall achieve a new all-time low.

Back from taping a really fun radio show, eating a really fun Mexican lunch, and seeing Dreamgirls (which had a Q&A with Bill Condon after the film - Randall Kleiser moderating in most boring style and I finally left).  I will have much to say on this film.  Unlike many theater fans (on the Internet especially) I am not one of these people who is thrilled to simply have a new movie musical - I think the movie musical has to be excellent to get excited.  So, I don't and can't overlook things just because it's a movie musical.  I will say there were lots of things to enjoy in Dreamgirls, but I will also say that a lot of it didn't work for me - others' mileage may vary.  I shall go into minute detail in the notes.  I will say that I had very little interest in Miss Jennifer Hudson, but she really delivers quite well and while it seems she's channeling Miss Holliday a bit in the big song, she makes Effie her own and got an applause from the DGA audience after the song.

FJL

« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2006, 07:54:36 PM »

The documentary painted a very unflattering picture of Richard Dawson.

FJL

« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2006, 07:56:28 PM »

Ah, but Jennifer Holliday always got applause DURING the song.  :)

FJL

« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2006, 07:57:26 PM »

I believe we shall pass the all-time low soon.

FJL

« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2006, 07:59:40 PM »

I have no doubt that they could post here forever
The only trouble iiiiiis they really don't have the time

They've got one post only
One post only

OK, I'm stuck after that  :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2006, 08:00:17 PM »

Sunday evening greetings!  I went to bed in a funk last night and woke up still there, but here's what has made me feel better:

4.  Shopping for some things that I needed for Christmas decorating - ordered 8 new weatherproof red velveteen bows for the porch and found purple candles for the Advent wreath and a wonderful ornament tree for some of my hanging angels

Leave it to the Methodists to break from tradition.  Having grown up in the Methodist Church, our four candles in Advent were always red, with the fifth candle on Christmas being white.  I never knew (until I just looked it up), that most Christian religions use purple and pink candles. I learn something new here every day!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2006, 08:06:44 PM »

After watching the Match Game documentary, I'm feeling sad that Gene Rayburn's last 15 years or so after the show's cancellation were so unhappy.  

Why were the last 15 years so unhappy?

« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 08:08:48 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2006, 08:07:39 PM »

Michael Shayne has written a very thoughtful review of How To Write A Dirty Book and Other Stories on amazon.com.  Please check it out.

FJL

« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2006, 08:09:09 PM »

Rayburn's daughter said he just basically did nothing at all for the next 15 years, after an aborted comeback of the show.

FJL

« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2006, 08:09:59 PM »

Or is that an abortive comeback????

FJL

« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2006, 08:12:06 PM »

The comeback was when they tried desperately to combine Match game with Hollywood squares.  The Squares portion was hosted by Jon "Bowzer" Bauman, and I was bothered that Rayburn's daughter said Bauman's name with an edge to it, as if her father were a genius and Bowzer was a no-talent.

Cillaliz

« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2006, 08:14:05 PM »

Leave it to the Methodists to break from tradition.  Having grown up in the Methodist Church, our four candles in Advent were always red, with the fifth candle on Christmas being white.  I never knew (until I just looked it up), that most Christian religions use purple and pink candles. I learn something new here every day!

I grew up as a Methodist too, I think we used white candles at home, I know the choir wore purple neck thingys during advent, I can't remember what colors the candles were...I think my dad is going to be the voice of God or something like that during the Christmas service, so I imagine I will go this year and will pay attention to the color of the candles.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 08:16:23 PM by Cillaliz »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2006, 08:14:29 PM »

I may not be posting much during the next few days.  The Move, as it is officially being descirbed in the guide book, begins tomorrow.  However, the kitchen and the bathroom in my new place won't be finished until Tuesday, so I can't really move my bedroom downstairs until then.  There are boxes everywhere in this apartment, some of them full and some of them still empty.  I have no idea when they will get the phone service connected in the new apartment, but they will supposedly turn off the switch in this apartment tomorrow afternoon.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #134 on: November 26, 2006, 08:16:59 PM »

I grew up as a Methodist too, I think we used white candles at home, I know the choir at wore purple neck thingys during advent, I can't remember what colors the candles were...I think my dad is going to be the voice of God or something like that during the Christmas service, so I imagine I will go this year and will pay attention to the color of the candles.

I assume, then, that your father is still with us?
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #135 on: November 26, 2006, 08:18:14 PM »

I assume, then, that your father is still with us?

Yes, he is still very much with us.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 08:18:39 PM by Cillaliz »

FJL

« Reply #136 on: November 26, 2006, 08:18:33 PM »

Wishing you a very smooth move, TCB.

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: November 26, 2006, 08:19:01 PM »

Good moving vibes to TCB ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #138 on: November 26, 2006, 08:23:16 PM »

I wish I had Showtime so I could watch Dexter.

Yes, I'm sorry you're missing it because I find it a particularly fascinating show, unlike anything I've ever seen on TV before.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: November 26, 2006, 08:25:29 PM »

Tme for a hot bath and a good night's sleep.  It will be nice to get back to the office so I can quit physically working so hard.

Matt H.

« Reply #140 on: November 26, 2006, 08:26:28 PM »

I had a very ecclectic batch of movies that I watched this evening.

I began by finishing MISSION IMPOSSIBLE. The transfer continued to look superb, and I'm pleased to have such an excellent quality disc of a film I really enjoy.

Ginny

« Reply #141 on: November 26, 2006, 08:29:49 PM »

RE Advent candles - I've seen 4 purple and a white, but sometimes you see 3 purples, a pink, and a white.  I prefer 4 purple candles.

DR Cillaliz - several years ago our then-teenage son was the voice of God in a church program.

Moving vibes to DR TCB!

New job vibes to DR Vixmom!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2006, 08:30:37 PM »

Next, I put in WHITE CHRISTMAS. I probably would have waited a week or two before putting it in, but it's been showing up on cable all weekend, so it got me thinking that I wanted to see it.

Also, having listened to the new cast recording of the stage version during this past week, that also made me long for the film since I think all of the film stars are superior to their counterparts in the stage version cast recording.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2006, 08:32:07 PM »

Next, I checked out BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN in HD. Yes, there was a bit more detail but not strikingly so. My upconversion DVD player comes pretty close to matching what I saw on HBO-HD tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2006, 08:33:54 PM »

I had enough time to watch a CSI: MIAMI from the 4th season boxed set., This was the two part episode that begin on this show and was completed on CSI: NY (which I had already seen in the recent set of its season). I didn't have a clear remembrance of this episode so it was good seeing it again even if it did end with "to be continued."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2006, 08:34:03 PM »

Good moving vibes to TCB ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wishing you a very smooth move, TCB.

You are both welcome to come give me a helping hand.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2006, 08:35:52 PM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES was a lot more desperate this week and much less funny than previous episodes this season. The storylines have all taken darker turns, and of course there were some genuine surprises along the way that DH always manages to spring on the viewer.

Matt H.

« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2006, 08:38:31 PM »

BOSTON LEGAL had a perplexing case involving a possible suicide and another involving two murders and a kidnapping, all being wrapped up this Tuesday in the second part of this two part episode.

BTW, Mark Valley and Craig Bierko slugging it out in the men's lavatory was absurd.

Ginny

« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2006, 08:40:04 PM »

...BTW, Mark Valley and Craig Bierko slugging it out in the men's lavatory was absurd.

Any more absurd than Delta Burke tackling William Shatner - twice?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2006, 08:43:28 PM »

I wonder if FJL will do an amazonian review of a certain book.  Then again, I wonder if other hainsies/kimlets who've had the book for ages will ever bother to read the thing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up