Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HOCKEY PUCK OF LIFE  (Read 37874 times)

FJL

Re:THE HOCKEY PUCK OF LIFE
« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2005, 06:25:39 PM »

DR Jose - That would be great.  I feel left out being the only one without an avatar.  I may want your help with a scanner rather than the camera, though.  I think I'm going to go with the younger version of me as the avatar.  :)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2005, 06:26:09 PM »

They are very nice pictures! :D I have a couple of pictures that are hanging on my parents' wall of pictures of when I was about two or three years old.  My sister and I were in matching little blue sailor outfits (I was in shorts and she was in a little dress) and I'm drooling all over my shirt!  Even though I'm the one who's drooling (and should be embarrased), I think that they're cute pictures! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #272 on: August 31, 2005, 06:26:10 PM »

I remember one of the questions I wanted to ask but it wasn't to BK.

I almost hate to ask this but could those who had cremation for their pets, how much did that cost?  Did you have to set it up in advance?  How does one go about having it done?

I don't want to bring back bad memories but Mom and I have been talking about having it done when the time comes to say goodbye to Bear and Brandi.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 06:28:48 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2005, 06:26:36 PM »

I'd do a PAGE 10 DANCE, but being a senior, that just doesn't seem dignified.  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2005, 06:26:39 PM »

There's a fairly good...no, great...pic of me on that same Alp as the pic of der B.  We'll have to find it.

I refuse to have pics of me from earlier than that posted, because we are tasteful here at HHW.

As for that Alp, der B and I were totally crazy getting out there.  There was a section just off of the main area, where people could climb via rungs hammered into the rock and a single rope to cling to.  Given my fear of heights, I still don't know how we got out there or back.  One mis-step, and one or the other of us could easily have rapidly ended back at the scenic (but touristy) village back at the bottom of the hill, but not necessarily in one piece.  Or two, even.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

FJL

« Reply #275 on: August 31, 2005, 06:28:31 PM »

DR Danise - Sorry, I didn't mean for that PAGE 10 DANCE to happen after your serious question, I'm just a very slow typist.

Danise

« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2005, 06:29:32 PM »

DR Danise - Sorry, I didn't mean for that PAGE 10 DANCE to happen after your serious question, I'm just a very slow typist.

No problem DR FJL.  Am I going to  have the pleasure of meeting you on the trek North?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2005, 06:29:38 PM »

I remember one of the questions I wanted to ask but it wasn't to BK.

I almost hate to ask this but could those who had cremation for their pets, how much did that cost?  Did you have set it up in advance?  How does one go about having it done?

I don't want to bring back bad memories but Mom and I have been talking about having it done when the time comes to say goodbye to Bear and Brandi.

Here in Washington State, it is done by the Humane Society, but arranged through your own vet.  You have to specify that you wish to have the ashes returned to you.

My cats cost about $100.00 a piece for cremation and the return to me in a very nice little urn.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 10:44:49 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2005, 06:30:41 PM »

I'd do a PAGE 10 DANCE, but being a senior, that just doesn't seem dignified.  :)
What, you aren't going to the Senior Prom?

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #279 on: August 31, 2005, 06:34:23 PM »

Here in Washington State, it is done by the Humane Society, but arranged through your own vet.  You have to specify that you wish to have the ashes returned to you.

My cats cost about $100.00 a piece for cremation and the reuturn to me in a very nice little urn.

Thanks, DR TCB.  But here is my next question.  Will they come and pick the body up?  Bear is way beyond my being able to lift him.

Sorry to be so full of gloom.  I just saw the posts about it and have wondered.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #280 on: August 31, 2005, 06:38:09 PM »

Dr Danise - I'm hoping I can get away from the family Rosh Hashanah festivities to join the group on that Wednesday evening.  I'm sorry I'm going to miss the walking tour, though.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #281 on: August 31, 2005, 06:41:03 PM »

MBarnum you are so sweet.

TCB is that you?  When was the photo taken?

Jose we don’t need your baby picture to see the resemblance to your nephew.  I want to see it, just don’t need to.

Danise no need to worry, we knew what you meant by “the grace of God”.

Jane

« Reply #282 on: August 31, 2005, 06:43:23 PM »

FJL I hope you can slip away for a bit, maybe have come visit for awhile.  What do your traditional festivities consist of?

Danise

« Reply #283 on: August 31, 2005, 06:52:43 PM »

Dr Danise - I'm hoping I can get away from the family Rosh Hashanah festivities to join the group on that Wednesday evening.  I'm sorry I'm going to miss the walking tour, though.

I wouldn't want to take you away from your family but I hope we do get to say "Hello" in person.  I'll be there all week.   :D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #284 on: August 31, 2005, 06:53:24 PM »

MBarnum you are so sweet.

TCB is that you?  When was the photo taken?

Jose we don’t need your baby picture to see the resemblance to your nephew.  I want to see it, just don’t need to.

Danise no need to worry, we knew what you meant by “the grace of God”.

Thanks, Jane.  

Bed time.   Have a good evening all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #285 on: August 31, 2005, 06:58:35 PM »

On the first day, it's the tradition of throwing the sins away into the water, which takes us to very late afternoon.  But Oct. 5th is the second day, so we'll just be having the usual festive meal, which usually happens around 2-ish, after which my parents like to promenade with us on the Coney Island boardwalk so that they can show their friends that their kids came to visit them on the holiday.  But I'm sure I'll be back in the city by seven or so.  Will the get-together still be going on then, or will people have left to go see shows at that point?

Jane

« Reply #286 on: August 31, 2005, 07:02:05 PM »

Thanks, DR TCB.  But here is my next question.  Will they come and pick the body up?  Bear is way beyond my being able to lift him.

Sorry to be so full of gloom.  I just saw the posts about it and have wondered.

I suggest you ask your vet these questions as the prices and procedures differ from vet to vet, area to area.  I think ours were $40 or $50.  I can’t be sure.  Our wonderful vet is just building a practice so with the last two pets we just sent her a very nice donation and said to take out the final costs and put the rest in her Angel fund.  This fund is to help those pets whose owners can’t afford the cost of treatment.

I have never had a pet just go.  We have always made the decision to stop the suffering.  That used to mean a stressful trip to the veterinarians office.  Now it means a request to have the vet come here.  Our vet didn’t charge an extra fee for this.  I don’t know if that is her usual procedure for patients or just for special ones.  She came with the vet technician (in this case our house sitter).  I had a box ready for Bogie.  Echo was carried away on a blanket with many of her favorite toys, which were also cremated with her.

Since we lost Echo in the winter and couldn’t take her to the trail on Mt Ashland until spring I preferred to leave her at the vet’s office.  I found it too painful to have her here.  Her ashes were in a plastic bag tied shut.  The bag was inside of a tin.  

Jane

« Reply #287 on: August 31, 2005, 07:11:13 PM »

On the first day, it's the tradition of throwing the sins away into the water, which takes us to very late afternoon.  But Oct. 5th is the second day, so we'll just be having the usual festive meal, which usually happens around 2-ish, after which my parents like to promenade with us on the Coney Island boardwalk so that they can show their friends that their kids came to visit them on the holiday.  But I'm sure I'll be back in the city by seven or so.  Will the get-together still be going on then, or will people have left to go see shows at that point?

It sounds like a fun family time.  My family never threw our sins away.  We might have been better off if we had.  ;D What are some of your traditional foods?

Do you have any cell phone numbers to call & check on us?  I can send you mine if you like.  

Jane

« Reply #288 on: August 31, 2005, 07:17:40 PM »

Ben you looked great with a beard.  Quick grow one before I get to NY. :)

Jane

« Reply #289 on: August 31, 2005, 07:33:23 PM »

Do we know where we are having dinner on the 5th?  Do we have a room to ourselves?  I’m thinking there will be at least 12 of us for dinner.

Jose, will we have a break between the walking tour & dinner to freshen up?

FJL

« Reply #290 on: August 31, 2005, 07:40:30 PM »

When Tashlich, the throwing-away-of-sins, is in Brooklyn, they actually send some members of the congregation to the water at the beach to symbolically throw some bread in the water, while the rest of us say a little prayer on the boardwalk.  But I think they're required to take the bread out of the water for health reasons, although I've never actually gone all the way out to the ocean to watch them.   When we do Tashlich in Jersey with my brother and sister-in-law's congregation, we modify the rules and take stones out of the brook, pray, and throw the stones back in.  

Then, of course, we proceed throughout the year to do the same "sins" we just threw away.   So kosher or not, I'll stay in touch and find out where you guys are going for dinner on the 5th.  Jose, will you probably know where dinner's going to be a day in advance or are you just playing it by ear that day?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 07:43:54 PM by FJL »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #291 on: August 31, 2005, 07:57:14 PM »

Sooooo tired.  Trying to watch a DVD but keep dozing off.  I'm trying to doze on, but when you're tired, you tend to doze off.

MBarnum

« Reply #292 on: August 31, 2005, 08:09:38 PM »

Just finished interviewing the delightful Marcia Mae Jones who most folks will recall as the sweet but tormented (by an evil Bonita Granville) Rosalie Wells in the 1936 film THESE THREE...of course she was also in the Shirley Temple films HEIDI and THE LITTLE PRINCESS.

MBarnum

« Reply #293 on: August 31, 2005, 08:11:13 PM »

...and I have an interview scheduled for later this week, and possible one this weekend! Now if I would just get off of my lazy b*tt and start getting some of thse transcribed from tape and typed up...I am sooooo far behind!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #294 on: August 31, 2005, 08:20:39 PM »

Sooooo tired.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #295 on: August 31, 2005, 08:21:28 PM »

But we must not flag in the waning hours of the end of August, because if we don't flag, I shall have some amazing stats for you at midnight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #296 on: August 31, 2005, 08:21:51 PM »

So, keep waxing and not waning.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #297 on: August 31, 2005, 08:22:35 PM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

I finally spoke to Grant, and now we're going to try to do the demo late tomorrow afternoon.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #298 on: August 31, 2005, 08:24:26 PM »

Ben you looked great with a beard.  Quick grow one before I get to NY. :)
But what would Ant say about the new girlfriend?

:o

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #299 on: August 31, 2005, 08:25:43 PM »

Here's an answer to a BK question: With ITunes, as someone said, you DO get a cover image that appears on the  ITunes menu when you play the song. You can even make it quite large on the screen.

But you get no inside cover info, liner notes, back cover, anything like that.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 08:27:20 PM by Rodzinski »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up