Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: BALLS  (Read 25549 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: BALLS
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2009, 01:05:59 PM »

2009 has been the crappiest of years, thus far...in many instances, that is.

Thank goodness for some blasts of fresh air!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »

Page 7 "Crappy New Year" Dance!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:08:03 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2009, 01:06:36 PM »

PAGE SEVEN!!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2009, 01:07:15 PM »

Has anyone seen the "Lost" promo in which action figures of Kate and Jack are used and someone does the voices and Kate is all high-pitched and whiny about not wanting to go back to the island?

It's really cute!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2009, 01:07:23 PM »

I hope DR tomovoz and Colin are doing fine, even our local news is covering the fires:
http://tinyurl.com/cwrtmq

After reading this I had to see what a wombat burrow looks like.

This:

or:

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »

PAGE SEVEN!!

Harrumph!  Already staked and claimed, DR TCB the Usurper!     ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:10:05 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Tomovoz

« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2009, 01:11:26 PM »

Vienna thanks the Birkeland Family for their support. Matilda shall waltz in your name.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2009, 01:14:42 PM »

Today's early morning birdlife

Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos
King Parrots
Rainbow Lorikeets
Crimson Rosellas
Bronze-wing Pigeons

We are expecting more visiting bird life from the burnt out Bunyip State Forest.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2009, 01:18:56 PM »

Just finished listening to the actual, honest-to-God official LIZA'S AT THE PALACE cd.  She's killin' them here and I mean that in a good way.  But what keeps it all from being a truly dynamic recording is the fact that it's in studio and not a live performance with an audience.  There's a lot of incredible excitement but it feels capped.  I can only surmise that the audiences at the Palace were a little too enthusiastic to allow a viable recording.

This cd has also whet my appetite for some Kay Thompson recordings.  Any recommendations?

I have a CD Kay Thompson The Golden Years 1934-1954. It's a compilation CD with archival recordings. It's fun to listen to from a historical perspective. The CD is very hard to find apparently. It's available at

Alibris

a used media site for a mere $200. Yikes! I got mine a few years ago at Academy for $9.99 (IIRC).

I enjoyed Liza at the Palace but I do think the Diva Worshipers were there in force for most performances and they do make it difficult to hear some things with their whistling and shrieking (Liza, We Love You; Hydrate Liza, etc., etc., etc.) I think the energy of the live performance would have been captured but it would have required a lot of extra work to try and make her heard above the noise of her (over)exuberant fans.

DR Ben, your Kay Thompson album is listed as a CD on Amazon, though it's shown to be "Temporarily out of stock" (they also list the used $200 album.)    I'll add the CD to my shopping cart and see what comes of it.

Yes, the Li-Zombies are very much present on the ootlegbay, as well.  During her introduction, you can hear someone shrieking and I do mean shrieking!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2009, 01:22:55 PM »

Yep, add ANGELS IN AMERICA for Pacino for me.

For De Niro, I can't believe I forgot NEW YORK, NEW YORK. Another understated performance of his I really like is in MARVIN'S ROOM.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2009, 01:24:40 PM »

Could not be a more gorgeous day. I wore a long sleeved shirt but no jacket at all, and was absolutely comfortable. Had a nice long walk around my yard and sit on the porch waiting for my ride to lunch.

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2009, 01:25:54 PM »

I spent all afternoon with HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3. (It's almost two hours - about 25 minutes too long though to be fair, this is the "extended edition" so I'm not quite sure what was added back in from the theatrical release.

Tomovoz

« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »

This area here was devastated in the bush fires of 1983 that are mentioned in some of the press articles.  Our home survived but very little else of our garden etc.  Our neighbours were not so fortunate.

Lack of water and power (for providing water from water towers etc) make fire fighting almost impossible.  We are in a time of severe drought.  Much of the State lost power supplies as major lines to Power stations were in the bushfire area. 

The Record high temperatures and the extreme winds present on Saturday were major ingredients for the tragedy that has unfolded.  I doubt any preparation could have helped. Decision making was made on past fire events such as 1983.  These fires were just so much more ferocious.  It is hard to understand that fires behave differently from each other.  In the past it would take more time for a house to burn - usually after the fire front had passed by. Thus staying was always an option. Being in a vehicle and outrunning the fire has never been seen as a safe option and so many have lost their lives this time as they saw flight as their only option in the extreme heat. 

So little water here and the State is awash with tears. 
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »

I did like it though Kenny Ortega's TV directorial style is a little banal for a movie musical. He steals a bit from "You're All the World to Me" from ROYAL WEDDING for Zac's number "Scream." There's a gorgeous waltz number on a rooftop garden, the best staging and direction in the film, for the song "Can I Have This Dance?"

The movie has a couple/three reprises which the TV-movies never had. And clearly, with Zac Efron having become a movie star, he's by far the spotlight artist in this third go-round. He gets lots of solo time that the other featured artists in the other films don't get in this one.

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »

But because the movie was so long, I didn't get to ANY of the bonus material. I'll have to do it tonight. Lucky for me there's no CHUCK at 8 so that gives me another hour to work on the disc.

Oh, and the Blu-ray is spectacular looking. Very deep, rich color and very dimensional looking. And the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 track really had my house vibrating.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2009, 01:33:11 PM »

PAGE SEVEN!!

Harrumph!  Already staked and claimed, DR TCB the Usurper!     ;)

You were just lucky, my friend! :)
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2009, 01:35:30 PM »

DR DtM  - Check  Gemm.com  for Kay Thompsom.   About $25 from Germany maybe a possibility!
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »

Ann, try one of these for Toby:

It's hard to outgrow our premium play mat, filled with the magic of the rainforest! It's a strength-building tummy time mat, stimulating activity mat, and an outdoor blanket with water-resistant bottom. For tummy timers, we included a prop pillow and intriguing water mat. Later, baby can explore all the sights, sounds, textures, and activities. Pet the lion's ribbon mane; find the peek-a-boo toucan! 36" x 36". Soft, premium fabrics. Carry bag included. Machine wash. For newborns and up; attachable water mat for babies 6 months and up. Exclusively Ours!

From ONE-STEP-AHEAD

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2009, 01:39:16 PM »

Ann, try one of these for Toby:

It's hard to outgrow our premium play mat, filled with the magic of the rainforest! It's a strength-building tummy time mat, stimulating activity mat, and an outdoor blanket with water-resistant bottom. For tummy timers, we included a prop pillow and intriguing water mat. Later, baby can explore all the sights, sounds, textures, and activities. Pet the lion's ribbon mane; find the peek-a-boo toucan! 36" x 36". Soft, premium fabrics. Carry bag included. Machine wash. For newborns and up; attachable water mat for babies 6 months and up. Exclusively Ours!

From ONE-STEP-AHEAD

der Brucer

Did you get Woody one?
“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »

We are expecting more visiting bird life from the burnt out Bunyip State Forest.

Will they share feeders?

What do you put out for water?

der Brucer

Tomovoz

« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2009, 01:45:37 PM »

No problem.  Sharing according to pecking order is the usual!  There are bird baths etc in various parts of the garden.   There is about an acre of garden. Most of the birds are not territorial.  Some species are - but only defend against their own kind. ( The white backed magpie)
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #201 on: February 09, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »

Did you get Woody one?

Nope - saving up for his Betty Crocker play kitchen.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: February 09, 2009, 01:51:36 PM »

Jumping off-line now to do some writing.

WBBL.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #203 on: February 09, 2009, 01:54:03 PM »

No problem.  Sharing according to pecking order is the usual!  There are bird baths etc in various parts of the garden.   There is about an acre of garden. Most of the birds are not territorial.  Some species are - but only defend against their own kind. ( The white backed magpie)

Are the visitors quite vocal?

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #204 on: February 09, 2009, 01:59:29 PM »

Not the TOD, but, I like YENTL, too.

Me, three! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #205 on: February 09, 2009, 02:00:28 PM »

“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #206 on: February 09, 2009, 02:12:12 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #207 on: February 09, 2009, 02:15:06 PM »

DAW

« Reply #208 on: February 09, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »

DR Edi, glad that folks you know won a Grammy!  I had a friend up for "Best Historical Jazz Album" [producer], but he didn't win.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #209 on: February 09, 2009, 02:17:04 PM »

I guess I should have said the stimulus not the bail out. 
I know Cilla, I have panic attacks when I think of the "bail out"

The Whatever bill is far from a done deal. Once the Senate passes it, likely tomorrow, it still has to go to Conference - and then the fun begins. Although the House and Senate bills are within pennies (well, $7,000,000,000.00) of each other, the split between spending and tax cuts is dramatic; the Senate version has ~$100B more in tax cuts and ~$80 less in spending. One compromise would raise the total spending figure (the House agreeing to accept the tax cuts if their spending is restored) - which version would probably lose the three Rep Sens needed to pass the final version. Indeed, the only bill likely to get final Senate approval is just about what they have now, which would require a total capitulation by the House - which their members might agree on, but Speaker Pelosi unlikely to allow to come to a vote.

The House and the Senate could, in fact, deadlock and there will be NO bill. And that will not displease some people.

der Brucer

IMHO - It's ironic that the Senate bill removes all spending in support of education construction and expansion of Broadband access - the very few areas that it is fair to burden future generations with the bill. Also, expanding Pell grants and increasing tax credits for college tuition is of no value in states like CA which are already cutting enrollment opportunities for folks who can already pay

« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:39:55 PM by DERBRUCER »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up