Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BEST OF INTENTIONS  (Read 17455 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: THE BEST OF INTENTIONS
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2012, 08:06:21 AM »

Bummer. Lap dances are not art. At least in the opinion of the court.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/23/lap-dance-not-an-art-form-new-york-nite-moves_n_2005262.html
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2012, 08:06:27 AM »

I might be the only one here that has not been bitten by the Brent Barrett bug :(

I am the same way DR Matthew...but I would never admit such a thing here on HHW.

Woops!

DR MBarnum, we must form an alliance! 

John G.

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2012, 08:06:36 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matthew

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2012, 08:06:47 AM »

Page 2 pancake dance!

Matthew

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »

TOD - my first two wheel bike was orange.  It lasted quite a while.  Then I had one of THESE  which was so cool!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 08:08:55 AM »

TOD:

I had a tricycle when I was little, but I don't know much more about that.

When I was 7, my grandfather gave me a bicycle for Christmas.  It was as high as I was tall (as I recall).  I was excited but confused.  When I was lifted onto the seat, my feet wouldn't reach the pedals.   At some point during the day, the bicycle disappeared with my grandfather.  Later, he reappeared with a smaller bicycle, much-used with faded paint.  I was disappointed I was getting someone's seconds (or thirds), but it was pointed out to me (by my mother, in private, in my bedroom) that this bicycle was better for me because I could actually learn to ride it.  I did learn to ride it, and after a while, I loved it dearly.

For my 8th birthday, Santa brought me a big boy's bicycle...all shiny (red) and with multi-colored streamers on the ends of each hand grip.  I had grown quite a bit since the year before and I was able to mount the bicycle from my front porch steps.  My feet reached the pedals and generally stayed on them as I rode down the street with only the occasional wobble.

That was my last bicycle at home and it lasted quite a few years.  I don't know when or why I stopped riding.

My next bicycle came a number of years later when I was in the Navy and assigned to Vicenza, Italy (1973-75).   When I finally found an apartment, transportation was my main concern.  I could walk to work (it would take about 25 minutes), but Vicenza was a northern climate and when it was cold it was COLD.  I bought a bicycle that served me extremely well during my time there.  In addition, I bought a 1963 Fiat 1300 from my Italian teacher's father.  It ran "most of the time" and was great during really inclement weather, but the bicycle was my go-to transportation because of its maneuverability and the easiness of parking it anywhere.  Additionally, Vicenza would often have days of extremely dense fog and bicycling around made me feel safer than driving.

After I left Vicenza, I never bought another bicycle.  I'm figuring that when I retire, I'll probably bicycle around Johnston SC quite a bit, so I have that to look forward to.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 08:11:10 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »

In high school, after my parents divorced and we moved back to Medford, I somehow ended up with a different bike. My mom and stepdad were not the kind of parents that would drive their kid around, so I rode my bike all over,  usually just so that I would not have to be home with my evil step-father.

I would ride from our house in SE Medford to my buddy Dave's house in Central Point...that is quite a trek! A bike trail was built in Medford that started at a park near my home and ended at the other end of town. It bordered the creek that runs through Medford and is rather hidden from view, so it is no longer a safe place to ride...probably it wasn't back then either, for all I know.

When I moved in with my dad and step-mom in White City, I continued riding my bike to Central Point...still a long trip, although more often than not Dave's parents would drive out and pick me up and take me back home.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 08:12:34 AM »

I might be the only one here that has not been bitten by the Brent Barrett bug :(

I am the same way DR Matthew...but I would never admit such a thing here on HHW.

Woops!

Sacrilege. 

How do you feel about Jason Graae?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2012, 08:12:39 AM »

Once I got my driver's license, however, I never rode on a bicycle again. The end.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »

I'm up, barely, and awaiting the arrival of the helper, who I see has just arrived.

Matthew

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2012, 08:14:57 AM »

Woops!

Sacrilege. 

I do love me some Jason Graae.  And that's all I'm going to say here, on HHW :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 08:15:15 AM »

I also owned a bike between 1973 and 1979 that got me around Middletown for fun and, on occasion, when my car died.

LOL!  My bicycle in Vicenza, Italy, was also useful when my Fiat 1300 would die (and it "would" die from time to time).  I have a vivid memory of driving down the street outside Caserma Italy (the compound where I worked) in the rain, holding an umbrella and braking suddenly, only to find myself hydroplaning around several stopped cars.  Rattled my cage, it did, but I was safe nonetheless.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 08:16:26 AM »

Woops!

Sacrilege. 

Well, he is no Tom Wopat.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »

But then....who IS?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 08:36:05 AM »

+1

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2012, 08:48:43 AM »

I didn't much like what the revisal of KISS ME, KATE did to the score so I've never seen the London production with Brent, nor have any inclination to do so.

DR John G, I didn't understand your Howard Keel comment: the newly released broadcast of KISS ME, KATE is the kinescope of the Hallmark Hall of Fame production. I don't like the film because of one casting disaster: Kathryn "I have no vocal skills" Grayson.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »

Well, Elmore, I think it goes without saying that even the wallpaper would do a better job than Kathryn Grayson. And Patricia Morison was wonderful, great voice and fine comic flair. But Drake  was so much better than Keel, the guy who got too many of his roles when it came time to make the movie, that I don't know if I realized just how well written the part of Fred really is.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »

I was not allowed to ride my bike too far, which is something of a shame. I think I would know my hometown more than I do if I had been allowed to roam free. It's kinda funny, too, because my mom is full of stories about how she rode her bike across southern Germany when she was a teen. Still, she's talking country roads, not busy city streets.
― Voltaire

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2012, 08:58:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: ACEPHALOUS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  LOSING MY MIND

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2012, 09:49:35 AM »

TOD:

My first bicycle was a hand-me-down from my cousin.  It was blue and sturdy and had pedal breaks and a built-in light.

I had just taught myself to ride a two wheeler with my sister's bike by repeatedly riding it down a hill until I was able to balance, steer and pedal at the same time without running into the fence at the bottom of the hill.

I loved having my own bike and roaming around with friends.  But I did have restrictions on how far I was allowed to go (never into downtown Camden and never towards the river!)

When we moved to Pennsauken, my parents let me choose a brand new bike at a Toys'R'Us.  I got an orange Schwinn.  I guess my parents believed that the suburbs were much safer than Camden because they let me head off wherever I wanted.

That bike was passed on to the Goodwill during my college years.  I keep in practice by renting a bike to ride on the boardwalk when I stay at the shore during the summer.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »

I'm finding great happiness in THIS  this morning

I'm glad to see the Helen Reddy at some point developed a performing personality.  WHen I once saw her during her heyday in the early 70s--oof!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2012, 10:07:40 AM »

TOD:

I do not recall my first bike, although I am sure it had 3 wheels.

Then it was a tricycle; not a bike.

Well, I was never very good at math.

John G.

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »

DR Matthew, Reuben casserole may be even better as a leftover.
― Voltaire

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2012, 10:49:43 AM »

I am thinking about getting a Kindle.  But....is it a wireless device?  Do you download books to your computer and then put them on your kindle?  Or do you have to have a wireless router to buy books directly onto your Kindle?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2012, 11:04:18 AM »

Got another two hours of sleep, so that was nice. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »

Time to head home. This is my last trip to Toyland until I get back from DC. I have to wait at home tomorrow for a UPS delivery.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »

Woops!

Sacrilege. 

Well, he is no Tom Wopat.

Nor a John Schneider.

I'm sure he's a great guy, but Barrett's voice is my favorite.

Ginny

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2012, 11:37:02 AM »

I am thinking about getting a Kindle.  But....is it a wireless device?  Do you download books to your computer and then put them on your kindle?  Or do you have to have a wireless router to buy books directly onto your Kindle?

DR JRand, the Kindle is equipped with built-in wireless, which allows you to download books directly to the device.  Conventional wisdom, though, recommends that you keep the wireless turned OFF when you're not downloading to preserve your battery.  Also, if you've borrowed an ebook from your library it doesn't disappear from your Kindle, even after the due date, until you turn the wireless on.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »

Thanks DR GINNY....I was sort of looking at them on Amazon, but couldn't quite figure it out.  Not convinced yet.....but I am thinking about it.....

Do the pictures in books show up well on the Kindle?

John G.

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »

One more.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up