Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DANNY THOMAS SPIT TAKE  (Read 46777 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE DANNY THOMAS SPIT TAKE
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2005, 11:12:43 AM »

Actually, DRJRand54, I'm lousy at such games.  The only film I could think of, since there was a legit sequel to the novel, would be AROUND THE WORLD WITH AUNTIE MAME, with Rosalind Russell, Roger Smith, Coral Browne, Pippa Scott, and whatever characters reappeared in Patrick Dennis' sequel.  Forrest Tucker could come have come back and played his loutish cousin in Venice.
With a special guest appearance by David Niven, of course.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2005, 11:13:20 AM »

End Credits from Around the World in 80 Days Dance!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2005, 11:13:38 AM »

A Panera recently opened just up the street. They serve a huge hot chocolate. Not the greatest hot chocolate - but lovely to look at.

Their bagels are sour dough bagels.   Asiago Cheese is good.  Yes I know it isn't a "real" bagel

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2005, 11:14:04 AM »

Best wishes and vibes to DR Ann!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2005, 11:14:08 AM »

It's so peaceful in New York today.  Last night, after dropping Charlotte home and visiting for a bit, I walked down Broadway in the falling snow.  There was little traffic, you could walk in the streets with no fear of being hit, and the city lights, the falling snow and the quiet were total enchantment.  There was an occasional faraway scrape of a snow shovel and that was all.  This morning was more of the same.  There are few cars out, and I saw an occasional bus and taxi.  I am amazed by how quiet my block is, no sounds from the mass in Holy Trinity across the street, no yelling children, and strangely no noise in the halls.  Perhaps everyone's hibernating till Spring?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 11:14:47 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2005, 11:15:00 AM »

...And CBS had just released the news last week that Johnny Carson has been writing and sending in jokes to David Letterman, and David Letterman has been incorporating them into his monologue over the past few years.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2005, 11:15:39 AM »

Unless the stars were on NBC - sometimes the first time we EVER saw them IN COLOR was on the Tonight Show.  Everyone dressed up and it was like a party.   :'(

I always loved it when Lucy was on with him.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2005, 11:16:48 AM »

It's so peaceful in New York today.  Last night, after dropping Charlotte home and visiting for a bit, I walked down Broadway in the falling snow.  There was little traffic, you could walk in the streets with no fear of being hit, and the city lights, the falling snow and the quiet were total enchantment.  There was an occasional faraway scrape of a snow shovel and that was all.  This morning was more of the same.  There are few cars out, and I saw an occasional bus and taxi.  I am amazed by how quiet my block is, no sounds from the mass in Holy Trinity across the street, no yelling children, and strangely no noise in the halls.  Perhaps everyone's hibernating till Spring?

Sounds delightful, and delovely

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2005, 11:17:21 AM »

DR Cillaliz.... Great minds...
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2005, 11:19:10 AM »

DR Cillaliz.... Great minds...

DR Jose, my thoughts exactly!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2005, 11:19:51 AM »

I love NYC in the snow too.  When Steve and I were up there a year ago - actually a year ago last week - it snowed the first night we were up there.  It had started snowing when we left Joe Allen, and by the time we came out of URINETOWN, there was a nice blanket of snow on the ground.  And the way all the neon lights reflected off the snowflakes... magical!

-Of course, we could have done without the near record low temps they had the rest of the week... But that night and next morning were so nice.  Welcome to the Big Apple!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2005, 11:20:07 AM »

Just made some cornbread!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2005, 11:21:33 AM »

DR ELMORE in the movie STAGESTRUCK with Miss Susan Strasberg and Mr Christopher Plummer there are some lovely on-location scenes filmed in the New York snow.....what a lovely picture you paint.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2005, 11:21:39 AM »

just tasted it. Delish.

Panni

« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2005, 11:23:13 AM »

Lovely description of NY in the snow, DR Elmore.

Cillaliz

« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2005, 11:31:28 AM »

Johhn Carson sent most of his memorabelia (including his Emmys and other awards) to the Elkhorn Valley Museum in his hometown of Norfolk, NE (pronounced Norfork - I've never figured that out, but we are talking Nebraska here)  It's not far from here, I may have to pay a visit.  

Here's the website http://www.elkhornvalleymuseum.org/johnny-carson.htm

Jennifer

« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2005, 11:36:35 AM »

Re: the new show Numb3rs (is that how it's spelled?), in my tv guide it is marked for this friday.  So i'm not sure if that is a repeat of tonight's show, or if it's the first friday that new shows will be seen.

I will probably tape it.  But for those watching I would suspect it won't start till around 11pm, although I suppose it could start a bit earlier.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2005, 11:39:01 AM »

Johnny Carson's death is a shocking blow.  I go back watching and enjoying him when he was doing WHO DO YOU TRUST?  American Icon.

Michael Shayne: Ellison is a god to Joe Strazynksi (I know that's not spelt right), creator of Babylon Five, and Joe is one of his closest friends.  Harlan's title stems from the fact that he creatively consulted on Joe's show.

MattH:  The Burgess Meredith episode actually came up at dinner last night.  Several of us wondered why this guy who now had the run of the city just didn't go find a magnifying glass somewhere and/ or an optical shop and find the proper lenses or one that will do.  Also he could grope around and find some broken pieces of his glasses to peer through until he could find the aforementioned devices.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 11:40:04 AM by Charles Pogue »

Cillaliz

« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2005, 11:45:03 AM »

Didn't realize he gave them all his awards.

Artifacts on
display throughout the exhibit will include 17
TV Guide covers and 12 other magazine covers,
The Eleanor Roosevelt Award given to
Mr. Carson by Mrs. Roosevelt, 6 Emmy
Awards, the 1993 Kennedy Center Honors
Award, the Television Hall of Fame Award,
the Peabody Award, numerous other photos,
cartoons and many other awards and items.

Panni

« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2005, 12:01:53 PM »

I just ate copious amounts (make that disgusting amounts) of the cornbread I baked. Blame it on bk - he's the one who originally made this stuff, gave me some and hooked me. Like giving free weed to a kid in the schoolyard, if you ask me.  
The rest of the delish decadent delight will be given to DD and DBF for their drive to San Francisco.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2005, 12:02:56 PM »

Elmore, beautiful descriptions-I can picture your street and wish I was there with you.

Jose, simple but very touching tribute of Johnny Carson.

Jennifer I show NUMBER3RS should begin at 7:00, east and west coast.  My local station (which we don’t get) has it listed at 8:00.  Why do you say 11:00?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2005, 12:04:23 PM »

AOL continues to be sporadic in terms of haineshisway.com.  One minute you can get on, the next minute not.  Dumb.

It is 12:06 and I am pondering food.

Panni

« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2005, 12:04:34 PM »

Just purchased my ticket to NY. Next I should get a ticket to the show. Haven't booked a hotel yet.

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2005, 12:07:43 PM »

AOL continues to be sporadic in terms of haineshisway.com.  One minute you can get on, the next minute not.  Dumb.

It is 12:06 and I am pondering food.

I don't use AOL all that often, but checked this morning and had the same problem getting on HHW from here in Iowa.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2005, 12:08:35 PM »

DR TCB: Your Baby is so beautiful with snow white hair.

Thank you Hisaka, I have passed on your compliments to Angel.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2005, 12:11:02 PM »

Just purchased my ticket to NY. Next I should get a ticket to the show. Haven't booked a hotel yet.

Wish I could go to NY that weekend to meet all you wonderful people and see the show, but on March 19th I will be at Say Goodnight Gracie in St Paul in house seats from Rupe. (I saw it on Broadway, but will enjoy seeing it again with some friends)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2005, 12:16:09 PM »

OK.. I'm gonna run some errands before heading into the show...  I'm also just gonna stay put tonight since it's supposed to get down to the teens, and I don't feel like driving back to Richmond in that cold.  And that will also give me a chance to sort through some boxes in the basement that my father has been bugging me about.  For the past couple of years.  ;)

Laters.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2005, 12:21:04 PM »

Jose I think it is a good idea you are staying put tonight.  

Panni

« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2005, 12:21:26 PM »

Got on through AOL just now. Go figure.
Just booked my seat for Jewish Thighs. All I need now is the hotel. (An almost Gypsy reference). Last time I was in NY - for the Emmies? - I stayed at the W - on Showtime's dime. It was too too too trendy.
The Paramount has some good deals. I've stayed there on some network's dime, as well. The rooms are INCREDIBLY tiny, but sort of fun and INTERESTING. What's also interesting, if I may use the dreaded word,  are the winos and semi-street people who still live there (or did when I was there) because they couldn't be legally evicted. They walk around the lobby populated by models and actors and the innest of the in. As I said, interesting.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2005, 12:29:05 PM »

If they let the singers be all ages instead of just youngsters I would more then likely have given it a look-see...you know me, I am always rooting for the over 70 crowd! LOL!

The things you'll do for a date!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up