Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNEVENTFUL EVENT  (Read 20986 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE UNEVENTFUL EVENT
« Reply #90 on: January 29, 2004, 01:55:20 PM »

Ah, but one of the brothers kept his beard (and a fine red one it was, at that!).  Woof, Woof!

One bearded brother does not a favorite make, at least in my house. (And I love Matt Mattox.)

Now, if Jeff Richards and/or Tommy Rall had kept some facial hair.... At least Tommy wears a mustache as Lucentio in KISS ME KATE, and he looks damn fine, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2004, 02:15:25 PM »

At the risk of being burned at the stake (or steak) for heresy, I have never really enjoyed Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  I like the one big Michael Kidd dance number at the barn-raising, or whatever it is, but other than that, forget it.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2004, 02:18:13 PM »

Oh, I think the score is just wonderful from Keel's "Bless Your Beautiful Hide" to that haunting "Lonesome Polecat" and the rousing "Sobbin' Women." Love the songs, and the male eye candy is really quite nice.

But, that's OK. I'm not a great fan of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2004, 02:23:31 PM »

Must agree with TCB re 7 Brides. But then I would not sit through "Kiss Me Kate" (the movie) either. Give me "Carousel" any day.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2004, 02:33:06 PM »

Must agree with TCB re 7 Brides. But then I would not sit through "Kiss Me Kate" (the movie) either. Give me "Carousel" any day.

I don't like the movie version of KMK either, but Brent Barrett's version is darn near perfect.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2004, 02:35:18 PM »

At the risk of being burned at the stake (or steak) for heresy, I have never really enjoyed Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  I like the one big Michael Kidd dance number at the barn-raising, or whatever it is, but other than that, forget it.

Like father, like son. :D  Love the barn dance... Other than that, I can do just fine without 7B7B.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 02:35:38 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2004, 02:39:56 PM »

We Washingtonians stick together nephew Jed. Agree about the BB KMK too TCB. (Still can't understand why the no applause in "Too Darn Hot". A strange decision).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2004, 02:41:57 PM »

Let's try one more...

Kung Pao Whatever serving four either way.

(I'm getting this by comparing two recipes, one for Kung Pao Chicken and one for Kung Pao Shrimp.  It's the same method, which means you could easily substitute pork if you wanted to.  Or Kielbasa, even!  But I wouldn't call that one authentic.   :-\)

Cut 1 lb chicken breast (boneless/skinless) into 1 inch cubes, or shell and devein 1 lb medium shrimp.  Toss in a bowl with 1 egg, 3 T cornstarch, and 1/2 t salt; let stand for 30 minutes or so.

In a bowl, blend 1 T cornstarch, 1 T dry sherry, 3 T rice vinegar, 2 t sugar, and 3 T water; set aside.

Dice 1 green bell pepper, and mince 3 scallions, 3 slices fresh ginger, and 3 cloves garlic.  Add 2 small dried hot red peppers, crumbled.  Set aside.

Heat 2 c vegetable oil (It's back!) to 375 degrees.  In batches, add chicken or shrimp, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until chicken is golden or shrimp is pink.  Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.

Pour off all but 2 T oil, return to high heat.  Add veggies and stir-fry for about 30 seconds.  Stir cornstarch mixture and add to veggies, bring to a boil and cook until thickened, one or two minutes.  Add shrimp or chicken back to the wok, heat through; add 1/4 c dry roasted peanuts and drizzle with 1 T Asian sesame oil, stir to blend and serve.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2004, 02:52:23 PM »

Me want Chinese food - but I'm trying to stay away from rice right now, so I'll have to wait.  Instead, I had a yucky cheese and bacon omelet at Jerry's (why do I keep going there when I can't stomach the food).  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2004, 02:53:07 PM »

So of course, what are we having tonight?  Beef brisket.  How un-Chinese is that?  Me, I could use some good Chinese, or some Mexican, but no, der Brucer wants a beef brisket.  And of course, I'm the one that gets to do the cooking.  Bleh and phooey.  Not to worry, I'll get even.  I'll slip some soy sauce in the braising liquid!  Bwah-ha-ha-ha!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: January 29, 2004, 02:55:58 PM »

Y'know, BK, you can always have the rice served on the side, so that you can have as little of it as you want.  Or you can take it home for "a little something" later.

I just wouldn't suggest throwing it at a bride after it's been cooked.  They don't appreciate it, for some reason.

Robin

« Reply #101 on: January 29, 2004, 03:10:31 PM »

I decided I did not have enough un-watched DVDs at home so I just ordered a slew of new releases from Alpha's website (www.oldies.com) including THE INNER SANCTUM and two early Gale Storm movies: FRECKLES GOES HOME and CITY OF MISSING GIRLS. LOL! Why do I do this to myself?

Probably for the same reason I picked up Blacula and Scream, Blacula, Scream when I was in Beast Buy last weekend.  I remember seeing Blacula in the theater, and it scared the crap out of me.  Almost literally.  It no longer does that, but it's still a guilty pleasure.  And the sequel has Pam Grier, which is usually reason enough to watch a movie.

It's been an uneventful day for the Significant Other and myself.  Bruiser the cat is doing well, and eating his EMF (Expensive  Medicine Food) without his usual finickiness.  It's currently -11 degrees outside, with a -25 wind chill.  I'm glad I'm both warm and inside.  
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 03:29:14 PM by Robin Anderson »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2004, 03:18:33 PM »

I have a weakness for spicy Chinese food, but I have to keep it to a minimum because spicy food aggrivates my ulcer if I have too much of it, or if it's too darn hot (oooh...Ann Miller reference!).  

As far a "Chinese Food in Bed"...well...it's on this CD:
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2004, 03:57:13 PM »

Last post 3:18.  Current time: 3:56.  What's wrong with this picture?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #104 on: January 29, 2004, 03:59:39 PM »

BK, You'd do better to go with the rice than that fat and grease in the cheese and bacon in the omelet.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #105 on: January 29, 2004, 04:00:06 PM »

Thanks for the healing vibes from all who sent them. Must've worked 'cause I'm almost totally fine. Other than a somewhat nasal voice, I'm my "normal" self again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: January 29, 2004, 04:04:41 PM »

Normal, of course, being in the eye of the beholder.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #107 on: January 29, 2004, 04:08:17 PM »

Better than the bee holder being stung in the eye!

I had to run an errand from 1:30 until 2:30, at which time I was in a staff meeting from 2:30 until 3:50.  That's my excuse...and this is my post!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #108 on: January 29, 2004, 04:13:03 PM »

Okay I'll post.  See Bruce, all this talk of Chinese food has made you crave Chinese food too. I've been thinking about it all day.  And I too am not eating rice right now.

I need to read those recipes again. They sound delicous. Thanks for posting them!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #109 on: January 29, 2004, 04:27:06 PM »

SWW - That chicken salad sounds awfully good. I've made a similar (but not as interesting) one and taken this shortcut: start with a rotisserie chicken.

The best/worst typo seen on a Chinese-restaurant menu: Hacked chicken in a human sauce.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2004, 04:29:52 PM »

Normal, of course, being in the eye of the beholder.
Are you implying, sir, that I don't look normal  :P to you? We resent that.

Danise

« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2004, 04:31:42 PM »

Good evening all.  I just lost the post I working on.

Another reason to be blue.  I miss Jane already and am really sorry I didn't get the chance to tell her "bye".  My Dad was really funny about that you know.  He said You NEVER tell someone "goodbye" unless you never expect to see or talk to that person again.  

If I ever meet any of you or talk to you on the phone you will notice that I say "Bye and Bye".  People at work comment on it all the time.

I LOVE Chinese food.  I stop off at that little place near to where I live all the time.  I like Egg Fo Young , Moo Gu Gi Pan (Is that how you spell that?) and the Beef with Mushrooms the best.  Yum!

I have a few receipes but I don't know them  well enough to post them off hand.

I'm trying to watch American Idol.  Can someone please explan something to me?  I know Paula Abdul but just who the heck are the 2 guys and by what right do they judge others?  

I'm posting this before I lose it again!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 04:50:48 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2004, 04:34:29 PM »

Of course I wasn't implying that Panni doesn't look normal.  I was implying that Panni ISN'T normal.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I love hacked chicken in a human sauce and, conversely, I love hacked human in a chicken sauce.

Danise, why did you lost the post?

Danise

« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2004, 04:36:44 PM »

I don't know.  It ran away from me.  I was typing away and all of a sudden, the board came back up/sans my post!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2004, 04:37:10 PM »

Soy Orange Chicken Wings

2 1/2 lbs. wings, trimmed and separated
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbs. mild honey
1 small onion, minced
1 Tbs. orange rind
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. curry powder
Tabasco to taste ( tsp. max.)

1. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the wings.
2. Add wings, stir, marinate (in fridge) for two hours. Drain and reserve marinade. Remove from fridge half an hour before cooking.
3. Preheat broiler. Place wings on broiling rack and broil until well browned, about 15-20 minutes total. At the halfway point (i.e., about 10 minutes), turn and baste with marinade.

Serves 2-4.

Note: Check them occasionally - they brown quickly.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2004, 04:38:29 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2004, 04:51:55 PM »

Very yummiliscious.  Perhaps lurking dear reader Noel would like to tell us how he feels about Mr. Newport?

Danise

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2004, 04:52:18 PM »

LOL, just noticed I had Paula as Paul.  Whoops--I didn't mean to give her a sex change!  I fixed it.   :o
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2004, 05:26:24 PM »

Well some would say Randy and Simon have no credentials. But Simon was a record producer in England. And he was a judge on the British version of AI, Pop Idol.  Randy used to sing in some group (forget the name) and has been working in the industry for a while.

Kerry

« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2004, 05:39:04 PM »

I love Chinese food, but it's meant to be ordered take-out.   My mother once took a Chinese cooking class, and her lemon ginger chicken was great.

I can wok vegetables though.

And I like Benihana.

Locally, one of our favorite Chinese restaurants is Big Wong's (Careful, TCB).  Great food as you can tell by the fact that most of the diners there are Asian.
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2004, 05:54:27 PM »

DR Robin Anderson - I was once in a production of "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" in which I played one of the evil white recording executives - and the rumor in the small theatre was that Mr William Marshall - Blacula himself! - was in the audience.

Sometime during the second act when I had nothing much to do, I was sitting in the dressing room.  The curtain to the hallway flew open and there stood Blacula!!!

"Where is the restroom?"  he asked.  I pointed and stepped aside.  He exited a few moments later, back to the audience from whence he came.

When you watch your DVD's imagine THAT voice......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up