Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NAUSEOUS NOTES  (Read 51351 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE NAUSEOUS NOTES
« Reply #210 on: September 19, 2007, 10:19:40 AM »

Der B and I have the Polydor, but not the Varese.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #211 on: September 19, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »

I've no ideas for a Page Eight Dance.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #212 on: September 19, 2007, 10:21:44 AM »

Thank you, Nursie! So far it's going quite delightfully.

:D My day is now perfect.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #213 on: September 19, 2007, 10:28:48 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][shadow=glow,color width,#characters wide][size=8] LARRY MOORE [/size][/shadow][/move]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #214 on: September 19, 2007, 10:31:03 AM »

My brother Randy called with good news about a prospective bidder on my dad's property, so I spoke to him and my wonderful sister-in-law Jo.  No word from the Macbeths, but seriously, folks, did I expect it?

As the executer I hope you don't need anyone else's signature to sell the property.  My brother didn't.  Are you just being nice & proper, as my brother was, and keeping your siblings informed?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #215 on: September 19, 2007, 10:33:24 AM »

Have you checked here?

Nope, none of the pups are wearing my glasses.

If Jose doesn't tell me what he's done with them, I'm going to get very testy.

Jane

« Reply #216 on: September 19, 2007, 10:33:28 AM »

DR Singdaw- Sherlock wishes there was snow to make angels in.  We put the heater on today and he is not happy, for now he is outside on the back deck enjoying the cool weather.

Jane

« Reply #217 on: September 19, 2007, 10:34:27 AM »

Nope, none of the pups are wearing my glasses.

Did Fletcher possibly eat them?

singdaw

« Reply #218 on: September 19, 2007, 10:37:57 AM »

Are you just being nice & proper

Nice?  Proper??

That is OUR DR elmore3003 you are speaking of, correct?

;)

singdaw

« Reply #219 on: September 19, 2007, 10:38:36 AM »

Did Fletcher possibly eat them?

I wonder if dogs like Pepto-Bismol?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #220 on: September 19, 2007, 10:38:56 AM »

It is possible, DR Jane.  Not likely, but possible.

Right now, one of his favorite toys is an old, worn out shoe of mine.

That, and der B's emptied Yoplait cups are considered great fun.

Jane

« Reply #221 on: September 19, 2007, 10:43:05 AM »

I wonder if dogs like Pepto-Bismol?

Some, but not our white Samoyed who would spit it out and end up with a pink coat. ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #222 on: September 19, 2007, 10:45:15 AM »

I have a download here at my desk that looks like a combination of the Polydor and the Varese DROODs.  It has the "Moonfall" Quartet, "Ceylon" and all the solutions.  I wonder if it will all fit onto one CD?...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #223 on: September 19, 2007, 10:47:02 AM »

MEANWHILE...

I've much reading to do.  The shipment from Jessica's Biscuit finally arrived, so I've six new books to dive into.

(This should keep me out of trouble for a little while.)

Not to mention the arrival of the Doctor Who: New Beginnings boxed set, covering the return of The Master and the switch from Tom Baker's Doctor (the Fourth) to Peter Davison's (the Fifth).  I'm savoring these, one episode at a time... a great warmup to the final three stories of the current Doctor Who season on Sci-Fi.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #224 on: September 19, 2007, 11:06:41 AM »

Der B and I went to what we thought was the final Rehoboth Beach Farmer's Market of the season.  Good news- the Market has been extended through the second week of October!

While there, the chef at Dogfish Head, a very good brewpub in town (and yes, they do brew their own beers, not to mention their own distillery that makes excelent rum and vodka), was giving a cooking demonstration.  I was busy shopping, but der Brucer was watching and kept waving me back over to see what he was doing.

Two of his ideas ended up on our table last night.  The first was a honey-lemon rockfish fillet.  Slice a lemon crosswise, 1/4 inch thick, lay them down in a line and set the fillet on top of them, skin side down.  Season with salt and pepper, and then add a drizzle of honey.  Transfer to a grill or oven and cook for ten to fifteen minutes.  Delish.  But I suggest using a mild honey, as a strongly flavored one will overpower the fish.

Second, take some portobello mushrooms, remove the stems but keep the gills.  Set the caps gill-side up, drizzle with some Dogfish 90-Minute IPA Ale (the product plug) and layer on top some thickly julienned sweet peppers, butter, and Parmesan cheese (freshly and coursely grated, of course).  Grill for a few minutes, until the cheese is melted and the mushrooms cooked through.  This really has to be done on a grill - I tried doing it in the oven, in a pan, and the mushers came out, well, mushy.

singdaw

« Reply #225 on: September 19, 2007, 11:08:53 AM »

DR SWW -

You've probably got your hands full with those new food books at present.

And yet...there's more for your consideration:

this one
and
this one
and
this one
and
this one!

:)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #226 on: September 19, 2007, 11:13:12 AM »

HAPPIEST OF HAPPY BIRTHDAYS, LARRY.

REMEMBER, YOU'RE NOT GETTING OLDER, YOU'RE GETTING BIETTER
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #227 on: September 19, 2007, 11:26:52 AM »

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the OCR of EDWIN DROOD?  Perhaps, even George?

I do...but it looks like I caught up too late to offer my services. ;) I have the multiple ending CD.  The library where I work bought both versions and they still have circulating copies of each. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »

Speaking of birthdays...

What are we doing for bk's big milestone in December?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #229 on: September 19, 2007, 11:40:08 AM »

Someone's got a mouse...in his pocket.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #230 on: September 19, 2007, 11:42:31 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][shadow=glow,color width,#characters wide][size=8] LARRY MOORE [/size][/shadow][/move]

Is this the echo?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #231 on: September 19, 2007, 11:43:35 AM »

HAPPIEST OF HAPPY BIRTHDAYS, LARRY.

REMEMBER, YOU'RE NOT GETTING OLDER, YOU'RE GETTING BIETTER

Thanks, DR JMK, but I think you spelled it right the first time!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #232 on: September 19, 2007, 11:44:15 AM »

I have a download here at my desk that looks like a combination of the Polydor and the Varese DROODs.  It has the "Moonfall" Quartet, "Ceylon" and all the solutions.  I wonder if it will all fit onto one CD?...

It does.  I already burned one.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: September 19, 2007, 11:45:44 AM »

As the executer I hope you don't need anyone else's signature to sell the property.  My brother didn't.  Are you just being nice & proper, as my brother was, and keeping your siblings informed?

The property is not part of the estate; iut was deeded to the three of us before his death.  However, the property on the land and inside the house are the estate's concern.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: September 19, 2007, 11:47:05 AM »

Happy B./To Dr E./Chartmeister supreemo;(Robert Russell WHO?)

As far as I'm concerned, Robert Russell Bennett is still supreemo!  He forgot more things about orchestration than I'll ever learn.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #235 on: September 19, 2007, 11:50:08 AM »

DR SWW -

You've probably got your hands full with those new food books at present.

And yet...there's more for your consideration:

For my consideration, perhaps, but...
this one
One of the books that just arrived is the Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook, also by Waters.  (Please notice: 50% off at Jessica's Biscuit).  The Art of Simple Food won't be released until early October, and even with JB's discount (down to $21.00, as opposed to Amazon's $23.10) it runs over my personal rule of not ordering books that are over $15 - I have to keep the expenses down somehow!  And I'd better get through the first volume before tackleing a second by Ms. W.
and
this one
I wasn't that impressed with Bittman's original How To Cook Everything, and rarely turn to it.  And, again, this book hasn't been released as yet, won't be until Oct. 15th.  And, at $23, it's again over my price limit.
and
this one
$16.46 at JB's, $16.47 at Amazon.  Over the price limit.  The good news is that cookbooks don't age the same way as other topics do - my bet is that this will come down in price later on, and will be a good title to add to my wish list.
and
this one!

:)
Now HERE you've got my attention!  This isn't even listed at JB's as yet, and won't be out until early November.  But...

IT'S MICHAEL RUHLMAN!!!  (Oooh!  And he's got a website, too!)

I love his stuff!  His Making Of/Soul Of/Reach Of a Chef trilogy is great reading.  Charcuterie is a book I've frequently loaned to members of the meat department at the store, usually resulting with their buying copies of their own.  Not to mention his work with Thomas Keller (The French Laundry Cookbook and Bouchon).  And his appearance on the Cleveland episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on the Travel Channel, which had me laughing out loud.  (Bourdain and Ruhlman together are a total dangerous hoot!)  For this, I'll willingly go over my $15 rule.  But I'll bet I can still get it cheaper at Jessica's Biscuit.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:00:02 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2007, 11:51:49 AM »

Is this the echo?
The first one was in baby blue, this one is in pink.  Save this one for your girlie moments.  (And we all have them!)

Jane

« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2007, 12:10:44 PM »

Speaking of birthdays...

What are we doing for bk's big milestone in December?

I read this and thought you must be wrong he isn't that old ;D
Oh my God, mine is one day short of one year after Bruce's!   :o
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 12:11:01 PM by Jane »

singdaw

« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2007, 12:19:03 PM »

Seattle's S.L.U.T. is a trolley

Officially, it's South Lake Union Streetcar. In the area where it runs, it's South Lake Union Trolley, or SLUT.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2007, 12:22:52 PM »

Just to clarify on what was ordered from Jessica's Biscuit, this first go-round:

The Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook, by Alice Waters.

A Feast Made for Laughter, by Craig Claiborne.  Yep, his memoir where he, perhaps, told too much!

The Secret Life of Lobsters, by Trevor Corson.  I previously enjoyed his The Zen of Fish, all about the world of sushi.

The Bialy Eaters, by Mimi Sheraton.  This, from the back cover:

A passion for bialys, those chewy crusty roles with the toasted onion center, drew Mimi Sheraton to the Polish town of Bialystock to explore the history of this Jewish staple.  Carefully wrapping, drying, and packaging a dozen American bialys to ward off translation problems, she set off from New York in search of the people who invented this marvelous bread.  Instead, she found a place of utter desolation where turn-of-the-century massacres, followed by the Holocaust, had reduced the number of Jewish residents there from fifty thousand to five.

(And the copy that arrived is autographed!  (Her first name, Mimi, looks like a series of lower-case '"u"s.))

And The Cook's Canon: 101 Classic Recipes Everyone Should Know, by Raymond Sokolow.

This collection almost, but not quite, hit the fifty dollar target, something that der Brucer noticed but that I hadn't.  (He does all the on-line ordering in our household.)  So, looking further down the wishlist, he added Book of Spices, by Marie-Francoise Valery, a small but colorful tome on, well, spices.

Why was there a target of fifty dollars?  Because, by adding that last book, he was also able to get me, for free, a Jessica's Biscuit t-shirt and a years subscription to Gourmet Magazine.  The t-shirt, by the way, is quite fetching.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17   Go Up