Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE NAUSEOUS NOTES  (Read 50800 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE NAUSEOUS NOTES
« Reply #480 on: September 19, 2007, 07:29:47 PM »

The oatmeal raisin ones look good.

I agree, in this instance, giving a severance is the right thing to do.   Are you sure you don't need her part time for interpreting?  

Honestly, she is just learning the legal terms. She was a medical interpreter and although she's good, she doesn't understand some of the legal terminology, I have 3 other interpreters who are court certified and who I can call any time I need assistance.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #481 on: September 19, 2007, 07:31:04 PM »

DR Elmore, when is the celebration for the Plaza? Is it a public event?

I suspect it will occur during all the madness of NYMF.  I hope I can make the rehearsal.  I believe it's Sunday.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #482 on: September 19, 2007, 07:31:17 PM »

Jeanne, how do you play an oyster?

Well, we had costumes and a few lines. There were three of us. I think you'd have to be there to appreciate it.

Cillaliz

« Reply #483 on: September 19, 2007, 07:31:27 PM »

I watching a great show on Diego Rivera on PBS

Cillaliz

« Reply #484 on: September 19, 2007, 07:34:26 PM »

Callie is much better tonight. She gave Boo a bath, Boo wasn't so sure about it, then they both curled up (near each other but not touching) and are napping.  

Callie has her follow up at the vet in the morning.  I do not want her to have to go back for more misery.  I think it will be good news, but one never knows...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #485 on: September 19, 2007, 07:34:49 PM »

DR elmore, CONGRATULATIONS!  Nothing like good news on your birthday.

DR George, have fun in the new show!

DR Jose, I hope the bartender has a great voice.

Cillaliz

« Reply #486 on: September 19, 2007, 07:35:17 PM »

I suspect it will occur during all the madness of NYMF.  I hope I can make the rehearsal.  I believe it's Sunday.

As in Sunday the 23rd or Sunday the 30th?   Just checking...there will be many of us around on the 30th you know

Jane

« Reply #487 on: September 19, 2007, 07:35:58 PM »

I'm so very happy Boo & Callie are getting back to normal.  VIBES FOR CALLIE TOMORROW!

Jane

« Reply #488 on: September 19, 2007, 07:37:13 PM »

I won't be around the next few days.  Multiple vibes for the shows, traveling & good health.

Jane

« Reply #489 on: September 19, 2007, 07:39:15 PM »

'night

Cillaliz

« Reply #490 on: September 19, 2007, 07:39:46 PM »

Hope everything is ok DR Jane....thanks for the vibes and vibes for whatever you will be doing while you are gone

Jane

« Reply #491 on: September 19, 2007, 07:40:01 PM »

DR Laura-HAVE A FANTASTIC BIRTHDAY!

Jane

« Reply #492 on: September 19, 2007, 07:41:07 PM »

Yup, all is well thanks.  We are getting Sherlock's bones re-checked.  I'll post if I can, just don't think I'll be able to.  E-mail should still work.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #493 on: September 19, 2007, 07:44:48 PM »

Not sure I understand the question about real time.  But one of the worst musicals I ever saw on Broadway featured a huge clock on the set.  I kept staring at it thinking “That can’t be the real time; some crew member must have control of how slow that clock turns.”  Longest hour I ever spent.  Such Good Friends is nothing like that.  

On rehearsals: for way too long the creative team consisted of no one but me.  Director Marc Bruni joined in June and then the retooling was attended to by the two of us.  Now, we have the great minds of ten brilliant comic actors.  And that’s a lot of minds with the musical director and choreographer.  14, if you’ve kept count.  Any given wrinkle gets ironed out by a dozen or more solutions.  And today, the stage manager threw in a very good idea.  So 15.  Marc and I get to pick from an embarrassment of riches.

Each day requires me to make tons of little adjustments.  When a scene is being staged, there’s all sorts of discussion of motivations, subtext, the reasons every step is taken, every word is said.  There’s a lot of comic invention.  “How about if we try this?”  And one change often requires another.  A line must go, or be moved, or a new one must be written.  Music cues are constantly being adjusted.  It’s a lot to keep up with.

No one appears to be calmer than my musical director.  He’s got an amazingly easy-going nature about him.  When Marc asked for added excitement in the final verse of a particular song, Michael instantly came up with the idea of taking ten bars or so in double time.  Another modulation?  Natch.  While he was entering that change on his laptop, I was writing out a new set of harmonies.  Not on music paper, mind you; I had none with me.  I just wrote down the letters of what all the men should sing.  And I’d done this in the wrong key, since we’d just decided on that extra modulation.  So, a few minutes later, Michael taught the men their harmonies, and they sounded like the barbershop group from The Music Man.  Our exciting ending had arrived in short order.

I love these days, and am not looking forward to the upcoming day when I’m told the script must be frozen.  But how wonderful to have actors who are so willing to process new pages, to roll with the punches, and to offer brilliant suggestions: Liz Larsen, Brad Oscar, Jeff Talbott, Lynne Wintersteller, Dirk Lumbard, Shannon O'Bryan, Joshua James Campbell, Blake Whyte, Laura Jordan and Michael Thomas Holmes.

There's a Matthew Murray interview with me at http://www.broadwaystars.com/matthew/2007/09/september_songs_from_imagined.shtml
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Danise

« Reply #494 on: September 19, 2007, 07:45:57 PM »

I'm so very glad you had a good day, DR Elmore!

I must sign for for now.  I have to go to class again tomorrow.  Blech!

Night all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #495 on: September 19, 2007, 07:49:18 PM »

Yup, all is well thanks.  We are getting Sherlock's bones re-checked.  I'll post if I can, just don't think I'll be able to.  E-mail should still work.

Vibes for Sherlock's bones~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #496 on: September 19, 2007, 07:51:03 PM »

Thanks for the link, DR NOEL.  

If I had remember the Broadwayworld.com interview....my question would have been answered.  For some reason I thought the WHOLE play was about ONE episode of a live television show....  I was wrong.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #497 on: September 19, 2007, 07:51:48 PM »

Great kitty news, DR CILLA LIZ....and of course vibes for Sherlock.

DR GEORGE is a Zombie...Zombie...Zombie.....is his address Mora Tau?.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #498 on: September 19, 2007, 08:01:01 PM »

CONGRATS to GEORGE on his new role!

3DDiffusion

« Reply #499 on: September 19, 2007, 08:14:15 PM »

But what the quote really said was that Mr. Steiner orchestrated and arranged a few cues from Mr. Van Cleave's already-written music.

I went back and read the thread more carefully, and what that quote said was that Steiner's "(...work)"consisted of ghostwriting and orchestrating from thematic material that Van Cleave had already composed.

Now, I know nothing about music and I admit it freely. Is the term "ghost-written," code for just doing orchestration and arrangement? Because I would have thought it meant writing music in the same style as the original composer.

But if that's the only quote that ever references that Steiner did work on the movie...not much to go on as to how much he actually contributed...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:15:01 PM by 3DDiffusion »
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #500 on: September 19, 2007, 08:24:09 PM »

MattH, have you seen MCLEOD"S DAUGHTERS?

I don't  think so, no.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 08:24:31 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #501 on: September 19, 2007, 08:27:15 PM »

It means Van Cleave probably didn't have time to do everything himself and had Steiner orchestrate and write cues FROM HIS THEMATIC MATERIAL.  In other words, not Steiner music, but Van Cleave music arranged and orchestrated by Steiner.  Ghostwritten simply means sans credit, but since he didn't write his own themes it's mis-used in this context.  

In other words, when Elmer Bernstein found himself in a pinch with Heavy Metal, some of THAT score WAS ghost written by his orchestrator - not using Mr. Bernstein's actual thematic material, but writing his own sans credit.  It happens.

But, Steiner, for example, wrote some of Star Trek - The Motion Picture when Mr. Goldsmith ran out of time - it doesn't mean Mr. Goldsmith didn't write the score, though, it means Mr. Steiner came in and used Goldsmith's stuff in cues arranged by him instead of Goldsmith himself.

Or, in The Producers, would you give Glen Kelly co-composer credit with Mr. Brooks, because he took Brooks' chicken scratches and arranged them into cohesive musical material?  Of course not.  It's Brooks, with wonderful arrangements by Glen Kelly.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #502 on: September 19, 2007, 08:27:19 PM »

Well... I'm tired.  I'm sleepy.  And I have to run some errands in the morning before rehearsal, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #503 on: September 19, 2007, 08:29:56 PM »

Is Stephen Sondheim the only human being on earth who still uses an answering service?

Well, Edd "Kookie" Byrnes does, also...and he doesn't return calls.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #504 on: September 19, 2007, 08:30:53 PM »

Well, I have had a very relaxing day off, but must head to beddibye if I'm to manage a full shift at the self-scan lanes tomorrow.   :P

That, and der Brucer wants his turn at the computer.

Vibage to all, and to all a good night.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #505 on: September 19, 2007, 08:31:01 PM »

I bought the original issue of DARK VICTORY. later, when Warners set up a box set for the first Bette Davis box, they included a remastered DARK VICTORY as an inducement for buying to double dip. I resisted and bought the discs from the box that I didn't already have (and I bought them used).

So, I don't know about the quality of the remastered DV. I certainly thought the original looked fine, but Warners did a sensational remaster on THE MALTESE FALCON, and they may have done the same for DARK VICTORY.

Matt H.

« Reply #506 on: September 19, 2007, 08:33:42 PM »

I began my evening of viewing with two more BONES episodes. The first concerned the discovery of a body of a little girl who was a beauty contest winner. Sad story from many angles. The actress who played the little girl's mother also plays the bubbly resident on GREY'S ANATOMY.

Matt H.

« Reply #507 on: September 19, 2007, 08:35:07 PM »

The second BONES episode involved the world of underground extreme fighting. I remembered this episode very distinctly from the previous season, so it was fun seeing Brennan winning in Vegas and Booth made a very hot fighter.

Matt H.

« Reply #508 on: September 19, 2007, 08:37:10 PM »

Next, I watched the new Kelsey Grammer/Patricia Heaton comedy BACK TO YOU. I only laughed a couple of times, so I didn't find the pilot especially winning. I do love actor Ty Burrell, so I was glad to see him a part of the company. He had a couple of dole comments in his patented style.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up