Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: YESTERDAY'S MASHED POTATOES  (Read 32352 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: YESTERDAY'S MASHED POTATOES
« Reply #240 on: October 27, 2008, 06:02:40 PM »

Oooh!.. I had a bad Dionne Warwick concert experience too. Well, she had a semi-bad night, but it was good for a laugh.

A performer with absolutely no connection with the audience. So very cold!

T.O.D.

Sorry to disagree with the guy from Austria, but I saw Dionne Warwick live in concert in the 70's, and she was incredible, and very giving to her audience.

When we saw her in the early 70's the audience was screaming for more.  Sadly she had to leave the stage for the headliner, Tony Bennett.  He was so bad we weren't the first to leave during the show, technically during one of his numerous encores NO ONE was asking for.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #241 on: October 27, 2008, 06:11:01 PM »

Hello all.  I have now caught up.  I'm sorry I haven't been on very much today.  I've had a very fussy little baby to deal with.  He's sleeping on my chest now, so I have a minute to visit with you.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #242 on: October 27, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »

For a Good Eats episode dealing with meat pies, Alton told the tale of... his great, great grandfather who, on his journey from England to America, stopped in London at a pie shoppe... on Fleet Street...

Hey, every show needs a Halloween episode, right?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #243 on: October 27, 2008, 06:15:01 PM »

TOD - I'm going to betray my true roots as a choir nerd here, because the first concert that came to mind was a performance done by an all male vocal group called Chanitcleer.  If you ever want to hear AMAZING choral music, listen to them. I saw them live, and it was truly incredible. 
Coming in for a close second is Elaine Stritch At Liberty, which I saw in LA some years ago.  Totally delightful. 

Jennifer

« Reply #244 on: October 27, 2008, 06:28:19 PM »

Here in the U.S., last year's flu shot is one they made us wait 15 minutes for.  This year, they said we didn't need to wait.

Maybe you got the shot we got last year.

Maybe. Although every year i've gotten one i've always had to wait.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2008, 06:33:44 PM »

Lovely photos DR derBRUCER.

Funny BIG BANG THEORY tonight....reruns of the next two shows....and now a new GARY UNMARRIED with a bulked up and handsome Jay Mohr
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2008, 06:34:27 PM »

RE: concerts

When my sister and i were younger my uncle took us to a lot of concerts.  He is a huge music fan and went to a lot of the big concerts. And he usually got great seats. My sister and i would alternate going with him.

I can't remember how many concerts i went to. But 2 i remember were: Madonna and ZZ Top.

The latter was particularly funny because of the type of audience they had.

It was a while ago (maybe the early 90s?) and at the time they let people smoke at the concerts. People were smoking joints.  I had never in my life smelled that before. So it was quite an experience. But i could not for the life of me understand why the guards allowed people to do this.

My uncle told me to look at the audience (some quite scary motorcycle gang looking people) and said " THAT'S WHY!" :)

Jennifer

« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »

re: Dancing with the stars.

Wow.

faufopduafopduaofua dfj;a ufoidsauf osaufosauoid usaof usaofp uasopusopaufopsauf opsaufop
So many injuries! I feel so bad for brooke (what a time for her injry). And julianne. I wonder how long she will have to miss (she is having her appendix out tomorrow!).
I loved brooke/derek, julianne/cody and lance/lacey.
adfudapfudas98f7d 98af7 d98a7f98a7dsf987dsaf98safufsadf dsauf9dsa7f9sad7f979798 7 97 9

Laura

« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2008, 06:45:40 PM »

Thanks for the photos of the critters, DerBrucer.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2008, 06:46:15 PM »

TOD:  Jason Graae, of course. And DR Kerry took me to see Steve and Eydie a few years ago. They were great.

Laura

« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

Laura

« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »

That is my SECOND shot-of-a-lifetime.

Jane

« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2008, 06:48:34 PM »

BEAUTIFUL!

Jane

« Reply #253 on: October 27, 2008, 06:50:05 PM »

Today my hiking group too a long drive to Union Creek.  We had a lovely day with lunch & huckleberry pie at Beckie's Cafe.  Since I don't have a camera I will have to wait for copies of the photos that were taken.  One of our hikers was using his new camera :).  I'm very pleased as he really needed a new camera.

Jane

« Reply #254 on: October 27, 2008, 07:01:21 PM »

Last night we danced the Hora at a wedding.  Since the temple keeps Kosher the entire meal was vegetarian :).  We ate delicious challah baked by the gentleman who baked the desserts.  He is a 4th generation Jewish baker, and oh my can he bake.  We had the best rugelach we have ever had.  I am not a fan of eclairs but my were these delicious, the best I have had.   Keith said his black & white cookie was excellent.  We both passed on the beautiful strawberry cream puffs.

The baker & his wife, the cantor, sat next to us at our table.  They were both very nice.

Jane

« Reply #255 on: October 27, 2008, 07:21:58 PM »

'night

Laura

« Reply #256 on: October 27, 2008, 07:24:42 PM »

Good night, Jane.

Cillaliz

« Reply #257 on: October 27, 2008, 07:40:18 PM »

For DR CILLALIZ, re: the flu shot question.

I had mentioned that here it is required for people to wait after they get their flu shot. And you asked why.

I didn't realize that it wasn't mandatory everywhere. But the reason we are required to wait after getting a flu shot is in case we get a reaction. Apparently if you are going to get a reaction it is most common that it will happen in the first 15 minutes. So they make everyone wait just to make sure they did not have a reaction.

That was why i asked you if they had made you wait. And i think i asked how soon the reaction occured (i was curious). Hope that helps.

Ah, I must have missed that post, now it makes complete sense. No, they didn't have me wait and it didn't get red and hot for about a day. Redness and a little swelling are very common side effects. It's minor and goes away in about 2 days, which is what happened to me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #258 on: October 27, 2008, 08:02:25 PM »

Good Evening!

Greetings from Richmond. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #259 on: October 27, 2008, 08:04:39 PM »

The bus - and the bus driver - made great time again getting down to Richmond.  We pulled into the parking lot of the 7-11 at Boulevard and Broad at 10:05.  We left NYC at 4:00 - well, we left Chinatown at 4:00, and then left from Penn Station at 4:30.  -Even with stops at Baltimore and DC for some drop-offs - and in the rain too - the whole trip in a little over six hours, not bad at all. -Of course, I wasn't looking at the speedometer, so... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #260 on: October 27, 2008, 08:06:44 PM »

Lord.....DRJOSE....now I remember why I don't go see shows like Spring Awakening....I liked the CD....but I don't want to sit next to people like the girl in that video....

For DR CILLALIZ, re: the flu shot question.

I had mentioned that here it is required for people to wait after they get their flu shot. And you asked why.

I didn't realize that it wasn't mandatory everywhere. But the reason we are required to wait after getting a flu shot is in case we get a reaction. Apparently if you are going to get a reaction it is most common that it will happen in the first 15 minutes. So they make everyone wait just to make sure they did not have a reaction.

That was why i asked you if they had made you wait. And i think i asked how soon the reaction occured (i was curious). Hope that helps.

DR Jennifer, I forgot to mention there have been drive-thru flu clinics, as amazing as that is.  I’m sure no one waits after those.

Here in the U.S., last year's flu shot is one they made us wait 15 minutes for.  This year, they said we didn't need to wait.

Maybe you got the shot we got last year.

I didn't have to wait last year either

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #261 on: October 27, 2008, 08:08:18 PM »

So, on the ride from the bus drop-off to the house, I asked my Dad how things were going.  Then my asking turned into an interrogation of sorts.  Alas, after some of the answers he gave me, it looks like I'm going to have to talk to the nurse in the morning to make sure BOTH my parents are properly following the dietary guidelines for their current conditions and medications.

*It looks like I'll be eating a lot of salad greens, kale and spinach over the next couple of days, or, at the very least, making sure neither of my parents have any of that stuff.  I think DR Ginny knows what I'm talking about out.  If my mother says, "Well, I'll just have a little salad.."...  OY!  OY!  OY!  OY!  OY!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #262 on: October 27, 2008, 08:09:02 PM »

But I am glad to be back here for a couple of days.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #263 on: October 27, 2008, 08:11:44 PM »

*It looks like I'll be eating a lot of salad greens, kale and spinach over the next couple of days, or, at the very least, making sure neither of my parents have any of that stuff.  I think DR Ginny knows what I'm talking about out.  If my mother says, "Well, I'll just have a little salad.."...  OY!  OY!  OY!  OY!  OY!

LOL!
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #264 on: October 27, 2008, 08:17:04 PM »

LOL!

-And since my Dad is also on blood thinners now, well... Of course, what did he buy yesterday at Costco?  -A big "clamshell" of mesclun, and a head of broccoli.   Again... OY!  OY!  OY!  OY!

*At least my Dad admitted that my Mom has never really used her blood glucose meter.  Well, she actually broke the one she had a couple of years ago, and then just kept telling my Dad, "Oh, I know I'm OK. I'm OK."  Well...  Again, I'll be having a good talk with the visiting nurse in the morning.  And something tells me I'll be accompanying my Dad when he goes for his follow-up doctor's visit on Wednesday.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #265 on: October 27, 2008, 08:17:44 PM »

It is going to be very cold here tonight. Maybe in the teens!  I hadn't gotten around to putting the storm windows on my front and back door, so I just did it.  I think that will help. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: October 27, 2008, 08:18:10 PM »

Last night we danced the Hora at a wedding.  Since the temple keeps Kosher the entire meal was vegetarian :).  We ate delicious challah baked by the gentleman who baked the desserts.  He is a 4th generation Jewish baker, and oh my can he bake.  We had the best rugelach we have ever had.  I am not a fan of eclairs but my were these delicious, the best I have had.   Keith said his black & white cookie was excellent.  We both passed on the beautiful strawberry cream puffs.

Do they freeze well?  And does he ship?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #267 on: October 27, 2008, 08:18:49 PM »

It is going to be very cold here tonight. Maybe in the teens!  I hadn't gotten around to putting the storm windows on my front and back door, so I just did it.  I think that will help. 

And there's a chance of some light snow tomorrow night in NYC too!?!??!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #268 on: October 27, 2008, 08:19:32 PM »

And speaking of the weather....

Very, very interesting developments with the current World Series tonight.  Very interesting.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #269 on: October 27, 2008, 08:21:19 PM »

Tonight is the first night since I've been on this diet that I was really craving food. I did manage to just eat my daily points, so I'm fine but there was a moment when I starting thinking oh what the heck....
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up