Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE METAPHORICAL ME  (Read 22467 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE METAPHORICAL ME
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2004, 11:18:32 AM »

Mostly, the problem with the show was that Albert Marre, the original director, did nothing new with it and kept it in a time capsule.  It just looked very, very tired and phlegmatic.  In fact, the guy playing Carrasco was the same guy who had played it when I had seen it in one of the road companies with either Keith Andes or Bob Wright, back in the sixties.

DRCharlesPogue, if you saw it in Cincinnati, it was Keith Andes.  That was my first viewing of a proscenium production after the glorious original.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2004, 11:20:04 AM »

No one is reading?  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2004, 11:20:09 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
PAGE 3!  PAGE 3!  PAGE 3!  EVERYBODY DANCE!  PAGE 3!  PAGE 3! PAGE 3!
[/move] :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D :o ::) :o ::) :-* ??? :-* ???
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2004, 11:25:25 AM »

Just heard from "the nice lady." She was not thrilled, but accepted the situation politely.

DRPanni, which house are you truly renting?  Is there a guest room?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2004, 11:25:45 AM »

Surfer music never did anything for me (surfers, maybe, but not the music ;))  When I was in high school show choir, we did perform a few surfer songs with arm-ography (which is choreography for the arms only).  It was fun at the time, but I think it turned me off to surfer music because, as far as show choirs go, we were probably not too bad, but as far as musical performing in general (looking back at it now), it was quite cheezy.  I don't know if I could really appreciate it now.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2004, 11:28:53 AM »

Did people miss my post or has no one gone to the linked website, yes or no?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2004, 11:29:07 AM »

Specifically YOU, elmore.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2004, 11:29:49 AM »

Girl-groups:  I was always fond of the Crystals.  Weren't they the ones who did HE'S REBEL & UPTOWN?  I never much cared for The Supremes though...

I've swum in the Pacific about twice...when I first came out here.  I swam in the Atlantic a few years ago when we and two other couples were staying in a beach house on the Island of Palm in Charleston, South Carolina.  That experience taught me you don't so much swim in the Atlantic as just get beat up by it.

If I want to swim, I want to swim...in a clean,placid, properly chlorinated pool free of debris...both natural and unnatural..., salt, wet sand, and slimy, strange creatures, some dangerous, swimming in close proximtiy.

I love the beach though, for strolling, the breezes, looking at sunsets, staring out at its endlessness from a verandah while imbibing alcholic beverages with good company and good music close at hand...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:37:13 AM by Charles Pogue »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2004, 11:30:03 AM »

Is Arthur Myerson any relation to Miss Bess Myerson?

I am intrigued by the opening paragraphs of Writer's Block, a Mystery by Bruce Kimmel.

Yes, I feel as if I am there....and like Arthur and his puddles - it is an attention getter.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2004, 11:31:13 AM »

I didn't mean to sit like so much fish.  I have a couple of projects going on here at work and the computer (an Apple) is not cooperating with me.

Ahhh...well....

OIC - DRELMORE - yes it is too bad Annette wasn't there....but I am sure that the boys more than did justice to her tune.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2004, 11:32:00 AM »

I have swum in the Atlantic, and in the Black Sea off the coast of Ireland, and in the Gulf of Mexico, but I've never been to me.....

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2004, 11:32:21 AM »

Woah... started reading the excerpt, didn't realize it took place in the theatre.. I'll finish it later, gotta go teach 3rd graders about nonesense words like "Da Do Ron Ron" and "O Wem oh weh" and "dum dum dum dum, dum de do di dum"... they just don't get it!!!  :)

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2004, 11:32:35 AM »

Just heard from "the nice lady." She was not thrilled, but accepted the situation politely.

Jennifer - Sounds like your sister was buying a place. I'm renting.
As bk said, this kind of thing happens. That's why I went over last night to the home of the people who own the place I decided on -- to give them a check and sign the lease. They said it could wait until morning - but I wanted it ALL done. This is the kind of place I'm sure they'd get a million calls on (they were booked up all day for showings) and I wanted to get it signed, sealed and delivered.

Yes, you're right my sister was buying.

I think the "nice lady" will have definitely learned something.  If she hadn't put you off for 5 days then she wouldn't have this problem. :)

Sounds like a crazy business.  You were right to get everything done ASAP, cause otherwise maybe they would have shown the houe to someone else.  Oy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2004, 11:35:05 AM »

Elmore, I saw both Keith Andes and Bob Wright in Cincy, both at the Shubert Theatre. Andes, first, in high school.  Wright, when I was in college (the Andes version was certainly the stronger of the two).  I just can't remember which production the same Carrasco from the Julia show was in without trolling through my old theatre programs...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2004, 11:36:06 AM »

Finally, someone took a look.  Thanks, Jrand.  Yes, Matthew, the book takes place in the world of the musical theatah circa 1969 (while the date isn't mentioned in the opening chapter excerpt, it is mentioned on the page before the opening chapter in a press release).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:36:58 AM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2004, 11:39:03 AM »

I like girl solo singers more than I like girl groups.

Lesley Gore, Connie Francis, Annette (of course), Sandy Posey, Jackie Ward, Diane Renay
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 12:07:33 PM by JRand54 »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2004, 11:42:03 AM »

I like what I see so far of Writer's Block.  While the entire excerpt gives me a pretty good idea of what kind of guy Arthur Myerson is, the first paragraph alone gives a nice promise of the tone of book--there's a show tune reference in just the second sentence.

And I need to go get a cup of hot coffee now to chase away the cold and misery I'm feeling after reading about Arthur's walk through the rain storm.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2004, 11:47:01 AM »

This morning I went for a walk at the zoo. While I was sitting by the lake, the keeper came by and fed the migrant ducks that make the zoo their winter home:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2004, 11:48:15 AM »

Love the preview to Writer's Block!  How long will it be before we can place an order?  I've bookmarked the page.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2004, 11:49:26 AM »

Is there a guest room?

Yes! Hoo and Ray.
I'll check out the WRITER'S BLOCK site later (I've read the book and it's GOOD). Have to get ready for a lunch meeting.

George

« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2004, 11:54:56 AM »

As for Girl Groups, Janis Siegel (alto of The Manhattan Transfer), Cheryl Bentyne (soprano of The Manhattan Transfer) and Laurel Massé (original soprano of The Manhattan Transfer) have performed together as "Moxie."  A couple of years ago (early last year?), they were on an Internet radio show and I was able to record the four or five songs that they performed.

Last month, Janis Siegel was on a radio show from St. Louis that was broadcast on the Internet (which I also recorded) and I called in and was able to ask a question!  I asked if Moxie would ever record and Janis said that they (Moxie) are doing a concert in January and MIGHT record!  That would be a very, very, very (three verys) good thing!  They are all great as soloists (and with The Manhattan Transfer) but as the trio they were just fabulous!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 11:55:49 AM by George »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2004, 11:54:59 AM »

Specifically YOU, elmore.

Dear Friend BK, I'm embarassed that I missed the post the first time round!  I just read it, and I liked what I read, but since there's something specifically for me, I feel I've missed something!   I can't wait to read the rest of it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2004, 11:56:36 AM »

I have swum in the Atlantic, and in the Black Sea off the coast of Ireland, and in the Gulf of Mexico, but I've never been to me.....

You're a tramp and a scamp and a bit of a vamp.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2004, 11:58:04 AM »

When I was in high school show choir, we did perform a few surfer songs with arm-ography (which is choreography for the arms only).  

DRGeorge, I believe that in the GALA Chorus movement (Gay and Lesbian) it's called choralography.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2004, 12:10:06 PM »

From that VARIETY review that WEL quoted:

"Oh dear.  The caterwauling vocal callisthenics that are de riguer among "American Idol" contestants have planted their demon seed on Broadway in "Brooklyn, The Musical," a series of overwrought whitebread Gospel ballads strung together in search of a book."

What idiocy! Melisma was certainly part and parcel of Heather Headley's Tony-winning vocal stylings in AIDA, and there's more than a little of it in RENT, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2004, 12:12:37 PM »

I want to check out WRITER'S BLOCK, bk, but I am really rushed for time right now. I'll remember that the link is on page 2 of today's notes and try it tonight after I return home from my performance.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2004, 12:13:32 PM »

George, the official Writer's Block website should be up by November 1 (maybe even sooner), at which time you can place your order.  

Elmore, I figured you missed the post - I only meant specifically that you would understand the world of the book immediately.

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2004, 12:14:37 PM »

BK, I read...I liked...and I am awaiting the release so that I will have something good to read whilst I cardio away at the gym!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2004, 12:15:16 PM »

You're a tramp and a scamp and a bit of a vamp.

That goes without saying, DRELMORE.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2004, 12:16:26 PM »

George, just to be clear - you'll order from our official site, not from the site you bookmarked.  At least if you want a signed copy.  I'm still not sure about doing a CD for the book - I want to, but Grant isn't available right now and I'm not quite certain how to do it without him and without it costing a fortune.  We shall see.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up