Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: GOING AND DOING  (Read 74479 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:GOING AND DOING
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2007, 10:14:48 AM »

I'm working on a set design for Eugene O'Neill's one-act Thirst and it calls for a life RAFT, not boat, from an ocean liner from circa 1913.  I need a picture! ... der Brucer work the net for me and cut and paste a picture of a 1913 life raft, please!

No luck - cica 1912 life boats, but no rafts..
Here is a life raft from my youth:

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2007, 10:15:16 AM »

Anyone have a tan Buick Regal parked in front of the Omaha Airport. It's about to be towed

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2007, 10:15:30 AM »

I'm still perplexed by the life RAFT business -- there is a photo of the only time they staged Thirst back in 1916 and the raft looks flat, like a raft and not a boat -- and the stage directions by O'Neill sound like they're sitting and crawling around on a raft not in a boat .. I will really have to research this further...

Miss Karen, if you are the designer, you can jsut say that you've decided on a comic strip motif for the play.  Then you just have to design a flat cut out of a raft for the actors to hold up in front of them.

Just tell the director that the comic strip motif will act as conflicting counterpoint to the themes of the play.  Maybe you can work in Popeye in this somewhere, too.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Miss Karen

« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2007, 10:16:31 AM »

DR Jane!  How are you and how is DP Sherlock?  I was going to send you an email last night, but couldn't figure out how to do it -- couldn't find the "send email to Jane" button on this site...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2007, 10:17:01 AM »

It snowed yesterday morning, what a shock!  Then it rained all afternoon, including during my entire walk.  At least I got out.  Keith & I keep pushing each other out the door to get some exercise.  

Sherlock is progressing nicely, which also means the less pain, the more he wants to play.  Last night he kept biting his leg, elbow, or whatever and we didn’t get much sleep.  Now I’m walking around like a zombie & fighting a cold.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2007, 10:17:48 AM »

Philly? I'll be happy to get to Milwaukee

DR Cillaliz, you've watched TAR enough times to know what to do--go up to the ticket counter and tell them you are in desperate, desperate need to get on a plane!  Beg and cry!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2007, 10:18:38 AM »

No Salad works...sorry

Darn.  I guess I'm going to have to walk to the one that's two blocks from here...
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2007, 10:19:00 AM »

Question for BK:

DR JRand's WWS at Grauman's comment made me wonder--how long did a movie play at this theatre?  Since it was such a prestige place to premier a movie, it must have also been in high demand.  What was their run policy?  Was everything set for a limited engagement after the premier?  Or did they run like Radio City and cycle out films after the receipts dipped below a certain threshold?

Well, I don't know if there was a policy or not, but WSS played there for a year, I believe.

Miss Karen

« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2007, 10:19:15 AM »

No luck - cica 1912 life boats, but no rafts..
Here is a life raft from my youth:

der Brucer

Where's the cutline (which one is you)?  Do I see a new avatar photo coming?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #219 on: March 28, 2007, 10:21:22 AM »

Hi, Jane!

Is Sherlock old enough to chew on a knucklebone?  That might keep him occupied on chewing on something else long enough to let you have a nice long nap.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #220 on: March 28, 2007, 10:23:12 AM »

Hello AnimalMagnetism and WELCOME fellow Sagittarian (there are quite a few of us here including our host).  

What part of England are you from?  My mother was from the Manchester area & I still have loads of relatives over there.  When I have more time to post we shall have to discuss English sweets, such as my favorite marzipan.

MBarnum

« Reply #221 on: March 28, 2007, 10:23:57 AM »

You may try again now DR Cason.

Cillaliz

« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2007, 10:24:28 AM »

DR Cillaliz, you've watched TAR enough times to know what to do--go up to the ticket counter and tell them you are in desperate, desperate need to get on a plane!  Beg and cry!

LOL, I went to the ticket counter 3 or 4 times in classic TAR style. No tears because even with the delay I will be able to make my connection.  They were professional enough to have a back-up plan and tell me exactly what flight they would put me on if the flight became delayed to the point that i couldn't make my connection.   I heard them doing that for everyone on the flight. It really reduces the stress to know you can get there, when and how.   BUT Midwest has wide leather seats and chocolate chip cookies...I don't mind waiting

Jane

« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2007, 10:24:51 AM »

DiT-LOL.  Sherlock is definitely old enough but he is too powerful a chewer to give him one.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2007, 10:25:09 AM »

Well, I don't know if there was a policy or not, but WSS played there for a year, I believe.

Hmmm...would they allow for other movies to premier there during the long run of another movie like WWS?  It always seems like in those newsreels that lots of movies opened at Graumann's but how could that be if there were long running movies playing there?
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2007, 10:25:19 AM »

More healing vibes to Sherlock

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2007, 10:27:01 AM »

Last night's "American Idol":

I loved Melinda, Lakisha, Gina, and both Chris's.

I am in the middle about Phil and Blake.

I did not like Jordin's or Haley's songs.

I hated Sanjaya.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »

DR Jane, I talked to my brother Dan last night and he mentioned the snow down in Medford...quite a surprise in the midst of spring!

Hope you cold gets better as well as the plucky little Sherlock...Vibes are being sent by me and Dog Bosco.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2007, 10:28:04 AM »

Well, I guess I'll go get my salad.  Hopefully with feta.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2007, 10:28:49 AM »

TOD:

bk, I am curious about your working style for your writing.  Do you work from a detailed outline that you map out in advance?

I work from notes, but never an outline.  For the Kritzer books I just had pages of notes about incidents I wanted to write about.  The shape of the first book just happened and that became the template for the two subsequent books - prologue, part one (anecdotal and character), part two (the story), and an epilogue tied to the prologue.  Interestingly, I'd originally written what became the central story of the first book early on as just an early chapter.  When I went back and read it I knew I had to story of the book and I just moved it to what became part two.

For Writer's Block, I knew exactly the structure of the book (which is unconventional for a mystery), and again I had lots of notes but no outline - I don't like outlines.  Many can't work without them, but for me it's like having blinders on - working without one means I'm not tied to sticking to it and every book I've done has taken me interesting places I would never have gone had I been working with an outline.  I learn things as the characters learn them and that's the way I love to write.

With Rewind, again, I knew the exact structure and what would happen, and had lots of notes, but that was it.

The short stories, it was just basically the idea for each of the stories - I only had two going in, and the rest just came to me as I went along.

For the new book, I wanted to write a more conventional mystery, like the ones I grew up enjoying - no outline, but lots of notes.  Again, the book has taken me places I never would have thought of with an outline.  

So, in essence, I don't write the books, the books write me.

Jane

« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2007, 10:29:03 AM »

I need to accept the fact Keith really isn’t going to our 40th high school reunion with me in two weeks :'( and book a flight.  

Now I will likely fly in on Friday night & return Monday morning, if I can still get a seat.  That will give me enough time to see Keith’s mother, my brother, and attend the reunion activities.  If I’m lucky I will also get to see a niece or two and my nephew.

Miss Karen

« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2007, 10:29:05 AM »

Miss Karen, if you are the designer, you can jsut say that you've decided on a comic strip motif for the play.  Then you just have to design a flat cut out of a raft for the actors to hold up in front of them.

Just tell the director that the comic strip motif will act as conflicting counterpoint to the themes of the play.  Maybe you can work in Popeye in this somewhere, too.

I will be the director, too -- hmmmm, Popeye might work -- it does have O'Neill's triangular relationship thing -- so Popeye, Olive Oil and Brutus (...or Wimpy would give it an interesting twist -- ironic fate indeed) adrift on a raft at the mercy of the sea...

Cillaliz

« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2007, 10:29:06 AM »

Vibes to Sherlock, Jane, Keith, Michael S and all who need them

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2007, 10:29:49 AM »

But first--

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~^~^~^~^~^  VIBES FOR SHERLOCK  ^~^~^~^~^~[/move]
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2007, 10:30:21 AM »

Anyone have a tan Buick Regal parked in front of the Omaha Airport. It's about to be towed

Dang! THAT'S where I left that car...

Jane

« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2007, 10:30:47 AM »

Back to watching Sherlock.  Thanks again for all the good thoughts and vibes.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2007, 10:30:54 AM »

I will be the director, too -- hmmmm, Popeye might work -- it does have O'Neill's triangular relationship thing -- so Popeye, Olive Oil and Brutus (...or Wimpy would give it an interesting twist -- ironic fate indeed) adrift on a raft at the mercy of the sea...

I like it already!
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #237 on: March 28, 2007, 10:30:56 AM »

Think I'll pack up and get one of those tasty pizzas before I go through security and hopefully board in about 45 minutes.

Miss Karen

« Reply #238 on: March 28, 2007, 10:31:33 AM »

...he just can't bring out the can of spinach...the script says they all must die...

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2007, 10:31:41 AM »

I'm still perplexed by the life RAFT business -- there is a photo of the only time they staged Thirst back in 1916 and the raft looks flat, like a raft and not a boat -- and the stage directions by O'Neill sound like they're sitting and crawling around on a raft not in a boat .. I will really have to research this further...

There were actual "life rafts", as opposed to inflatable "life boats" - but not on the Titanic. They were large rectangles of kapok with canvas mesh bottoms. (The kapok kept the raft afloat so you needn't worry about water getting inside.) People could get in side, and also cling to straps mounted to the kapok perimeter. The rafts had oars strapped to the side and an emergency pack of water, some food, and flares.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31   Go Up