Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME  (Read 13709 times)

MBarnum

Re:BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME
« Reply #180 on: May 14, 2005, 08:47:27 PM »

I just finished watching Colleen Moore in THE SCARLET LETTER. Boy, am I glad I didn't live in the Puritan days...I am afraid I would constantly be in the stockade!  :-\
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 08:49:03 PM by MBarnum »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #181 on: May 14, 2005, 09:13:35 PM »

Back from a dee-lightful and dee-lovely birthday dinner for The Lovely Wife as the guests of Mr. Kimmel.  We three laughed and gorged until we could laugh and gorge no more.  I suspect that this outing at Musso's was a better one than Bk's last.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: May 14, 2005, 09:14:15 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?

Back from a lively and sparkling dinner with the Pogues.  Dirt was dished, names were named, and we laughed and laughed and just when we thought we could laugh no more, we laughed again.  Pogue and I had the Pounded Steak with Country gravy, which was about twice the size as it normally is.  I am about ready to explode.  We also had salads and he had the Bread Pudding and I the Black Forest Cake for dessert, just to insure exploding.  The lovely Julieanne had the Combination Louis.  The food was back to its former excellence.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: May 14, 2005, 09:16:15 PM »

MattH, if you are talking about that documentary on The Third Man that TMC has been airing, that is just about the worst piece of merde I've ever seen.  The writer, producer, director ought to have his writing, producing, directing license revoked, since the documentary was more about him and his offensive hip with-it technique than it was about The Third Man.  If they cut to the projector with the film running amok one more time I would have flown to the UK to personally brain the cretin.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2005, 09:20:44 PM »

BK.peaking of Westerns, as we were earlier this evening, MAN OF THE WEST is just starting on TCM.  I actually saw it last week again.  Some  fine scenery-chewing by Lee J. Cobb milking it...Milk, hell, it's cottage cheese!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2005, 09:31:06 PM »

Yes, I watched it on a region 2 DVD about a month ago - I wrote about Lee's over-the-top performance.  I love Cooper in the film, though, and even Julie is fine.  And I always like Arthur O'Connell.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2005, 09:41:17 PM »

Good Evening!

DR Jane - Well, I said I may be going to Lancaster, so...  Andy and his sister are leaving at the very early hour of 5:30AM(!!!!!!), so...  It's the thought that counts. :)

My friend, Matt, lives in Strasburg, and actually used to be a guide and engineer for the train that goes up and around the mountain - or something like that.  Beautiful town.

-The reason for the early departure is that Andy's sister is attending a dog show - and showing a dog.  The dog show starts at 10:00 - and is only supposed to run an hour.  So since they're gonna be up there, they might as well hit Amish country.  Andy wants to finally buy a quilt, and his sister supposedly is shopping for furniture.  Now if I happen to find myself awake at 4:30, well, then... Stranger things have happened.  We'll see.  *I'd also just like to head up there with Andy, no sister in tow.  Let's just say Andy's sister shares some traits with DR SWW's sister.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2005, 09:43:49 PM »

I just had to make a run to the grocery store to pick up some breakfast stuff for the morning.  I came upon quite the police roadblock.  Apparently, a tree or two fell, pulled down some power lines, and traffic and streets lights were out in one section.  It was quite the sight.  The placed lots of those red traffic flares in the road - lots of flares making lots of smoke.  And since the air was kind of foggy from all the rain earlier...  Kind of spooky.  Very atmospheric at the least.
Make Your Own Luck.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2005, 09:49:09 PM »

Will Ferrell is the host of SNL tonight, and is doing a mahvelous job if I do say so myself.

Fellow DRs, I have been accepted into the Virginia Governors School for Performing Arts! For the month of July, I will live at the University of Richmond to study music and be with fellow music dorks like myself. 'Tis quite exciting.

I have to work in 7 hours, and I've been around and about all day, so I bit you adieu. Just checking in. Hope you're well, and email me please!

BTW, MBarnum, you are really very handsome, your avatar always manages to catch my eye :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

MBarnum

« Reply #189 on: May 14, 2005, 09:56:55 PM »

Ah, Swishy, you make me blush! LOL!

And congrats to you!!!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #190 on: May 14, 2005, 10:04:04 PM »

"Bitting" someone adieu is quite like "bidding" them adieu. Forgive me, I'm sleepy.

And you are welcome, MBarnum :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: May 14, 2005, 10:50:53 PM »

About to write the notes.  I can tell this is going to be a horrid allergy season.  Mine have come back full force.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #192 on: May 14, 2005, 10:58:28 PM »

Good evening, one and all (which is George and BK).  I just finished watching the DVD of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.

Now, I have never been a huge fan of ALW.  Years ago, I was blown-away when the original concept album of JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR came out, because I had never heard anything like it before.  However, I thought things went downhill quickly after that.  I have written enough about my feelings concerning VELVITA and RATS, so I won't bother to repeat myself.  However, of all of ALW's works since JCS, I have always liked PHANTOM OF THE OPERA better than any of the others.  But considering all I had read about the film, and considering who directed the picture, I was not expecting very much.

So, after saying all that, let me just say that I truly enjoyed the film.  It was far from perfect, but I enjoyed it from start to finish.  I thought Ms. Rossum acquitted herself quite nicely and I thought Patrick Wilson made a very believable Raoul.  Mr. Butler would not have been my first choice for the Phantom, but with the mask on he did resemble ALW's other choice for the Phantom, Antonio Banderas.  The thing I found rather strange about Mr. Butler is that he must have had some type of plastic surgery or implant on his chin, because at certain camera angles it looked unworldly.  I could have done without THE ELEPHANT MAN back-story, and the candelabras coming out of the water was a better effect on stage than on the screen.  But overall, I like the film better than the stage play, probably because the final scenes in his lair worked better close up on the screen than they did in the rather cavernous theaters I have seen the show staged.  In fact, I enjoyed the film so much, I may just watch it again tomorrow.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 11:01:20 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #193 on: May 14, 2005, 11:08:32 PM »

George, have you gone to see LA CAGE yet?
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #194 on: May 14, 2005, 11:11:46 PM »

Mr. Pogue, do you have any idea how long it will be before HERCULES is available on DVD?
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #195 on: May 14, 2005, 11:13:04 PM »

No.  I see it this coming Wednesday.  I've been hearing some really good things about it...and some not so good things that I hope will be worked out.  A friend of mine saw it on their final dress and I figure that it was just too early.  It might be that they need to really get used to just performing it, which I don't doubt will be the case. ;)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 11:13:53 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #196 on: May 14, 2005, 11:16:30 PM »

Well, I have had a day.  I had some errands to run this early afternoon.  After all of that busy business was done, I came home and found my housemate (Peter) and his brother (David) mowing the lawn!!  Yea!!  David was in the back using the gas-powered push mower and Peter was in the front yard driving David's riding lawn mower, which David most graciously brought over from McCleary.  I don't know how far McCleary is from Olympia, but it isn't just across town.  As soon as I got home, I started helping and when we stopped more than an hour later, all of the front (finally!) and almost half of the back yard was done!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #197 on: May 14, 2005, 11:25:56 PM »

Now, before you all think, what's so special about all that, when Peter and I moved in here, he said that he[/b] would mow the lawn on a regular basis...except that Peter rarely mowed the lawn and it got quite tall!  I was actually thinking about renting a brush cutter, but now I don't have to.  To show my appreciation at them (finally) getting the lawn mowed, I offered to take them to dinner, or order pizza or whatever they wanted.  I also mentioned that I had some Schwann's frozen pizza and both Peter and David were perfectly happy with that.  Peter called his "ladyfriend" Leane and invited her to join us a little later.  I had to take a shower, Peter had to take a shower...NOT at the same time. ;) David needed to take a shower, but he didn't.  Oh, well.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: May 14, 2005, 11:30:28 PM »

New notes coming shortly.  

George

« Reply #199 on: May 14, 2005, 11:33:01 PM »

Hopefully not too shortly!

George

« Reply #200 on: May 14, 2005, 11:34:17 PM »

Anyway, I made the two Schwann's frozen pizzas and we ate and we chatted and we listed to CDs of my choosing.  I chose Lea DeLaria's "Play It Cool," Cleo Laine's "That Old Feeling," Alan Paul's first ever solo CD, "Another Place and Time" and Adryan Russ' "Everyone Has a Story," produced by our very own BK!!  The Adryan Russ CD got more "Ooo, I like that song" comments than the others, but everyone said that they really liked all the music.  After the pizza was over, we chatted some more, we went outside and played with David's brand new dog, Trigger (I forget what kind of dog he said it was...a Blue "something") that he brought over.  Eventually, David and Trigger left, then Peter, Leane and I chatted some more, then Liane (I have no idea how to spell her name) left.

Earlier, my sister and niece came over and played with the dog, and they brought their camera!  They took pictures of Trigger (he's so cute!!) AND a couple of pictures of the very, very, very (that's three verys!) tall grass.  It came up to my armpits!  And to prove it, here's a picture of my back yard (forgive me!) with the grass up to my armpits...now, it is only the tallest of the grass that's up to my armpits, not ALL of it is completely up to my armpits, but here's the picture:

George

« Reply #201 on: May 14, 2005, 11:35:05 PM »

And here's my niece Hilary in the very, very, very (that's three verys!) tall grass:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 11:35:18 PM by George »

George

« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2005, 11:36:01 PM »

And finally, here's my sister Diane with Trigger!

George

« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2005, 11:37:49 PM »

It's hard to tell, but in the picture with me, the tallest of the grass is actually touching the underside of my arm! ;D

George

« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2005, 11:38:57 PM »

And that concludes my frenzy!!

George

« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2005, 11:41:43 PM »

Except that here are a few more pictures.  This is my housemate Peter:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 11:41:57 PM by George »

George

« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2005, 11:42:41 PM »

Here's Trigger chewing my sister's fingers:

George

« Reply #207 on: May 14, 2005, 11:43:41 PM »

And finally, finally, Trigger himself, the cutest puppy in the world:

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2005, 11:44:04 PM »

DR George - That's some TALL grass! *And in the City of Richmond, you probably would have been fined repeatedly for keeping an unkempt yard.  -The reason being that too many critters and bugs can hide in said tall grass.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2005, 11:44:38 PM »

And that's one cute puppy too!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up