Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME  (Read 13521 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2005, 02:33:57 PM »

The Breakfast/Brunch/Lunch Report:

Today's Selections: Chicken Noodle Soup (cup); Silver Diner "Paddy" Melt (1/4 pound beef patty, with caramelized onions, American and cheddar cheese on marble rye); blackberry cobbler (their seasonal dessert).

The Silver Diner chain has been around the DC area for a number of years.  When they started off, they used to be more diner-y, but they eventually succumbed to the corporate faux-slickness that a lot of restaurant chains succumb to as they expand and become more successful - for better or worse.  In any case... The Menu has been tweaked over the years.  Purveyors have been changed.  And, alas, some old favorites are no longer on the menu.  *They actually used to have a whole "healthy" menu - sort of Califonia inspired - which was never really touted as being "healthful".  I miss their White Bean Spread and Flatbread appetizer.  **I also miss their use of Haagen-Daaz and Mattus Ice Cream products.   Oh, where was I...

The Chicken Soup is pretty decent here.  Made in-house for the most part, with in-house made stock - at least so the menu says - and it tastes that way since the soup never really tastes exactly the same from visit to visit.  And sometimes it's made differently.  Today's cup had pasta shells in it, other times it's been flat egg noodles.  But a very good cup of soup.  Lots of chicken, vegetables and noodles.  I, of course, crumbled the accompanying saltines into my cup.

The Paddy Melt was very good too.  A very generous hamburger patty, lots of onions and lots of gooey, melting cheese.  And grilled nicely too.  Oh, and the accompanying shoestring fries had to be some of the best I've ever had there.  Freshly fried, and still steaming a little bit.  Very crisp too.

After a couple of minutes of digesting and reading - I brought along some newspapers - I finally decided on dessert.  At first I was thinking I would get the Double-Chocolate Triple-Layer Cake... Then The Chocolate Brownie Decadence... Then the Banana Split...  The the Junior Banana Split...  Then the Diner Sundae... Then...  Well, since the Blackberry Cobbler was new - and prominently featured on the table tent card - I went with that.  My waiter heartily agreed with my selection.  And it was quite the hearty portion too!  A nice bowl full of blackberries, topped with cobbler "crust", crushed ginger snaps and vanilla ice cream.  The crushed ginger snaps were a very nice touch, flavor-wise and texturally. A truly generous portion all around.  In fact, I had to leave a few bites in the bowl.  And I'd have to say there were at least a full cup of blackberries in the bowl if not more.  And since it was freshly baked to order, the cold ice cream was the perfect foil to the warm cobbler.

Needless to say, I was quite "stufféd" (pronounced [stoo-fayed']) after my meal.  I shall definitely being eating lite later on - if at all.

Oh, and good coffee and good service too.  Seems like whatever tweaks they did in the last round of tweaking were all for the better.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 02:35:18 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2005, 02:34:30 PM »

Who'd have thought there would be a photograph of DR Jose on a giant coathanger.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2005, 02:40:25 PM »

Who'd have thought there would be a photograph of DR Jose on a giant coathanger.

:)

Well... If all goes well, I may have a picture of me on that giant coathanger at night taken sometime in the next few months.  I have to do that BridgeClimb again.  Last time it was a sunset climb - and watching the sun set from the top of the Harbor Bridge was simply awe inspiring - and I'd love to see Sydney Harbor at lit up at night the next time.  I'll keep you posted.

-I'd opt for a sunrise climb, but that's way toooo early to be functional while tethered to a mutli-ton steel structure hundreds of feet over the Quay.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2005, 02:42:26 PM »

Right now, my nephew, John Michael, and niece, Alyssa, are over while their parents are running some errands.  John Michael is watching Toon Disney, and Alyssa is sleeping on the couch.  And she's snoring too.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2005, 02:43:14 PM »

Hope you get back here soon Jose. Fosca nd Magnus are prepared to share the bed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2005, 02:46:21 PM »

Sorry for being errant and truant lately. I have been cleaning and organizing things for my family since I have arrived home. My old room is full of things from my grandmother's apartment, so I had to clean out the office (I called it the pit of despair) and have moved myself in here for the three weeks I am home.

I also wanted to share the bit of good news I told you about several weeks (or maybe it was months) ago but couldn't say anything about yet. http://www.broadway.com/Gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=512249
It's finally public knowledge so there you go! :-D I was bouncing off the walls earlier.

Great news!  And the show is in the good hands of David Bell.  -He helmed Children of Eden and 1776 among other shows at Ford's Theatre.  Not only a very good director, but also a very nice and generous person.  Lots of heart.  *And he's also the choreographer for one of the large Gospel choirs in Harlem!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2005, 02:48:20 PM »

I don't know from thunder - it's ninety degrees here, and a bit windy.  I shall soon take a lovely swim.  I have done two pages, which felt like writing ten pages.  This is the last play I write, at least using Final Draft.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2005, 02:48:30 PM »

DR elmore - We'll definitely have to lunch and/or dinner in NYC when I get up there.  Just you and me, tête-á-tête.  Oh!  The ears that will be burning!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2005, 02:50:50 PM »

...And then DR Rodzinski will have to dine tête-á-tête.

-And then our ears will be bound to be burning in the days afterwards.

:o
Make Your Own Luck.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2005, 02:51:06 PM »

Great news!  And the show is in the good hands of David Bell.  -He helmed Children of Eden and 1776 among other shows at Ford's Theatre.  Not only a very good director, but also a very nice and generous person.  Lots of heart.  *And he's also the choreographer for one of the large Gospel choirs in Harlem!  :)

Thanks for the info Jose! I have been meaning to look up his work all morning but I keep getting distracted by my family wanting me to run errands and do chores for them. I am too nice.  ;)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2005, 02:51:36 PM »

Oh... And I guess Antonia can come along too.  She can sit a few tables over.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2005, 02:52:05 PM »

DR elmore - We'll definitely have to lunch and/or dinner in NYC when I get up there.  Just you and me, tête-á-tête.  Oh!  The ears that will be burning!

;D

Any time, darlin'!!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2005, 02:53:40 PM »

Thanks for the info Jose! I have been meaning to look up his work all morning but I keep getting distracted by my family wanting me to run errands and do chores for them. I am too nice.  ;)

David's spent a lot of his time and career in Chicago - especially at the Marriott Lincolnshire.  His biggest "international" sucess has been The Hot Mikado.  But he's also done stuff in California, at Long Beach I think.  *And his version of Chess is actually very good, and makes sense!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2005, 02:55:02 PM »

OK.. Lots of rain.  Thunder.  Lightning.  Lights flickering...

-Did I roll up my back windows on my car?  -Guess I'll find out later...

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2005, 02:58:07 PM »

DR SWW - But how can there be four books in a trilogy?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2005, 02:59:32 PM »

Well I'm off to dinner with my family. We are going to The Ordinary (a little hole in the wall restaurant) where two slices of pizza has me absolutely stuffed. If I remember right I may have mentioned it before. I can't remember if I talked about it on here or after Mamma Mia. Oh well. I'll be back later!
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2005, 02:59:48 PM »

MXC is on right now on SPIKE.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2005, 03:54:20 PM »

Joey, nice story.

Elmore, be afraid-never! ;D

It has been very muggy all day.

MBarnum I shall be watching for photos of the cats.

Ginny

« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2005, 04:02:57 PM »

Back from a most informative afternoon at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center:

www.freedomcenter.org

Several of us are now very interested in going to see the Cincinnati premier of the opera Margaret Garner later this summer.  It's based on the same story as Toni Morrison's novel Beloved.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 04:04:53 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2005, 04:24:54 PM »

I just had the funniest phone conversation with my friend, Andy.  We both just got into silly mode and were laughing and laughing and laughing.  Fun, fun, fun!  -And it looks like I may be heading up to Lancaster tomorrow with him and his sister for a dog show and some shopping in Amish country. Beef and noodles and shoo-fly pie (I prefer the "dry" version) rule!!!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2005, 04:33:05 PM »

New MADTv tonight!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2005, 04:34:34 PM »

I just saw a promo on TV for CINDERELLA MAN the movie coming out with Russell Crowe as a fighter - Jim Brannigan, I think.  AND there were at least four CGI shots!  Including one shot from above the ring with the two fighters coming to the center of the square.....a CGI shot with only TWO people!!!!  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2005, 04:34:54 PM »

DR CP is there a LOT of CGI in your HERCULES?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2005, 04:50:22 PM »

YIKES!   Third and fourth round of storms coming through.  Some powerful lightning and thunder.  So far, only one brief power outtage....

Stay tuned for more updates...

Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2005, 04:52:10 PM »

There is a lot of "TV" CGI in HERCULES...

I've been having a mini-Glenn Ford western festival.  Last night, it was THE DAY OF THE EVIL GUN...very interesting Western with Ford and the redoubtable Arthur Kennedy.   This morning it was Ford and Bill Holden in THE MAN FROM COLORADO.  This afternoon I popped 3:10 TO YUMA in the DVD player on my computer and watched it.  It also stars the ever-brilliant Van Heflin.  Great, great picture.  What I found interesting, however, is that the lyrics of the title song over the credits are very different to the Frankie Laine single, though Frankie sings the movie version as well.  Glenn Ford also whistles the song throughout.  

They are thinking of re-making this movie.  Something of a mistake, in my humble opinion.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2005, 05:01:47 PM »

I like 3:10, and another "train" western...."Last Train to Gun Hill."  Van Heflin was so good in everything....including AIRPORT....I think he and Maureen Stapleton should have gotten the Supporting Oscars that year!

DR CP did you ever see Van Heflin in COUNT THREE AND PRAY.....which was Miss Joanne Woodward's film debut?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2005, 05:02:03 PM »

Did MR BK say he was going to a BABY SHOWER?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2005, 05:11:00 PM »

TV CGI is okay - I like TV surround sound, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2005, 05:16:36 PM »

They better NOT be remaking 3:10 to Yuma.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2005, 05:17:28 PM »

Yes, tomorrow - a baby shower for my pal Barbara Deutsch's pal Alison.  Should be interesting.  I still have yet to get a gift - I don't even know where to begin looking.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up