Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME  (Read 13506 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME
« on: May 13, 2005, 11:58:52 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were smilin' at you, you were smilin' at the notes and so were the blue skies, and now it is time for you to post until the smilin' cows come home - they're currently grazing in a meadow thinking "Nothin' but blue skies to I see.  Moo."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 12:02:49 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BLUE SKIES SMILIN' AT ME
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 12:00:01 AM »

And the word of the day is: OBFUSCATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 12:16:42 AM »

OBFUSCATE, baby, OBFUSCATE!

And now - Dino at the piano.

I am quite awake.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 12:26:04 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I got up to get a drink of water, and now I'm wide awake too!   Hmmm...

:-\

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 12:26:44 AM »

What's that phrase you see on those placards that sit on office desks... Oh...

ESCHEW OBFUSCATION

-Is that it?
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 12:30:15 AM »

I have not read much in the way of Science fiction. Wyndam and Arthur C Clarke  and H G Wells.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 12:42:30 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

La Jolie Femme

• I can't read your mind, but you don't know that.
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 12:34:55 AM »

Hello, All!  'Tis I, La Jolie Femme, posting late at night so der Kimster will know that we in Pogueville are ever alert and vigilant. It's been a lovely day, though, in fact, I have been left sans gateau, sans chocolat, sans tous les choses a manger. (Sniff!)

Again, thanks for all the lovely good wishes for my day.
Kimlets RULE!!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 12:35:46 AM »

As for Science Fiction books... It's been a while since I've ready any, but here goes...

Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle In Time" trilogy.  I bought some nice hardcover editions of them a few years ago - even though I still have and treasure my original Dell paperbacks - so that I could reread them.  I still have yet to reread them.

When I was in 8th grade, we read an Arthur C. Clarke book.  -Something where the kids were living below ground.   I can see the book cover in my head - I actually came across it while packing - but I can't recall the title right now.  There was also another Clarke or two on my high school reading lists.  And various Ray Bradbury stories.

Would "Flowers for Algernon" be considered science fiction?

And one book which I never read, but loved the title of - and there's also a play of it: "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds".  Is that correct?  *Please correct me - if I start Googling and Amazon-ing, I'll never get to bed.  Is it even science fiction?

Now one book which I tried and tried to get through was the "first" (or fourth episode) Star Wars book.  I don't know how many times I read that first chapter before giving up.  The text just seemed so dry compared to the movie.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2005, 12:37:20 AM »

We shall rectify the cake situation this very evening, oh, yes, we shall rectify the cake situation.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2005, 12:39:15 AM »

Hello, All!  'Tis I, La Jolie Femme, posting late at night so der Kimster will know that we in Pogueville are ever alert and vigilant. It's been a lovely day, though, in fact, I have been left sans gateau, sans chocolat, sans tous les choses a manger. (Sniff!)

Again, thanks for all the lovely good wishes for my day.
Kimlets RULE!!!

Well, since I brought my "baking box" back with me from Richmond this morning - my good pans, measuring cups, measuring spoons, etc.... And I still have an unopened box of Valhrona cocoa, as well as two pounds of Ghirardelli Bittersweet... Hmmm...

How warm is it in Los Feliz now?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2005, 12:40:55 AM »

I really don't read that much Science Fiction, believe it or not.  I much prefer fantasy.  And I pretty much loathe sciencey Science-Fiction.  And hardware, high-tech science fiction.  Space ships and ray guns and that stuff.

I liked Edgar Rice Burroughs Martian Tales of John Carter as a boy, as well as the more hunourous Carson of Venus and the Inner Earth Stories of Pellucidar.  Though Burroughs often makes for tough sledding these days.  I think I may have liked his Moon Maid series best of his science fiction tales.  Though I expect there are those who would qualify TARZAN as science fiction...in which case that would be my choice too...Still his best character ever.  Mythic.

Much as I love Fredric Brown, I've never really read much of his Science Fiction...though I have most of it.  But I love his mysteries more.

A. Merritt is another one of those hybrid fantasy/science fiction writers...and writes beautiful, lush prose.  I'm very fond of his FACE IN THE ABYSS which would qualify as science fiction.

I'm also fond of A. Conan Doyle's Professor Challenger, especially THE LOST WORLD.

And, of course, there are the many tales of pal Harlan Ellison (who hates being referred as a Science Fiction writer and especially hates the term Sci-Fi), a particular favourite is "Jefty is Five", which is probably more fantasy than science fiction.

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2005, 12:44:01 AM »

Despite my not reading much Sci Fi, one of my favourite movies is 2001 and I like both versions of "Solaris". Star Wars I can do without.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 12:44:15 AM »

Actually, Lovely Wife, didn't you have one of your bourbon balls left over from Derby tonight?  And you did have a bit or two of the leftover Derby pie that I polished off tonight. Both had chocolate in them.  Do not deny it.  But, nope, no cake.

La Jolie Femme

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2005, 12:45:27 AM »

Oh, and one last thing:

Heinlein and Arthur C. Clark and Harlan Ellison and Ray Bradbury and Isaac Asimov....everything they've evr written!

But the BEST story in speculative fiction is, of course, "Jefty is Five" by Harlan Ellison...the best novella, "A Boy and His Dog" by Harlan Ellison, and the best Anthologies "Dangerous Visions" and "Again, Dangerous Visions" edited by Harlan Ellison.

(Anyone see a pattern, here?)

Ellison's the sharpest literary mind in the business, and a demon incarnate...and my friend.

Isn't "the Obfuscation" a dance like the "Locomotion", only really mixed up?...Just checkin'.

Blusk eyes, smilin' at me,
Nothin' but Blusk eyes, do I see!

Who the$#$% is this Blusk fella?

Love and fish to all!

LJF

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2005, 12:46:28 AM »

Ah, well.. I Googled...

Arthur C. Clarke - "Childhood's End"

Paul Zindel - "The Effect of Gamma Rays On Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds" -And it is just a play.  *I loved Zindel's "Pigman" series.
Make Your Own Luck.

La Jolie Femme

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2005, 12:49:00 AM »

Yes, dear Hubby, I had one of my bourbon balls, but it doesn't count because I MADE it and it wasn't PRESENTED to me as a gift! So there!

And I see you got to Ellison before I did.

Isn't that JUST LIKE you?

(But have you read as many of his books as I? NO, and no, again! HAH!

LJF

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2005, 12:50:24 AM »

I've read some Isaac Asimov and Fredric Brown stories and loved them all...just don't ask me to name specific titles. :-\
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 12:51:02 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2005, 12:51:51 AM »

And it's been quite a while since I've read any science fiction or fantasy stories.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 12:54:34 AM »

Dear reader Hisaka has written two five-star reviews - one for Benjamin Kritzer and one for Kritzerland.  They're on amazon Japan.  Can anyone throw them into a translator like we did for that Russian review?

George

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2005, 12:55:49 AM »

Dear reader Hisaka has written two five-star reviews - one for Benjamin Kritzer and one for Kritzerland.  They're on amazon Japan.  Can anyone throw them into a translator like we did for that Russian review?

I can try...hang on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2005, 12:55:59 AM »

I tried slogging through Kim Stanley Robinson's trilogy of Mars books, but I found it completely impossible.

I did and do like Frederic Pohl's marvelous Gateway.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2005, 12:56:30 AM »

I'm hangin' on, like Sloopy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2005, 12:56:57 AM »

I feel there is cake in dear reader La Jolie Femme's future.

George

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2005, 12:59:29 AM »

Here's something...I hope it makes sense!  This is for "Benjamin Kritzer."

The customer review male be completed degree: Your review is recorded before the sight. Being to be pleasant in any case, it does! 2005/05/10 [ Japanese characters ] Evelynrose (you look at profile) the versatile face the first book BRUCE KIMMEL such as the Tokyo Japan musical producer and CD producer it has. The semi- autobiography heart warming nonfiction which is put together in the American popular cultural full load of 50 age latter halves. It is drawn through every day of sensitive boy [ Japanese characters ] of 9 years old it is old, it comes well, America. Certainly you (the lady) we would like to return to that time, that the expectation which is thought. To that time where everything is cute. To that time where everything has shone. Those where heart of curiosity excellent [ Japanese characters ] is grasped are not just the girl. At that time, he who is entered and left the cinema frequently can brighten the pupil in the enormous screen which new appears one after another. Utilizing privilege of the child to full, those where it watches over [ Japanese characters ] which learns life are not just the parents and the grandparents. Hit tune of 50 age which flows from the radio, heals the pain of that heart. As for selfish [ Japanese characters ] whose self insistence is strong, check of [ Japanese characters ] dyeing TV drama every week is not missed even in Japan. With style of humor fully kind touch, the writer with nostalgia proved the universalness of the American popular culture, in this book.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 01:02:04 AM by George »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2005, 01:03:08 AM »

Lovely review.  I'll ask Hisaka to do her own translation, I think.  

George

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2005, 01:04:46 AM »

This is for "Kritzerland":

The customer review male be completed degree: Your review is recorded before the sight. Being pleasant. Being pleasant. 2005/05/11 [ Japanese characters ]: If evelynrose (you look at profile) the reader of the Tokyo Japan "BENJAMIN KRITZER", without reading, the continuation which does not enter. BENJAMIN of the Dean ager continues evolution promptly. It is wiser, compared to stubbornly, from makes taste be prominent, and from it reaches the point where the American popular culture is revered. And he draws the utopia. Again, the writer showed humor with nostalgia proving the universalness of the American popular culture, with style of kind touch. And our Japanese, have the relation which is close with which rank American popular culture.

George

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2005, 01:05:26 AM »

Lovely review.  I'll ask Hisaka to do her own translation, I think.

Wise choice.  These were courtesy of http://babelfish.altavista.com/

George

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2005, 01:07:33 AM »

Just to let you know (if you didn't figure it out), I added "[ Japanese characters ]" notes...when I first pasted the reviews in the reply box, the Japanese characters actually were showing, but when I posted it, it turned into:

「BENJAMIN KRITZER
」の読
者なら、
読まず
にはいら
れない
続編。
まもな
くティ
ーンエー
ジャーの
BENJAMIN
は進化を
続ける。
より賢く、
より頑固
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 01:09:45 AM by George »

George

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2005, 01:28:06 AM »

Well, I'm off to bed!

George

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2005, 01:28:24 AM »

And I can't leave without first saying...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up