Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RELAXED NOTES  (Read 12908 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE RELAXED NOTES
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2004, 01:24:23 PM »

Spent this afternoon catching up with all the stuff I've recorded this week thus far: FATHER OF THE PRIDE, SCRUBS, RENO 911!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2004, 01:27:04 PM »

I wanted to mention another silent comedy which I really like: SHOW PEOPLE with Marion Davies and the wonderful William Haines. Those who have never seen it should keep an eye out for TCM's next broadcast. It's lots of fun.

Does TCM still do Silent Sunday Night?

They were still doing it last month, even with the Month of Stars theme they had running.  I don't know about this month, though.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

François de Paris

« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2004, 01:46:35 PM »

BK,

Your typo made me smile!

The "The Cardinal" dvd is released by MK2 Editions, not M2K...

MK2 also has movie theaters in Paris which are also showing the Keaton film!

http://www.mk2-catalogue.com/

http://fr.movies.yahoo.com/agenda/cinparissean111056012.html
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 01:51:19 PM by François de Paris »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2004, 02:27:05 PM »

My favorite silent movie is Chaplin's The Gold Rush.

Has anyone here seen Nanook of the North? (I haven't.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2004, 02:40:41 PM »

Now we're cookin' with gas.  This may just be the fastest site on all the Internet.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2004, 02:41:45 PM »

Favourite silents:  Don Juan & Beloved Rogue, both with John Barrymore.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2004, 03:01:57 PM »

OH...

DR Joey et al et frank et vince...  Robert (Bob) McDonald is Midori's accompanist.  Although there's something interesting about having a single-named accompanist accompanying a single-named violinist.  ;)

I heard through the grapevine today that last night's concert was amazing and Midori and Robert MacDonald said this hall is in the top 3 of the best halls that they have ever performed in.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2004, 03:06:46 PM »

Question for all regarding DR Joey's new theatre:  is there a proper way of "christening" a new venue?  I don't recall ever hearing about such a practice, but ya would think that there would be some kind of time-honored ritual.

In any case, congrats and good luck with the new hall, Joey!

Well the Midori and Robert MacDonald concert was supposed to be the christening, but with our sneaking in there yesterday afternoon to sing a song (we really didn't sneak in. They let us come in there to sing.) Anyway we "christened" it ourselves yesterday afternoon. The grand opening ceremonies are this Saturday. I would love to be here for them but I will be off on a church retreat. So I am not exactly sure how all these events fit together in the progression of christening and the hall being opened, but I think it has been officially christened.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 03:09:09 PM by Joey »
There is no music without silence, only noise...

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2004, 03:12:05 PM »

I don't believe I've seen a silent movie, except maybe some clips.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2004, 03:14:15 PM »

Did they star Gregory Peck?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2004, 03:57:30 PM »

I'm heading out soon to see Ann Hampton Callaway at The Top Of The Senator.

Review to follow.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 08:58:50 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2004, 03:57:32 PM »

My favorite silent movie is King John. It's three minutes of a guy dying in a chair while people stand around and watch him.

I had another adventure today on The Fifth Floor. I'll post about it after Arthur is over.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2004, 04:14:29 PM »

Sandra do you take an elevator to the 5th floor or a secret passageway?  

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2004, 04:33:09 PM »

***BETTER BACK VIBES, JANE!****

Danise

« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2004, 04:37:18 PM »

Evening all.  Sorry to be E & T, I was a bit under the weather but am on the mend now.  

Nice pictures of the new theater, Joey!  Who knows what future stars will grace it’s stage?

I have a photo to share that was passed around work today.  I was told it was taken after hurricane Ivan passed through.   Neat, huh?

My story of the day.  When I made it to my desk yesterday, I found one of my little dragon statues with a note attached, “Stop Dragon your heart around.”  I was in no mood for games and asked a couple of people who had put that on my desk.  The next thing I knew several people said I had a “Secret Admirer” and were getting quite a charge out of it.  

Well, it only lasted about ten minutes because a friend came over and asked if the T-shirt design contest for the Heart Walk was over because she had an idea for a shirt.  Yes, you guessed it.  

Sigh. My luck.  I had a full blown romance on my hands and I was hurting to bad to enjoy it while it lasted.  

I don’t think I have ever sat through a whole silent movie either.  I have seen clips of NOSFERATU and I agree it was very well done.

Jane, Get your back back vibes!   ;D
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 04:37:45 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2004, 04:42:39 PM »

Is it just here in SF Bay Area, or has fall began everywhere?  I just LOVE fall, it's very nice to have it here at last.  Tonight is preview for a production of "Cabaret" that I'm playing keyboards for.  It's not bad as "Cabaret's" go, sticking mostly to the material in the 1987 revival rather than the darkness of the 1998 revival.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2004, 04:58:34 PM »

Whew!  It's getting better.  I had problems this morning here as well....but it seems okay now.

Feel Better DRJANE.

DRDANISE great photo!  And great photos of the Hall DRJOEY.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2004, 04:59:58 PM »

Fall is here and it's great!  The leaves are just beginning to change colors.

GOOD VIBES for the closing weekend of the First Run of WHAT IF!

I guess I will be counting on DRJAY to make the trek over to North Orange Grove Av.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2004, 05:01:02 PM »

For some reason I'm incredibly sleepy. At 5 in the afternoon. Bizarre.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2004, 05:22:16 PM »

There is one elevator in the English building that will take you to The Fifth Floor no matter what button you press. And then once you get up there, it's like you're in another dimension. I think the whole thing sounds like a really cheesy movie.

I found my way up there today because I needed to get a paper signed by the department chair. When I got to his office, the lady at the desk told me that the department chair wasn't in today. But then she said, "Give it to me and I'll go have him sign it." So I gave her the paper and she went through a door, and when she came back, the department chair had signed my paper. It's like Bizarro World where everything is the opposite.

Then I had to go turn the paper in to some other office on the first floor of the Social Sciences building. I didn't really know where I was going, so I wasn't sure if I was in the right place when I got there. So I asked the lady at the desk in this office if I was in the right place to turn in my paper. She asked me, "Is it a dog?" (Apparently in the Social Sciences building, it's The First Floor that's like Bizarro World.)

I finally realized that she was asking if my paper was supposed to be turned in to the Department of Graduation (D.O.G.) because that was where I was. I hope that was the right place because I gave it to her and left.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2004, 05:27:11 PM »

I'm on my way to the theater - I understand we have a teeny house tonight because of, you guessed it, Yom Kippur.  No more doing shows on Jewish holidays.  Tomorrow and Saturday look like they'll be full.  Even though it's late, if any of our LA denizens are reading this and would like to see the show tonight gratis, just tell the box-office person that Bruce sent you.

Keep the home fries burning until my returning, when I'll be yearning to post up a frenzy.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2004, 05:37:33 PM »

Panni and Danise thank you for the good vibes.  I sure hope they work.

Danise-cool pic & cute story.  

Matthew fall is beginning in Ashland but it seems very early for the bay area.

JRand, thank you as well.

Sandra-LOL.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2004, 05:43:39 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~ Even More Healthy Vibes for D.R. Jane!! ~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2004, 05:44:15 PM »

Wonderful pictures, everybody!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2004, 06:00:53 PM »

As for silent movies...I know I've seen a few, but not many.  Last month, however, I bought a set of four remastered DVDs that included "How Green Was My Valley," "Gentleman's Agreement," "All About Eve" and "Sunrise."  I got the set because "Sunrise" (only available in the set) had a new score composed by former Olympia, Washington resident Tim Brock and played by the Olympia Chamber Orchestra!  I knew him!  I have the CD of his score for "Sunrise", as well as his score for "Berlin-Symphony Of A Great City," another silent movie (although, I don't own that on video or DVD).  When he lived here in Olympia and had composed the scores for these movies, they showed "Sunrise" with a world premiere performance of the score played live by the Olympia Chamber Orchestra conducted by Tim!  They also showed "Berlin" and played the score live, as well...unless it was the world premiere of the "Berlin" score and they showed "Sunrise," also. ::) Either way, it was quite a wonderful evening, as were the movies.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2004, 06:13:19 PM »

I'm on my way to the theater - I understand we have a teeny house tonight because of, you guessed it, Yom Kippur.  No more doing shows on Jewish holidays.  Tomorrow and Saturday look like they'll be full.  Even though it's late, if any of our LA denizens are reading this and would like to see the show tonight gratis, just tell the box-office person that Bruce sent you.

Keep the home fries burning until my returning, when I'll be yearning to post up a frenzy.

Actually, Yom Kippur begins tomorrow evening, and runs past sundown on Saturday.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2004, 06:25:20 PM »

Thank you George.

Jay, I’m so relieved.  I thought I had been overly distracted and missed a day.
 ;D

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2004, 06:38:17 PM »

I'm hoping to snag a ticket for tomorrow night's New York premiere of The Big Voice: God, or Merman based on that anticipated low-audience turn-out due to the holiday.  That's if the college students don't wear me out.  Fridays are very exhausting.  Saturday, I finally get to meet the cast for the new Second City show.  Hope to find an inspiring bunch of good improvisers and writers.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2004, 07:09:11 PM »

I'm on my way to the theater - I understand we have a teeny house tonight because of, you guessed it, Yom Kippur.  No more doing shows on Jewish holidays.  Tomorrow and Saturday look like they'll be full.  

I guess I wasn't the only one thinking, hmmmm?  (since Yom Kippur is Friday night to Saturday night).

But how interesting that those two nights are full.

Jennifer

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2004, 07:11:36 PM »

Tonight's Apprentice ending was interesting.  More on that tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up