Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN IN ROME  (Read 29954 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:WHEN IN ROME
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2006, 05:02:30 PM »

The last time I went camping was the first summer Der B and I were together.  At the time, he was a member of the Lobocs, a gay motorcycle club.  (Think "bears," before there really were any bears.)  I joined him on a couple of their "runs," camping excursions that included motorcycle games and a special drag show the final night.

Oh, and lots of drinking.

After that summer, der B basically dropped out of that social circle.  His liver thanked him.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2006, 05:16:12 PM »

Well it doesn't look like any of the west coast HHWers are planning a theater get together. Too bad. Love to see some of you. I will have to book a ticket this weekend and hope over to the coast for a weekend.
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2006, 05:27:59 PM »

Here is Miss Tammy Minoff along with Mr. Matthew Ashford.

BK, If I fly down to LA to see the show, do you think you could convince Mr. Ashford to make his first entrance in that towel?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2006, 06:00:29 PM »

Topic of the Day:

Roughing it???

............... Flying coach!
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #214 on: January 05, 2006, 06:19:21 PM »

When I was growing up, we went camping, but it was tent camping and always close to bathrooms.  The worst part was the sleeping in sleeping bags on the ground with no air matress or anything else underneath to have a soft bed. :P It's been a long time since we went camping at all...well, me.  My parents now have an RV and now "roughing it" is when they don't have an electrical hook up. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #215 on: January 05, 2006, 06:27:51 PM »

Many years ago, my DH did not believe in getting motel rooms. He believed in driving until the wee hours and then pulling into a rest stop or other vacated space and sleeping in the car.

Once, we camped under a tree at a rest stop. In the morning we discovered it was "the bushes" everyone used.

Once we were on the way to visit his parents. Our one-year-old baby was screaming in the backseat, I had morning sickness, and we pulled over and tried to sleep parked outside a Circle K. In the morning, he went in and got breakfast: Twinkies and chocolate milk. I was violently ill.

I told him that thereafter if we could not afford a Motel 6, then we could not afford to visit his parents.

He bought a series of mini-motorhomes, in which we traveled the country. Lots of work for Mom, but better than camping in the toilet.

Now we stay at Motel 6, which is fine with me.  I don't have to cook, wash dishes, roll out sleeping bags, wash clothes in a dishpan, etc., so it's an improvement!

And that is my roughing it post.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #216 on: January 05, 2006, 06:39:01 PM »

The last time I went camping was probably 15 years ago.  I knew then that as wonderful as it could be (and I am serious), sleeping out in the woods or walking near a stream, my body just would not allow me to do it any longer.  Since that time, I have had the first of my hip replacements, two back surgeries, and a neck fusion.  I really did enjoy camping (watch it, TCB) when I was younger, but there is no way I can even sleep on a carpeted floor any longer, without lots of pillows to soften the surface.

So elmore, I guess your fire escape is out for my visit.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #217 on: January 05, 2006, 06:40:49 PM »

From Cillaliz:

Did you read A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANEY?  SIMON BIRCH was "inspired" by it (or something like that) it's the whole story and much better than the movie

No and I had heard the movie wasn’t as good as the book it was based on.  What did John Irving think of the movie?

TPunk I liked SIMON BIRCH, just not as much as THE MIGHTY.

From Rodzinsky:
I did not read continuously through the year, mind you. The book is like 600 pages, and has many rewards. For TPunk's birthday in a couple weeks, I will complete this line of gifting by giving her a 5-page book report on the book.

;D

Jane

« Reply #218 on: January 05, 2006, 06:54:35 PM »

I suppose we'll have to have dear reader Jane or dear reader Laura to hear about roughing it.

In my heart I love camping, my body however likes a nice warm bed and a private bathroom.  The nicer the hotel the better, unfortunately you can’t always choose where you stay and it is simply a matter of getting the most decent hotel possible.

In my younger years my parents sent us away to camp-that was always fun.  I have always enjoyed the few camping trips Keith and I went on, always with friends.  We haven’t gone since before Bryan was born, when friends borrowed the tent and thought it was cute to feed the little wildlife, that is until the cute wildlife ate holes in the tent during the night.  

We did rent an RV and travel with the boys, kind of semi-roughing it, those RV’s are nice.

Cillaliz

« Reply #219 on: January 05, 2006, 07:10:44 PM »

Hi - roughing it would be the canoe/overnights in a sleeping bag and no tent from the summer camp I used to go to as a kid.  The camp had cabins - you had to go to a common bathroom, but the cabins were fine. The overnights were rare, but it really was quite fun.  Once there was a tornado warning so they had to rush and get us in vans and take us back to camp.   Since then I haven't been much for roughing it.   My brother's family loves to camp. I have driven to their camp sight and eaten with them then driven back home to a warm bed.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 07:11:14 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #220 on: January 05, 2006, 07:12:38 PM »

I must admit it was great to lay in a sleeping bag on the ground and look up at the stars. Of course I was probably about 12 years old and sleeping on the ground didn't bother me at all.

Jane

« Reply #221 on: January 05, 2006, 07:16:52 PM »

Sorry Bruce, we can’t even get to LA for a funeral.  Have a great show.  Maybe we can see it in Portland.

Jane

« Reply #222 on: January 05, 2006, 07:19:38 PM »

You shouldn't have to put your coat on to go to the bathroom for crying out loud!!

;D

Jennifer

« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2006, 07:26:50 PM »

We used to go camping when we were little, but I don't remember it.

The last time I went camping was when I was about 21 or 22. My boyfriend at the time was an outdoorsy person who thought hiking was great fun.  I won't say I loved it. But it wasn't too bad.  It was a campsite that had a bathroom you could walk to.

In the morning we went hiking.  But because I have a very delicate stomach I did not eat before we went.  The hike was supposed to be 45 minutes. But it turned out to be like 3 hours and I got very sick.  I forget how we got down the mountain (it was a ski resort with a chair lift and you could drive your car up as well).  I believe some kind souls drove us down.  Not too fun. :)

Jane

« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2006, 07:31:28 PM »

DRLaura you really did rough it.

MBarnum which movie did you order from Netflix?

‘night

Cillaliz

« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2006, 07:31:43 PM »

I have gotten very used to nice hotels through the meetings I go to every year.  I like the ones with a tv in the bathroom and the separate shower and bath.  I also like the government rate!

MBarnum

« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2006, 07:38:07 PM »

MBarnum which movie did you order from Netflix?

Set to arrive in my mailbox tomorrow is the semi-Bollywood gay themed movie TOUCH OF PINK starring that hilarious guy who was in semi-Bollywood movie THE GURU....and Saturday should deliver the Japanese Toho spy film KILL OR BE KILLED which I had NO idea was even out on DVD! In fact I was rather shocked.

François de Paris

« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2006, 07:46:25 PM »

You shouldn't have to put your coat on to go to the bathroom for crying out loud!!

In a nudist camp this is NOT necessary! ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2006, 07:46:26 PM »

Whew!!!!  I just heard we have the final details worked out on the fixing of things in the new house. It was getting pretty testy and the whole deal almost blew up.  I decided to demand a faulty circuit panel be fixed and the seller didn't want to do it.  So, he's giving me the money to do it, that is a huge load off my shoulders.  

Unfortunately that means I'm not going to make it to Deceit.  I still have to fix the plumbing and put in a new furnace and air conditioner. I also had to back out of moderating a panel at a seminar in Charleston SC. (I was paying my own expenses).  

François de Paris

« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2006, 07:48:26 PM »

I have gotten very used to nice hotels through the meetings I go to every year.  I like the ones with a tv in the bathroom and the separate shower and bath.  I also like the government rate!

Hmmmm.... a TV in the bathroom?!?

Are Tv programs that trashy nowadays in the US of A?!? :D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2006, 07:52:13 PM »

Hello DR Rodzinzki.  No doubt you've read "Kess Of The D'Urbervilles".  It would explain your flighty posts.

Thanks Tomovoz. Once again, you're there for me!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2006, 07:58:00 PM »

I spent a decent portion of my day reading JMK's Frances Farmer info. That sent me into an internet researching frenzy. Ever just get sucked into some topic like that, then it becomes like quicksand, and you are flying all over the internet learning everything you can?

Well, I detoured and ended up reading about an actress named Barbara Payton who apparently, if I had been alive in the 50s and crossed her path, I could have had sex with.

Fascinating damaged characters of old Hollywood.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2006, 08:01:56 PM »

Watched Dancing With the Stars tonight. There's two hours I can't get back. But there is something kind of old fashioned about the show. People haven't been interested in dance in a major way in a long time. It's a bit too drawn out though.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #233 on: January 05, 2006, 08:06:18 PM »

Had a variable evening of enjoyment with the NBC comedies.

First up was WILL & GRACE with a Sing-Along SOUND OF MUSIC plot line. I actually laughed some during the show; there were some very clever lines and situations in homage to the film and folks' fascination with it. For those who don't know the film of THE SOUND OF MUSIC, I suspect this episode would have been baffling.

And Taye Diggs was one of the more delectable guest star almost- boy friends for Will.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2006, 08:06:22 PM »

I spent a decent portion of my day reading JMK's Frances Farmer info. That sent me into an internet researching frenzy. Ever just get sucked into some topic like that, then it becomes like quicksand

That has absolutely never happened to me.  Never.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #235 on: January 05, 2006, 08:07:39 PM »

Had a variable evening of enjoyment with the NBC comedies.
 For those who don't know the film of THE SOUND OF MUSIC, I suspect this episode would have been baffling.

Are there such people?  Oh, wait, yes there are.  They advertise on eBay--"RARE!!!! SOUND OF MUSIC SOUNDTRACK LP WITH JULIE ANDREWS!!!"   ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #236 on: January 05, 2006, 08:09:59 PM »

Rodzinski, hopefully if you were reading the FF article on the new site, you read it when the pictures were working.  I had a bit of tsuris today getting everything ported over to the new site.  Two out of the three Register.com CS reps I've dealt with so far have been absolutely incredible, but unfortunately the third guy (we'll call him Scott because that's his friggin' name  ;D), who I sadly got twice, didn't know what the f*** he was talking about and gave me wrong instructions (twice).

JMK

« Reply #237 on: January 05, 2006, 08:11:09 PM »

However I've learned a hell of a lot about file transfer protocol and HTML today.  I wasn't a complete idiot before, but I'm considerably more erudite about it now.  Or maybe I should say a-boot it now, because all of the CS reps are from Canada, eh?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #238 on: January 05, 2006, 08:11:37 PM »

I want to see the film EBB TIDE.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #239 on: January 05, 2006, 08:12:29 PM »

FOUR KINGS, the new NBC sitcom that come on after WILL & GRACE, was barrel-bottom scrapings poor, I thought. For four guys that are supposed to be lifelong friends, I didn't get any sense of chemistry between them AT ALL, and the lines for the most part just weren't funny. The four guys have some appeal apart, but it looks like it's going to be a frat boy/jock comedy of the type that usually doesn't rank high on my list of must-see shows.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up