Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN IN ROME  (Read 29483 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WHEN IN ROME
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:37:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've done as the Romans do no matter where you are, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - when in Cowlafornia do as the Cowlafornians do.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 01:34:35 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:WHEN IN ROME
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 12:38:14 AM »

And the word of the day is: SPACKLE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 12:41:06 AM »

You know, I was going to post some lovely photgraphs tonight, but given the incredible ATTACK OF THE WUSSBURGERS we've been having around here (I must say the wussified behavior is rather alarming for a once-lively group of denizens - you'd think we were running an old-age home here), I think I'll  post them when the mood strikes me.  Frankly, I don't feel like doing the work it takes to post them only to have no late-night denizens to even view them.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 12:58:53 AM »

I do not do "rough". I almost did the backpack thing in Europe in the early 70's but decided that the Youth Hostel circuit was not for me either.  I stayed  at pensions instead. I thus avoided masses of fellow travellers from North America and Australia. I liked it very much. (Sort of a Noel Coward reference).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 12:59:20 AM »

Oh, the HELL with it - why should I let the WUSSBURGERS get me down.  I'M not a WUSSBURGER.  Photographs coming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 01:00:19 AM »

Here is our very own Miss Tammy Minoff.  Note the bath towel she's holding.  She makes her entrance in that bath towel and nothing else.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 01:01:22 AM »

Here is Miss Tammy Minoff along with Mr. Matthew Ashford.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 01:02:20 AM »

Here is Tammy, Matt, and Greg Albanese, our third cast member.

Tomovoz

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 01:02:20 AM »

I shall not even spackulate on the derivation of the word spackle (or even speckle).  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 01:03:36 AM »

Here is our poster in the forecourt of the El Portal

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 01:03:57 AM »

Thank you for the pics BK. It's as close as I'll get to seeing the show.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 01:04:59 AM »

Finally, here is the marquee of the El Portal.  I loved seeing this for the first time as I drove up Lankershim - as you might imagine.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 01:05:32 AM »

SPACKLE, NEELY, SPACKLE!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 03:06:37 AM »

Good morning, all!  I've decided my inner clock is still on Daylight Savings Time:  yesterday, the alarm was set for 6:30 am and I was wide awake at 5:30, this morning I was awake st 4:30 and the alarm went off at 5:30,  It's a curse.  I had the mist bizarre dream about Karen Ziemba, and I cannot wait to call her and tell her, but it's only 6:05 am.  It involved the new SWEENEY TOOD production, and our hanging out at some dairyqueen-doughnut shop where all these pretentious poetry readers ran in and out.  It waqs like a bad French farce with not enough doors.

So, last night DR Rodzinski came over and helped me with my new DVD player.  No matter how clearly they're worded, the manuals for electronic merchandise are like esperanto to me and I'm never able to assemble the damned thing correctly.  Thanks to DR Rodzinski, my new player works excellently.  So, I took him to dinner to thank him, and it's always a good time hanging out with such an erudite raconteur.

TOD:  Forget it!

And so, to work.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 03:20:48 AM »

Good morning DR Elmore. I'm about to go off to dreamland myself. I doubt that my dreams shall be similar.
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 03:56:08 AM »

A very quick Good Morning to all!

As for the TOD--that's easy.  I go to NYC and get a hotel room.  Without a bathtub!  :D ;D

I hope everyone is feeling better today.

Laters!  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 04:50:34 AM »

I, like many others methinks, do not rough it. We did go camping with the parental units as children and one of my sisters still loves to do that and my two nieces actually seem to enjoy it also. I've grown too old to enjoy sleeping in a bag on the polyester floor of a tent. I love the countryside and being outdoors with clean air and beautiful streams. Just don't ask me to live out there for a weekend or more. Roughing it would be a two week vacation in a one room hotel room :-) That's why I rented an apartment for our Dublin (and London) trips. The Thistle Hotel in Cardiff was quite nice and we had breakfast each morning but our room at the Thistle was just that, a room with a bathroom. As much as I love my dear partner Anthony, I don't think we could have spent two weeks in one small hotel room without driving each other crazy.

On that note (B Flat) I will begin my work day. P.S. I'm all alone at 7:53am on Thursday, January 5, 2006

Ben

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2006, 04:51:06 AM »

Oops, as the note posted I see that Michael Shayne has joined as I'm about to leave.

Hi and Bye Michael.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006, 04:53:26 AM »

Is there a male version of A Jewish American Princess. I do not rough it.

As I said the other day I need my flush toliet among other things.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 04:54:04 AM »

I see Ben is still here.

Hi and Bye too
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 05:33:04 AM »

Orange Roughy is as "rough" as I get these days.

I did the backpacking thing in the 70s throughout Italy.  Of course, the backpack was a means to an end -- when you're traveling the railways, you don't want a suitcase to tote around,  so the well-chosen backpack solves that problem.  Just don't lose your balance while standing on the edge of anything.

And the backpack is the perfect display piece for patches representing all the cities/countries you visit.

Oh...when in Rome...avoid the restaurants in the touristy areas...you will usually find good eateries a couple of streets away from the main strips...with food equal to or better than what they offer...and at significantly LOWER prices.

And take some really good walking shoes.  You can walk historical Rome much more easily than you'd think...and there are plenty of cafes and gelaterias and trattorias and ristorantes everywhere to sit and rest and refresh yourself.

When in Rome, BE ITALIAN!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006, 05:37:41 AM »

Here is our very own Miss Tammy Minoff.  Note the bath towel she's holding.  She makes her entrance in that bath towel and nothing else.
I hope you've installed a space heater in her dressing room.  I'd not at all care for having to step on stage covered with a towel and goose bumps because of the chill, if I were her.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006, 05:38:27 AM »

The Roman sight you don't want to miss, but many often do, is the Bocca Della Verita.

Outside the church of S. Maria in Cosmedin is a small 18th Century porch which houses one of the most unusual sights in Rome. The Bocca Della Verita, or "Mouth of Truth" is a 4th Century manhole cover that depicts a river god. A popular legend claims that anyone who tells a lie while their hand is inside its mouth will have their hand bitten off.

It was, of course, featured famously in "Roman Holiday".
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 05:38:57 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 05:39:37 AM »

And to think, a little spackle would just RUIN the Bocca Della Verita....but it might plug any leaks.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 05:47:30 AM »

As for the TOD--that's easy.  I go to NYC and get a hotel room.  Without a bathtub!  :D ;D
But, Danise, you should be able to find a hotel room in NYC that already has a bathtub!  You shouldn't have to pack one of your own!!!

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 05:51:52 AM »

Too little time to write.  Hopefully tonight...

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 06:42:28 AM »

I am not into roughing it either. I love the outdoors, but wish to stay where there is indoor plumbing!

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 06:43:11 AM »

Wonderful photos BK! I love the poster!!

Perhaps you should bring the play to Portland!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2006, 06:46:34 AM »

Good Morning!

Lo and behold, I actually got out of bed before 9:00!  In fact I was out of bed before 8:00 - well.. just before 8:00, but the cross-trainers were on my feet shortly after that, and my workout started at 8:15.  And then an hour later... Whew!

:)

Good Morning!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2006, 06:49:11 AM »

BK - Thanks for the photos!  Please give my best to Tammy.

*And, by chance, is Mr. Albanese any relation, however distant, to opera singer Licia Albanese?
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up