Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LITTLE OLD WINEMAKER, ME  (Read 48192 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE LITTLE OLD WINEMAKER, ME
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2007, 01:38:19 PM »

Right after I got to the club, I asked a bartender (since this was the second night of performances) if he knew if there would be an opportunity for me to get autographs.  He said that he would have to ask one of the managers and get back to me.  Well, a woman (I forget her name) who actually works with TMT came and said that she might be able to take some things back to the group and they might sign them.  I said that I was staying for both shows, so there was plenty of time.  After the first show was over, she came and got my CD and DVDs and got them signed!!  Even the band signed one!  My scanner isn't working so I had to take pictures of what I got signed.  Here's the first.  It's the group's live Christmas concert DVD (it's also the most difficult to make out...I brought the silver pen :)):

That's great!

Thanks, Jane!  It was an evening I'll rememeber for a long time! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2007, 01:43:09 PM »

Did links to all the Brain reviews get posted?  I can only find a couple on the archives.

Back from the library! And a lovely time it was, too.

Then I got back here to find my printer and computer not getting along. Whatever info should be going to the printer is not going, so I declared the Deskjet 5550 officially dead and ordered a new one from HP.

Now to call DR Ginny who's left me a message on both phones.  DR vixmom called me as well.

Here are the review links I have:

http://broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=21689

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/ob/09_29_07.html

http://www.nytheatre.com/nytheatre/nymf_rev2007.php?0=S&1=195
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 01:44:53 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2007, 01:46:54 PM »

Dear Jane, I understand what you are saying, but try to understand this from another point of view.

In many ways, what DR Music Guy has used as an analogy is quite accurate - this board is much like a livingroom, where we have gathered and several conversations are going on at once.  So let's suppose that we're all together in a real living room, face to face, holding a conversation.  (Or, perhaps, we're all gathered together at a restaurant table, which given this group is quite likely.)  Let's suppose that several of us have seen a program/movie/play/read a book that you haven't seen/read, and are discussing the program/movie/play/book.  How do you handle that situation?  Do you ask everyone not to discuss what they want to?  Or could you instead shrug, admit that life is swirling around you and sometimes you just have to let it happen?  Heck, maybe you won't have heard of the program/movie/play/book, and the discussion will pique your interest.

Having to post "spoiler alert" with every phrase written about something impedes the give and take of the conversation, particularly when part of that give and take can consist of a single sentence, a snappy reply.  And it is danged intimidating.  It's like being in that room, at that table, and suddenly having to halt a conversation because "that person over there" might not like what is being said.  And while "that person over there" is probably a very nice, sweet sort of gal/guy, suddenly everyone else is having to be afraid of that person's feelings.  And that fear can create resentment.

I don't think anyone here wants that kind of resentment floating in the air.

I don't think typing "SPOILER ALERT" is that big a deal.  And I don't think it just one or two individuals that appreciates the other person's consideration.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 01:47:59 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2007, 01:51:25 PM »

GEORGE,
IIRC, there have been a couple changes to TMT members over the years. Are you a fan of TMT over its lifetime or just of certain members?

I LOVE THEM ALL!! ;) I was introduced to them in the early 1980s through my high school choir (as were so many, I would assume).  I've been a huge fan ever since.  

There has only been one member change.  The original soprano, Laurel Massé, left the group after four records and an automobile accident.  She has since gone on to record several wonderful (imho) solo recordings.  Cheryl Bentyne (her replacement) has been with the group since 1979!  She's also originally from Mt. Vernon, Washington, so she's a local girl!  And their guitar player Wayne Johnson is from Spokane, Washington!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2007, 01:52:45 PM »

Their official webpage is http://www.manhattantransfer.org/ and the best fan page (actually, the only one that I go to) is http://www.tmtfanclub.com/. :) They also have a MySpace page (I'm a friend): http://www.myspace.com/themanhattantransfer
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 01:55:02 PM by George »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2007, 01:57:05 PM »

I don't think typing "SPOILER ALERT" is that big a deal.  And I don't think it just one or two individuals that appreciates the other person's consideration.

No, perhaps not.  But I've been chastised for not posting a poiler alert when I posted nothing in the way of spoiling anything, and sometimes you plain forget do do it.

That said, I also resent the fact that the tone of you should have posted a spoiler alert is not always the most pleasant.  Also, I can see a West Coast person hoping someone on the East Coast will not post something about what will air three hours later, but when it comes to Tivo, DVR, whatever, you pays your price and you names your poison.  I bought the new HARRY POTTER the day it was released.  when will I read it? Who knows? Is there any way at this point in time I'm not aware of most of the spoilers?  For those who don't know, Harry lives!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 01:58:22 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2007, 02:05:06 PM »

Now for the good news:
    1.  I left Ginny a message; she's not receiving calls at the moment
    2.  I spoke to the copyists who are proofreading and taping the orchestra parts as I type this for tomorrow morning
    3.  vixmom, Mr Orr, Joe, and the vixter(???) are all in Manhattan now.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 02:09:24 PM by elmore3003 »

François

« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2007, 02:16:25 PM »

Here is the publicity shot for NYMF's "underwear" musical:

Wow!!! Who's the... lady??! :D 8)

François

« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2007, 02:17:45 PM »

Right after I got to the club, I asked a bartender (since this was the second night of performances) if he knew if there would be an opportunity for me to get autographs.  He said that he would have to ask one of the managers and get back to me.  Well, a woman (I forget her name) who actually works with TMT came and said that she might be able to take some things back to the group and they might sign them.  I said that I was staying for both shows, so there was plenty of time.  After the first show was over, she came and got my CD and DVDs and got them signed!!  Even the band signed one!  My scanner isn't working so I had to take pictures of what I got signed.  Here's the first.  It's the group's live Christmas concert DVD (it's also the most difficult to make out...I brought the silver pen :)):

Well, well, well!

DR George, I am envious of the autographs but even more envious of the dvds and cd!

So glad for you! :)

George

« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2007, 02:19:36 PM »

Well...speaking of spoilers, I'm now going to watch "Heroes."  I haven't had any time until now, so that's what I'm going to do.  And I have some other shows to watch, as well.  Later this afternoon, I'm ushering for the Best of the Seattle International Comedy Competition at the Washington Center, here in Olympia.  It should be very funny!  Have a good day/evening, all!! :D

François

« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »

Well...  In case you missed it, I did post some pics from last night's festivities, so, just check out the last page of yesterday's posts if you haven't already.

And since it is very late here on the East Coast, and since I have rehearsal in 10 hours and 45 minutes...

Goodnight.

Lovely, lovely pictures, DR Jose!!

Hmmm...; I have to say that I am envious (again!!) of.... Julianna! I wish I was given that rose by that curly blond hair fellow! Just my style! :o :D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 02:25:06 PM by François »

François

« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2007, 02:20:18 PM »

Deeply enjoyed reading all the nice reviews!

___ Still envious me!

George

« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2007, 02:21:37 PM »

Well, well, well!

DR George, I am envious of the autographs but even more envious of the dvds and cd!

So glad for you! :)

Thanks!  The Christmas DVD isn't widely available, but it's out there.

Laters...as Jose likes to say. ;)

François

« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2007, 02:22:53 PM »

If DR Jason does NOT continue his "hat series," I, for one, will be very disappointed!

When he's touring in A Christmas Carol, we can get a different hat in each town on the tour - a sort of millinery travelogue!

Hats to you!

-- Not really envious of that "D'oh!" hat though! ;)

td

• td
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2007, 02:23:58 PM »

Do you actually have a Roomba?

The Roomba is fantastic!   I'll recommend it heartily.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

François

« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2007, 02:25:56 PM »

The Roomba is fantastic!   I'll recommend it heartily.

I only have a Tango! :P

François

« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2007, 02:29:29 PM »

TOD:

Let Hertz put you in the driver's seat!!

Only her hairdresser knows for sure.

AND:

I dreamed I [so many different things] in my Maidenform bra.

I dreamed I saw The BRA From Planet X in my Maidenform Brain!! ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2007, 02:50:21 PM »

You could watch old Charlie Chan movies and post spoilers ;)

der Brucer

Drat the luck!  I have no Charlie Chan movies.

I do, however, have the first three seasons of "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show".  I could post about the Fractured Fairy Tales and give away the twists.

;)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2007, 02:57:08 PM »

Back from a lovely afternoon showing of The Last Starfighter, a brief visit with FJL and Skip, and then lunch with a whole mess o' hainsies/kimlets.

Someone on talkin broadway made a nice post about some of the NYMF shows they've seen, and then said Brain was their favorite.  Guess who showed up to post directly after?  Yes - westcoastdrama - who unctiously said "That's great to hear - too bad the NY Times said it was tripped up by a too-long second act after a brisk first act."  I mean, how pathetic is this twerp?  How bitter?  He finds the one line that's a criticism (and it's not the worst we've had and is rather mild, and it happened to be a criticism of EVERY  show she reviewed except for one).  His agenda is so bloody obvious.  I also met talkin broadway's critic, Matthew Murray, today at TLS.  Very nice fellow, and I thanked him for his nice review.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2007, 02:58:28 PM »

Perhaps elmore will go over and ream westcoastdrama and mention his bitterness and sarcasm and how it just makes his agenda so blatant.  If he'd just said "That's great to hear" that would have been fine.  To call out that one line as if to somehow rain on the parade of the person posting is disgusting.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2007, 02:59:55 PM »

Conversely, dear TCB, one person's "general comment" is another person's "spoiler" and sometimes it just isn't possible to resolve the difference of opinion.

For me, I've found it easier to accept that some folks post information I don't want to read, and I've gotten accustomed to skipping past that person's post the minute I see the name of a show or movie I want to watch but haven't seen yet.

One thing I've learned in my 59 years:  It is seldom possible that someone is going to change just because I want him to.  If I cannot convince him that he is wrong, then perhaps it is I who should change...or accept him as he is.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »

Perhaps elmore will go over and ream westcoastdrama and mention his bitterness and sarcasm and how it just makes his agenda so blatant.  If he'd just said "That's great to hear" that would have been fine.  To call out that one line as if to somehow rain on the parade of the person posting is disgusting.

I saw that when I came in and I laughed at what your reaction might possibly be!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2007, 03:02:15 PM »

Poor westcoastdrama! I'm sure he's all tired out from his trip west to catch something. I hope it was a case of the crabs.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2007, 03:05:21 PM »

Poor westcoastdrama! I'm sure he's all tired out from his trip west to catch something. I hope it was a case of the crabs.

I hope it was incurable.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2007, 03:05:49 PM »

Not deadly, just permanently an irritant.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2007, 03:06:49 PM »

I'm awaiting elmore's pithy response to him - elmore knows how to put these sorts in their place.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2007, 03:07:50 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from Mary Poppins rehearsal.  Review, review, review.

*And I had a nice talk with the "kiddie wrangler' today too about the music director/conductor for Poppins.  She said that everyone seems to get nervous when he starts conducting, leading the rehearsal.  It was quite comforting to hear that I'm not the only one.

Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

François

« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2007, 03:09:36 PM »

Back from my haircut, feeling a tad lighter.

Your wallet (Credit card account?) does too! ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2007, 03:09:41 PM »

I did speak briefly with DRs Cillaliz and vixmom after my rehearsal - they were just finishing up at West Side Cottage.  Hopefully, I'll be able to see them and the rest of the gang tomorrow.

For now, I'm just enjoying some downtime at home.  I think I may even take a cat-nap before heading out again later to meet up at the Brooklyn Diner (again).  *Although, I think The Enabler may suggest another place tonight.  We shall see.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2007, 03:10:44 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from Mary Poppins rehearsal.  Review, review, review.

*And I had a nice talk with the "kiddie wrangler' today too about the music director/conductor for Poppins.  She said that everyone seems to get nervous when he starts conducting, leading the rehearsal.  It was quite comforting to hear that I'm not the only one.

Whew!

Of one thing I'm certain:  You'll be swell.  You'll be great.  Youre Gonna have that MD on a plate!  Startin' here! Startin' now!  Jose, everything's comin' up roses!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 17   Go Up