Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MAD TYPER  (Read 41244 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE MAD TYPER
« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2005, 05:24:05 PM »

Brock lived a nice full life, didn't he?  I met him several times, and worked with him briefly when we had to rerecord his vocal on one of those STAGE benefit recordings I did.    Very sweet man - humble and affable.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #241 on: August 23, 2005, 05:34:13 PM »

Yes, George, but think of all those handy men you could hire!

Still, JMK, go for House #1.

Oooo!  I didn't think about that! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #242 on: August 23, 2005, 05:42:21 PM »

without us having to do any fixing up ourselves here (not that our house needs a lot of fixing, but still, when someone is offering you a rather large stack of cash is saying "Everything's fine the way it is," it's rather hard to say no).

Of course he doesn't want you to fix up your house. He's going to tear it down.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Danise

« Reply #243 on: August 23, 2005, 05:48:32 PM »

I understand the offer is tempting but if the house you have serves you and you have no great hate for it and if it is PAID for, I would think twice about putting myself into major debt for a big house that you really don't need.  

But if that is what you want...then I say,  Go for it!  :)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #244 on: August 23, 2005, 05:55:59 PM »

Of course he doesn't want you to fix up your house. He's going to tear it down.

No actually he isn't.  He will build new houses behind our house on the land that comes with our house.  He is also not tearing down the historical farmhouse next to us, he's "only" putting new houses behind that one, too.  He's actually a very nice man, for a (group hissssss) developer.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #245 on: August 23, 2005, 05:56:43 PM »

Happy Birthday TCB!  I'm sorry that you have had to modify your plans, but enjoy your soak in the tub!

td

• td
« Reply #246 on: August 23, 2005, 05:56:43 PM »

Oh, my poor Dear Reader TCB!  How awful to have to spend your natal day lounging in bed with only the comfort of two pussies and some vicodin. . . .if my arms were longer, they'd reach out and hug you.  
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #247 on: August 23, 2005, 05:59:09 PM »

OK, housing dilemma time, would appreciate thoughts/feedback.  We will probably know tomorrow if the developer is going to make us an offer we can't refuse.  We have seen literally scores of houses and are down to two we are thinking seriously of:

House #1.  Insanely expensive and with really high property taxes.  We would probably be financing around 300K and paying 11K in property taxes.  Huge, beautiful house (way, way huge--almost 6000 sf) in lovely neighborhood with a community pool.  Same school district.  Nice but not overwhelming view.  Did I mention it's HUUUUUUGGGGEEE?  (And there's already a nice Story & Clark spinet in the basement that they'd probably leave since the rest of the house is empty, LOL).

House #2.  A dump with a view, as I called it.  Absolutely stunning view.  House is quite small and reeks of cigarette smoke.  Everything from the carpet to the kitchen to the bathrooms needs to be redone plus we would probably end up putting an addition on to it to make it roomier.  However, we could buy it outright and end up probably financing at least 200K in remodelling.  Property taxes around 7K.  Less desirable neighborhood, different school district, but close enough to drive kids to current schools.  Plus we'd have to live through yet another remodelling project, this one pretty darn major.

WWHHWD?  (What would HHW-ers do?).

From the way that you have written this, it sounds like house #1 is what you really want.  Take the plunge!

Danise

« Reply #248 on: August 23, 2005, 06:06:54 PM »

Bed time for me.  

Again, I'm very sorry that you aren't having a better Birthday, Dear TCB.  I hope you have some wonderful dreams to make up for it.

Have a good evening all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2005, 06:15:01 PM »

And the word of the day is: PORTENTOUS!
Portentous, all alone
Evening after evening by the telephone
Talk show hosts responding only p*ss and moan
Portentious
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #250 on: August 23, 2005, 06:45:42 PM »

House #1, although I wish the farmland wasn't being subdivided at all, but what can I do? Go with the house that is less worry and hassle. Enjoy!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #251 on: August 23, 2005, 06:48:05 PM »

Did someone mention the death of Robert Moog?

Although someone could dispute this, Mickey Dolenz claims the first recorded Moog on any LP was on the Monkees' "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn and Jones, Ltd."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #252 on: August 23, 2005, 07:01:18 PM »

Here is an interesting Hot Rock story.  When the film opened here in LA it was a complete disaster.  No one went.  Played in Westwood to empty houses.  Fox decided to try something interesting - they had "free" performances - you could literally go in to any showing and see it for free for several days.  No one went, not even for free.
I lost track of how many times I saw Hot Rock.  It was paired with Richard Lester's Three Musketeers when the latter was playing first-run in Fresno, while I was in college, and I took several of my classmates to see said latter.  So, we watched HR in order to watch 3M again.

No accounting for taste, eh?   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #253 on: August 23, 2005, 07:05:10 PM »

BK, did you pick up the DVD of ADAM-12 season 1? I am watching the very first episode...it is great! I just love this show so much!!

Bruce, you would appreciate the location shooting...just now Reed and Malloy had a car chase down Moorpark, past Langle (?), Bellingham, and Laurel Canyon (the show a lot of street signs!).

MBarnum

« Reply #254 on: August 23, 2005, 07:09:13 PM »

Ok, so the 5th is the big day...the tour and the evening get together...that helps me plan my weeks activities.

Jennifer

« Reply #255 on: August 23, 2005, 07:10:49 PM »

DR TCB. so sorry you are not feeling well. Feel better.

JMK

« Reply #256 on: August 23, 2005, 07:13:53 PM »

The farmland is not our property, Rodzinski--it's the former neighbors.  We have a fairly large lot, but it's not the acreage next door.

I had a mini Moog when I was about 16.  It was a Radio Shack build it yourself model with patch cords.  I played it in my first band, which also included an electric violin.  We were quite avant garde for SLC in those days, but we actually got a lot of gigs.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #257 on: August 23, 2005, 07:16:03 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TCB!!

HOPE YOU HAD A VERY SPECIAL DAY!

Jane

« Reply #258 on: August 23, 2005, 07:17:19 PM »

TCB I should have read the posts first.  I'm sorry you aren't well.  I know how dissapointing it is not to feel well on your birthday.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #259 on: August 23, 2005, 07:21:19 PM »

DR JMK:  6000 s.f. is A LOT OF HOUSE!

If it were me (and it isn't, of course), I think I'd go with the house with the stunning view.  You say you can buy it outright.  As you said, your "add-on" renovations costs will be less than if you have to finance to buy house number 1.

My reasoning is that you can renovate to your exact needs/desires.  You can play with the layout.  You can add luxury items to the bath and kitchen.  

As tempting as the large house is, your home is something you ought to personalize to some degree.  Match it to your needs.  

As for the neighborhood -- you get a STUNNING VIEW with the second house -- and, well -- less-desirable neighborhoods get "new" neighbors who fix up houses and make the neighborhoods MORE desirable...and so on and so forth...and the next thing you know, your STUNNING view in your renovated house is worth three times what you paid for it w/improvements.

But that's just my 2 cents.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 07:24:15 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #260 on: August 23, 2005, 07:32:49 PM »

JMK we once purchased a house simply for it's stunning view, the plan was to renovate, which we did.  Now think "THE MONEY PIT", not MR BLANDINGS BUILDS HIS DREAM HOUSE because we weren't that funny or classy. ;D

I should also warn against over extending yourselves which you could do with either house.

If you make an offer on home #2 be sure to include inspections by contractors to determine the costs of renovating, landcscaping (anything else you can think of) then double the estimates.

This is reminding me of the "fun" we had purchasing all nine of our homes. :-\

Good luck making a decision.  

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #261 on: August 23, 2005, 07:37:01 PM »

Jane - you have mail

Time to catch up on the posts
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jason

« Reply #262 on: August 23, 2005, 07:38:18 PM »

The house that was used in the movie "The Money Pit" belonged to my boss. He made a nice wad of cash off that movie, then he sold the place.

DR Jose and I sat in the movie theatre for ages before the 40 Year Old Virgin began, but it was nice to be out, even if we had to suffer through those awful movie trivia things for 45 minutes. The movie was much better than I had expected (though it contained some of the most foul language I've ever heard, and I live in f**kin' New York City!), and the chance to relax outside of work and not in my apartment was great. So was the company. :)

Does anyone object (other than my boss) if I take the day off work and join the walking tour of this, my fair city? It sounds like a lot of fun! (And Jose truly is a great tour guide and I'm craving Magnolia Bakery).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 07:39:53 PM by Jason »

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #263 on: August 23, 2005, 07:39:17 PM »

If you make an offer on home #2 be sure to include inspections by contractors to determine the costs of renovating, landcscaping (anything else you can think of) then double the estimates.

And double (or triple) the time they say it will take to do it!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #264 on: August 23, 2005, 07:41:51 PM »

We bought our house when we were newlyweds and expect to be here until the kids put us in The Home. Our house is paid off, and I'd hate to think about taking out a mortgage now.

JMK

« Reply #265 on: August 23, 2005, 07:46:04 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  Yes, DS Betsy and I had already decided to do a walkthrough on house #2 with a contractor to get an inkling of what we might be in store for.  We have, as I said, already lived through several major remodels (including at our current house), so we've been there/done that with contractors (as I think we've discussed, Jane, LOL).

Betsy and I also expected to live here for the rest of our lives, but evidently fate has other plans.

And of course the realtor just emailed another slew (slightly further away) that I'll have to drive by tomorrow, so I may be back asking for more advice.   ::)

vixmom

« Reply #266 on: August 23, 2005, 07:52:57 PM »

You mean if they buy your house you have to move? (A VixMom reference)

;D

vixmom

« Reply #267 on: August 23, 2005, 07:56:02 PM »

Good afternoon / Good evening! (does that cover everyone?)

Thank you one and all for your wonderful birthday wishes.  How can anyone have a bad birthday when they have such a warm, loving (hmmm), world-wide network of friends who have become like family.  Even some folks who are no longer a part of HHW took the time to remember me today.

I have cancelled my previous birthday evening plans, and have decided to spend the entire evening in bed.  However, before I offend members of this puritanical group, let me assure you that I will be spending it alone -- with the exception of the two pussys.

My back continues to get worse and worse, so I decided that a drive up north for dinner would only make the situation worse. Even though I had hoped to finish off the evening by calling at the stage door for a brief visit with the WSMA.  Apparently, it is not in the cards for Mr. Barrett and I to meet at this time.

I have already taken my Vicodin, I am going to feed the cats, go soak in a hot bath, and then I am going to climb into bed and hopefully get to feeling better.

Special thanks to BK for allowing this beautiful and intelligent group of people to gather here each and every day.

Poor TCB I hope you feel better in the morning and get to clebrate your birthday in style tomorrow

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~FEEL BETTER VIBES~~~~~~~[/move]

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #268 on: August 23, 2005, 08:03:17 PM »

VixMom, did you ever hear what happened with those people?

vixmom

« Reply #269 on: August 23, 2005, 08:03:43 PM »

So, DR  Jason, is this your drivers license  photo that you used for the avatar?
 ;D

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up