Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ENDLESS SHORT NOTES  (Read 21536 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE ENDLESS SHORT NOTES
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2004, 09:28:19 AM »

'Course if you're gonna sing with Eydie - ya might as well WEAR the umbrella itself!   :o

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2004, 09:29:55 AM »

Page Two Dance!

Find Me A Primitive Man sang Ethel!   ;D

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2004, 09:33:25 AM »

A question for our New York Dear Readers:  Has "On Stage and Off" been dropped as a regular Friday feature from the New York Times?  The last one to appear (on-line, at least) ran on June 25.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 09:34:29 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2004, 09:40:59 AM »

TOY (Topic of Yesterday)

Not an interesting Hotel, but an interesting time!

It was a dark and dreary night. It had been snowing since before noon. I had returned to my hotel (The great and glamourus Howard Johnson's in Newport RI) to pack my bags for the flight back to CA in the morning.

After dinner (HoJo's finest) I picked up a drink from the bar and headed to my room and curled up with my lastest book, "The Shining" by Stephen King.

I read and read, and it snowed and snowed.
The characters in the book get snowbound in a Hotel - I look out the window - I'm snowbound in a Hotel.

The wind in the the story howls about the Hotel.
The wind in Rhode Island howls about the Hotel.

Up for Breakfast (HoJo's finest) - the streets are completed impassable - no trip to the airport today!

Back to the room for more "Shining" and more sympatheic weather effects.

Lunch (HoJo's finest) - watch the kids on their snow-mobiles crusing up and down the white pile that used to be the highway.

Back to the room - more "Shining" - more howling wind and blowing snow.

Cocktails and Dinner (HoJo's finest)

More creepy reading with real effects.

Midnight!

The book is ended!
The Great Blizzard of 1978 is ended!

The Great HoJo's Finest meals marathon must still run another two days until the roads are clear.

What reading Stephen King brought to Rhode Island:

(That's Lizzie Borden's stomping grounds, Fall River, just up the highway.)

Official Statistics:

Official snowfall: 28.6 inches at T.F. Green Airport, the National Weather Service measuring station.

During the most intense 24 hours, 27.6 inches fell, a record dating to 1905.

Deepest Weather Service-listed unofficial snowfall: 54 inches, Woonsocket.

Most intense snowfall: 3 inches/hour Feb. 6, 7 to 8 p.m.

Biggest wind gust: 58 knots, or 67 mph, Feb. 6, 8 p.m.

Duration: Began Feb. 6 at 10:10 a.m.; ended Feb. 7 at 10:44 p.m.

der Brucer  (who refuses to read "Salem's Lot" in any New England hotel!)

Note: When someone figures out how to film the Topiary scenes from the "Shining", I'm all for a redo of the film - Kubrick misssed the boat!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2004, 09:43:41 AM »

DR Jay,

I think the column usually disappears during the summer.

Loved your schmatte line.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2004, 09:46:38 AM »

Might I just ask, where in tarnation IS everyone?

I'm right here, bk. Or am I not included among the everyone you're asking about?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2004, 09:47:41 AM »

Might I just ask, where in tarnation IS everyone?

We are contemplating your future!

"What If" - A Musical Revue

then

"Why Not" - A Muscial Sequel

and then the pièce de ré·sis·tance:

"Are We There Yet" -A Childrens Musical Revue

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2004, 09:48:32 AM »

A couple of people mentioned it the other day, but I do think THE SEASON is probably the most informative insder look at the theater as a business that's ever been written.

One wishes another book like it would come along. Some aspects that Goldman reported on in that book aren't true any longer and some are more than true even today.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2004, 09:53:39 AM »

So true MATTH...I learned so much from that book.  And I re-read it now and then.

Is it our DRMatthew who is in Footlite's SUESSICAL?  There was an article in the newspaper about it today...concentrating of course on the costumes....

Jay

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2004, 09:58:56 AM »

In the CD player

Mahler:  Symphony #3  (Leonard Bernstein conducting the New York Philharmonic)

The Best of the Preservation Hall Jazz Band

The Bernstein Songbook

Renee Fleming:  The Beautiful Voice

Ethel Merman:  You're the Top
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 10:01:33 AM by Jay »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2004, 10:00:23 AM »

Shame on me! Ultra skammen. I put on all my walking gear -- took it off and went back to bed.
Much work to do and I'm in a fowl mood (cluck cluck). Will walk when the sun goes down.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2004, 10:00:42 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm here!  I'm here!

And I was up soooooo early today! ;)

I headed out around the neighborhood, and found a great little health-food store that was jam-packed with all sorts of stuff, had great prices (even in comparison to Richmond!), and some very friendly and helpful clerks.  So, I picked some "supplies" - including my favorite cereal - and now I'm set for my day!  -And for this week... sort of... more or less...  -Well, I think you know what I mean.

OOHHH!!!  In a case of "It's A Small World"... The young gentleman who BK mentioned in the notes happened to recognize me from his days at American University in Washington, DC!  I had played a few rehearsals for a production of FORUM he was in - he was playing Hero.  AND... It turns out his musical director is my friend, Chris... And I'm currently staying with Chris while I'm out here!  Truly, a small world.  -And it turns out, Tammy and I also have a bunch of other people in common.

Well, I'd write more, but I need to get ready to head to BK's storage unit.  -And I need to run out and get some other stuff done before then too.  So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2004, 10:06:05 AM »

From An AP Story:

While no one in the GOP establishment suggests there's much chance that Bush would dump Cheney, there is still a lot of "what if" talk as the political conventions near.

Is BK planning a political Musical Revue?

der ever-wondering Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2004, 10:06:19 AM »

I'll be gone for a few hours this afternoon helping a friend move some things for a yard sale he's having tomorrow. Then, we're dropping by the pool for an afternoon of sun and swimming. Back in early evening.

Ben

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2004, 10:08:37 AM »

DR Jay, as D-i-T mentioned, the column, On Stage and Off takes the summer off. They usually announce tho, when the last column for the season will appear. I don't remember them doing it this year. The column will re-appear sometime in late August or early September when the "official" beginning of the new season approaches, although Frogs is opening soon and Dracula, the Musical is about to begin previews and will open later  this summer, both of them before the August/September date.

Ben

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2004, 10:11:49 AM »

Looks like George Hearn is getting Wicked.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/87274.html

William E. Lurie

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2004, 10:24:19 AM »

Jay - The column takes off every summer.  In the last one for the season it lets you know it is the last one.  I think it returns the weekend after Labor Day.  This has been the policy for years.

Dan - Just got HOT SPOT and will let you know my opinion after I listen to it over the weekend.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2004, 10:27:17 AM »

Thanks, everyone, for the information about "On Stage and Off."

Panni

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2004, 10:28:01 AM »

As I mentioned earlier, I'm in a foul mood. So some helpless assistant at Disney just heard me at my best (trans: "worst"). I was calling to RSVP the invite to this big DGA premiere of "my" movie. It's going to be quite the night, I think, because it says on the invite "Please join us for a special event to honor those in the industry who have worked to make Disney Channel original movies a success." And when you fold the thing out it has a full page of "my" movie... and all the info (reception, screeing, etc)...then you fold it out again and it has tiny posters of all the other films from the past. So it will be An Event. Anyway, I call, and the assistant goes into the computer -- and can't find my name. "Where did you get the invitation?" he asks. (Meaning - did you steal it?) I told him it was mailed to me because I'm THE WRITER. When after further searching for my name, he said, "I'm sorry, I have to check with my boss if you can come..." I lost it and yelled, "I'm the writer of this damn thing so there's no "if" involved!" The poor man stuttered his apologies, but stuck to his position -- at which point I had an idea. I looked at the envelope the invitation came in, and it had my last name first with no comma. So I asked the hapless man to look under "ANNA"...and...."There you are!" Never heard so much relief in a voice before. I told him that I was not at all surprised by the mistake... (and added a "said she darkly" to give the poor man a laugh). The End. Perhaps I will meet Hilary Duff.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2004, 10:30:50 AM by Panni »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2004, 10:30:36 AM »

Bk, save your valuable time.  I...a big Elvis fan...tell you no one needs to see either DOUBLE TROUBLE or SPINOUT.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2004, 10:37:55 AM »

But BOTH are still better than TICKLE ME.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2004, 11:20:03 AM »

Our casting breakdown has still not gone up - we did it last night, unfortunately after they'd closed, but it should have gone up at nine, and here we are, almost eleven-thirty and it's still not up.  Tammy has been dealing with them, and at 11:08 they promised it would be up in fifteen minutes.  That time is almost gone and if it's not up then they'll be hearing from me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2004, 11:30:01 AM »

(That's Lizzie Borden's stomping grounds, Fall River, just up the highway.)
Huh?  Lizzie Borden and Emeril Lagasse claim the same home town?

From "Whack" to "Bam!"  This sure hints where his cooking style comes from!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2004, 11:35:30 AM »

...So some helpless assistant at Disney just heard me at my best (trans: "worst")....Anyway, I call, and the assistant goes into the computer -- and can't find my name....When after further searching for my name, he said, "I'm sorry, I have to check with my boss if you can come..." I lost it and yelled, "I'm the writer of this damn thing so there's no "if" involved!" The poor man stuttered his apologies, but stuck to his position -- at which point I had an idea. I looked at the envelope the invitation came in, and it had my last name first with no comma. So I asked the hapless man to look under "ANNA"...and...."There you are!" Never heard so much relief in a voice before. I told him that I was not at all surprised by the mistake... (and added a "said she darkly" to give the poor man a laugh). The End. Perhaps I will meet Hilary Duff.
You make me feel sorry for the assistant, Panni!  Of course, he should have asked if your name could have been submitted in some other form, since clerical errors do happen.

If you meet Hilary Duff, give her the same treatment you gave the assistant.  I've heard her ego is highly inflated these days, and a good popping is in order.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2004, 11:56:08 AM »

Jose: I think the other restaurant that claims the invention of the French Dip Sandwich is The Original Pantry Cafe.  It's currently owned by former mayor Richard Reardon.

Michael

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2004, 12:03:34 PM »

Quick note from work

DVD
Various documentaries on Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings and The Towers

CD
Lots of different Broadway related vocalist and concept albums as I am putting together a cabaret act for two friends. Have several already.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2004, 12:05:19 PM »

Yes, DRSWW - I just saw this claim on television last week.  Actually I think Charles Aznavour is the Original French Dip.

LOL DRPANNI - my philosophy has always been Put 'em in their place!  I would imagine that the "higher ups" don't know what the people on the telephone are doing.  There are local theatres I don't go to anymore because of the way the box office people deal with the public!  I don't stop because of one bad experience....but a history of two or three....and no more JR!!

Got a postcard from DRELMORE today.

I will scan it and post it after the show tonight.

Panni

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2004, 12:05:43 PM »

You make me feel sorry for the assistant, Panni!  

No need. I'm sure he gets far worse treatment throughout the day.
BTW - I gave him more grief by asking for three tickets instead of the alloted two. He also had to check about that (I didn't yell - that I can understand). -- But he quickly added, "I'm SURE it can be done. But I do need to check. And I'll be calling you back very soon. Have a REALLY nice day." ...See? He and I were bosom buddies by the end of the call.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2004, 12:06:44 PM »

Breakdown finally went up at 11:50.  I've told Tammy she needs to have them refund her money, as it is now so late that I have no idea how many people we'll get, and how many will be available to sing for us tomorrow and Sunday.

Panni

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2004, 12:11:06 PM »

I would imagine that the "higher ups" don't know what the people on the telephone are doing.

The hapless assistant wasn't really doing anything bad -- just following the rules. And he was trying to be polite. I wasn't angry at him, but at the Mouse House. He just happened to be standing in the way when I drove the truck to get to Mickey.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up