Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BEWITCHED, BOTHERED, AND BEWILDERED  (Read 22957 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:BEWITCHED, BOTHERED, AND BEWILDERED
« Reply #180 on: January 17, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »

What are the varieties this year, DR Vixmom?

Excellent question sir!

http://www.gsnc.org/cookies/about.asp

This should answer all your questions.  Oh and they are $3.50 a box.  I will provide free postage to any HHW'ers who car to buy! Thanks!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #181 on: January 17, 2006, 05:01:59 PM »

So, there I am, IMing with someone, when AOL freezes.  So, I force quit AOL.  Then it won't come back up, so it's not AOL because Safari and IE won't come up, either.  So, I look at the cable modem and all seems to be fine.  I shut the computer down, unplug, replug, and turn the computer back on.  Nothing.  And now the lights on the modem aren't working and it clearly isn't in synch with the airport extreme wireless.  So, I call Adelphia and I get some woman from hell on the phone.  She has me do the usual thing, after first telling me there aren't any outages.  So, I unplug the modem and the airport extreme.  We wait.  She says, "Sir, if you're not going to unplug the modem I won't be able to help."  I said, "I DID unplug the modem and the wireless port."  She tries refreshing on her end.  Nothing.  She says, "We really need you to unplug the modem, sir."  I say, "Do not say that to me again.  The modem is unplugged.  I'm looking at the plug - the plug is lying on the table, what about that do you not understand?"  She takes umbridge and basically keeps calling me a liar.  I told her to get a supervisor on the phone, which she did.  The supervisor had me read the numbers at the bottom of the cable box.  I did.  Oops - guess what - some dip never bothered to update their records when they gave me the new cable modem box, at least on the screen the woman had been looking at.  Now, why the woman couldn't have had me read her those numbers is anyone's guess - she was having too much fun, I suppose, calling a valued customer a liar.  As soon as he had the number, he had me restart the computer, replug everything and all was well - they, of course, acknowledged no wrongdoing or errors on their part.

I would now nominate Adelphia to be in the rarified company of Dali and Bunuel as masters of the surreal.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: January 17, 2006, 05:02:37 PM »

Whatever shall I eat?  I've had a bagel, and I'm hungry as all get out, and I think we know how hungry all get out is.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: January 17, 2006, 05:03:04 PM »

Only 9,000 postings before I achieve my new plateau.

Jed

« Reply #184 on: January 17, 2006, 05:16:13 PM »

Only 9,000 postings before I achieve my new plateau.

Yes, 26,017 will be quite the milestone.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

FJL

« Reply #185 on: January 17, 2006, 05:55:48 PM »

Has anyone already linked the "reader reviews" of DECEIT on the L.A. Times site?  They're running four raves, one recommended, and only one so-so as of right now.  I'll try to link it.

http://www.calendarlive.com/stage/305102,0,2848556,reviews.event

Hmmm...the link didn't work, but it's fairly easy to find once you get to the Stage portion of the L.A. Times site.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 06:14:13 PM by FJL »

MBarnum

« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2006, 06:22:45 PM »

I used part of my gift certificate, which I got at Christmas, and went shopping at Suncoast. You know, their prices are way high! But, be that as it may, I purchased a set of Spaghetti Westerns ($9.99) containing 13, count them, 13 movies! Including a Mark Damon movie (JOHNNY YUMA) and a Richard Harrison movie ( BETWEEN GOD, THE DEVIL AND A WINCHESTER) I have been wanting.

And I bought a 20 episode DVD set (also $9.99) of THE CISCO KID episodes.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2006, 07:13:55 PM »

Don't let them judge you MBarnum. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Yeah.  Just ask TPunk.
[/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2006, 07:16:51 PM »

You know, over the weekend I was receiving a network on Comcast Cable called LOGO...but now it is gone!

Well, it is still there, but I don't have access to it any longer. I don't get it!

Of course all weekend it was reruns of Xena: Princess Warrior so it wasn't like I would have ever really watched the network anyhow.

Was that because you are a lesbian?
[/i]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jason

« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2006, 07:17:34 PM »

Girl Scout Cookies?? Did I hear someone say GIRL SCOUT COOKIES!??!

DR Vixmom: I'll take a couple of boxes of Samoas and Thin Mints. I'll give you a detailed order very soon... :D

MBarnum

« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2006, 07:23:10 PM »

This disc set of Spaghetti Westerns might be a lot of fun...also here are an Edd Byrnes film, a Guy Madison one, a William Shatner (?) one, a Jeffrey Hunter film, Woody Strode, Bud Spencer, Terence Hill, Cameron Mitchell, Klaus Kinski, and my buddy Gordon Mitchell!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2006, 07:23:59 PM »

I had no idea that the LA Times had become like amazon.com and the imdb.

Obviously several Ashford fans have attended.  The one mixed is fascinating in that whoever it is is asking questions that are easy to answer once you've seen the play - maybe he/she fell asleep.  I don't know that there are any plot holes - I was careful in the writing, and actually adjusted a few things along the way - and that's the one thing that no one has said, so, go know.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2006, 07:52:36 PM »

Obviously several Ashford fans have attended.  The one mixed is fascinating in that whoever it is is asking questions that are easy to answer once you've seen the play - maybe he/she fell asleep.  I don't know that there are any plot holes - I was careful in the writing, and actually adjusted a few things along the way - and that's the one thing that no one has said, so, go know.

I was also rather surprised by the LA Times also. If i get a chance this week I will check a couple of other resources for reviews...

I noted that a number of Ashford fans attended. My cousin and hubby attended and they enjoyed it and she was getting ticked at him for bugging her as she tried to figure out what was going on... They did enjoy and plan on going again when her inlaws come out.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2006, 07:57:23 PM »

Good Evening!

Well... The company manager noticed that my cell phone was "ringing" - I had it on "silent", but it still lights up... Hmm... Who was trying to call me?  Twice?  -So... I hit redial...  It was our drummer.  He was just in a car accident - he got rear-ended.  He had tried calling the contractor, but her cell phone was going to voicemail... In any case...

We came up with a bunch of contingency plans, including calling another drummer to come in ASAP just in case Brett wasn't going to be able to make it...

I have to say that a march - which is basically the whole Overture - really does need a snare drum.  And a timpani roll.

:-\

However, in the middle of "Goodbye, Old Girl" - right at the transformation, I heard the bell tree.  At first I thought it was one of the trumpet players literally lending a hand since they're tacet during that passage - and sit right by the drums.  But when the rest of the drum part started filling in... Brett, our drummer, had made it.

-And that's when I started laughing.  His timing could not have been more perfect.  I just kept thinking to myself, "So, when Joe Boyd becomes Joe Hardy he also gets drums?"

;D

Thankfully, Brett is OK, and the rest of the show went swimmingly.  -And our emergency player did make it in too, and ended up sitting in the pit for the show "observing".  So we now have an official back-up drummer.

Whew!

Nothing like live theatre!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2006, 07:59:45 PM »

...And I also received a nice - and reassuring e-mail - from the conductor of Lestat tonight too.  Not only did he confirm my house seat for next Thursday, but he also confirmed my employment in NYC next month.

Whew!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2006, 08:03:27 PM »

A lot of newspapers now have reader reviews on their websites - even the New York Times.

Some online forums even "allow" the regular columnists to "hint" at what is coming up in future columns.  I forget which Bay Area paper it was, but the columnist was asking her readers their opinions about Lestat before she could "officially" post hers after Opening Night.

The Washington Post also has reader reviews as well as weekly online chats with some of their more popular columnists.  The Food & Dining chat is particularly informative - the restaurant reviewer will sometimes hint at the next big place to eat in town - which will be big after his review comes out.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2006, 08:04:44 PM »

Alright, folks, keep them library vibes coming!  So far, they're doing their job.  Got a call this afternoon telling me I'm on the short list and asking for a couple references for the library director to call.  Very good progress, and I hope to be able to share even better news in the next couple days.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2006, 08:06:11 PM »

The rain started early this evenbing and has been off and on all night. Supposed to get much colder tonight and not getting out of the 40s tomorrow. It was 58 here today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2006, 08:10:25 PM »

Great news, DR Jed! Continued good wishes for positive job placement.

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: January 17, 2006, 08:11:37 PM »

Watched another episode from the CSI: MIAMI third season box. This one concerned modern pirates operating out of Miami. Great to see Mark Derwin as a guest star. I've always liked him and find him an underrated actor.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2006, 08:14:01 PM »

Oh... As for the Topic of the Day...

Sunday In the Park With George

"Cinema Paradiso" - The three hour director's cut.

"Like Water for Chocolate"

"Longtime Companion"

Mitsuko Uchida Plays Debussy's Piano Etudes

"Trick" - Not a great movie, but a very sweet one and always an "easy watch".

"West Side Story"

And...  Hmm... It's been a while since I've watched a DVD, so... Maybe I'll think of three more before I head to bed.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2006, 08:14:02 PM »

As I predicted, an hour of the AMERICAN IDOL auditions was all I could stand. During that hour, I heard exactly one performance I liked. Well, two actually, since it was a set of twins who had amazing harmony together and were also each very good solo singers. But the amusement value of hearing Simon rag on the pathetic wanna-bes has ebbed considerably.

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2006, 08:17:04 PM »

At 9, I switched over to SCRUBS which had two entertaining half hours, especially the second one which featured Dr. Cox's religious sister. It was a sweet story (rare for SCRUBS but when they do go for sentiment, they ALWAYS score a bull's eye) about a baby christening.

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2006, 08:20:28 PM »

LOVE MONKEY had some appealing characters, some bright lines, and a good cast. Not an earthshaking, life-changing pilot, but nice is good. It's a pleasant hour and might develop into something more. I'll continue watching for the present. However, I can't say folks that are in the SVU or BOSTON LEGAL habit breaking it to switch to this hour.

On the other hand, NORTHERN EXPOSURE, which had a somewhat similar feel to it, ran for years, so it might be a change of pace that catches the public's fancy. I'll look with interest at the ratings tomorrow afternoon.

Matt H.

« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2006, 08:23:43 PM »

And, the fella I had a semi-date with about two weeks ago and whom I liked very much, well, he and I are having lunch tomorrow for a real date. He works long hours and also volunteers for a lot of different organizations, so this is the first time we've been able to schedule anything since that first "fix-up." Looking forward to seeing how lunch goes tomorrow. We certainly have had no trouble talking on the phone these past two weeks.

Matt H.

« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2006, 08:24:38 PM »

When I get in from lunch, I'll have the other shows to watch that I recorded tonight: SUPERNATURAL, THE CLOSER< SVU, and THE SHIELD.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2006, 08:28:40 PM »

Vibes for Jed!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2006, 08:38:03 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  LIBRARY VIBES FOR DR JED  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2006, 08:39:57 PM »

I watched the first five minutes of LOVE MONKEY tonight and immediately realized I had seen the same show a few years ago.  It was called ED.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2006, 08:45:07 PM »

Don't understand the whole Tom Cavanagh being employed as an actor thing.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up