Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO 2009  (Read 27376 times)

MBarnum

Re: COUNTDOWN TO 2009
« Reply #300 on: December 28, 2008, 08:28:46 PM »

I have yet to send in Flip's interviews as I have had a difficult time finding photos from his films.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #301 on: December 28, 2008, 08:32:26 PM »

I saw one of the worst movies I've seen in my life. The audience was awash in laughter although the movie was not a comedy. The film is called The Spirit and I am hoping that Samuel L Jackson received big bucks for this film. This was not one of his finest hours. Way way over the top. I went to it because I enjoyed Sin City and this film was a big mistake. In my opinion Frank Miller has no talent as a director and even though he directed a portion of Sin City I am sure that the main director Robert Rodriguez was there looking over his shoulder. I wish I could describe every moment that was bad. My friend and I would look at each other in disbelief at what we were watching. The highpoint (and I will it at that) was when Mr. Jackson appear in a Gestapo uniform.

Sadly, any movie is suspect lately when Samuel L. Jackson is listed among its stars. :-\

However... From the trailers, it seemed liked the movie was set up to be some sort of Graphic Novel-inspired camp fest.  Could you tell if anyone in the theater was actually laughing and not feeling "guilty" about laughing at the movie?

I had no idea it was suppose to be graphic novel camp fest. If they were trying at that then did not succeed. It did successfully gave the feeling of a graphic novel a la Sin City, but other than that, Yech!

People were laughing at the movie because what we were watching was inept and unbelievable bad. Several people did get up and leave the theater. It had been a long time since I've seen that happen.

This is such a shame because I love The Spirit comics.  I was holding out some hope for this even though it clearly looked like Frank Miller was filming it as SIN CITY REDEUX.  From what I've been hearing, this movie makes DICK TRACY look like a masterpiece.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #302 on: December 28, 2008, 08:34:27 PM »

And now on to my next Bollywood movie. An B rate action film...a little bit of Robin Hood and a lot of Zorro...AWARA BADAL (1964) starring Ajit, Ragini, and Tiwari.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #303 on: December 28, 2008, 08:41:05 PM »

We watched "Sleepy hollow" last night.  Our first ever viewing!  (Of course we used the Austrian subtitles).  What a wonderful "balanced"and paced film.   "Sweeney Todd" of course was near perfection IMHO.

I have it on Blu-ray, and the stylized look is STUNNING in high def. Glad you liked the film. I liked it very much; found it very effective.

Sleepy Hollow or ST?

der Brucer

SLEEPY HOLLOW. I haven't bought SWEENEY on Blu-ray yet. I've been waiting for the price to come down.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #304 on: December 28, 2008, 08:43:38 PM »

Guess I'll head down to bed now. Another work week where I'll likely be working first on the next Criterion disc, another Rossellini film, but this time a feature film and it's on James XIV.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #305 on: December 28, 2008, 08:50:37 PM »

One of my Christmas presents this year was an Easy Origami Fold a Day calendar.  I'm looking forward to using it!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #306 on: December 28, 2008, 08:54:31 PM »

Good Evening!

WHEW!

-Just had to get that out of the way... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #307 on: December 28, 2008, 08:54:53 PM »

DR DERBRUCER (and DR Jane) - The meat trucks were in Chinatown.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #308 on: December 28, 2008, 08:55:01 PM »

I'm Sleepy and a bit sore.  I used muscles I forgot I had when I painted the past two days.  Plus, I have no idea what the morning will bring so I should get some sleep

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #309 on: December 28, 2008, 08:56:28 PM »

DR MBarnum - I'm so glad that you liked "Slumdog Millionaire".  And, yes, the closing minutes of the film are incredibly exhilarating, exciting and emotional.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #310 on: December 28, 2008, 09:01:46 PM »

So... I guess I'll start with the "bad"...

When I left the apartment earlier, I was all set to meet my family somewhere around Times Square to meet them before they went to see "The Radio City Christmas Spectacular".  And to give them the tickets to said Christmas Spectacular.  Well...

Just as the train was pulling into Columbus Circle, I checked my coat pocket for the tickets, their tickets.  Not in my coat pocket... Not in my jeans... Not in my bag... Not in my coat (again)!!!!

Thankfully and fortunately, there was an uptown express train that had just pulled in across the platform, so, as soon as my train doors opened, I made a mad dash up the stairs, across to the other side, back down those stairs, and onto to the train... "Next stop, 125th Street."

WHEW!

I actually ended up making it back uptown and downtown in about 28 minutes - WITH the tickets in hand.  And for that "record", I would like to profusely thank the NYC MTA!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #311 on: December 28, 2008, 09:09:24 PM »

So... I get off the train at 50th Street, and once I'm above ground, I call my brother.  He was just leaving the hotel to head to the ferry in Weehawken.  Well, that was OK, since it was still relatively early, and they had plenty of time to make it into the city.

About a half hour later... I called my brother again.  They had just pulled into Pier 39, and were heading to the shuttle bus which was going to take them directly to Radio City Music Hall.  Well... There was still a good 30 minutes or so before I had to head downtown to the Public to see Road Show, and I would get a few minutes to see everyone before they went to Radio City.  Well...

About fifteen minutes later... I called my brother again.  "Where are you? Where's the bus?"  They were still over on 50th & 8th, stuck in traffic.  -Which is what I was afraid of, since I could tell that hardly anything was moving on the streets.  I told him that it would be faster for them to get out and walk at that point.  So, at the next "stop" they did.  Well...

About five minutes later... I called my brother again.  "Where are you now?.... OH!  You're walking the wrong way!!!  Turn around!"  So...

Finally around 6:10, I met them on the corner of 50th & 7th - a block from RCMH.

Whew!

-Almost...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #312 on: December 28, 2008, 09:15:30 PM »

Once we met on the corner of 50th & 7th, we exchanged hugs, then...

My father realized that he had left his bag on either the ferry or the shuttle bus.  In the bag were two umbrellas... and my Christmas present from my brother, Don. :(

Well, I gave them the tickets.  They headed over to Radio City, and headed down to 49th to catch the train down to Astor Place.

*I did meet up with my parents after our shows, and I repeatedly asked my Dad if that was really was all that was in his bag.  He said it was.  They had their cameras and their wallets on them.  However, since I've learned - and re-learned quite recently - that my parents tend to play down some "seriousness", I just really hope that they were telling me the truth.  My Mom actually gave me a dollar figure for the gift that my brother gave me, however, knowing the usual generosity of my brother, I wouldn't be surprised if there was another zero on the actual price.  I hope I'm wrong this time, but since it was a watch - a very nice brand of watch - I may not be.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #313 on: December 28, 2008, 09:17:50 PM »

Sorry about your watch DR Jose. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #314 on: December 28, 2008, 09:19:16 PM »

Ok, I'm really going to sleep now. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #315 on: December 28, 2008, 09:29:58 PM »

BK

My iPod is currently play What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life? Instrumental versions by Fred Karlin and the Trotter Trio. Which arrangement do you prefer?

I like them both for very different reasons, but I'd probably give the edge to Karlin.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #316 on: December 28, 2008, 09:30:40 PM »

I saw Flip's wife not that long ago - can't even remember where or why, but we had a very nice chat.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #317 on: December 28, 2008, 09:30:56 PM »

And now for the good...

First of all, many, many Thank You's to DR FJL for inviting me to come along tonight.  I had planned to see Road Show, but with all the unexpected busy-ness over the past couple of weeks, it just got away from me.  So, it was truly an unexpected treat to be able to see the show tonight - and on it's closing night too.

Yes, it does sound like a "Sondheim Show", but isn't/wasn't it supposed to?  I remember the original Wise Guys workshop, as well a Bounce, and knowing how much of the material of this show fits chronologically in Sondheim's output, it all made "sense" to me.

I thought the performances of Alex Gemignani and Michael Cerveris were wonderful, and they were surrounded by a supporting cast of some Sondheim "regulars", as well as a few newer faces and voices - including DR FJL's dear friend, Bill Parry.

And Mr. Sondheim, himself, was in attendance tonight - semi-sneaking into his seat a few minutes before the show started.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #318 on: December 28, 2008, 09:32:08 PM »

Juliana and her mum have left.  We ended up going to Hugo's (Studio City version) because they were hungry.  I didn't eat, but we had a very good time, and we ran into a bunch of Juliana's high school classmates who were dining with her former teacher, Rich Schraier, who's now involved with the LA Festival of New Musicals.  After we finished dinner we hung out at their table for quite some time.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #319 on: December 28, 2008, 09:37:29 PM »

Sorry about your watch DR Jose. 

Thanks DR Cillaliz.  As much as it would have been nice to have received an actual gift, I really am more worried about my brother being out some money due to an understandable oversight on my father's part - he was on "Emily duty" during the ferry ride over from New Jersey, while my brother, Mike, was watching the three other kids in tow.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #320 on: December 28, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »

I tried to watch PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES before I interviewed Flip. But I couldn't get through it.

I remember watching the TV series, and liking it. -In reruns, of course. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #321 on: December 28, 2008, 09:41:53 PM »

Hmmm... Popcorn.  Hmm... Ice Cream... Hmmm....

Although, when I was walking through Times Square earlier, there was a major promo for the new-ish m&m's Premiums.  They had people giving out boxes - the regular sized boxes of them!  Apparently, they really wanted to give them out.  So much so that I ended up with six boxes of them.  Alas, I only ended up with one box of the Chocolate Mint ones and five of the Raspberry Almond.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #322 on: December 28, 2008, 09:42:37 PM »

~~~~~EASY WATER PIPE REPAIR VIBES TO DR CILLALIZ~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #323 on: December 28, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »

~~~~~PRE-NIGHT, PRE-FLIGHT TRAVEL VIBES TO DR RON PULLIAM~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #324 on: December 28, 2008, 09:43:43 PM »

~~~~~PRE-NIGHT, PRE-FLIGHT AND NON-ANTSY TRAVEL VIBES TO DR ELMORE~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #325 on: December 28, 2008, 09:44:01 PM »

-Is "pre-night" even a word?!?!?!  -Well, y'all know what I mean. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #326 on: December 28, 2008, 09:49:03 PM »

It was at the Sportman's Lodge I first knew I wanted to be a vegetarian, long before I ever heard the word vegetarian.   That was when they kept the pond stocked for fishing.  My father took me and we had a great time catching fish, until we went into the kitchen to watch them cut the heads off.  My fish was still alive & I begged them not to do it.  I wanted to put it back in the pond. 

Maybe the new owners can open a restaurant just for you "The Tofu Palace".

der Brucer

The Tofu Place.  I LIKE THAT :)

Well, the next time you're in NYC, I'll be sure to take you to Kyotofu.

*And their sake and sochu selection is rather impressive too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #327 on: December 28, 2008, 09:50:58 PM »

DR Jane - And there's a new Tofu-based restaurant in Koreatown here too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #328 on: December 28, 2008, 09:56:20 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #329 on: December 28, 2008, 09:57:09 PM »

Back from the beach, and back to work this morning!

On a Sunday?

F-C-F-C-G!

;D

Translation, please...??!!

SUNDAY from SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE.

DING! DING! DING!

Give that man a Prize!!!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up