Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I DRAW THE LINE  (Read 20745 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:I DRAW THE LINE
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2003, 02:33:12 PM »

I'll be missing for much of the evening. At 7 tonight, I head over to a friend's home for a Christmas dinner (bring a dish) where I get the first Christmas presents of the season. Looking forward to the food, the fellowship, and, of course,  the Christmas loot!  :)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2003, 02:45:59 PM »

I was just called in to work at the Met, so I'm off for a loverly performance of IL BARBIERE DI SIVIGILA. Rapture!

MBarnum: I've been burning a hole in my WICKED recording...it's all I've listened to for the last 24 hours. You need to get a copy of it...it's truly worth it, and you should read the novel, as well. It's readily available at any Barnes and Noble. Get it!

WICKED by Gregory MacGuire. WICKED by Stephen Schwartz. Get them, enjoy them, love them. :-)

I got a call from MTI today wondering if I was coming in this week. I was going to call them this afternoon to tell them that I wouldn't be in until after Christmas, but they roped me into working tomorrow, Monday and part of Tuesday, so I'll just take my luggage with me on Tues. and catch the bus to LaGuardia. Sounds like a plan, yes? I'll be home (in Louisville) from Tuesday night to Sunday afternoon, but we have internet access at home, so I'll check in as often as possible, or AOAP in internet lingo.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2003, 02:51:50 PM »

DR George: That sounds so complicated. I just wanted a smiley :(

Usually, I do too.  But if it's late at night and I have nothing else to do, I experiment with things like this.  ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2003, 03:19:14 PM »

Shortly we will be passing the 13,000 post mark, unless, that is, we have a LULL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2003, 03:28:15 PM »

I now have another French film to add to my favorite list:

ORPHEUS.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2003, 03:31:48 PM »

What I want to know is, where is it that folks look to see how many posts have accumulated?

Where is the magical number being tallied?

George

« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2003, 03:50:53 PM »

Only 2 more posts until 13,000!   PPPUUUSSSHHH!!!!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2003, 03:51:45 PM »

I'll help!!!!

George

« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2003, 03:52:32 PM »

What I want to know is, where is it that folks look to see how many posts have accumulated?

Where is the magical number being tallied?

Ron, if you click the "Home" button at the top of each page, you'll see all the different topics and the total number of posts for each top.  From their you would click the "Daily Discussions" button for each day's topics.

George

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2003, 03:53:33 PM »

Vanity Post:  #12,999!

George

« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2003, 03:55:48 PM »

Enough!  #13,000!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2003, 03:57:35 PM »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 03:58:51 PM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2003, 04:02:23 PM »

Just checked in and noticed that DR Jed's "Dad" is with us. Hope you are feeling at least a little better.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2003, 04:08:27 PM »

Everyone in my little house is so GORGEOUS right now. Abie (dog) had a bath, the car was washed and I just came back from having my hair highlighted and trimmed for an outrageous price. All this beauty is being wasted, however, as I have no evening plans (nor does Abie) -- I may just stare at myself in the mirror for the next few hours. Sound like a plan?

Panni

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2003, 04:19:34 PM »

G&S - I've never been a huge fan, but I was engaged for a while to a man who was a lyricist. He did an updated MIKADO (I think) at Stratford and got me to actually like G&S. I broke off the engagement after a time and went back to not being a huge G&S fan. But I did like the movie a few years ago. Can't remember the title... I have to eat lunch now. Didn't get a chance earlier as I was being made stunning by Julian the Bulgarian Master Colorist.
(That's what it says on his card - not the Bulgarian  part.)
BTW - I was re-reading Benjamin Kritzer as I waited for the highlights to take. Pretty decent book.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2003, 04:41:53 PM »

Ron, if you click the "Home" button at the top of each page, you'll see all the different topics and the total number of posts for each top.  From their you would click the "Daily Discussions" button for each day's topics.

Got it!  Thanks, George!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2003, 04:49:40 PM »

Hoo and ray - over 13,000 posts.  I think that no one can touch us with a ten foot pole or even an eight foot czech.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: December 17, 2003, 05:03:54 PM »

I haven't gotten through all of the posts yet, but I thought I had better start answering some of the questions, before I forgot them completely.

First, thanks to all of you who wished me a speedy recovery.  I stayed in bed for most of the day, except for potty breaks, but, so far, no improvement.  Still, I am going to try and go back to work tomorrow.

Lines I hate: Grocery lines when the clerks don’t enforce the ten or twelve item rule, or when the person ahead of me doesn’t bother to take out their check book until the clerk totals their bill. Aaaaargh!

Favorite game shows: I’ve Got A Secret and What’s My Line, but never To Tell the Truth.  I loved Arlene Francis and Bill Cullen, and yes, even Dorothy Kilgallen.  As for today’s game shows, I like Jeopardy, Pyramid, and Millionaire.

I was never a G & S fan, or didn’t think I was, until Pirates opened on Broadway in 1979 or 1980.  Seeing Kevin Kline (woof!) Rex Smith, Linda Ronstadt, and the rest of the cast of that show gave me an entirely different appreciation for their shows

I wouldn't go to the costume party as any character from a musical, because I hate costume parties, so I would have stayed home.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jed

« Reply #108 on: December 17, 2003, 05:09:30 PM »

Lines - Blech.  Unless of course it's at a theater, those lines I can handle.  With the right incentive, a line at a kissing booth may be livable, too.

G&S - Very glad that DR Noel mentioned Trial by Jury, which is definitely my favorite.  Of course, it's probably only my favorite because I've been in it twice (high school and college).  I do also enjoy Pirates... if done well.

Emily - Congrats for being done done done with exams!  I'll gladly join you in your celebration dance (if TD doesn't mind my cutting in :) ).  Me thinks DR Ann is done done done as well.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2003, 05:16:46 PM »

AH! The family posts together! I thought you had gone "potty" ages ago TCB.
Amazing: I have started writing my Christmas cards.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Andrea

« Reply #110 on: December 17, 2003, 05:42:03 PM »

Congrads Emily

I still have one paper due for friday.

But I do have something to look foward to (besides New York with Maya, LC and Craig): Emily is going to allow me to take her shopping and dress her! Isn't that fab! She'll have a budget and she'll get to try on clothes, all day long!

Andrea

« Reply #111 on: December 17, 2003, 05:43:28 PM »

Panni... if you look gorgeous, you deserve to go out. Get out there and make evening plans!

oh! And don't forget to take a picture!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 06:12:45 PM by Andrea »

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #112 on: December 17, 2003, 05:50:17 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]FOUR EXAMS DOWN, ONE TO GO!!![/move]  

By noon tomorrow, I am a free woman!

LOL, Dan!  That poor ballerina!

Jason--One of the schools I'm considering transferring to is Northern Kentucky University, cause I hear they have a great musical theatre program and they're fairly inexpensive for an out of state school.  Charles Pogue said it was a good school...do you have any info on it?

BK, I think you would make a great Cassie!  Personally, I think I would go as Lily Vanessi and look super glam.  

It's funny you guys mentioned Christopher Meloni...just the other day a friend of mine was raving about how hot he is on SVU, a show I don't watch.  I don't really care for crime shows, but for a guy, that sexy I might be persuaded.

I'm not much of a G&H person admittedly but I like Pirates of Penzance.  And my favorite game shows are Jeopardy, Hollywood Squares and re-runs of the Match Game.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #113 on: December 17, 2003, 06:37:41 PM »

Dear BK,

What should I get my brother for Christmas?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: December 17, 2003, 07:06:54 PM »

Alone........ again........naturally.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: December 17, 2003, 07:10:26 PM »

Maya is already gone, but I did want to tell her that I was not familiar with the songwriting duo of G & H
“One thing’s universal,

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2003, 07:12:45 PM »

TCB--LOL!  As the expression goes....

MY BAD!  Sorry, Mr. Hullivan...I mean Sullivan!

Jennifer

« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2003, 07:14:33 PM »

Hey TCB, feel better!

Btw, is it common in the US to pay for groceries with a cheque? I think it is allowed here. But most people pay by credit card (which i normally do) or interac.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #118 on: December 17, 2003, 07:31:05 PM »

I saw Girl With A Pearl Earring this evening, Dear Readers.  

I must first tell you my relationship with Vermeer.  Every time I visited the Frick collection in New York, I was always mesmerized by the Vermeer paintings to be found there.  There is one in particular, in the main gallery, which depicts a maid looking concernedly at a lady (in a yellow dress, and this has nothing to do with Contact) as she reads a letter.  I cannot tell you how many hours (cumulatively) I have spent in front of that painting, but I can tell you it is many.  I have pondered what moment in what scenario was being depicted in that painting, and created a number of different narratives in my mind in which that moment captured in oil would be a key point in the story.

So I was very pleased (and not a little jealous) when the novel Girl With A Pearl Earring came out a few years ago, and looked forward with great anticipation to the movie version of the book.

The film is beautiful to look at.  The cinematography is superb, the lighting particularly so.  Each actor is excellent in his/her role.  Colin Firth (be still my heart) and Tom Wilkinson both fill their parts admirably.  I can envision Judy Parfitt pulling a Judi Dench at Oscar time for her effort as Vermeer's mother-in-law.  As for Scarlett Johanson, it seems the less dialogue she has, the more effective she is.  This was true in Lost in Translation, and is true in Girl, as some of her strongest scenes do not contain a word.  It will be interesting to see if Miss Johanson is simply flavor of the month, or if she can sustain her art and visibility and become one of the major actresses of our future.  I am hoping the latter is the case.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #119 on: December 17, 2003, 07:32:27 PM »

DR Andrea - Thanks for cheering me on, but I think I'll stay in and study for my CA written Driver's Test (which I have to take as I've just moved here from CO). It would be just too embarrassing to fail, but I have no idea of what the CA rules of the road are. (Other than drive FAST!)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 07:34:15 PM by Panni »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up