Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I DRAW THE LINE  (Read 20641 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I DRAW THE LINE
« on: December 17, 2003, 12:13:17 AM »

Well, by now you've read the notes so you know what my true love is up to and you know how I'm drawing the line.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 12:23:57 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:I DRAW THE LINE
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 12:33:28 AM »

Interesting, very interesting... BK's post was the 12900th post.  -I just find it interesting that it's a round number... as opposed to a square, rectangular or octagonal number.

See, I can draw a line too!  Oh, let's see if I can make it do a trick?!?

------------------------------------------------

See?  Now's a broken line, well, dashes....  Oh, and one more trick... Hmm......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

YEAH!  A Wavy Line!  Good Line!  Good Line!

-Now what kind of treat do you give a line?

Oh, Ask BK, Ask DR Day:

What is your favorite type of line to stand in (waiting)?

What is your least favorite type of line to stand in?

What is the longest line you've ever stood in?

What is the longest amount of time you've stood in line?  (Yes, this question and the preceding could be the same or not depending upon you experiences... and syntax.)

Well, that's enough for now.. I just hope I don't fall asleep between my chair and the bed... Oh, no!... Too late....

Goodnight.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 11:34:40 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura II

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 12:42:05 AM »

I'll probably answer those questions tomorrow, DR Jose. I'm so sleepy--about to go to bed. I just wanted to let DRs Dan and Laura know that I am sorry about the losses of their mothers. You and your families will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope I can fall asleep soon...someone just sang Billy Joel's "Lullaby" to me over the phone. So soothing and...::deep sigh:: I'm so content right now!  :D
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 02:50:20 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm....I will have to think about Jose's questions.

DR Lulu is arriving in Indianapolis today and sometime over the next week we will be having a lunch!

A lot of DR's are traveling and having fun.  How delightful.

My question for ASK BK day is:

What was your favorite television quiz show when you were growing up?  Who was your favorite panelist & host?  And what game show did you just not find entertaining at all?

Jose - your questions will require some pondering.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 04:44:48 AM »

Least favorite type of line:

The line at the Post Office - because usually the person being waited on is telling the clerk his/her life story or is sending out Quilts for Jesus and expects Him to know the right Zip Code.

Favorite type of line:
the line for a movie, because you are excited to see it, and you are usually with friends.

Longest line, longest time:
Either Disney World or King's Island to ride on some attraction.  Usually NOT worth it, but sometimes it IS!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2003, 05:20:35 AM »

Good morning everyone!  What an icky day it is here.  We had a huge 30+cm snowstorm Sunday and Monday. And now today we have lovely freezing rain, and tomorrow we will have more snow. I hate winter!

DR Noel: I hope you saw my post yesterday about the cd. It was on page 4.  

DR MBarnum: No, M+Ms yet. I hope the mailman doesn't kill himself trying to deliver them today.

Btw, I realized what takes my computer so long to do at HHW. It's all the stuff on the left hand side of each post (country, status, karma, picture ...). If I read the posts as a guest, it takes like 1/4 of the time to load each page!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 05:28:55 AM »

I don't mind a lineup at a theatre. On my recent trip to New York I waited outside the Henry Miller theatre for rush seats to Urinetown. The time passed quickly - schmoozing with an aspiring actress from NYC and a theatre maven from Tulsa.

I have no patience on a lineup at the bank; JRand said it best. Also, and I don't know if this is a Toronto thing, I hate a supermarket lineup on which the person ahead of me starts fumbling for change and counting pennies after the total's been rung up.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 05:56:11 AM »

The longest line I waited stood in was to have something appraised at "Antique Roadshow." I waited over eight hours. If we'd known it was that long, we'd have skipped the whole thing. I did, however, make my television debut. Well, the camera panned over the line, and someone said she recognized me.

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2003, 05:57:42 AM »

Worst line: Airport security, because I know I'm going to be searched. And either coming or going, I ALWAYS am.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2003, 06:36:13 AM »

DRLaura what did you have appraised?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2003, 06:43:25 AM »

It was a handmade wooden inlaid box dating from about 1830 that I got from my aunt's estate. The appraiser was not impressed.

Diane

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2003, 06:46:43 AM »

Favorite Line: Waiting fri your ticket to be ripped at a Broadway Show..especially if you have never been in that particular theatre before.

Least Favorite: Line at the 12 or less items check out  with that one person who tries to sneak 20 items because "its all the same cat food" :P

Question to all: Anyone wanna reccomend a good book?
I LOVE A Piano....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2003, 07:23:01 AM »

Atlas Shrugged

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2003, 07:36:39 AM »

I despise post office lines. They seem to move more slowly than any other kind of line. Don't really relish lines at the grocery store checkout either, but that's why I go early on Sunday morning so there won't be one.

For Ask BK Day: Are you a fan of Gilbert and Sullivan operettas? (I'm not, but I'm always curious who is and which ones they like.)

How about other DRs out there. Do you like Gilbert and Sullivan? If so, which ones? Are there any you can't stand even if you like some of the others.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2003, 07:38:23 AM »

For Diane: Good book..THE CHRISTMAS BOX by Paul Evans. I loved it. Sappy I suppose, but I almost always buy it for someone at this time of year.

I also hate grocery store lines when people stand there and wait until everything is rung up...THEN they pull out the check book and slowly write it out (which they could have been doing whilst the checker was ringing up the purchases)...there there is the inevitable "That was on sale, I am sure it was!"

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2003, 07:40:42 AM »

How about one of Dickens' other Christmas books? THE CRICKET ON THE HEARTH perhaps. And it's not very long either since everyone is SO busy around this time of year.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2003, 07:43:39 AM »

As far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as a good line (especially, "Do you come here often?" ...Sorry, couldn't resist.)
-- I hate standing on line. On the other hand, I do have this capacity to totally zone out and either people-watch or transport my mind somewhere else. That comes from childhood when I would constantly have stories that I made up (little plays) running through my head, whenever boring occasions like walking to school came up. So that makes standing in a lineup a little more palatable, I suppose.
Okay, gotta get ready. My dog is having his first LA bath early this morning and I have to deliver him to the place. He's just innocently lying around, not knowing what's about to happen. I feel a little guilty. Later today, I go to a fancy schmanzy place to get my hair trimmed and highlighted. This is my present to myself. And I will look deeevine, dahlinks. My dog and I will both look deevine!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 07:48:32 AM by Panni »

Andrea

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2003, 07:43:58 AM »

How about other DRs out there. Do you like Gilbert and Sullivan? If so, which ones? Are there any you can't stand even if you like some of the others.

Wait for DR emily to finish her exam and I'm sure she'll answer that. She loves all G&S.

Personally, I like G&S when it is done by my university. Prof. type student singers and the most random things included. It's quite worth it.

Diane

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2003, 07:54:33 AM »

Matt and Michael: Thanks for the suggestions..I'll have to go and pick both of those up!

G&S: Not a fan...I have known people who are absolutly crazy about their stuff for what ever reason.
I LOVE A Piano....

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2003, 07:59:36 AM »

I've got a nice Christimasy movie in the DVD player for today - HATARI!

Kidding about it being Christmasy. Just plucked it off the shelf and have it ready to play now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2003, 08:02:17 AM »

Let's see... Diane asked if anyone can recommend a good book.  Let's see... That will really require some thinking... Let's see... Well, if you enjoy this here site, Diane, you might want to give Benjamin Kritzer and its sequel Kritzerland a go.  If you go to the "notes" page you can find links to them and they are written by a buff and toned person with abs and buns of steel.

Hate any kind of line.  

Don't know much about Gilbert and Sullivan I'm afraid to say.

Favorite quiz shows growing up: Treasure Hunt with Mr. Jan Murray, and The 64,000 Question.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2003, 08:04:57 AM »

I guess DR Diane didn't like my book suggestion.  :'(

I love HMS Pinafore!  The other ones are okay...except I don't like The Mikado much.  But HMS makes me laugh from beginning to end.  And the music and lyrics just sparkle.  Rafe Rackstraw, Dick Deadeye, Josephine, Sir Joseph Porter, Captain Corcoran, Cousin Hebe, Buttercup - all the sailors and their ladies - I love them all!

I once choreographed a production of it with Jr High and High School students and they had a blast!  

In case you can't tell, I LOVE HMS PINAFORE!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]"Ring the merry bells aboardship, rend the air with warbling wild!"[/move]

And of course the Kritzer books are the BEST choice. :-[  Why didn't WE think of that?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 08:06:44 AM by JRand53 »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2003, 08:11:03 AM »

It was a handmade wooden inlaid box dating from about 1830 that I got from my aunt's estate. The appraiser was not impressed.

D'Ohhh!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2003, 08:13:42 AM »

I keep forgetting to mention that during the holiday season, all through the end of the year - FREE PRIORITY SHIPPING on the autographed Kritzer books.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2003, 08:18:55 AM »

Lines affect me in different ways.  Sometimes they're bores.

But other times, they're highly amusing.  The ones that amuse me the most are the ones other folks try to "tow."

You know...they write that they had to "tow the line" and I get grand images of a huge line of something (you know, people, tires, Corinthian columns, Calistoga wagons, etc.) all linked together by some sort of harness and one plucky individual doing his or her darnedest to "tow that line" effectively.

Invariably, though, my images are dashed to pieces when I realize they ultimately meant they were "toeing a line" -- in other words, disciplining themselves against something that would otherwise rule their lives rather than them having control.

If Johnny Cash could "walk the line," wouldn't you think someone somewhere could "tow" a line?

Well, I have to toe the line today.  I've got STUFF to get done.  First, I have to drink some coffee.  Then I have to cajole and stroke and pet and coo my cat all the way to the kennel.  THEN I can start getting other petty stuff done.

That doesn't include packing which I'm anticipating with gusto.  I long to start laying things out right now, but cats being the fickle and vengeful/spiteful creatures they can be, I dare not risk laying anything out right now.  No, I must bide my time, sip my coffee and get ready to make extraordinary efforts to get my kitty to the kennel.

(I personally cannot wait until BK's true love presents him with three French hens.  Are those hens going to give him l'attitude or what?)

;)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 12:31:12 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2003, 08:27:28 AM »

DR Ron, do you drink regular coffee, decaffenated coffee, or a personal blend of coffees?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2003, 08:33:32 AM »

DR MattH:  Yes, thank you for asking.

Actually, I drink a coffee called "Fogbuster" and it's a blend sold by a San Francisco firm called Jeremiah's Pick.  I'm fond of French roasts and Italian roasts, too.  Oh, yes, caffeine is my drug of choice!

As for Gilbert & Sullivan, I always thought I ought to love those operettas, but the only pleasure I've ever derived from them is when they are excerpted in various films -- I guess it's the scenery and costumes and names of characters (Yum-Yum) that amuse.  But I fall asleep trying to listen to G&S.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 08:40:15 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2003, 08:34:38 AM »

I'm wrapping Christmas presents right now with THE DORIS DAY CHRISTMAS ALBUM playing in the background. Now, all I'd need is snow to complete the scene (but I hate snow, so never mind!)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2003, 08:43:18 AM »

I found this:

and this:

and had to share.

I'm not much of a G&S fan, but my mom LOVES G&S.  A couple of years ago I got my mom a 2-CD compilation of "the best" of G&S and a three-videotape set of G&S productions filmed live in Canada.  The cutest adaptation of a G&S show was when a local children's theater did "The Mikado Goes West."  It was The Mikado set in the Old West with gun fighters, bad guys all in black and good guys all in white.  I don't know if it's actually available in that version or if they adapted it themselves, but it was actually pretty good.  The cast was a bit on the younger side (for this theater group--all the kids are between 8 and 16), but it was just so cute you didn't mind, especially since a lot of them were actually very good.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Diane

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2003, 08:43:41 AM »

JRand:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]I'M SORRY![/move]

I skipped over it by accident! I will try to find yours as well! ;)
I LOVE A Piano....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up