Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: I DRAW THE LINE  (Read 20668 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:I DRAW THE LINE
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2003, 12:00:28 PM »

MR BK would you bring your own music and mirrors?  

I would dress as Mr Applegate!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2003, 12:02:41 PM »

DR Maya - That is a great article.  I'm gonna go ahead and print it out and pass it around at the theatre tonight.

DR DiT - I, too, use the Marquis facilities when I'm in Times Square.  However, beware of the pre-theatre period.  The wait for the elevator can be long - now that's a line I hate to stand in, although at the Marquis there's no real line for the elevator, it's more like every man, woman and child for themselves!  *And they are also in the middle of "upgrading" their elevators right now - at least they were when I was up there in mid-September.  They posted these large signs encouraging patrons to use the escalators as much as possible since, at times, half of the elevators would be out of service during the upgrade period.  And I even think there was a mention of wait times up to half an hour - ???  I also use the bathrooms in the Edison - although, it just depends who's working the desk at the time, since you have to be buzzed in, and they're supposed to be for hotel guests only.  But the door is usually propped open - at least the men's one is, don't know about the women's.  But even when I've gotten buzzed in, no one at the desk has ever given me a dirty look.

OH, and as to what character I would come as...  I'll have to think more about that one.

Oh, and Tomovoz, where are you?  Hope all is well with you and Colin.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2003, 12:07:26 PM »

Oh, there you are Tomovoz!  :)

DR WEL - Victor Hawks - He's been with the show since it started off-Broadway.  Quite the interesting talent.  One of his "party tricks" was singing, "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going".... in Jennifer Holliday's key!  And it was good too!  I used to play for him at Catholic University.  And, like I said, I wish I could see Megan Lawrence... But I will get to see Spencer Kayden and Jeff McCarthy!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2003, 12:13:20 PM »

Wait a minute....if Mr BK has the hair to dress as Cassie, I have the hair to dress as Sheila!

Can the adults smoke?  Can the adults please smoke?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2003, 12:44:24 PM »

I would go as Frederick from "A Little Night Music".

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2003, 12:47:27 PM »

I'd tie a burning incense pot around my neck so it rests on my tummy and go as "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" from Roberta.

Some years ago, an improv group, The Pollyannas, had you cut out headlines from the Paducah newspaper.  These were thrown in a hat, and, randomly were picked up to inspire their improv show.

I'll be playing for improv tonight and tomorrow - tonight's free Second City class show is at the Barrow Group on W. 36 at 8.  Tomorrow's a corporate gig.

www.WeddingMusical.com
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2003, 12:52:36 PM »

Ask BK: Best cheap eats in the Valley, East of Encino, west of the Cahuenga pass, not too far from Ventura Blvd. (if not on it)

(What are you, Elmer Dills all of a sudden?)   :-\
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2003, 01:09:28 PM »

Getting back to those turtle doves, one has only to apply some basic genetics to get the following:

If papa turtle dove and mama turtle dove have four eggs that hatch, the odds support that they should have one full-fledged turtle, one full-fledged dove, one turtle dove, and one dove turtle.

That's assuming that we're starting with one turtle dove of each sex.  

On the other hand, if they're both male turtle doves, they'll either spend their time together watching football, or (alternatively) go shopping.  Hopefully they'll be the alternative, because two male turtle doves watching football tend to get sloppy with the beer and pretzels.  Two female turtle doves, on the other hand, will either go shopping or, alternatively, rebuild carborators together.  

Tomorrow's three french hens are going to be in a lot of trouble if one of them has mono.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2003, 01:14:24 PM »

Tony Kushner was on CHARLIE ROSE last night talking mainly about the ANGELS IN AMERICA film but he also mentioned how proud he is of his writing in CAROLINE OR CHANGE. I'm happy it will have a chance to make it on Broadway.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2003, 01:17:30 PM »

Below is the first of three photos I'm puttin on the site. This one and the next one are pictures of the OZ tree I mentioned my friends bringing for me a couple of Saturdays ago. This is a full view of it.

Matt H.

« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2003, 01:19:30 PM »

This next one is a close up so you can see an ornament and a ruby slippers light.

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2003, 01:21:37 PM »

And for DR MBarnum, here's the poster Christopher Meloni's publicist had done up for me with his signature. Sorry it's taken me several days to snap it and post it here.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2003, 01:26:34 PM »

I like a place called Zach's Italian Cafe, not too expensive Italian food, on Ventura Blvd.  somewhere between Vineland and Lankershim.  

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2003, 01:27:16 PM »

Very cool tree Matth! I love that!!!! I am guessing that you are somewhat, at least, a fan of Wizard of Oz?

And that poster Yowza!

I sure would like to have Christopher Meloni hanging in my living room!!  :D

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2003, 01:27:59 PM »

And Tomovoz...they must have Tarnation in Australia too! LOL! We missed you!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2003, 01:36:08 PM »

Where in tarnation IS everyone?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2003, 01:39:39 PM »

Well, tarnation!  I've gone and packed.  It's ALL done.

Now I have to relax.  I've got enough time to watch  expanded versions of LOTR:FOTR and LOTR:TTT.

Or, I could nap.  Yes, that's it.  A nap!

Ooh!  A nap is the thing.

And then I'll come back and read some more of this here forum.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2003, 01:44:37 PM »

DR George: That sounds so complicated. I just wanted a smiley :(

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2003, 01:51:05 PM »

DR MBarnum wrote:  "And that poster Yowza!

I sure would like to have Christopher Meloni hanging in my living room!!"

Actually, I have the poster at the end of the hallway leading to my bedroom.  :)

But there are other publicity 8X10s of him (some signed, some not) all over my house. One of the perks of helping out in those early years of his site.

Yes, I do love OZ which is why I'm chomping at the bit for my WICKED CD to arrive. AMazon said it's on the way. Hopefully, I'll have it by Friday. I love the OZ DVD set, but in compiling it, Warners didn't port over John Fricke's magnificent running commentary from the deluxe laserdisc set. I've seen the film so much that I put in the laser really to hear his comments.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: December 17, 2003, 01:56:57 PM »

I have heard much mention of this WICKED cd. Is it somehow associated with THE WIZARD OF OZ?

PS: A couple of years ago, in North Hollywood, I had breakfast at the table next to an actress who played one of those lovely ladies in the green dresses who are doing the Cowerdly Lion's hair in Oz. She was very sweet and we talked quite a bit. Can't remember her name though.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 01:58:44 PM by MBarnum »

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: December 17, 2003, 01:58:08 PM »

Thanks MBarnum. It was a busy day. I have been compiling Cds for a Melbourne Radio Station and listing titles, artists, composers, timings and, where possible (in most case fortunately), the original 45 rpm catalogue numbers. Legalities and royalties of course! My record collecting since my early teens at last pays dividends.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2003, 01:59:18 PM »

I have seen Mr. Meloni walking down several streets here in the City (never at the same time, of course), and he is every bit as striking in person as he is on the telly. Yowza, indeed...

And speaking of Yowza...did I mention how gorgeous Jessica Lange is in BIG FISH. YOWZA!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2003, 02:03:23 PM »

Jessica Lange of course played Frances Farmer in the fictional film biography of the actress' life.

And actually WHEREVER Mr Meloni is...he is hung.

MATTH - beautiful beautiful tree!

I am sure SOMEONE will post a link to the WICKED website so that DRMBARNUM can get properly educated about this recently opened Broadway show!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 02:04:39 PM by JRand53 »

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2003, 02:03:40 PM »

Here is my BK/DR question of the day. How in tarnation do you burn audio tapes and records to CD. Do you need special software or do you use the software that you burn CDs with?

I bought a special connector wire thing to go from my tape player to the computer but have yet to try it. I don't have a turn-table anymore, but if I knew how to burn records I would rush out and buy one!

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2003, 02:04:48 PM »

MBarnum: I sometimes forget you are not the theatre addict that some of us are.  You can see a pic of the Wicked cd, in DR Jason's bottom left corner.

Wicked is a new Broadway musical, starring Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel (not sure if you know who they are).  The music is by Stephen Schwartz.  It is related to the story of the Wizard of OZ. It's the story of the witches Glinda and Elphaba.

I get sad when I look at Jason's pic, cause it just reminds me that my copy from amazon.ca is so NOT HERE and delayed :(

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000TB01Y/qid=1071698903/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-6697415-0740631

Based on Gregory Maguire's novel of the same name, Wicked tells us what happened between Glinda the Good and Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, before Dorothy showed up in Oz.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 02:11:14 PM by Jennifer »

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2003, 02:07:34 PM »

Quote from: JRand53 And actually WHEREVER Mr Meloni is...he is hung.

[quote

Well, I must be seeing him in the wrong shows! LOL!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2003, 02:14:04 PM »

MATTH - beautiful beautiful tree!

Yes, the tree is quite fetching.  Somehow, though, I feel it needs a touch more red!

MBarnum can learn all about "Wicked" by visiting www.wickedthemusical.com.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2003, 02:15:32 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2003, 02:14:26 PM »

I don't burn cassettes and/or records through the computer, I have two stand-alone CD burners.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2003, 02:19:30 PM »

So many interesting questions today!

Favorite quiz shows:  Jeopardy and Who Wants to be a Millionaire.

Lines:  I despise airport security lines.  I hate the fact they are necessary.  I hate that they are so long.  I hate that they are invasive and demeaning.  I hate that you have to remove your shoes whilst trying to keep an eye on the items you've placed on the belt for X-ray.

More on lines:  When I was in high school and college in New York, I was a regular on the Saturday morning line to purchase standing room tickets for the upcoming week at the Metropolitan Opera.  There were quite a few "character" regulars, as well as some very nice fellow opera fanatics.

Yet more on lines:  People enjoy being in the supermarket while I am there, because they know that whichever I line I select for myself is  the slowest moving one and therefore know which one to avoid.

Regarding G&S:  Every time I've heard G&S, I've enjoyed it, but, for whatever reason, I have not pursued the G&S oeuvre the way I have other varieties of music.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2003, 02:25:32 PM »

Yes, the tree is quite fetching.  Somehow, though, I feel it needs a touch more red!

DR Ron has been watching THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN too much quoting the infamous Mrs. McGraw.

Yes, red icicles would have just finished it off, but they just weren't at the store where I was shopping, and I was determined I wasn't going to look all over town. Maybe next year!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up