Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ROLLING STONE GATHERS NO MOSS  (Read 34417 times)

FJL

Re:THE ROLLING STONE GATHERS NO MOSS
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2007, 08:16:50 PM »

The article said that Marlette was visiting Mississippi to help a group of high school students with the musical version of his syndicated comic strip, "Kudzu."  :(

MBarnum

« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2007, 08:16:55 PM »

By the way TD, where do you normally purchase your Bollywoods?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »

Very sad news about Doug Marlette. He was the editorial cartoonist for many, many years for THE CHARLOTTE OBSERVER before moving to Atlanta. I think his Pulitzer Prize may have been shared between his work on the OBSERVER and the Atlanta paper he worked for (CONSTITUTION? JOURNAL?) during the year he switched over.

Anyway, very sorry to read about this.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Michael

« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2007, 08:20:13 PM »

Well I book my ticket for Montreal. Can't wait haven't been there in a while. (leaving in 2 weeks)

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2007, 08:20:28 PM »

Next, I watched SKYJACKED. I'm not sure I had ever seen this before, but it was as terrible as described. The ending was ludicrous, and while I enjoyed seeing the people in the cast, the script was numbingly bad and direction flat as a pancake.

This turkey was actually the 15th highest grossing movie of 1972! (I just looked it up.)

MBarnum

« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2007, 08:21:13 PM »

And another death to report. He sure made it to a ripe old age and I just watched him the other night in the 1936 film 36 HOURS TO KILL.

Charles Lane

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) -- Charles Lane, the prolific character actor whose name was little known but whose crotchety persona and roles in hundreds of films made him instantly recognizable to generations of moviegoers, died Monday, his son said. He was 102.

Lane, whose career spanned more than 60 years, appeared in such film classics as "It's a Wonderful Life," "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" and "Twentieth Century." He also had a recurring role as the scheming railroad man, Homer Bedloe, on the 1960s TV sitcom "Petticoat Junction" and appeared often on "I Love Lucy."

His crisp, stage-trained voice and no-nonsense appearance made him a natural for playing authority figures. He was a judge in "God Is my Partner," a prosecutor in "Call Northside 777," a priest in "Date With an Angel" and a member of Clark Gable's newspaper editorial board in "Teacher's Pet."

Although the roles provided a good living, Lane objected to being typecast.

....He turned to the stage for variety, appearing in a wide range of roles in more than 100 plays, most of them at the storied Pasadena Playhouse.

Lane was working in the insurance business and dabbling in theater company productions at night when Irving Pichell, a well-known actor of the time, advised him to study at Pasadena.

He was eventually spotted by a Warner Bros. scout and cast in his first movie, an Edward G. Robinson-James Cagney melodrama, "Smart Money," in 1931.

Lane remained at Warner Bros., sometimes working in three or four pictures a day. He would be rushed from one set to another and handed his few lines.

In 1934, Frank Capra, then on his rise to prominence, cast Lane in a horse-racing film, "Broadway Bill." Capra liked the actor's work so much he included him in nine more movies, including "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" and "You Can't Take It With You." In Capra's "It's a Wonderful Life," he was a rent collector who shocks his boss, the evil Lionel Barrymore character, by telling him that hero James Stewart's character is a good businessman.

Lane became good friends with Lucille Ball when she was a chorus girl and he was cast in RKO musicals, and she went on to cast him regularly in her 1950s TV show, often as an impatient bureaucrat at odds with the bumbling Lucy.

Lane continued to act into his 90s, and when he accepted an award from cable television's TV Land channel in honor of his 100th birthday, he made a point of saying he was still available for work.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:23:03 PM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2007, 08:21:33 PM »

Next, I finished Season 2 of DANTE'S COVE. Some very contrived cliffhangers to lead us to Season 3, but as usual, the boys were very, very lovely to look at (a Jerome Kern reference).

Matt H.

« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2007, 08:22:22 PM »

And another death to report. He sure made it to a ripe old age and I just watched him the other night in the 1936 film 36 HOURS TO KILL.

Charles Lane

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) -- Charles Lane, the prolific character actor whose name was little known but whose crotchety persona and roles in hundreds of films made him instantly recognizable to generations of moviegoers, died Monday, his son said. He was 102.

Lane, whose career spanned more than 60 years, appeared in such film classics as "It's a Wonderful Life," "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town" and "Twentieth Century." He also had a recurring role as the scheming railroad man, Homer Bedloe, on the 1960s TV sitcom "Petticoat Junction" and appeared often on "I Love Lucy."

His crisp, stage-trained voice and no-nonsense appearance made him a natural for playing authority figures. He was a judge in "God Is my Partner," a prosecutor in "Call Northside 777," a priest in "Date With an Angel" and a member of Clark Gable's newspaper editorial board in "Teacher's Pet."

Although the roles provided a good living, Lane objected to being typecast.

Oh, me. One of my favorite character actors! So sad to read this.

Michael

« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2007, 08:23:45 PM »

Lots of work to catch up on
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2007, 08:23:58 PM »

I decided to revisit SHOCK TO THE SYSTEM tonight. I got about 2/3 of the way through before 11 p.m. arrived, so I'll finish it tomorrow.

I also think tomorrow I'll be watching JESSE JAMES which has been sitting here a few days, and, of course, more MURDER SHE WROTE

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2007, 08:24:46 PM »

DRLaura, what will you do if the minister leaves & you haven't found a replacement yet?

PRAY
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Michael

« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2007, 08:26:49 PM »

Charles Lane lived to be a 102! WoW!

I also remember him on Bewitched as various clients of McMahon and Tate. Perhaps most memorably on an episode from the first season when Samantha took him to the North Pole to see Santa Claus
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2007, 08:30:47 PM »

Well off to slumberland.

Everyone try to post some more
Never stop dreaming.

Adriana Patti

• The best is yet to come!
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2007, 08:34:44 PM »

wow, I laid down at 6:00 and woke up just now! ( my mother also took a nap ).
I guess being apart of an exciting and vital Alumni organization can do that to you.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:34:54 PM by Adriana Patti »
"If we did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves."
-Thomas Edison

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2007, 08:36:57 PM »

DRLaura, what will you do if the minister leaves & you haven't found a replacement yet?

We will either hire an interim minister or else we will have guest speakers.

It's not an "if," it is a "when."
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jason

« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2007, 08:38:46 PM »

I'm so very glad that XANADU got a great review in the Times. I'm not one to claim that a bad review from Brantley can make or break a show, but...it's been known to happen, and to shows that play much bigger houses than the Helen Hayes. It's good to know that old Ben has a sense of humor left. :)

It's hot. I'm not happy about it. I have my A/C up on high and it's not doing much to cool down the jernt. So I just treated myself to an Italian Ice. Now I want another. :D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2007, 08:39:47 PM »

102 Wow! Thanks for posting the photo so we could put the face to the name.

'night

Jason

« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2007, 08:40:28 PM »

Make that Charles Isherwood...not Ben Brantley.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2007, 08:41:35 PM »

Wow. I recognized Charles Lane right away. Goodness -- 102!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

« Reply #229 on: July 10, 2007, 08:45:06 PM »

Can someone explain why a musical like XANADU is playing the Helen Hayes, one of the smallest venues on Broadway? Is it a tiny show?

Matt H.

« Reply #230 on: July 10, 2007, 08:46:03 PM »

Well, I think I'll be heading off to bed now.

Good night!

Cillaliz

« Reply #231 on: July 10, 2007, 08:47:13 PM »

PRAY

LOL, TCB that's exactly what I was thinking...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2007, 08:49:47 PM »

Glad to hear that DR Mbarnum's mum continues to improve... continued vibes!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Cillaliz

« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2007, 08:50:03 PM »

Well, I am exhausted and have an appointment at 8:30 AM. I don't plan to keep setting appointments that early, but they were insistent that we get an early start....and they are bringing money....So I need to get to sleep.   Night all...hopefully tonight I'll sleep all night

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2007, 08:50:05 PM »

Of course, SALAAM NAMASTE is one of my all-time favorites, so, let's all dance to it:

Yada, Yada!

He is not bad lookin'!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

3DDiffusion

« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »

I've been watching episodes from The Saint megaset, starring Roger Moore.

I used to love these shows as a teenager (though not quite as much as The Avengers), but Simon's smirk and the way the women fall over him are starting to irritate me more often than not, these days.

(But The Fiction Makers is still great!)

One Britshow I wish they'd release over here is Department S/Kill Jason King starring Peter Wyngarde. I only saw a couple of episodes 30 years ago but I loved them..wonder if I'd feel the same now.

Also Man in a Suitcase. And Doomwatch!

and The 10%ers!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 08:53:28 PM by 3DDiffusion »
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

Jason

« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2007, 08:52:13 PM »

Can someone explain why a musical like XANADU is playing the Helen Hayes, one of the smallest venues on Broadway? Is it a tiny show?

Yes, it's teeny. The cast totals out at 11 - 14 with swings. And, IMHO, it works perfectly being that small.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #237 on: July 10, 2007, 08:52:26 PM »

Please, the weapons du jour are a coat hangers.

der Brucer

I had also considered that but the shoe was handier at the moment

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #238 on: July 10, 2007, 08:54:52 PM »

Condolences to Marlette's freinds and family

3DDiffusion

« Reply #239 on: July 10, 2007, 08:55:19 PM »

He is not bad lookin'!

The  fashion of having 2 inches - or more - of your underwear exposed looks so stupid...IMHO
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up