Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LOVE YOU, MISS HANNIGAN  (Read 33761 times)

Tomovoz

Re:WE LOVE YOU, MISS HANNIGAN
« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2003, 03:49:06 PM »

When Colin and I first saw "The Shipping News" it was in a cinema in a country town. The audience applauded the film - no-one does that in the city. Maybe country folk are more in tune with the pace of the film and its characters. Just a thought.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2003, 03:50:39 PM »

DRs Emily and Andrea might be able to relate to this.  I was at KFC yesterday in the mall (or for us PFK) and I had these 2 for 1 coupons from the entertainment book. But I had it on the side of the English coupons. And the menus are in french. And I was trying to figure out which item was which.  Anyhow, I am so dumb. Cause of course on the other side is the french version of the coupon. So I just turned it over. And found that KFC's Big Crunch is PFK's Super Croc. And it was actually VERY GOOD. It was a huge chicken breast with tons of the special breading, in a bun with lettuce and dressing. Yum, yum, yum!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 03:59:17 PM by Jennifer »

François

« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2003, 03:52:09 PM »

I'm slightly puzzled at how NO ONE, I mean no one, has mentioned their karma # going up tonight!

If it goes down, oh yes! -- I'm sure TCB or td or... will catch me on that!!...
but go up nobody seems to notice or care....

Such is Human Nature!

Tomovoz

« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2003, 03:52:09 PM »

Interesting idea indeed François. "Baghdad Cafe" as a musical. It could work well.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2003, 03:53:07 PM »

Maybe God works in mysterious ways François.
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2003, 03:54:54 PM »

OOOOoooooohhhhhh...

Just got some karma!

Must be Bear, Danise's dog..;
Or, could it be Miss Vickie?

Thank you, thank you!

I'm so vain that i like it!

Jennifer

« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2003, 03:57:57 PM »

DR Danise asked about our favorite tv shows (and mentioned a soap).  I will say this, my fav show is Y&R. So there. I said it :)

I love the WB: Charmed, Gilmore Girls, 7th Heaven.
I love Trading Spaces. I love Alias. I love Judging Amy. I love Survivor. Oh I'm sure there are more! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2003, 04:00:47 PM »

Hey DR Ben, I'll race you to 500! You have one week!

If I cannot be a queen for a day, I at least deserve to be a goddess :)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2003, 04:01:07 PM »

Just listened to BK's recording of Dorothy Loudon singing Just No Time At All.

Too moved to say much, except that everyone should do this.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

François

« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2003, 04:07:33 PM »

You know... honestly, what i said was not a set up for me to get more karma, honest, your Honor!

But I appreciate the extra new one! Merci!

Danise

« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2003, 04:08:53 PM »

Yes, I've handed my Karma wand to Bear.  He is handing out Karma as we speak!  You laugh but he is very interested in the computer.  He lays his head on the desk many, many times to watch what I'm doing.

He also watches TV.

D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 04:18:26 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2003, 04:10:58 PM »

I must now leave you all to your own devices ( A Pet Shop boys reference for td). Have a good evening everyone. I shall log on again late. I know you are all in the charge of his supremeness. See you next week François.
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2003, 04:16:19 PM »

I also remember thet the article I read was mentioning a French stage version of CHICAGO that originated not long ago in Montréal and that was heading to France, for a February 2004 opening in Paris!!!

Can our Canadian Kimlets and Hainsies confirm there is/was such a French adaptation of the musical, please?

Of course, the writer being rather young, I guess, wrote that it was a stage adaptation of the recent movie!
We all know better!

.... and all that djiazz!!

Michael

« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2003, 04:16:46 PM »

There is one joke that I know that is uniquely Canadian and involves Newfoundland. I hope my fellow Montrealers and Torontoians will know it or get it.

The world will come to an end at midnight. 12:30 in Newfoundland.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2003, 04:18:01 PM »

There are a couple of great Canadian films that involve people from Newfoundland.

The Rowdyman with Gorden Pinsent and Going Down the Road.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #195 on: November 16, 2003, 04:19:57 PM »

Francois:

MONTREAL - The world's first French-language production of the hit musical Chicago is set to make it premiere this summer in Montreal.

The cast held an open rehearsal Wednesday for the Montreal production that opens July 16 at Place des Arts as part of the Just for Laughs Festival.

Quebec actor and composer Manuel Tadros, who did the song translations for the Quebec version of the Hollywood film, translated the book and song lyrics for the show.

Tadros says there are plans to take his translation to France next year. He said he may have to adapt the language to suit a different audience.

"I started my translation with a very good French. And I've adapted it to Quebec a little bit with some expressions we have here. When I have to do it for France I will have to re-work on a French Parisian."

Director Scott Faris, who doesn't speak French, said he hasn't run into any communication problems with the cast.

"I direct them in English, most of them speak English. But there's somebody here to interpret if there's a problem or confusion of any sort."

Quebec singer and comedian Anthony Kavanagh, one of the province's most popular stars, will be coming home from Paris to play the lead male role of Billy Flynn in the production.

Kavanagh lives in Paris and is a celebrity in France.

The film version of Chicago racked up six awards including best film at this year's Oscar ceremony.

The story revolves around women murderers on death row competing for media publicity.

Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #196 on: November 16, 2003, 04:22:30 PM »

Holy moley on rye, I go watch a movie and when I come back we're about to cross the 200 post mark.  We are white hot here at haineshisway.com, we are sizzling like fried onions.

I totally agree about The Night of the Hunter - I hadn't seen the art for the workshop.  Of course, our CD cover was by the wonderful John Alvin, who is a real movie poster artist (he also did my Drat! The Cat! cover, which is equally wonderful).  I never thought he do the covers, especially for the money we had, but he did and he did a great job creating them - they went through various stages to get them right but NOTH is just a wonderful piece of work.  Mr. Alvin, for those who might not know, created the original movie poster art for Blazing Saddles, Phantom of the Paradise, ET, The Lion King and many others - he also did the very elegant main title paintings for Victor/Victoria.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #197 on: November 16, 2003, 04:23:00 PM »

Ron the Libertarian :) ...

I am actually with you on keeping the availability of peanuts open on flights, kindergarten playgrounds, etc if people are simply phobic of the unmentionable legume and not severely allergic like me.

I admit that my fear is irrational but some people really actually are unable to be in contact with the traces of peanut oil that start flying around when you munch on the nuts for health reasons so I understand why the steps in public places have been taken.  

However, I also think that the whole "no-peanuts" allowed thing also needs to consider the fact that many people who are VERY allergic to peanuts also have equal allergic reactions to sesame and corn products.  Just wait until you have a popcorn ban on playgrounds too...  

I was not aware sesame and corn products could have the same reaction as peanuts.  Peanuts don't bother me, however I have had some rather unpleasant reactions to various foods.  I assure you, it is not fun when you can't breathe.  Therefore I am sympathetic to the banning of peanuts in certain locations.  I will admit this would have been very difficult for school lunches, especially for my vegetarian children.

François

« Reply #198 on: November 16, 2003, 04:29:12 PM »

It's true, it's true!
The Crown has made it clear......

C B C   A r t s C a n a d a - A r t s   N e w s   :
------------------------------------------------------------------------
First French version of musical Chicago set for Montreal stage

Rebecca Million, The Arts Report

MONTREAL - The world's first French-language production of the hit musical Chicago is set to make it premiere this summer in Montreal.

The cast held an open rehearsal Wednesday for the Montreal production that opens July 16 at Place des Arts as part of the Just for Laughs Festival.

Quebec actor and composer Manuel Tadros, who did the song translations for the Quebec version of the Hollywood film, translated the book and song lyrics for the show.

Tadros says there are plans to take his translation to France next year. He said he may have to adapt the language to suit a different audience.

"I started my translation with a very good French. And I've adapted it to Quebec a little bit with some expressions we have here. When I have to do it for France I will have to re-work on a French Parisian."

Director Scott Faris, who doesn't speak French, said he hasn't run into any communication problems with the cast.

"I direct them in English, most of them speak English. But there's somebody here to interpret if there's a problem or confusion of any sort."

Quebec singer and comedian Anthony Kavanagh, one of the province's most popular stars, will be coming home from Paris to play the lead male role of Billy Flynn in the production.

Kavanagh lives in Paris and is a celebrity in France.

The film version of Chicago racked up six awards including best film at this year's Oscar ceremony.

The story revolves around women murderers on death row competing for media publicity.

For more arts news, listen to The Arts Report weekdays at 7:12 a.m., 8:12 a.m. and 5:55 p.m. on CBC Radio Two.

Copyright © 2002 Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - All Rights Reserved

Michael

« Reply #199 on: November 16, 2003, 04:30:32 PM »

Holy moley on rye, I go watch a movie and when I come back we're about to cross the 200 post mark.  We are white hot here at haineshisway.com, we are sizzling like fried onions.

I totally agree about The Night of the Hunter - I hadn't seen the art for the workshop.  Of course, our CD cover was by the wonderful John Alvin, who is a real movie poster artist (he also did my Drat! The Cat! cover, which is equally wonderful).  I never thought he do the covers, especially for the money we had, but he did and he did a great job creating them - they went through various stages to get them right but NOTH is just a wonderful piece of work.  Mr. Alvin, for those who might not know, created the original movie poster art for Blazing Saddles, Phantom of the Paradise, ET, The Lion King and many others - he also did the very elegant main title paintings for Victor/Victoria.  

Never realize the work that John Alvin has done. It really is a lost art these days. So many times a poster's art work is what people think about when they mention the movie.

I remember waiting in line to see the Poseidon Adventure and looking at the wonderful art work of its poster. I only wished it really depicted an actually scene in the movie.

Never stop dreaming.

François

« Reply #200 on: November 16, 2003, 04:32:52 PM »

MDS,

Great minds think alike!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #201 on: November 16, 2003, 04:33:09 PM »

Vegetarian children?  I didn't know there were such things.  I, myself, am not a vegetarian or a child.  For example, last night I had prime rib.  I also ate some little fishies known as clams in my chowder.  Today I had bacon with my eggs.  I have no bad reactions to any food except, funnily, that purple cabbage they use in salads - for some reason that makes my lips balloon up sometimes.  I do, however, feel there should be a popcorn ban on playgrounds because popcorn can lead to evil things.

Michael

« Reply #202 on: November 16, 2003, 04:34:25 PM »

Ah gee, Francois! I think I posted it first  :'(
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 04:36:45 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: November 16, 2003, 04:35:02 PM »

I feel that we might just make 200 posts today.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #204 on: November 16, 2003, 04:35:29 PM »

I myself was/am a vegetarian child, and I can tell you with certainty, BK, that we do exist.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Andrea

« Reply #205 on: November 16, 2003, 04:43:51 PM »

DRs Emily and Andrea might be able to relate to this.  I was at KFC yesterday in the mall (or for us PFK) and I had these 2 for 1 coupons from the entertainment book.

DR Jennifer: I hate those coupons! We've had sooo much trouble with them. We keep going to places (as do our other friends) and have them rejected despite the fact that they shouldn't be.

My mom spent 45 minutes trying to order pizza tonight just to get someone to accept those damn coupons.

But PFK is god.

Andrea

« Reply #206 on: November 16, 2003, 04:45:15 PM »

There is one joke that I know that is uniquely Canadian and involves Newfoundland. I hope my fellow Montrealers and Torontoians will know it or get it.

The world will come to an end at midnight. 12:30 in Newfoundland.

Love it.

Michael

« Reply #207 on: November 16, 2003, 04:50:20 PM »

Anyone seen or heard of this?

Never stop dreaming.

François

« Reply #208 on: November 16, 2003, 04:53:31 PM »

Yes, you did Mike, yes, you did!

And no, you're not Mr Cellophane!

And... THANK YOU!

I've found a review of it which was so so; it took the critic, of English expression, some time to warm up to listening to the songs in French!!!

"Razzledazzle them!" becomes "Ensorcèle-les" which is quite a French tonguetwister!

I, for one, would love to play Bill Flynn!
And, contrary to my almost twin brother, agewise, Richard Gere I could do my own TAP dancing!

François

« Reply #209 on: November 16, 2003, 04:59:34 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up