Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: WE LOVE YOU, MISS HANNIGAN  (Read 32842 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WE LOVE YOU, MISS HANNIGAN
« on: November 16, 2003, 12:39:27 AM »

Now that you've read the notes (and I do hope you've read them as they're quite lengthy and written from the heart), it's time to do the topic of discussion.  Go to it, dear readers, and let's show these people what we're made of.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2003, 12:05:37 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:WE LOVE YOU, MISS HANNIGAN
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 12:59:27 AM »

Thank you BK for sharing those special memories of Miss Loudon. My first memory of seeing her on TV was in a TV Tony awards presentation when she on the top of a car. I was enchanted by her magic from that moment. I also appreciated reading your views on "Gypsy". The AL version is a special favourite as I saw her do the show in London. The BM should have worked but did not. I have grown fonder of the film as time has passed. When I was in my final year of Seconday School (Snr high?) the girls of our year started our School concert (traditionally organised, auditioned etc by the final year students) with "Let Us Entertain You". I think reheasals for that concert was the first time I had ever heard the score. I was only aware of "Small World" as a "B" side to the We Five hit "You Were on My Mind" a few years later. I did not become a fully fledged musicals fan until the early 1970's.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 01:19:52 AM »

What wonderful notes, BK. I'm sure Ms. Loudon is in a much better place now, free of illness and full of showtunes.

And what an accurate dissection of the Roz Russell version of GYPSY. I knew there was something askew, but I wasn't able to pinpoint the problem. I must agree, if her songs were in higher keys, she'd rank right up there with the Merm's Rose.

I obtained a copy of the Lansbury recording from a guy at MTI the other day. I can tell that Ms. Lansbury was amazing, but I can really only stand to listen to the overture, Gypsy's "Let Me Entertain You" sequence and "Rose's Turn." The rest of it sort of bores me. :-\ I'm sure they were all wonderful onstage. I do think, though, that it's pretty amazing to actually hear the transformation from Louise to Gypsy in Ms. Charisse's voice during the strip sequence. Her "Pack up your apples, girls, and back to the trees" is tres sexy!

And Natalie Wood was wonderful in just about everything she did (I haven't seen all of her work, so I have to speak generically), and was always beautiful, but as someone pointed out earlier this week, when she walks out of the dressing room and drops the robe and you see her in that cobalt blue gown, she can certainly take your breath away. I agree, she's a pretty girl, Mama.

When I can afford it, I would like to get the other recordings of GYPSY--no matter the quality--just so I can compare and contrast them. So far I only have the original B'way and the London recordings and that's it. I have a long way to go...

Three days more to cake and pointy party hats and colored pantaloons! Whee!!

Michael

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 03:24:57 AM »

Thank you Bruce for the wonderful rememberance of Dorothy Loudon. I had the pleasure of seeing perform three times in NYC. Annie, Ballroom and Noises Off. She was always one of the hightlights of the Tony Awards whenever she performed. He recorded performances on DVD include My Favorite Broadway, Broadway's Lost Treasures and Sondheim at Carnegie Hall

« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 03:32:13 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 03:43:01 AM »

And I would like to add her three solo albums. One I just found out about.

and below the one that I discovered yesterday

If ayone is yesterday I can post the album covers from the Ben Bagley series.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 05:12:30 AM »

Hey, Jason, great picture. I've always loved that line from Gypsy.

It's early in the morning and I just woke up a while ago so I'll come back and post something coherent later.

Beautiful notes about Miss Loudon, BK. Thanks.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 05:15:09 AM »

Forgot.

Welcome wlajb. You certainly made up for not posting. You helped keep the board awake last night and helped to push us over 200!

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 05:35:03 AM »

Donna Murphy is sitting out more performances this weekend.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/15/arts/theater/15TOWN.html

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2003, 05:43:43 AM »

For anyone interested there are at least 2 threads at http://www.talkinbroadway.com/forum with stories about Dorothy Loudon.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 06:57:22 AM »

Oh, lovely remembrances about Dorothy Louden...and wasn't she also a regular on the old Gary Moore show on, I think, Monday nights.....maybe Tuesdays....that wonderful, wonderful year!

Thanks DR MDS for sharing all the album covers.  Great stuff.

MR BK's personal remembrances of working with her are so nice, and the day's notes couldn't be more perfectly titled!  Yes, Miss Hannigan, we do.....you dumb hotel!  :'(

DR RON - glad you enjoyed the tape, and there was no other way to end it than with Dinah! M-wahhhhhhhhhhh!  ;D

TCB I will finish your tape today.  Email me your snail mail address please.  ;)

My topic for the day.....WAY back in the 1950's there was a television show called The Millionaire, wherein John Beresford Tipton a multi-billionaire would send his secretary Michael out to give a perfect stranger a check for one million dollars, tax free.  It was a lot MORE money then, but what would YOU do if you were given one million dollars (tax free)?  ???

I have to agree with all that is being written about the different Gypsy actresses playing Rose, and it is too bad that Lisa had to sing "down" - she gave an interview once and talked about that very thing.  There is a rumour that there is a bit of Rose Marie mixed in there as well.

My favorite Rose was never recorded, and I mentioned her here before, Miss Gisele MacKenzie!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2003, 07:05:45 AM »

One million dollars. Hmmm. While I certainly would use it for some fun things, the practical part of me would create an income-producing annuity so that I could use some of the rest for a trip back to Europe and when there is enough income from the annuity, I would retire much earlier than planned, do volunteer work and live an easy and happy life with my Anthony. Perhaps enough could be found in the million to mount a production of a show we both have wanted to do for years (though I'm now too old to play one of the leads, there are a couple of good character roles I would love to do) Boy Meets Boy (not remotely related to the recent Bravo gay dating show) a fun little gay musical by Bill Solly and Donald Ward that takes place during the time of the Wallis Simpson scandal in England.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2003, 07:28:27 AM »

A reminder that a new DOUBLE entry of Juliana's Journal was posted late late late last night if you haven't checked it out!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2003, 07:55:13 AM »

Lovely remembrance of Dorothy Loudon, bk. Thank you for those memories. Yes, I remember Dorothy on that car while the guys around her sang MAME. That must have been from the 1984 year when the TOnys did tributes to Sondheim, Kander and Ebb, and Herman, who ended up winning the Best Score Tony that year for LA CAGE. Dorothy was always a hoot on the Tonys because, like Nathan Lane, you were never quite sure what she was going to do.

I have to respectfully disagree with bk about Lisa Kirk's renditions in GYPSY. They are plenty powerful enough for my edification. I really think the recorded soundtrack from the film of GYPSY is my favorite rendition of the score, even above the Merman original. But that's purely personal taste.

Oh, boy, do I agree about Tyne Daly's recording. Disgraceful. And I saw her in the show and while she was certainly a good actress, I didn't understand what all the hosannahs were all about. I want those Rose songs to blow me away, and she just did not have the vocal equipment to achieve that.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2003, 07:59:18 AM »

I love Dorothy's rendition of "Fifty Per Cent" on the Tonys, and I treasured the shot of the audience after she finished with Angela Lansbury, madly applauding her with tears in her eyes. A few minutes later, of course, Angela carried off the Tony over Dorothy.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2003, 08:02:44 AM »

It's 11:00am on the east coast and this is all of the postings!!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2003, 08:06:15 AM »

Well, since this is a free for all day, we can set our own topic. Would you believe that I did not turn my TV on all day yesterday. THAT doesn't happen very often!

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2003, 08:08:04 AM »

BOY MEETS BOY. I have the script for that musical and the cast album, but I've never seen a production of it mounted on the stage. Looks like it would be such a charming little show.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2003, 08:08:39 AM by Matt H. »

Michael

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2003, 08:22:29 AM »

I love Dorothy's rendition of "Fifty Per Cent" on the Tonys, and I treasured the shot of the audience after she finished with Angela Lansbury, madly applauding her with tears in her eyes. A few minutes later, of course, Angela carried off the Tony over Dorothy.

Yes I remember those moments you always expect some kind of adlib. I remember at the 50th anniversary of the Tonys she sang and dances a bit of Easy Street and she add libbed "She's still doing it folks". The performers around her genuinely laughed and applauded her. I will miss her.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2003, 08:29:10 AM »

Not a good weekend we lost another.

Stephen Bates, 50; Theater Conductor and Composer, Is Dead

THE NEW YORK TIMES

Published: November 16, 2003

Stephen Bates, a musical theater conductor, composer and arranger, died on Nov. 5 in Chicago, where he lived. He was 50.

The cause was AIDS-related lymphoma, said his partner, Larry Baker.

Mr. Bates worked most recently as the music director for the national touring company of "The Lion King" in Chicago. Highlights of his career include "Meet Me in St. Louis" on Broadway and on tour, and "Sunday in the Park With George" at the Goodman Theater in Chicago.

He wrote songs for "Naked Boys Singing," a 1999 Off Broadway musical for which he was the arranger and music director, and for the children's television show "Barney and Friends."

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2003, 08:30:55 AM »

From the NY TIMES

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2003, 08:32:23 AM »

Yes, I remember reading this in VARIETY a few days ago. Sad indeed.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2003, 08:42:14 AM »

Bruce your tribute to Dorothy Loudon was beautiful and Michael Shayne the album covers were wonderful.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2003, 08:43:03 AM »

BK--what a beautiful tribute to Dorothy Loudon....it made my eyes tear up a bit.  I don't think I have had as much exposure to her work as other DR's, but she's soo terrific on the OCR of Annie and I also loved seeing her perform "Losing My Mind/You Could Drive a Person Crazy" on Sondheim: A Celebration at Carnegie Hall.  And of course, her "No Time at All" supasses Irene Ryan's for me.  I think that she could have been a terrific Mama Rose too.  

Speaking of which, I have a confession to make.  I have never seen the Roz Russell version of Gypsy.  I don't know...I'm such a Merman fan that I've refused to see it on principle.  I know it's just a horrible thing to admit to, and I probably will rent it sometime in the near future.  Now, I feel that I need to.

Hmmm....I was wondering.  I've never heard the Tyne Daly recording, although I can imagine her voice isn't quite at the level of other Roses.  But did she act the part well at all?  Did she give any unique spin to Mama Rose?

(From yesterday's posts)

Andrea--lol, thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the production of Black Comedy you saw!  It was a lot of fun to do...I had never played a role quite like Ferny, I will say that much!

Jennifer--I'm not sure if movie tickets work any differently in Canada, but I've always just bought tickets (similar to theatre tickets but smaller) and then they are torn in half.  I simply hold on to the stubs for my collection.  Lately though, I put up a little chart on my wall for them and hung them up.  I have them subdivided under good, mediocre and bad!  

td

• td
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2003, 08:44:27 AM »

I think that my favorite moment of Miss Loudon on TV comes from the Tony Award Broadcast where she performed Gershwin's "Vodka."  It's laugh out loud funny, totally a hoot and positively brilliant.  
Does anyone remember what year's broadcast that was?  I would assume that it's from whatever year the Urine, i mean Uris theater changed its name to the Gerswhin.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2003, 08:53:03 AM »

I think that my favorite moment of Miss Loudon on TV comes from the Tony Award Broadcast where she performed Gershwin's "Vodka."  It's laugh out loud funny, totally a hoot and positively brilliant.  
Does anyone remember what year's broadcast that was?  I would assume that it's from whatever year the Urine, i mean Uris theater changed its name to the Gerswhin.

You are right!  I forgot about that year, She was so funny, It was more me the highlight. I also remember acting in a play that night and taped the awards but they ran over and I missed the last 15 minutes when the actual name change happened.

BTW is the Gershwin theater named for both brothers or just George or just Ira? I think I read somewhere that is really is just George.
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2003, 08:59:09 AM »

I am really sorry to hear about Dorothy Loudon.  I never saw her in person but loved her in everything I saw her in on TV (from Garry Moore on) to movies (She was great in "Garbo Talks" among others).  Always loved her voice too.

Reading these here notes and posts is becoming a full-time occupation these days what with the sheer numbers (and even the opaque numbers).  I'm still on Friday's notes.

As for Friday, I finally got something in something else. :o ;) :o
 One of those things was a cassette in the car.  It was a compilation tape I'd made for DRMusicGuy years ago.  It had Margaret Rutherford reciting "The Ballad of Dan McGrew," The Andrews Sisters singing "Hold Tight" and Anita Ellis (it was Anita Ellis who dubbed for Rita Hayworth in "Gilda" wasn't it?) singing "Put the Blame on Mame" among many other assorted snippets.

In the CD player, John McGlinn Conducting arranagements of Gershwin, Porter and Kern Overtures--- a fantastic double CD.  The "Damsel in Distress" Suite and "Funhouse" Sequence alone are heaven.

I love "Boy Meets Boy" and was lucky enough to see the original cast.  I love that album and the vocals (mainly because that was the cast I saw) but really like the Minnesota production that DRBen told me about.  I bought a copy of the album at Footlight Records this last summer and really love hearing the songs filled out with an orchestra and not just a synthesizer and drums.  It's a cute show and still holds up well.  I wish I had held up as well.

AND on the "Gypsy" thread, I adore Natalie Wood in the part of Louise.  (and just about everything else she did) Adored the whole thing.  As I've said before  that was the first (and for years ONLY production) I'd seen of "Gypsy."  I grew up  with the soundtrack not the Original Cast album.  Love the OC album(nad would have ginven ANYTHING to see Merman in the part), but still adore the movie.  I have since seen local productions (some of them decent), the Midler version (which was a far better adaptation than I expected from ABC after they screwd up all those other musicals) and finally saw the Bernadette Peters version (WITH Ms. Peters!).  Every version gives me a thrill in some way just because it's such a great show.  And even in the local productions, there is always something to love.

I'm off to do chores, take Sugar for a walk and go to work.  Then to the gym and to a fitting.  

I like boat races.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2003, 09:00:30 AM »

Kerry--Just don't claim you're fat!   :P

td

• td
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2003, 09:01:23 AM »

Though films for Ms. Loudon were few, she's capable of upstaging both Kevin Spacey and John Cusack in her brief, brilliant scene in Clint Eastwood's MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL.

Kerry

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2003, 09:01:35 AM »

Maya, dear Maya, you ARE a doll.
I like boat races.

td

• td
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2003, 09:02:50 AM »

I wonder (as I wander) if DR Kerry will be wearing a hat. . .
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up