Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WHEN THE MOOD STRIKES ME  (Read 37055 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:WHEN THE MOOD STRIKES ME
« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2005, 07:10:32 PM »

Great pictures, Cillaliz!

And you too, Jason!  Especially the peacock.  On my work computer, I have a picture of an albino peacock!  It's beautiful...all the feathers and everything are perfectly white.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jason

« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2005, 07:11:14 PM »

A blurry gorilla who is six months' pregnant...

Jason

« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2005, 07:12:10 PM »

And after six hours of walking the zoo, one very tired little kitty...

Cillaliz

« Reply #183 on: September 03, 2005, 07:12:52 PM »

Ok, one more, this is a lousy pic of me, but I'm with New Orleans' own Sister Helen Prejean - of Dead Man Walking Fame.  The little nun who met personally with the Pope and got him to change the Catholic Church's position on the death penalty

Cillaliz

« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2005, 07:13:41 PM »

Sorry that's so big, I couldn't figure out how to make it smaller after I posted it

George

« Reply #185 on: September 03, 2005, 07:14:49 PM »

As for the official Topic of the Day of Showstoppers, I've seen a lot of local stuff that get standing ovations and don't really "deserve" them...and a few that do, but I can't remember specifically if I've been in the audience for a "deserved" actual showstopper. :-\
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 07:16:39 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: September 03, 2005, 07:14:59 PM »

Love the zoo pictures. Especially now that I am relieved about the animals at the zoo in NO

George

« Reply #187 on: September 03, 2005, 07:16:06 PM »

Sorry that's so big, I couldn't figure out how to make it smaller after I posted it

It's fine on my computer.

Ginny

« Reply #188 on: September 03, 2005, 07:16:15 PM »

DRs Cillaliz and Jason - thanks for all the photos tonight.  They've kept me entertained while I've sat here at my desk, sorting papers and shredding.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #189 on: September 03, 2005, 07:18:14 PM »

Well, I must be going.  I have to walk my sister's dog and get something to eat, then go back to the house without a computer that I'm house-sitting.  Goodnight all!  And again, thanks for the pictures, Cillaliz and Jason! ;D

td

• td
« Reply #190 on: September 03, 2005, 07:18:25 PM »

Judy Kaye played Sally, but Karen Morrow sang "I'm Still Here."  My absolute most favorite performance (that I've seen...not just heard) of the song.

I believe I have a videotape of this production sitting around somewhere. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

« Reply #191 on: September 03, 2005, 07:19:42 PM »

I believe I have a videotape of this production sitting around somewhere. . .

:o And when can I expect a copy???? ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #192 on: September 03, 2005, 07:20:02 PM »

Yeah! Tucker Carlson just said they walked through the French Quarter and none of the antique stores or art galleries were looted and they all looked like they were in great shape!  Only the stores that sold food, cigarettes etc were broken into.  Hmm, that sure makes it seem like looting for survival...

And it's the center of decadence that survived. Guess the god is getting even people were mistaken....

Jason

« Reply #193 on: September 03, 2005, 07:20:28 PM »

I took 52 pictures with my digital camera and then it died. Right before we stepped into the butterfly garden it froze up - the lens wouldn't even retract it was so dead. So I bought a disposable camera before we headed over to Tiger Mountain and got several close-ups (you're literally only separated from them by 2 inches of glass) and many pictures of various sea lions, vultures, African lions, bison and eagles. Very exciting stuff.

I'm thinking of subscribing to the Wildlife Conservation Society so I can get a year-round pass to the Zoos and Aquarium. It's only $90, and considering the utter enjoyment I got from seeing the animals today, I think it'd be a great place to go to relax and just enjoy a bit of nature. I caught myself squealing - literally - when I'd see an animal come out to say hello. I snapped so many pictures, but sadly only about 40% of them are any good. Guess I'll have to go back and take more! :)

td

• td
« Reply #194 on: September 03, 2005, 07:21:40 PM »

:o And when can I expect a copy???? ;)

When I finally get around to organizing the darned videotapes - so far, I have one box organized of Tony Awards and Rosie O'Donnell shows. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2005, 07:23:07 PM »

At the store a couple of days ago, there was a run on the makings for tacos.  Don't know why, there wasn't a sale, but people just had a hankering for tacos.

No such runs on anything specific tonight, that I could see.

Earlier, I had leftover spaghetti, which was pretty danged good, if I say so and made it myself, and I do and did.

Tonight, I'm finishing up the leftover pot roast and making hash, with beets on the side.  Should be yummers enough.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

« Reply #196 on: September 03, 2005, 07:23:19 PM »

When I finally get around to organizing the darned videotapes - so far, I have one box organized of Tony Awards and Rosie O'Donnell shows. . .

I can wait! ;D

George

« Reply #197 on: September 03, 2005, 07:26:46 PM »

Okay, now I really have to go.  Night!

Ginny

« Reply #198 on: September 03, 2005, 07:28:47 PM »

Tomorrow, assuming the weather's as beautiful as today, we're going to the first annual "Reliving Veterans' History Festival" on the grounds of the Dayton VA Medical Center.  Maybe I'll have interesting photos to post tomorrow night!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #199 on: September 03, 2005, 07:29:52 PM »

Here's to the French Quarter....did I mention one of my trips was on Halloween

Ginny

« Reply #200 on: September 03, 2005, 07:45:35 PM »

Cillaliz - what about the beautiful home in the Garden District?  Have you heard about how it held up to the hurricane?

Cillaliz

« Reply #201 on: September 03, 2005, 07:48:21 PM »

Cillaliz - what about the beautiful home in the Garden District?  Have you heard about how it held up to the hurricane?

I haven't heard. I did find this photo that seems to be in the neighborhood

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: September 03, 2005, 08:05:01 PM »

I'm restless.  Might have to go for a walk or something.  I've watched two Astaire/Rogers pictures, and was just watching The Outsiders and comparing the original version (which I have on DVD but have never watched) with Mr. Coppola's "rethought" version all these years later, which I got an early copy of.  He's added twenty-two minutes to his film, which originally ran a crisp ninety-one minutes, and which now runs a not so crisp 113 minutes.  Almost ten of those minutes are a new opening to the film.  It's very interesting watching both versions.  The original just bangs you into the film, but the new opening (which was the way the film was shot), starts with a fight (which explains C. Thomas Howell's neck wound in subsequent scenes - it went unexplained in the original version) and sets up the rivalry between the greasers and the socs, as well as introducing in fuller form Patrick Swayze, Tom Cruise, Emilio Estevez, and Ralph Macchio.  However, you basically get all the same information in the drive-in scene which opens the film, so I understand why Coppola took it out.  I do wish they had both versions on the new DVD - I really detest these "rethought" versions when the original is not included.  Mr. Coppola made the film he wanted to make - at that point, he didn't have people telling him what he could and couldn't do, and so to suddenly, twenty-three years later, decide to rethink it would be like some painter going back to his painting and redoing it just because he "rethought" it.  It's something else if he paints a new version but the original is there at the same time.  But, if you don't go out and buy the original DVD of The Outsiders (who knows if it will still be available) then you don't have the film that was shown in theaters.  Mr. Coppola has also added a bunch of Elvis Presley songs over scenes which played in glorious silence before, thereby pandering to today's ADD kiddie audiences who can't go five seconds without music.  And, what has classic Elvis to do with a film set in 1966?

Ginny

« Reply #203 on: September 03, 2005, 08:06:36 PM »

I haven't heard. I did find this photo that seems to be in the neighborhood

Oh, my.  Well, I'll hope for the best.  I'm signing off for the night - see y'all tomorrow!

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2005, 08:09:38 PM »

Mr. Coppola made the film he wanted to make - at that point, he didn't have people telling him what he could and couldn't do, and so to suddenly, twenty-three years later, decide to rethink it would be like some painter going back to his painting and redoing it just because he "rethought" it.  It's something else if he paints a new version but the original is there at the same time.  

It would be sort of like da Vinci re-thinking Mona Lisa and now she's frowning.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2005, 08:09:39 PM »

My friends fixed me a scrumptuous dinner of filet mignon, twice baked potatoes, and salad. Chocolate cupcakes for dessert. My goodness, I feel fat and sassy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2005, 08:10:51 PM »

Sounds like a very pleasant Birthday. How wonderful

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2005, 08:12:49 PM »

Have moved from Top Hat to Shall We Dance, but I'm suspecting that watching the Astaire/Rogers films in a row is not a good idea.

You're completely correct. They're wonderful, but like eating one rich dessert after another. So after three of them, I put the box on the shelf and will return to the others at a later date.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2005, 08:14:12 PM »

Oh No, William Rhenquist just died. Bush is going to get another Supreme Court Justice..

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #209 on: September 03, 2005, 08:17:25 PM »

Such lovely photos DRCILLALIZ....glad you could recover them.  And nice ZOO pictures as well, DRJASON.

A visit to HHW is like a trip around the country!

Well....when I was about 13 years old....before DRJOEY was born....I watched JAMBOREE on televisioin.  The character that Kay Medford played was so irrititating and grating and off-putting that I have NEVER been able to LIKE her in anything - ANYTHING else I happen to see her in.....even BUTTERFIELD 8!

The WORST WORST WORST though was when she was the "Uncle Charley" character in a John Forsythe series called "To Rome With Love" - widower Forsythe lived in Rome with his three daughters and Medford was an aunt (or something) who came and irritated the hell out of them, and the audience.  I stopped watching after the first few weeks, because she was just TOO MUCH!!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up