Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: TO THE VICTOR GO THE SPOILS  (Read 26322 times)

FJL

Re:TO THE VICTOR GO THE SPOILS
« Reply #150 on: May 29, 2007, 12:22:40 PM »

I was there when...

Phillip Casnoff was hit on the head by scenery at SHOGUN and they had to cancel the rest of Act II

Idina Menzel had that trapdoor mishap at what turned out (unintentionally) to be her last Broadway perf - so far- of WICKED.  Since there were only five minutes left of the show, the standby went on after they made sure Idina Menzel's injuries were not as serious as originally thought.

When the house malfunctioned and they had to cancel the remainder of Act II of MARY POPPINS

Three times being at Broadway mishaps should be the limit, I guess, so they won't happen in my presence again, I hope.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2007, 12:31:38 PM »

Jennifer, I'm really confused by what you're saying about On the Lot, sorry.  First off, Kenny indeed was there last night--his movie was a really, really bad thing about a taxi driver (it did have some cool color effects in it).  Second, what do you mean by "1 page scripts"?  The last show last week did indeed whittle them down to 18; I'm just not sure what you think you missed.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2007, 12:32:44 PM »

I was there when...

Phillip Casnoff was hit on the head by scenery at SHOGUN and they had to cancel the rest of Act II

Idina Menzel had that trapdoor mishap at what turned out (unintentionally) to be her last Broadway perf - so far- of WICKED.  Since there were only five minutes left of the show, the standby went on after they made sure Idina Menzel's injuries were not as serious as originally thought.

When the house malfunctioned and they had to cancel the remainder of Act II of MARY POPPINS

Three times being at Broadway mishaps should be the limit, I guess, so they won't happen in my presence again, I hope.

So now no one is allowed to mention either the Scottish play or FJL's name before a performance.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2007, 12:41:02 PM »

***May end/great June vibes and assorted percussion instruments***[/color][/size]
for bk

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2007, 12:54:46 PM »

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!"

I am ever wary and fearful of the frumious Bandersnatch!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2007, 12:56:37 PM »

Vibes from Ohio for BK!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2007, 12:59:16 PM »

Jennifer, I'm really confused by what you're saying about On the Lot, sorry.  First off, Kenny indeed was there last night--his movie was a really, really bad thing about a taxi driver (it did have some cool color effects in it).  Second, what do you mean by "1 page scripts"?  The last show last week did indeed whittle them down to 18; I'm just not sure what you think you missed.

What I saw on thursday was the groupings of 3 and then an elimination.

But near the end of the show they gave each person left (i think 24 people maybe) the task to film a 1 page script in one hour.  We never saw that and we never saw the final elimination.

The 1 week to do a 1 minute short film (what we saw last night) was not the same as the task they were told to do near the middle/end of thursday's show.

Okay if you still don't understand what i mean read this. These people are saying the same thing:

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?showtopic=3154569&st=0

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2007, 01:00:38 PM »

This might be a bit graphic for some, but check out this animal kingdom rumble.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2007, 01:04:10 PM »

Apparently there are 2 non-US people on ON THE LOT (that's all i noticed). Zach (the special effects guy) is from canada. And there is a guy with big bushy hair from the UK.  Right now i actually think zach could go far.

Although i think my favorite of the night was the lucky penny one.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2007, 01:09:04 PM »

My mid-morning slumber was greatly disturbed by much agitated barking from outside. I leapt from my bed to see what could be the matter.

The blonds were down in the lower yard raising a grand ruckus - they seem to be intereted in somnething just out the fence. I went down to the other side of their yard to investigate (snakes are common). Buster and Bonnie were barking and digging up a storm, trying to tunnel under the fence. On close inspection I discovered, just on my side of the fence, a fair size box turtle all rolled into a ball.

The dogs were NOT pleased when I removed it from their sight:

I put the poor scared critter down well out of reach and gave it a closer inspection. The shell was vibrating, so life was clearly present. Soon, the shell cracked open a bit and two dark eyes peered out; a few minutes passed, then a head came out. I decided to go get some lettuce and the camera. When I returned the tortise had pulled a "hare" and was long gone.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2007, 01:11:31 PM »

DR JMK - During the half-hour episode last week, right at the end, the finalists were given five different one-page scripts, and were given one hour to shoot them.  They even showed some "previews" of the drama during the shooting.  However, we never saw the one-page script/one-hour to shoot movies.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2007, 01:13:31 PM »

What DR Jennifer posted.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »

Apparently there are 2 non-US people on ON THE LOT (that's all i noticed). Zach (the special effects guy) is from canada. And there is a guy with big bushy hair from the UK.  Right now i actually think zach could go far.

Although i think my favorite of the night was the lucky penny one.

And isn't their a contestant from South Africa as well as South America (Venezuela) as well?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #163 on: May 29, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »

It appears that HDTV makes everything old NEW again.

To be honest, it DOES make films you've seen many times look very different and if it's a good transfer, amazingly three dimensional.

And a true hi-def transfer gives that added sense of depth and sharpness that even the best DVDs can't match.

There's a WHOLE WORLD of viewing pleasure awaiting those who haven't taken the HDTV plunge yet.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #164 on: May 29, 2007, 01:17:24 PM »

Will we never get to page six?

Of course we will.

Matt H.

« Reply #165 on: May 29, 2007, 01:19:06 PM »

I can't believe I left out INSIDE DAISY CLOVER, but I had read it's going to be part of a Natalie Wood set next year, so I guess I've blotted it out of my head.

Jennifer

« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2007, 01:19:38 PM »

And isn't their a contestant from South Africa as well as South America (Venezuela) as well?

I know one woman said she was from spain. But on their bio page i guess it is listed where they live now. Everyone i noticed listed the US but the 2 i mentioned. But you are right.

Jennifer

« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2007, 01:20:40 PM »

Now i wish i would have tried to vote (for ON THE LOT) just to see if i could. But i was so annoyed by what they did that I didn't bother.

Matt H.

« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2007, 01:20:50 PM »

During the late 1960s, ABC began a series of made-for-TV films of famous film and stage properties. Some were awful: LAURA with Lee Raziwell as an example.

But they did a version of A HATFUL OF RAIN with Sandy Dennis that was one of the best things I've ever seen on TV. I would LOVE to have that on DVD.

I also neglected UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE with Sandy Dennis.

Matt H.

« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2007, 01:23:10 PM »

I have a nice afternoon of TV episode watching.

I began with a BONES episode from the first season box that I cued up last night. It was the episode where Booth and Brennan go to LA to investigate the body of a woman found under mysterious circumstances. All of the episodes from season one are really enjoyable, but this one is one of my favorites.

Matt H.

« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2007, 01:25:07 PM »

I was very pleased that my copy of Season two of THE CLOSER finally arrived.

I was relieved that the episodes did receive anamorphic transfers this time around (thank you, Warner Bros.), and the ones I watched looked excellent.

I began with the season premiere, the body of a cop and a dead mob guy found in a warehouse. With the team running on all cylinders in this case, it was enjoyable from beginning to end.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: May 29, 2007, 01:28:23 PM »

I'm going to try not to watch the entire season again in one sitting since they're so entertaining that I don't want the enjoyment to be over so quickly, but I couldn't resist watching one more. This is the first one to feature Frances Sternhagen as Brenda's mother (inspired casting) and involved the suspicious death of a juror during deliberations.

I really love how Lt. Flynn, who was one of her bitterest enemies during all but two of the first season episodes, now has such respect and admiration for Brenda and she returns the respect in kind. (The baseball game episode is coming up, of course!)

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: May 29, 2007, 01:29:25 PM »

I ended the afternoon with another ANGEL episode, this one involving one of Fred's research papers being published and her being called back to lecture by her old physics professor. Many surprises in store for her back there.

Ginny

« Reply #173 on: May 29, 2007, 01:30:09 PM »

Garage sale contributions have been delivered to the venue.  S'pose I can scare up some more stuff before June 8?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #174 on: May 29, 2007, 01:30:20 PM »

Tonight, I will definitely be watching Claude Berri's THE TWO OF US on a new Criterion disc. I should have time to see it and some of the special features on the disc before HOUSE's season finale comes on.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2007, 01:36:43 PM »

I have stopped wishing for any Warners color films from the sixties because they most likely get the color completely wrong, and it's just too nauseating.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2007, 01:37:27 PM »

DR Edisaurus, I very much regret that I forgot to program my machine to tape your gardening special on HGTV yesterday morning while I was in New Jersey.  When I get my new DVR hooked up, such mishaps will be a thing of the past, I hope!

Oh, don't worry---it wasn't THAT special. We're on every weekday morning at 8AM, and I've written and edited about half the shows. Some are better than others...and if I can remember I will mention it when the show I did on the garden I just visited in Alabama airs on July 10th. It is even bigger than when we shot the show.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2007, 01:38:22 PM »

I've been going over music for the last hour or so.  It's so hard to learn music that's not good because badly written music makes no sense, so you're just learning notes that don't go together in any meaningful way.  I really wish I'd said no to this long ago.  Oh, well, I shall endeavor to do my best.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2007, 01:44:43 PM »

Yes, that and a good cosmetic surgeon.

HDTV creates the need for more good cosmetic surgeons!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2007, 01:48:31 PM »

Now, why did my eyes read "executed"?    :P     :)

If I'm found guilty, I'm blaming DR Jose!

Oy! Eight and a half hours of nada!  Around 10:30 they pulled half the room (about 75 people) onto a voir dire.  At 12:30 PM, those of us still waiting were told to go to lunch and return at 2 PM.  I took the R Train up to Union Square, stopped at the Kurt Weill Foundation and picked up the beautiful KW Edition of The Firebrand of Florence.  I got back to the Jury Room around 1:30, and at 3:30 we were told to return tomorrow morning at 9:30 AM.  Took an hour to get back here: two subways and a bus.  Now I'm very tired and I got a lotta catching up to do.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up