Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: PETULANT  (Read 31029 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re:PETULANT
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2007, 09:40:11 AM »

[size=8]PAGE FOUR[/size]
[/color][/b]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2007, 09:42:15 AM »

He is from North Dakota. He is not too bad. My grandparents were big fans of his and even got to meet him once when he was still playing in North Dakota and before he hit the big time.

Dakota, do you ever sleep?   ;)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2007, 09:43:53 AM »

Good Afternoon!

And the prep continues...  I've discovered that she's not familiar with the term mise en place.  -And when you're cooking food for 50(?) people, your mise better be en place!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2007, 09:44:11 AM »

DR Jason - I'll fill you in on the details between shows.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2007, 09:46:14 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  It's an information-waitressing day for me - the new moon makes our patrons almost as weird as a full moon.  Stay tuned...

Good day Ginny!

I can so relate to that...

I have many tales I could regale on that topic however some are not to put on the board...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2007, 09:49:57 AM »

Guess who hasn't arrived yet?  That's right - Mr. Time Warner Early Appointment Man.

I've called twice - fifteen minutes ago I was told definitively that he'd be here in the next fifteen minutes.  Oh, well.  I'll wait until ten, and then they are going to get a phone call they don't like.  It's fascinating that when you ask for an early-morning call because they screwed up the day before that not only do they not care, you're at the end of the appointment spectrum, clearly (between eight and ten).  Fifteen minutes has come and gone and I suspect the next fifteen will come and go, and then I'm leaving.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2007, 09:50:04 AM »

As for the "shilling", well, some people call it promotion.  Hey, it's getting the word out there somehow.  I'm not approving it, I'm just sayin'... ;)

But to play devil's advocate - and this may not be a case where a devil's advocate is needed - but maybe the person really is interested in whatever whoever is doing right now?  And it's all in the timing so to speak.

I used to work with a couple of students at Catholic University who were hounds at finding obscure material for their recitals.  There were more than a few times when they would post a question on a chat board/mailing list regarding the whereabouts of a particular composer, and, coincidentally, that composer just happened to have a new album released, a new show announced, or a production just close.  And a few times they were chided for "shilling", when, in fact, they were truly just looking for a way to contact the person.  All in the timing.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2007, 09:51:12 AM »

Dakota, do you ever sleep?   ;)

When my work schedule allows... My schedule has been very wacky this summer :)
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2007, 09:51:45 AM »

Well, time for me to head in for my matinee and eventual evening show tonight.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2007, 09:51:48 AM »

I noticed I forgot to log out last night :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2007, 09:54:48 AM »

Jose, I agree with what you say, but when a person makes the same post four times, as if they hadn't posted before, something is rotten in the State of Wisconsin.  First post: I just heard that Donald McKayle is doing a new show at NYMF, called Roller Derby.  I can't believe all the great people who are involved with the show.

Second post:  Did you know that Donald McKayle is doing a new show at NYMF, called Roller Derby.  (more stuff about love for Donald here)

Third post: Did you know that Donald McKayle is doing a new show at NYMF?

fourth post: (switching it up) Is Donald McKayle the oldest living director/choregrapher still working?

I mean, really.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2007, 09:57:04 AM »

Instrumental music....

I have a number of different albums that I like

Canadian Brass
Glenn Miller
Benny Goodman
Chuck Mangione
Herb Alpert

Of course there is Irish / Scottish traditional music that I love

The Chieftains, Sean Potts, Seamus Ennis, Cherish the Ladies, Lissa Lynne, Derek Bell (His Irish Harp album is beautiful), Matt Molloy, Altan, Kathryn Tickell, and anything with Scottish Highland Pipes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2007, 09:57:59 AM »

Mr. Time Warner He'll Be There In Fifteen Minutes Man has five minutes left, now that the fifteen has become twenty.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2007, 09:58:42 AM »

Fingers poised to dial Time Warner...  Actually, I may as well dial now since I'll be on hold for ten.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2007, 10:00:15 AM »

I also like Keith Bear and Kevin Locke

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2007, 10:00:46 AM »

I would file a complaint with Better Business Bureau

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2007, 10:03:37 AM »

The voice mail prompts just had the chutzpah to actually say the hold time will exceed ten minutes.  These people will not be happy with me, I'm afraid, and I may ask to go directly to a supervisor.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2007, 10:04:05 AM »

Mr. Time Warner Man has now officially missed the appointment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2007, 10:04:53 AM »

I wish there were a DSL alternative, but DSL doesn't work well in my neighborhood because we're slightly out of the hub.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2007, 10:05:10 AM »

I get frustrated with the voice mail directions... I have a hard time hearing them and they dont always work with a tdd

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2007, 10:05:57 AM »

I would ask to speak to the supervisor. Lord knows I have done it more than once

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2007, 10:07:05 AM »

Bk, I wish you the best in getting everything set for NYMF!!  Knock 'em dead!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2007, 10:09:47 AM »

TOD:

Cincinnati Pops - Disney Magic

Boston Pops - Celtic Album

Those are both excellent albums. I recently checked them out from the library to listen to.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2007, 10:11:14 AM »

I wish there were a DSL alternative, but DSL doesn't work well in my neighborhood because we're slightly out of the hub.

That can be frustrating...

DSL is hit an miss throughout most of ND, even parts of Fargo for that matter

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2007, 10:12:20 AM »

I am still on hold.  It is now ten-ten.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2007, 10:14:05 AM »

sheesh.... and they expect one to be pleasant after being on hold for who knows how long listening to advertising or MUZAK....

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2007, 10:14:53 AM »

Tomovoz--the Sergio connections on this Magic Voices boxed set keep a-comin'--today's beautiful surprise was a gorgeous So Many Stars.  You should get it.

TOD:  Well Mr. BK himself, who claims to be a Percy Faith-ophile, took one look at my shelf of Percy Faith CDs here in my home environment and pronounced me "insane."  ;)  I love Percy Faith and am not ashamed to admit it.  The wonderful thing is virtually his entire recorded output is now available on CD, either from Collectibles or Taragon, as well as one very rare item done by my friend (and British OCR restorer) Alan Bunting.  The two 60s-70s era recordings I would recommend to any DR are "Held Over!", a great album of movie themes from 1969 or 1970 (can't recall right now) that contains one gorgeous arrangement after another of such great material as "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head" to "Anne of the Thousand Days" to "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?"; and "Black Magic Woman," an absolutely rockin' early 70s album of Santana and other Latin covers (including Percy's second luscious arrangement of a song Tomovoz will know--Reza (Laia Ladaia), made popular by Brasil '66).  Some Faith purists don't like "Black Magic Woman" because producer Richard Perry had Percy augment his brass section and also placed all the strings dead center in the stereo mix, but for my money it's one of Percy's greatest albums.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2007, 10:15:20 AM »

I was just told he's enroute.  I said I didn't give a crap what he was doing and I asked to speak to a supervisor.  I'm back on hold.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2007, 10:20:51 AM »

Whether or not BK's man enroute routes will have to wait until I get back from work... late in the evening.

The suspense is gong to kill me.

Laters, as someone often says.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »

Other highly recommended Faiths include:

Windmills of Your Mind (including an unbelievable 3/4 big band reworking of "The Lion in Winter")
Clair (nice versions of the Gilbert O'Sullivan tune as well as Percy's version of Deodato's version of Also Sprach Zarathustra)

Also for those interested in some rare items, the 3 Collectibles collections of Faith Singles, many of which were never released on LP, are a treasure-trove of early Broadway and Hollywood tunes.

And of course Faith made his mark in the 50s (up through the early 60s) with his instrumental albums of shows, including BK's beloved Li'l Abner, but Percy's classic covers also include unusual choices like Subways are for Sleeping and House of Flowers.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up