Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEEPING BEAUTY  (Read 18581 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: SLEEPING BEAUTY
« Reply #210 on: November 16, 2008, 08:49:32 PM »

DR MBarnum - I keep meaning to ask you: Have you ever thought of taking language classes/lessons in Hindi? Pakistani? Chinese? etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #211 on: November 16, 2008, 08:59:26 PM »

I set my DVR to record ACCIDENTAL FRIENDSHIP next time it is on.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #212 on: November 16, 2008, 09:01:44 PM »

Jane - the Vixter was overstressing abou the assignment (misplaced stress IMHO) and she has a week to complete it so I made her take a break and start fresh tomorrow _ I will show her you email in the morning

The problem is that she READS; she doesn't watch all the TV and go the the "teen movies" (although she is looking forward to Twilight)  so she is not aware of current actors in the right age brackets

DR the vixter - All the "teen actors" I would recommend are no longer teens - and/or can no longer play teens.  -The first thing that popped into my head was the cast of "The Outsiders".  But it looks like some other suggestions dropped in your lap already.  Guess I'll have to get my cookie elsewhere.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #213 on: November 16, 2008, 09:03:33 PM »

Got really emotionally interested and involved in the story presented in the revised PAL JOEY, but - no spoilers here - by the end, the much-discussed gay-related subplot makes a character or two seem horribly unsympathetic in a way that I can't believe the original authors intended.  Not sure how I feel about that.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:14:04 PM by FJL »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #214 on: November 16, 2008, 09:03:53 PM »

Kevin Kelly wrote in ONE SINGULAR SENSATION:

"During a similar hiatus before the marriage she [Donna McKechnie] had flown to Londond, where he [Michael Bennett] was in the midst of a fierce squabble with British Equity over the West End CHORUS LINE.

"The squabble had them headlined in the Fleet Street tabloids.  It also deepened Michael Bennett's paranoia, blackened his Malta tours.

At issue was the casting of elfin (the 41 -one year old) Elizabeth Seal, whom Bennett found unacceptable as Cassie.  Elizabeth Sael had been a hit in London in 1958 as the only female in the cast of IRMA la DOUCE, a hit she duplicated on Broadway two years later.  But she was not up to Bennett's standard.  She didn't ahve the grace or stamina for the 'Music and the Mirror' number.  She was nothing like Donna McKechnie, his 'favorite instrument.'

"Michael Bennet fired Elizabeth Seal, who suddenly emerged as both the darling of the London theater scene and an endangered species.  Bennett hired a Lithuanian dancer named Petra Siniawaski."

I guess there was a big Equity flap when Donna came over to train Petra.....this may have been covered better in other books on Bennett or ACL.

Wasn't  (I think) Jean Pierre Aumont's wife Sabine somehow connected with the Cassie flack with London Cast? Did she come before or after Donna  McKechinie.

Well... If you want the real story... Just make a trip to New York City, and we'll all go out for Korean BBQ with Baayork Lee.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2008, 09:05:57 PM »

I'm sorry I have no suggestions for you, Vixter, as I have never read "Catcher in the Rye."

And now I am sad...er

I'm not.  I did not like the book.  My younger son loved it.  I will call him & see if he has any suggestions.

I didn't really like the book until I had read for the third of fifth time... When I was in my 30s.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #216 on: November 16, 2008, 09:07:30 PM »

I am very sad that "The Drowsy Chaperone" never made it to Phoenix on tour. I saw it in NY with my sister and loved it.

I believe once the tour switches over to Non-Equity, it will be playing Phoenix.  -And I believe the non-Equity tour launches soon.  Very soon.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #217 on: November 16, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »

MATT H.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW WHO WOULD BE A GOOD ACTOR FOR A TEN YEAR OLD BOY!!!!(I'm not screaming: I'm hyperventilating.) HHHHHHHHEELLLLLLLPPPPplease.
PLEASE REVIEW THIS LIST OF ACTORS AND TELL ME WHETHER OR NOT YOU CAN COME UP WITH A GOOD ACTOR FOR ALLIE THAT TEENS WOULD KNOW, AND IF YOU CAN, BETTER ONE S THEN THE ONES I ALREADY HAVE UP. I AM ON MY HANDS AND KNEES!!!!!!!! PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE HELP ME!!!!!!! This is the list:

Holden-Daniel Radcliffe (Harry potter-Harry Potter)
Stradlater-Orlando Bloom (Lord of the Rings-Legolas/ Pirates of the Caribbean-Will Turner)
Ackley- Haley Joel Osment(The Sixth Sense-Cole Sear)
Mr. Spencer-Michael Gambon (Harry Potter-Dumbledore)
Sally Haynes-Emma Watson(Harry Potter-Hermione)
Jane Gallagher- Dakota Fanning(Hide and Seek-Emily Callaway/ War of the Worlds- Rachel Ferrier)
Sonny- Emily Osment (Hannah Montana-Lily Truscott/ Spy kids 2-Gerti Giggles)
Maurice-Alan Rickman(Harry Potter-Severus Snape/ Galaxy Quest-Dr. Lazarus/ Die Hard-Hans Gruber)
Carl Luce-Anthony Rapp(Rent-Mark)
Phoebe- Lucy Boynton(Ballet shoes-Posy Fossil)
Allie-
Mr. Antolini-Johnny Depp(Edward Scissorhands-Edward Scissorhands/ Pirates of the Caribean- Jack Sparrow/ Charlie and the Chocolate Factory- Willy Wonka/ Sweeny Todd-Sweeny Todd/ Nightmare on Elm Street-Glen Lantz/ Finding Neverland-J.M.Barrie)

Please help me, or my teacher will flunk me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...and J.D. Salinger might sue me for being so evil to his book...

PLEASE RESPOND BACK THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Sends you many virtual coookie bribes)

Umm.... So, I'm guessing the vixter already had some of those Cleveland-sized cookies before she wrote this post?

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2008, 09:12:07 PM »

DR elmore, regarding ACCIDENTAL FRIENDSHIP....  I too would have found difficulty buying the premise except for the fact it is a true story.

There are so many young homeless people in our small town I would like to think I could be so noble.  The most I do is carry dog treats.  While many of the dogs purpose seem to be to help the person beg, others are obviously loved & cared for as best as possible.

I do feel for you with what you have to deal with.

I would also add that the homeless population in Los Angeles is much different from the homeless population in New York City - at least based on my own personal observations.  -And after reading a couple of books such as "The Soloist".  The weather plays a major role in both cities.  L.A. usually has constant sunshine, and no "real" winter.  The survival skills are different from coast to coast.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: November 16, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »

Oh...

For those DRs who happen to be FB-ers too - on Facebook that is...

There seems to be some "hack" going around.  Do not click on any links that say that your photo has been posted  "all over" some other website.  It's all spyware, malware.

It may be a good day to change your password(s).

If they post Sherlock's puppy photo all over other sites, I guess that is ok ;).

If I do receive a message my photo has been posted on other websites, I can just delete the message & then I can't be hacked-right?

More precisely, if people start telling you that they received posts on their Wall saying that you told them that their pic is being posted on other websites... Then you know you have a problem.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #220 on: November 16, 2008, 09:30:11 PM »

Speaking of sunshine, this video form The Muppet Show is incredibly cute (though the song Helen Reddy sings to the camel is decidedly unromantic :) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9X-k0uoA-4

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #221 on: November 16, 2008, 09:30:20 PM »

...And I had a wonderful time seeing and hearing my friend, Patrick Carfizzi, and Heidi Grant Murphy in recital at The Morgan Library.  It was a truly lovely afternoon of music-making among friends and colleagues.  Some Debussy, some Wilder, some Rossini, some Mozart, some John Duke, and some Obradors.  A truly wonderfully varied program. -And a very fun, semi-staged encore for both performers.

*It was also nice to get reacquainted with my "Inner Music Geek": I could tell which edition of the Mozart arias the pianist, Kevin Murphy (Heidi's husband), was using according to where the page turns fell.  Totally Geeking Out!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2008, 09:31:46 PM »

Got really emotionally interested and involved in the story presented in the revised PAL JOEY, but - no spoilers here - by the end, the much-discussed gay-related subplot makes a character or two seem horribly unsympathetic in a way that I can't believe the original authors intended.  Not sure how I feel about that.

Well, they're still in previews, so... -And tonight was only their third or fourth public performance, wasn't it?
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2008, 09:42:48 PM »

Jose, I suspect the gay-subplot revisions are essentially there to stay.  They are integral to the storyline of the revised book.  They didn't veen hint at bothering me until a character or two who are sympathetic in the original are rendered unsympathetic.  And as I said, i'm not sure how I feel about drastically altering an audience's perception of a character as sympathetic vs. unsympathetic, and I worry that some people may leave feeling that was O'Hara-Rodgers-Hart's take on the character.  This is a different work; it is truly a revisal.

SPOILER

to be specific, using a character's homosexuality as a threat against him seems all out of (the originally written) character for either Vera or Gladys Bumps

td

• td
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2008, 09:43:14 PM »

DR MBarnum - I keep meaning to ask you: Have you ever thought of taking language classes/lessons in Hindi? Pakistani? Chinese? etc.

I have a copy of the Hindi Rosetta Stone.  It's quite a lot of fun as well as being education.  But, I'm not DR MBarnum. . . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2008, 09:46:32 PM »

Jose, I suspect the gay-subplot revisions are essentially there to stay.  They are integral to the storyline of the revised book.  They didn't veen hint at bothering me until a character or two who are sympathetic in the original are rendered unsympathetic.  And as I said, i'm not sure how I feel about drastically altering an audience's perception of a character as sympathetic vs. unsympathetic, and I worry that some people may leave feeling that was O'Hara-Rodgers-Hart's take on the character.  This is a different work; it is truly a revisal.

SPOILER

Yeah... I know what you mean.  Especially since I was able to read a copy of the revised script already.  :-X
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2008, 09:47:05 PM »

I have a copy of the Hindi Rosetta Stone.  It's quite a lot of fun as well as being education.  But, I'm not DR MBarnum. . . .

But could you play him on TV?  Or would that be Martin Mull?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2008, 09:49:07 PM »

Finished with my viewing - watched three complete Route 66 episodes, a motion picture entitled The Boys In The Band, and two episodes of Cagney and Lacey.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2008, 09:49:19 PM »

WOW!

All Fiction books are "Buy One, Get One 1/2 Price" tomorrow and Tuesday at Border's.

Hmmm..
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2008, 09:53:48 PM »

Now I'm listening to a CD of film noir themes.  This, I am realizing, is a shameless bootleg, comprised solely of recordings of main titles ripped from DVDs.  And they're selling it at Amoeba.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: November 16, 2008, 10:05:44 PM »

For more on "Slumdog Millionaire"...

From today's Arts & Leisure Section of the NY Times, a background piece on the film and director:

Extreme Mumbai, Without Bollywood’s Filtered Lens

And, if you're into partial spoilers, here's Dargis' REVIEW.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #231 on: November 16, 2008, 10:08:52 PM »

But could you play him on TV?  Or would that be Martin Mull?

I'll leave that up to Mr. Mull.
Did any one catch his wonderful performance on LAW & ORDER a few weeks back?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #232 on: November 16, 2008, 10:43:11 PM »

I am just saying that when he left ROUTE 66, there were rumors of gay activity.  I am not saying these rumors were true, but I am saying that there were rumors back then.

We heard the same rumors in Seattle.
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #233 on: November 16, 2008, 10:44:48 PM »

We're STILL on page eight?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #234 on: November 16, 2008, 10:45:50 PM »

I'm hoping tomorrow stays pretty open.  I do have to go get a chart from storage and have it Xeroxed, but that shouldn't take that long, and I think that's all I have to do, other than Bacharach stuff, which is all basically just responding to e-mails.

MBarnum

« Reply #235 on: November 16, 2008, 10:50:09 PM »

Actually most Hindi movies are really mostly in Urdu (which is what they speak in Pakistan and parts of India), I have found out. I bought a set of "teach yourself Hindi" and I couldn't figure out why nothing sounded familiar. I do know a LOT of Urdu words now, however so that when I find myself watching a non-subtitled Bollywood movie I can sometimes figure out what they are talking about.

Chinese no, but I did study Japanese a bit while in High School...on my own, however, since Phoenix High School (in Phoenix, Oregon) did not have Japanese as one of it's lanquage courses.

The community college in Salem has courses in Arabic, which I keep planning to take, but I am lazy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #236 on: November 16, 2008, 10:50:47 PM »

OH!

I picked up the new "Howard Sings Ashman" set today at Virgin... I didn't realize the second disc is the complete of the full demo recording of Smile!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #237 on: November 16, 2008, 10:53:16 PM »

I should interview George Maharis.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: November 16, 2008, 11:07:42 PM »

He's eighty now.  Better move quick.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: November 16, 2008, 11:08:17 PM »

OH!

I picked up the new "Howard Sings Ashman" set today at Virgin... I didn't realize the second disc is the complete of the full demo recording of Smile!

You mean, the synth orchestrated version with Jodi and Anne Marie Bobby?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up