Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: SLEEPING BEAUTY  (Read 18184 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SLEEPING BEAUTY
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:20:43 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were sleepy, and now it is time for you to post until the sleeping cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SLEEPING BEAUTY
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:21:49 AM »

And the word of the day is: HERMENEUTIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:22:53 AM »

Welcome seven GUESTS.  Who ARE you people?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:35:00 AM »

~~~Excellent Vibes and Xylophones for a Non-Annoying Telephonic Call or, Even Better, No Telephonic Call At All For BK!!~~~

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 12:47:18 AM »

Well, I must get some sleep or I won't be rested enough to drive to Seattle from Olympia.  Good night, BK.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 01:23:03 AM »

I do wish someone had reminded me that we had an important haineshisway.com anniversary back on November 9th - the anniversary of the beginning of this here site, back in 2001.  Which means we're entering our what, eighth year?  What a ride it's been.  I don't think there's ever been a daily blog of the length I write done every day for seven complete years, with never a day missed.  I think someone should nominate that for the Guiness Book Of World Records or something.   We've had wonderful get-togethers, have been through horrible evil and pointless lawsuits, show openings, CD recordings, eight books, deaths, births, weddings, good times and bum times, I've seen 'em all and my dear - we're still here.  So my free for all topic is favorite moments of the last seven years on this here site.  And a very happy belated haineshisway.com anniversary.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 02:08:44 AM »

Note to Singdaw; CC: George

Kyle X/Y returns to ABCFAM on Monday, January 12 at 9 PM

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 02:46:48 AM »

If anybody wants to see what an aging jew looked like before he had to do long-jogs, you can tune into the Hallmark channel at 9AM and watch:

M*A*S*H - "Ceasefire" and look for Private Gilbert.

der Brucer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 02:56:44 AM »

Good morning -  just caught up to yesterday... congrats to elmore on the bigger than expected check  - may you use it in good health!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 02:57:42 AM »

DR Dingdongmerrilywesing - that was a very moving story !  I am very pleased for your friends

vixmom

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 02:59:20 AM »

I have been eating lke a pig for the past three weeks... I have managed to gain back 10 lbs!!

vixmom

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 03:00:16 AM »

If anybody wants to see what an aging jew looked like before he had to do long-jogs, you can tune into the Hallmark channel at 9AM and watch:

M*A*S*H - "Ceasefire" and look for Private Gilbert.

der Brucer

if anyone cares to DVR and and send me a copy I would love to see it - I do not get the Hallmark channel

vixmom

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 03:05:16 AM »

Question for our Reviewers:

Have any of you gotten the new Upstairs, Downstairs DVD set that was just released>

I saw it on the DDD site and am tempted to ask Vixdad to buy it for me - with 68 hours of viewing I figured it would help time pass  -

I only have a vaugue recollection of the series when it was shown on PBS inthe 70's but I remember how well received it was --- I would hate to waste that amount of money on it if it has not held up well over the years or if the production levels are terrible -

thanks!! 

DERBRUCER

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 03:31:58 AM »

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

VARIETY

Academy disqualifies 'Dark' score

The score for "The Dark Knight" has been disqualified by the executive committee of the Academy music branch.

Formal letters to that effect are expected to go out this week to composers Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard, who collaborated on the music.
Their previous collaboration, on "Batman Begins," was similarly disqualified in 2005.

Sources inside the committee said that the big issue was the fact that five names were listed as composers on the music cue sheet, the official studio document that specifies every piece of music (along with its duration and copyright owner) in the film.

Zimmer said, in an interview with Variety prior to this week's Acad action, that listing multiple names on the cue sheet was a way of financially rewarding parts of the music team who helped make the overall work successful. (Performing-rights societies like ASCAP and BMI use the cue sheet to distribute royalties to composers.)

Zimmer, Howard and the other three individuals -- music editor Alex Gibson, ambient music designer Mel Wesson and composer Lorne Balfe -- reportedly signed an affidavit stating that the score was primarily the work of Zimmer and Howard.

der Brucer

vixmom

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 03:38:16 AM »

duh!  It just occurred to me to go over to DVD talk and see for myself if there was a review there -and there was

singdaw

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 04:10:48 AM »

THANKS, DR dB!  :)  :)  :)

singdaw

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 04:12:18 AM »

***excellent vibes and xylophones for a non-annoying or non-existant phone call***
for bk!!!

vixmom

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 04:31:16 AM »

~~~Excellent vibes and xylophones to BK for a non-annoying phone call~~~

Laura

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 04:33:21 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For a non-existent phone call!

Sometimes I really dislike the phone.

vixmom

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 04:41:48 AM »

I do wish someone had reminded me that we had an important haineshisway.com anniversary back on November 9th - the anniversary of the beginning of this here site, back in 2001.  Which means we're entering our what, eighth year?  What a ride it's been.  I don't think there's ever been a daily blog of the length I write done every day for seven complete years, with never a day missed.  I think someone should nominate that for the Guiness Book Of World Records or something.   We've had wonderful get-togethers, have been through horrible evil and pointless lawsuits, show openings, CD recordings, eight books, deaths, births, weddings, good times and bum times, I've seen 'em all and my dear - we're still here.  So my free for all topic is favorite moments of the last seven years on this here site.  And a very happy belated haineshisway.com anniversary.

Happy Anniversary to BK and HHW - I am glad we're here!!

Favorite Moments - The first Jose Walking Eating Tour
                                NYMF 2007 - all the backstage gossip,  insights
                                and finally the shows themselves
                                DR Laura's photos every one of them!!!!
                                DR Sandra's nursey school updates
                                FJL's puns - every one of 'em!!
                                Jose's food descriptions!
                                The love, respect, sharing and caring that goes on here - mixed in
                                with good natured needleing!!
                                This is the best of families -- I am so glad I was adopted!

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 04:42:28 AM »

Goodness Laura, you're up early!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 04:43:28 AM »

Good morning, all! In a little more than an hour I will meet DR Ben at Penn Station for our trek to the Princeton Record Exchange. I haven't been there in over ten years, and I am looking forward to the trip and to the company of our DR Ben.

On my way back today, I will stop at Staples and (hopefully) pick up a couple more storage boxes to finish this job.

DR vixmom, about two years ago I went on an UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS kick and watched the entire series.  I had seen it only on occasion in the 1970s, and I had a great time watching the entire saga. I think the story, both from a family chronicle and a time capsule of history, holds up quite well, and it was great to see the several episodes not shown in the USA because of the "adult" content.

I'm not sure I'd want to own it, but I certainly recommend it.

!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Last night I watched ACCIDENTAL FRIENDSHIP, written and co-produced (I believe) by our former DR Panni.  I liked the cast, and it was great to see Ben Vereen, but I think I'm too close to the harsher realities of the homeless that I couldn't buy the film's premise, even though I applaud the motives behind the production.

Around 1981, I was walking back from lunch break to Patelson's Music, feeling very good about the trip and a purchase, only to be punched in the face by a homeless man who clearly didn't like the smile on my face. I went back to work with a bloody nose and a bloody shirt. I've seen too many homeless men and women, who shouldn't be seen naked, dropping trou for a public demonstration of urination and worse, and I've been on too many subway cars, as well as when I was working at Barnes and Noble, to know that the homeless are in dire need of a bath, deodorant, and delicing. The Catholic church across from me has a daily soup kitchen in the morning and I've found the homeless who line up - and fight - around 7 am for coffee and a sandwich, sleeping in my lobby, using the incinerator closet for a toilet, and dealing drugs.

So I had a hard time buying the premise of this lady cop with her own issues getting too close to a homeless woman and befriending her and her dogs; I certainly wouldn't take the animals home before bathing them and giving them flea and tick collars! As I said, I thought the motives behind the story -  redemption, reclaiming one's life, helping others - were all good, important, and well-handled, I couldn't buy the premise and I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:55:45 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 04:43:51 AM »

How is Dr Kerry's marmalade kitten this morning?

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 04:47:33 AM »

DR vixmom, about two years ago I went on an UPSTAIRS DOWNSTAIRS kick and watched the entire series.  I had seen it only on occasion in the 1970s, and I had a great time watching the entire saga. I think the story, both from a family chronicle and a time capsule of history, holds up quite well, and it was great to see the several episodes not shown in the USA because of the "adult" content.

I'm not sure I'd want to own it, but I certainly recommend it.

Thank you _ I think I am going to ask Vixdad to buy it for me as my Christmas gift (and give him the DDD discount code of course!)

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 04:49:16 AM »

Good morning, all! In a little more than an hour I will meet DR Ben at Penn Station for our trek to the Princeton Record Exchange. I haven't been there in over ten years, and I am looking forward to the trip and to the company of our DR Ben.

Have a wonderful time! I hope you find some bargains and treasures!

vixmom

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 04:51:06 AM »

!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Last night I watched ACCIDENTAL FRIENDSHIP, written and co-produced (I believe) by our former DR Panni.  I liked the cast, and it was great to see Ben Vereen, but I think I'm too close to the harsher realities of the homeless that I couldn't buy the film's premise, even though I applaud the motives behind the production.

Around 1981, I was walking back from lunch break to Patelson's Music, feeling very good about the trip and a purchase, only to be punched in the face by a homeless man who clearly didn't like the smile on my face. I went back to work with a bloody nose and a bloody shirt. I've seen too many homeless men and women, who shouldn't be seen naked, dropping trou for a public demonstration of urination and worse, and I've been on too many subway cars, as well as when I was working at Barnes and Noble, to know that the homeless are in dire need of a bath, deodorant, and delicing. The Catholic church across from me has a daily soup kitchen in the morning and I've found the homeless who line up - and fight - around 7 am for coffee and a sandwich, sleeping in my lobby, using the incinerator closet for a toilet, and dealing drugs.

So I had a hard time buying the premise of this lady cop with her own issues getting too close to a homeless woman and befriending her and her dogs; I certainly wouldn't take the animals home before bathing them and giving them flea and tick collars! As I said, I thought the motives behind the story -  redemption, reclaiming one's life, helping others - were all noble and well-handled, I couldn't buy the premise and I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

I had not heard of this - is it on DVD?

vixmom

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 04:52:34 AM »

After typhoon-like wind and rain for the past 12 hours we have suddenly been blessed with bright sunshine!

HURRAH!!

vixmom

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 04:54:09 AM »

The Vixter just came and told me it is time to get ready for church - at this morning's 9 AM service she's singing and I'm the lay reader- time to go get pretttified!

Laters!

FJL

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 04:57:20 AM »

Yikes, seems like so much happened yesterday while I was E&T.  I'd better go back and ketchup.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 04:57:23 AM »

!!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!!

So I had a hard time buying the premise of this lady cop with her own issues getting too close to a homeless woman and befriending her and her dogs; I certainly wouldn't take the animals home before bathing them and giving them flea and tick collars! As I said, I thought the motives behind the story -  redemption, reclaiming one's life, helping others - were all noble and well-handled, I couldn't buy the premise and I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to.

I had not heard of this - is it on DVD?

It's a new movie on the Hallmark Channel with an excellent cast, Chandra Wilson and Ben Vereen are both quite wonderful.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up