Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: HORMONES RUN AMOK  (Read 18966 times)

Jennifer

Re:HORMONES RUN AMOK
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2005, 08:15:14 PM »

Hmmm, my dad saw War Of the Worlds and really did not like it.  Apparently my brother-in-law's sister took her kids to see it and they didn't like it!  (the little boy just turned 5 so i was kinda shocked they took him). I'm assuming this one is really not for kids, right?  (he had to leave with grandma).

The fireworks from last night were rescheduled to tonight (thunderstorms).  We arrived only 5 minutes before they were to begin and we got separated. We were in 3 cars, and of course the car unfamiliar with the area got separated from the others.  When I called them to ask where they were they had a hard time explaining (saying they were at some school). Well the only school I knew of was 2 miles away.

So we watched the fireworks separately (i had their 10 yr old daughter with me). And we found them afterwards.  It turns out they were only about 1 block away (not at a school though).

As I was trying to explain where we were I said on the corner of Lake, in front of the grocery store, and right beside the firetruck.  Eventually the mom says "well we are in front of the firetruck but we don't see you". It turns out they were on the other side of it so we couldn't see each other. :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 08:16:21 PM by Jennifer »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2005, 08:16:05 PM »

Horses and courses Matthew
ALW's attempt to do his "A Little Night Music". A seedy tasteless book to begin with IMHO.

Sales and talk about the show were so bad that the Drama Book Shop staff were given free tickets to ASPECTS OF LOVE.  On the way out of mess, a person behind my friends asked his companion what he thought would happen to the leading man's romantic dilemma.  The companion replied, "He'll stay with the dyke till the jailbait's old enough."
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 08:16:32 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2005, 08:17:08 PM »

DR divarobbie - thanks for the heads-up on this CD.  I just went upstairs to the AV department in my library, found it, and am now enjoying!

You're welcome... it's a great, fun cd.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2005, 08:17:42 PM »

Here's the short version:

Woke up at 5:00 - Got about two hours of sleep.

My father was kind enough to drive me to Union Station this morning so that I could catch the 6:20 train to Penn Station.  The train left on time, and arrived in NYC on time too!  It was a relatively uneventful ride, although I happened to be sitting in a car with a bunch of college-age kids who were heading up to Philly for the Live 8 Concert.  They were quite vocal for about the first 45 minutes of the trip - lots of "that was the sh*t", "those f*cking thats", etc.  But the all eventually zonked out by 7:00.

Ah, the quiet.

Once at Penn Station, I made my way to subway platform to catch the C uptown to 4nd Street - just one stop.  Then I took the long subterranean walk to the the other 7th Ave side of the station where I grabbed the S train, the shuttle to Grand Central Station.

After a stop at Junior's for a Black & White and a mini Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake - a.k.a. The True Breakfast of Champions - I grabbed the Metro North Train at 10:51 to Poughkeepsie.

It was my first time on the Hudson River Line.  And what a perfect day for training along the Hudson River.  So beautiful.  I know what I shall be doing on those days when I'm itching for a bit of nature.  And the train fare is rather reasonable too!

Billy Joel's "New York State of Mind" was happily haunting me during the trip.  Hudson River Line.  Cold Spring.  Etc.

And once I got to Poughkeepise...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2005, 08:21:07 PM »

DR Tom, I'll look for the DVD, I've always wanted to see it.  After dwelling on your comment about traces of "Tell Me On A Sunday" in "The Woman in White" I can't for the life of me figure out what part you are talking about.  I'm familiar with ALL forms of "Tell Me On A Sunday" and "Song and Dance" and can't seem to hear that in "The Woman In White".  Any help?

Yes, DRElmore, "Aspects" IS a mess, but I love it anyway.  Don't we all have a show that's a mess that we love???
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 08:21:36 PM by Matthew »

Matthew

« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2005, 08:23:01 PM »

DRElmore - I've also had the pleasure (if you could call it that) to conduct "Aspects of Love" - my first REAL conducting venture, while it was challenging to say the least, it was great fun.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2005, 08:23:16 PM »

Well, AMELIE has just gone into my list of favorite movies.  Beautiful to watch, the colors are vibrant and the shots of Paris are wonderful.  There are some wonderful character actors in the cast, and Audrey Tautou is so charmant.

And so, to bed.  DARLING OF THE DAY is occupying my day until/if my Father shows up.  As Doris Day says, que sera . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2005, 08:23:50 PM »

As soon as I stepped out of the train station at Poughkeepsie, one of the company mangagement interns, Spring, greeted me, and whisked me off to the Vassar campus.

After meeting the company management staff, I headed over to my room.  My dorm room.  And it's a real old-fashoined  dorm room, in an old-fashioned building.  Shared bathrooms each floor.  Men on one side of the building.  Women on the other.  I'm staying in a two-room 'suite" that has four twin beds in it.  -The kind with the plastic covered mattresses and the metal springs.  And those very sturdy and heavy wooden school desks.  I do have ethernet access - no wireless as I had thought - but since I did not bring an ethernet cable with me... No biggie.  As I mentioned previously, I found the computer lab in this dorm, and that's where I'm hooked into now.

But I digress...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2005, 08:24:53 PM »

A friend loaned me TROY on DVD a couple of months ago. It has sat on my counter all that time, and now tonight it's premiering on HBO. Oops. I might as well hand the DVD back to him. I meant to flip over to it tonight on HBO-HD to see if HBO-HD was showing a full frame or widescreen version in high definition. You can never predict how HBO will present a movie in high def. Sometimes it is with the proper aspect ration and other times it's a cropped version in high definition.

I never got around to seeing anything on TV tonight , so I'll have to wait for the next showing on HBO-HD to see what they're doing with it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2005, 08:25:52 PM »

Yes, DRElmore, "Aspects" IS a mess, but I love it anyway.  Don't we all have a show that's a mess that we love???

Yes, but I prefer a show with something more than drivel for music, and I think Lloyd Webber's a very successful third-rate composer who doesn't know what to do with a good tune once he creates it or steals it.  

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2005, 08:28:51 PM »

That might be a good topic for discussion one of these days:

guilty pleasure musicals (either stage or film).

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2005, 08:28:55 PM »

"Letters home" from "Tell Me On a Sunday". "I Hope You'll Like It Here"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2005, 08:29:47 PM »

"Drivel" is a perfect word for it, DR Elmore. I must remember that word for future use in ALW discussions.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »

I've read far more positive than negative reviews of WAR OF THE WORLDS, but I will eventually see it myself and make up my own mind.

Tomovoz

« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2005, 08:32:01 PM »

"Amelie" was too British in feel for DR François.
I thought it was "too cute" and the Garden Gnomes was in vogue here 20 years ago. (Stolen and photographed in far away places). Ms Tautou is charming.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2005, 08:34:01 PM »

Well, the hour has gotten late for me on the East Coast, so I'm headed for bed. Good night, all.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2005, 08:35:19 PM »

I really enjoyed "Amelie."  However, it took me a long time to remember how to pronounce it.  For some reason, I just couldn't remember that the accent is on the first syllable...but I do now! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2005, 08:35:58 PM »

Mr Cruise's private life and "informed opinions" will not keep me away from the film. I quite liked "The Minority Report" but then it was not really an actor's film.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2005, 08:36:17 PM »

Then I was whisked off to the Deli where I picked up a Spicy Italian for my lunch.  Then I joined the company after their lunch break...

:)

I'm gonna have a great time while I'm here.  First of all, it was great seeing Brad Haak again.  He was my conductor for Children of Eden last year - and he's the one who put the wheels in motion to get me up here.  Just such a great guy all around.  Very talented.  Great biceps and pecs too!

;)

I was then introduced to the company.  One of the guys in the cast remembered me from his SETC audition days. Oh, and Emily Skinner is in the cast too.  As well as Wayne Wilcox (he did PIAZZA in Seattle and Chicago), Joseph Kolinski (one of my all-time favorite Broadway voices of all time!), etc...  I'll post a cast list sometime later when I'm not so braindead....

In any case...

I basically sat back and watched.  This is a workshop production, so lots of editing and rewriting and restructuring going on.  Tomorrow, I shall be the MD-in-absentia - or something like that - while Brad heads down to Philly to meet with Sir Elton John about Lestat.

Well, excited and scared...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2005, 08:36:42 PM »

Please tell me that Diane Warren has not written a theme song for "War Of The Worlds".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2005, 08:39:07 PM »

And before I turn in for the evening:

Nat King Cole - "Mona Lisa", "Straighten Up and Fly Right"

Perry Como - Never really 'got' him.  I think it was the sweater.  ;)  But, I guess "Catch a Falling Star"

-Who was the third one?

Hold on...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2005, 08:40:03 PM »

Ah...

Jack Jones - "The Theme from the Love Boat".
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2005, 08:41:13 PM »

Last year, I got some locally filmed and produced movies from Netflix.  I made copies of them because a co-worker (Carole) and another friend of mine (Karen) are in a couple of them!  Anyway, Carole borrowed them earlier this year and finally gave them back to me.  But when I got them, the cases and the paper inserts had gotten wet and are kind of icky. :P Fortunately, the discs themselves are all okay.  Now, I'm making copies for Carole because she never got copies after they were originally released, so that's all taking quite a bit of time.  I'm also making brand new inserts (which I made in the first place because I got them from Netflix).  All of this is also making my computer slow down.  I just hope that my working and playing Free Cell while I copying and burning the DVDs doesn't adversly affect the discs.  We'll see!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2005, 08:42:12 PM »

ATTN: DR MBARNUM

*And, please, someone "remind" him about what I'm about to post when he's back from hunting bares bare...

I watched KWHAWISH - or however it's spelled - today while I was on the train on my laptop.  Nice movie.  A little longer than expected, but fun.  However, the leading man needed to spend more time in his underwear.

;)

BUT I FINALLY WATCHED A BOLLYWOOD MOVIE!!!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2005, 08:43:31 PM »

BK - Amanda McBroom sends her love.  -And she's very happy about Kritzerland starting up.  She wishes you much success. *She's the lyricist for Danderous Beauty here at New York Stage & Film.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2005, 08:43:40 PM »

I'm gonna have a great time while I'm here.  First of all, it was great seeing Brad Haak again.  He was my conductor for Children of Eden last year - and he's the one who put the wheels in motion to get me up here.  Just such a great guy all around.  Very talented.  Great biceps and pecs too!

;)

I was then introduced to the company.  One of the guys in the cast remembered me from his SETC audition days. Oh, and Emily Skinner is in the cast too....

I LOVE EMILY SKINNER!!  Jose, how long will you be with the show?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2005, 08:44:57 PM »

Well, I need to free up this ethernet connection here in the lab...

I should be back on in the morning before heading to rehearsal - 11:00-7:00 tomorrow.

Until then...

Laters...

*And maybe I'll remember which posts I wanted to respond too too come morning.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2005, 08:45:59 PM »

I LOVE EMILY SKINNER!!  Jose, how long will you be with the show?

This is a workshop.  They started rehearsal last week.  They go up next Thursday just for three or four shows.  That's it.  The link I posted yesterday should have the info.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2005, 08:47:17 PM »

I'll check it out.  Thanks for the info.  Obviously, I wasn't paying attention the first time. ::)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 08:47:59 PM by George »

Matthew

« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2005, 08:51:22 PM »

DR Tom, as I was currently vacuuming the apartment, I was singing both said melody's back to back.  While the rhythms and feel are the same, the music is definately not.  But I can see how you could think it was due to the feel of each passage.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up