Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: QUICK THURSDAY  (Read 20460 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
QUICK THURSDAY
« on: October 14, 2004, 12:04:27 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about how quickly Thursday came upon us, and now it is time for you to post until the Quick Cows come home.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2004, 12:04:52 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:QUICK THURSDAY
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 12:10:19 AM »

With apologies to the cows who are on their way home...
My favorite meat dish of all time is Wiener Schnitzel. Yum.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 12:19:06 AM »

Is it Thursday already?

Oh my!  Well I will have to consider the meat question.

What wonderful notes....I was thinking about gettting ANOTHER DVD of 7Bfor7B to see the 'flat' version.  Maybe I will wait to find it "used" or some other such somewhere.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

beckon

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 04:50:02 AM »

Favorite Meat Dishes:

FRIED CHICKEN - My all time favorite!

PORK RIBS - My 2nd all time favorite

ROAST CHICKEN - A healthier way to enjoy chicken

SWEET AND SOUR PORK - My favorite Asian cuisine

I am not really a fan of beef.  Thank goodness, because beef plus the pork...well my cholesteral rating would not be happy!
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Ben

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 05:14:17 AM »

George, re the London National Theatre cast of ALNM, lucky dog! It's out of print now as I recall (Sondheim didn't care for it IIRC - if I recall correctly in Internetese) and copies on various sites are far more money than I am willing to part with at this point.

When I eat red meat I like a good, juicy burger. I also like pork chops (which we had for dinner last night, broiled in an Italian marinade, with brown rice and fresh vegetables from the Greenmarket).

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 05:23:34 AM »

After a huge Thanksgiving dinner followed by three days of a turkey-soup diet (thanks to a whopper of a cold/flu), I'm not handling the TOD too easily.

Still, here are the favorite meat dishes I prepare: cabbage rolls; and pot roast. When I go out for dinner, I usually opt for seafood and salads.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 05:25:54 AM »

And as I catch up on recent posts:

DR Jane - wonderful pictures of the gathering. Thanks.

DR Panni - excellent news about the house (and the miracle check).

BK and DRs All - mazel tov on hitting 70,000. We should be planning something major for 75,000.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 05:47:16 AM »

***HEALING GET RID OF THE "WHOPPER OF A COLD/FLU" VIBES TO DR DAN IN TO***

td

• td
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 05:54:43 AM »

I'm not a big meat person, never was, but the meats that I do like are:
Stuffed Flank Steak, which many moons ago was a cheap piece of meat, today, it's more commonly used for London Broil.
Eye of Round, roasted.
Blue Bacon Burger, medium rare.  (Crumbled Blue Cheese and Bacon)
Italian Sausage, be it hot, mild or plain.
Kibbee (?) be it cold or baked.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 06:16:07 AM »

Regarding CinemaScope and flat versions of the same film, is it true that Frank Sinatra was supposed to playBilly in the film of CAROUSEL but dropped out because he was only hired to do one film?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 06:20:18 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm having a hard time determining if my congestion is weather related or the dregs of the construction to rebuild the bookcases since I'm still finding plaster dust in the most bizarre places.  Because of the congestion, I'm not sleeping well this week.  What drugs can you recommend to help me out?

These days I'm mostly a seafood person, but I do love a good cheeseburger.  So here are my favorite meat dishers:
  baked ham
  meatloaf (a common dish but a good one, like a good man, is hard to find)
  brisket
  Thanksgiving turkey
  pork chops

DRPanni, best of luck with your house dealings today.  Keep the guest room open, and I'll bring you some nice Callas DVDs!

DRDan-In-Toronto, get well !  How's the climate?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 06:21:20 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 06:25:21 AM »

Regarding CinemaScope and flat versions of the same film, is it true that Frank Sinatra was supposed to playBilly in the film of CAROUSEL but dropped out because he was only hired to do one film?

DRWEL, Sinatra began shooting CAROUSEL, but I have no memory of his reasons for leaving the project.  It's my least favorite film of an R&H show, but Sinatra seems miscast to me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 06:29:09 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm having a hard time determining if my congestion is weather related or the dregs of the construction to rebuild the bookcases since I'm still finding plaster dust in the most bizarre places.  Because of the congestion, I'm not sleeping well this week.  What drugs can you recommend to help me out?

DR Elmore, thanks for the good wishes. (And thanks, too, DR Panni). The weather's been (ah-choo) pleasant here, though I've shut myself in for the past few days. The trees are late turning color, but they're starting to look spectacular. I slept really well last night, perhaps the result of this nightcap, which I concocted because it's what I found and which I hope helps you as well: Hot water, lots of honey, the juice of one lime, and a very generous splash of Marsala.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 06:33:22 AM »

Add meatloaf to my list of favorites as well. These days I make it with ground turkey or chicken. For what it's worth, I include good-quality bread crumbs (i.e., from a bakery or homemade), salt and lots of pepper, an egg, sautéed onions, a bit of water if need be, and ketchup or tomato paste.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 06:33:23 AM »

This little snippet comes from TVTome Web site. Don't know how true it is (that Internet, ya know)

Sinatra was originally set to co-star opposite Shirley Jones in the film version of Carousel in 1955. Sinatra left the production when he learned every scene would have to be filmed twice - once for the Cinemascope cameras and again for Cinemascope 55 cameras. Sinatra figured he ought to be paid twice since he was, in effect, making two movies. Sinatra had already been fitted for his costumes and started prerecording the score by the time he left at the start of filming. He was replaced by Gordon MacRae.

There is a line in his Variety obit which mentions that he walked out of the picture (Carousel) just after filming began but it didn't mention why he left.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 06:37:16 AM by Ben »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 06:41:55 AM »

I can't imagine Frank Sinatra in CAROUSEL, and I wish John Raitt had been given the movie role. This made me think of these lines in Wally Harper's obituary (NY Times, link below):

"Mr. Harper wrote, with the lyricist David Zippel, a song called "The Ingénue" that satirized the role that Ms. Cook had played early in her career. "Ingénues must pay their dues with unrelenting tedium," she complains, and yet notes that paying one's dues doesn't necessarily result in success: "Movie roles you live to play/They give to Shirley Jones to do," a reference to the part of Marian in the movie version of "The Music Man," which went to Ms. Cook's rival."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/13/arts/music/13harper.html

Ben

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 06:44:38 AM »

Here are other little tidbits about Mr. Sinatra. Some of them a little scary (Lucille Ball in the Manchurian Candidate?)! Seems he had a penchant for walking out of films.

Originally cast as Joe Grady in THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN, (1970), but walked out after production had started.

He inspired the Johnny Fontaine character in THE GODFATHER (1972).

Was considered for the role of Johnny in THE GODFATHER (1972), but this role went to Al Pacino when it became apparent that there were too many similarities between Johnny and Sinatra himself.

The title role of DIRTY HARRY (1971) was originally intended for him. After he refused, it was offered to John Wayne, and then Paul Newman, finally being accepted by Clint Eastwood.

According to Mia Farrow's biography, What Falls Away, Frank offered to have Woody Allen's legs broken when he was found to be having an affair with Mia's adopted daughter, Soon Yi Previn

He was the first choice to play Rod Anderson in WHAT A WAY TO GO! (1964). When Darryl F.Zanuck, balked at his salary demand, Robert Mitchum agreed to play the role at no fee for tax purposes.

He wanted Lucille Ball for Angela Lansbury role in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.

Originally, he was considered for the role of Terry Malloy in ON THE WATERFRONT (1954). Director Kazan approached Sinatra about the part but producer Sam Spiegel favored Brando for his greater pulling power at the box office.

Senator Iselin's plane in THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (1962) in real life belonged to him.

He was Warner Brothers' first choice to play Harold Hill in THE MUSIC MAN (1962).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 06:46:05 AM by Ben »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 07:17:05 AM »

Beef, in any Italian dish, is pretty hard to mess up.

A juicy ribeye steak with onions is hard to beat.

I have a hard time cooking meat.  I'm rarely pleased with how it turns out, though other people seem to like my cooking.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 07:18:30 AM »

I'm suddenly hungry for cold lasagna.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2004, 07:22:19 AM »

Good Morning... Eh...

My "alarm clock" this morning turned out to be the hotel's fire alarm.  Boy, is that sucker loud!!!!  Besides that pulsing siren, there's also a continuous high-pitch sound at the same time...  Well, after realizing that it was not stopping after it went off - it went off around 7:15 - and after finally waking up enough to realize what was happening - I headed out into the hall.  Once I got out there, I noticed that someone had a bunch of there stuff out in the hallway.  Unfortunately, it turned out to be the belongings of the actress playing Cassie in the production of A CHORUS LINE that I'm working on right now.  Apparently, one of her sprinklers went off for no apparent reason.  Her room was literally flooded, and, unfortunately, a bunch of personal items were heavily water-damaged.  Thankfully, she still had a bunch of her clothes in her luggage, so those stayed reasonably dry.  *It was also very fortunate timing that she was already up at the time the alarm went off - she was on her way out the door to a yoga class when the sprinkler and alarm went off.  -And it's also fortunate that the alarm did not got off later, after she had left.

Eventually, a bunch of the cast made their way to her room, and we all started helping her clean up and get things out of her room.  -And it took a long time for the hotel and firemen to turn off the alarm too!  In the middle of cleaning out the room, we realized that the electrical breaker had not been turned off yet - since the lights were still on - and since there was about two inches of water on the ground...  -I thought I felt some "tingling"...

Once the firemen arrived, they had some very audible responses of shock and surprise at just how much water was in the room.  *And they also shared with us that they've visited this hotel "often" due to nuisance alarms and other problems.  UGH!  Of course, the water vac that the hotel has is/was small and inadequate, so they had to call in another ladder truck to get a larger water vac to the scene.  And it looks like they'll be here for a good chunk of the day - the water was running downstairs into the lobby, and the water was so bad in her room that part of the ceiling started to fall down - at least the stucco.

Well, once we got "Cassie" settled into her new room, we all headed back to our rooms to try to get back to bed, or to try to stay up until rehearsal.  -It's gonna be one interesting rehearsal.

So, that's why I'm up relatively early this morning...

Good Morning...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2004, 07:25:55 AM »

RE: Frank Sinatra and Carousel - In one of the R&H documentaries, the story of Mr. Sinatra wanting to be paid for two films is recounted.  -And the anecdote was accompanied by footage of Mr. Sinatra performing one of the scenes in the movie.

...Or something like that.
Make Your Own Luck.

Emily

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 07:26:26 AM »

Congratulations all on the 70k posts and counting!

When I'm feeling meaty (it's a WORD people!) I tend to enjoy:

• Really rare standing rib roast beef (I'm talking "one step away from still mooing" rare)
  • Lamb in general (extra points if it's covered in garlicky-yumminess)
  • Pulled pork sandwiches with good BBQ sauce (Dancing Pigs is excellent)
  • Beef and brocolli Asian stir-fry

Who else is thinking that DR Jane isn't going to have much fun with the TOD? :)

Does fish count as meat? Ahhh the eternal question...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2004, 07:27:29 AM »

Good Morning... Eh...

Are you SURE you're an American Jose? ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 07:30:44 AM »

I can't imagine Frank Sinatra in CAROUSEL, and I wish John Raitt had been given the movie role. This made me think of these lines in Wally Harper's obituary (NY Times, link below):

"Mr. Harper wrote, with the lyricist David Zippel, a song called "The Ingénue" that satirized the role that Ms. Cook had played early in her career. "Ingénues must pay their dues with unrelenting tedium," she complains, and yet notes that paying one's dues doesn't necessarily result in success: "Movie roles you live to play/They give to Shirley Jones to do," a reference to the part of Marian in the movie version of "The Music Man," which went to Ms. Cook's rival."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/13/arts/music/13harper.html

A few years ago, I was playing for a concert/cabaret that Emily Skinner was performing at one of her old haunts in Virginia.  One of the numbers we performed was called "Here Comes The Ballad" which was also written by Wally Harper for Barbara Cook.  Very fun, and soooo cliche ridden that it was/is true!  I can't remember any exact lyrics right now, but it pointed out things like "the mysterious intro", the awkwardly placed high notes, the inevitable slightly un-melodic passage, the ingenue making a slow entrance onto the stage, etc...  Very funny.

-I wonder if the song has ever been recorded?

On your Mark!  Get set!  Go!  Start Googling!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 07:31:12 AM »

Yes DRJOSE is recalling RODGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN: THE SOUND OF MOVIES.  I don't think there is any film of Mr Sinatra, but some wardrobe stills are shown while Mr Sinatra's recording of one of the songs is played.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 07:31:53 AM »

Meat loaf made with green onions.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2004, 07:32:26 AM »

Are you SURE you're an American Jose? ;)

Je me souviens.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2004, 07:34:41 AM »

Yes DRJOSE is recalling RODGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN: THE SOUND OF MOVIES.  I don't think there is any film of Mr Sinatra, but some wardrobe stills are shown while Mr Sinatra's recording of one of the songs is played.

Hmmm.. But I do vividly recall seeing some footage of Mr. Sinatra singing "Soliloquy"... Maybe it was in the American Masters program on Mr. Sinatra.  Hmmm...???
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2004, 07:39:33 AM »

That was quite a wake up call Jose!

Meat: I love meat!

A good chunk of prime rib is my favorite!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2004, 07:40:23 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day:

I'm a big fan of braising, so.. pot roast - especially the "Chinese Pot Roast" my mom makes, short ribs, brandade (nice recipe in this month's "Cook's Illustrated"), sauerbraten, brisket, etc.  I also like a good true chili - all meat, no beans.  Pork roasts, roast chicken, etc...

I've tried Kobe Beef a few times, and I like it, but I don't think it's "all that".  -I guess I've gotten used to leaner cuts of beef, and I find myself tasting the fat in the meat rather than the beef.  However, I still remember my first real, steak - dry-sged beef, just the right amount of marbling, just a touch of char on the outside, still succulent and juicy on the inside... Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up