Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE GRECIAN URN  (Read 76506 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:ONE GRECIAN URN
« Reply #240 on: January 07, 2007, 09:36:03 AM »

As for "You're The One That I Want"...  While walking past Madison Square Garden last night, there was a group of guys in gals... The young women were dressed in hot pink jackets, and the young men were in all black greaser outfits...  Yes, a promotional stunt for the program.  And there were even some people handing out postcards, saying, "Vote for me!"  -Or they might have been saying, "Be sure to vote."  -Since I don't think NBC would allow such a thing to occur.  Or maybe they would.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #241 on: January 07, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »

But I will be watching since I know a bunch of people behind the table and behind the scenes.  And, lemme tell you, that casting office will be going crazy over the next couple of weeks.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #242 on: January 07, 2007, 09:38:23 AM »

WOW!  Page 9!!!!

Well... Come on!

You

Can

Win

Her

Yet.

Shipoopi!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2007, 09:38:40 AM »

LOL DR ELMORE.  

Allison always said she wanted to tackle George Bernard Shaw's St Joan onstage...and I am sure there would have been an audience for that!

Just picturing this made me burst into laughter. Of course I was reading it literally.  :D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »

Edisaurus- I just meant I wondered if we were ever in the same DREAM Athens at the same time.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2007, 09:40:57 AM »

Waffle House rules. I went to one last summer in Ohio. In Atlanta though, there were 5 within one mile of my mom's house. I remember those juke box songs about Waffle House. Something about a cook named Joe.

There is/was another cousin of WH down south called Huddle House. That was kind of good. Anyone know if that is still around?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2007, 09:41:53 AM »

Question: In the last Broadway version, did they use that song and others exclusively from the movie?

No.  They tried to, but the songwriters would not release the rights for the production - unlike they did for the precedent UK production.  -Which is why "Since I Don't Have You" ended up in the production (in place of "Hopelessly Devoted To You").
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #247 on: January 07, 2007, 09:44:01 AM »

But some of the latest touring versions of Grease have been allowed to incorporate some of the movie songs.  -Mainly due to the participation of Frankie Valli as Teen Angel.  He would get to sing the title song from the movie.  And then get his own curtain call/mini-concert at the end of the evening.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #248 on: January 07, 2007, 09:46:52 AM »

Has no one watched the behind-the-scenes extra on the DVD? Most unseemly!

Actually it's not one of my favorite things, but I had fun editing it! WB left me completely alone and didn't have any changes.

I didn't have a DVD player when this was released so I've never watched the BTS. (The company gave me a copy on Laserdisc, but I didn't have a player, so I gave it to a friend who did.)

Maybe I'll open the DVD I bought a few years ago and finally watch it!

Which DVD?  "The Music Man"?
Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #249 on: January 07, 2007, 09:47:44 AM »

Thoughts on THE MUSIC MAN:

It is a big part of my life, having been born in Gary, Indiana, I am often serenaded with this tune.

As a kid, we had one of those paperback books that would come out that had all the lyrics, dialogue and pictures from the Broadway show. My dad memorized the whole opening train sequence. "Yes sir. Yes sir. The piper pays you!"

Saw a production up in a playhouse in Vermont a few years ago. The Harold Hill was good, but sweated so much it was sort of painful to watch.

I consider the Matthew Broderick version one of the greatest non-fatal crimes of the last decade.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #250 on: January 07, 2007, 09:49:20 AM »

Well... Time for me to get ready for brunch!  And a late-ish brunch at that.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #251 on: January 07, 2007, 09:50:15 AM »

Sarava![/i]
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #252 on: January 07, 2007, 09:51:22 AM »

DR ELMORE,
For those of us relatively new to HHW, could you fill us in? Or maybe some other H/K would do so in your honor?
DR Jeanne,  my love for THE FANTASTICKS goes back to 1964, my 17th summer.  I had discovered THREEPENNY OPERA and it was the last production for the season at Cincinnati's Playhouse in the Park, directed by Word Baker, who directed THE FANTASTICKS and was then director of the Playhouse.  In the Programme there was a note that THE FANTASTICKS would be added to the season and open the following week (the Macheath, Polly, and one of the gang had all been Off-Broadway replacements in the show and this would be THE FANTASTICKS' second appearance in Cincinnati; in fact, the old Playhouse had the same seating arrangement as The Sullivan Street Theatre).  I knew nothing of the show, but the Tom McElfrish (??) review in the Cincinnati Enquirer was titled "Life Is Just A Bowl Of Charades" and I was intrigued, so I bought tickets for the same friends with whom I'd seen THREEPENNY OPERA.  The first Saturday of September 1964, about a week before my 18th birthday, I saw Act One of THE FANTASTICKS, bought the recording at intermission, saw Act Two, and went home to play the recording several times before morning.  Within a month, I owned the vocal score, and within two months, I played it every day in a rehearsal studio at Miami University.  Between 1964 and 1972, I played harpsichord (harpists cost too much) for one production, saw three or four others including an over-produced revival by Word Baker as a Christmas treat in the huge new Playhouse in the Park theatre,  Sometime around 1978, I finally directed the show and ended up playing the Old Actor because I couldn't find another, and DR Ginny played The Mute, because DR Ginny doesn't have the vocal chops to play Luisa.  DR Ginny is an adequate singer but one of the finest actresses, amateur or professional, I've ever worked with.

When I got to New York, in 1979, I finally saw several times the original Sullivan Street staging of THE FANTASTICKS, and I always left the theatre feeling I was 18 again.  It still happens now.  In 1992, I started working with BK, and through him, I met Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones.  One of my favorite projects was COLETTE COLLAGE, and It led me to score MIRETTE with Harvey and Tom at Goodspeed in 1998.  The score was good, the libretto not so much, and outside of a sloppy horn player, I had a wonderful band.   I was also lucky to stay in the same house for 6 weeks with Harvey, Tom, Tom's wife Janet, and their sons Sam and Mike, whom I now regard as godchildren.  When I had major surgery in 1999, Janet told the doctors she was my sister, and when I woke up in recovery feeling like garbage, she was there saying "Oh, you look so good!"  

I think the world of Messrs Jones and Schmidt, and I am both privileged and extremely lucky that a purchase of four tickets on a whim to see a show in August 1964 led to such wonderful friends.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 10:12:49 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #253 on: January 07, 2007, 09:52:14 AM »

DR elmore - It wasn't all about sausage.  I mentioned a baguette too.  ::)

And sometimes a cigar is a cigar!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #254 on: January 07, 2007, 09:52:50 AM »

Dustin Hoffman-
I had kind of written him off, but thought he was great in I HEART HUCKABEES.

I like him in several older movies, but am always surprised at how much of his dialogue has to be dubbed in.

Ginny

« Reply #255 on: January 07, 2007, 09:58:40 AM »

Oh, DR Elmore, you've made me cry!

But in a happy way - thank you  :-*
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 09:59:41 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #256 on: January 07, 2007, 09:59:31 AM »

Ron, I don't mean to get personal, but just what do you do when one eye wants to sleep and the other does not?

Aaaargh!

I gets me patch out and wears it!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #257 on: January 07, 2007, 10:02:10 AM »

Thoughts on THE MUSIC MAN:

As a kid, we had one of those paperback books that would come out that had all the lyrics, dialogue and pictures from the Broadway show. My dad memorized the whole opening train sequence. "Yes sir. Yes sir. The piper pays you!"

I have a book exactly like that with photos from the movie.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2007, 10:03:12 AM »

Aaaargh!

I gets me patch out and wears it!

And what does the parrot perched on your shoulder think of this drag? :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #259 on: January 07, 2007, 10:03:17 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up! I'm up!

And so is (was?) DR Ron Pulliam.

;)

Up again.  Yes I am.

I think I'll probably nap once or twice this afternoon.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #260 on: January 07, 2007, 10:03:57 AM »

I had that book once!  I loved it.

Ginny

« Reply #261 on: January 07, 2007, 10:05:43 AM »

I had that same book, DR Ron, but cut it up (yes, a librarian  :o) to use the photos for some project in graduate (library science) school.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #262 on: January 07, 2007, 10:06:17 AM »

DR Elmore:   My college did "The Fantasticks" the first semester of my Junior Year (1968).  As a theater major, I was required to meet the audition requirement of preparing a song to sing.

I was not a singer, had never had to do anything other than "blend" with other voices in anything.

My song was "What Kind of Fool Am I?"  During my audition, my right arm went numb.  After the last note I left the theater, certain that would be that and that I'd be working backstage in some manner.

I was called back to read for Matt and had to learn three of Matt's songs for the callback.

I got the part.  It was the best thing that had ever happened to me in my life up to that time (and, in many ways, since).

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2007, 10:08:34 AM »

DR Jeanne,  my love for THE FANTASTICKS goes back to 1964, my 17th summer.  I had discovered THREEPENNY OPERA ...and I am both privileged and extremely lucky that a purchase of four tickets on a whim to see a show in August 1964 led to such wonderful friends.

What a lovely story! Thank you. Isn't it interesting how a chance encounter can have such an influence on our lives?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #264 on: January 07, 2007, 10:08:48 AM »

Nap, Ron? Why bother? You need to set the record for most hours of a day logged on and posting. Nap another day!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #265 on: January 07, 2007, 10:10:10 AM »

Wow! we are already on page 9!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #266 on: January 07, 2007, 10:10:11 AM »

DR Elmore:   My college did "The Fantasticks" the first semester of my Junior Year (1968).  As a theater major, I was required to meet the audition requirement of preparing a song to sing.

I was not a singer, had never had to do anything other than "blend" with other voices in anything.

My song was "What Kind of Fool Am I?"  During my audition, my right arm went numb.  After the last note I left the theater, certain that would be that and that I'd be working backstage in some manner.

I was called back to read for Matt and had to learn three of Matt's songs for the callback.

I got the part.  It was the best thing that had ever happened to me in my life up to that time (and, in many ways, since).

That's a wonderful story!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #267 on: January 07, 2007, 10:10:35 AM »

Come to think of it, my paperback may have been photos from the movie. It must have been, right? I'll have to ask one of my sisters.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #268 on: January 07, 2007, 10:10:53 AM »

Ron, did you see my question about BART last night?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ginny

« Reply #269 on: January 07, 2007, 10:11:45 AM »

...It was the best thing that had ever happened to me in my life up to that time (and, in many ways, since).

That's exactly how I feel about my Fantasticks experience.  Not only was it great on stage, off-stage DH Richard and I were falling in love about that time.  While Matt and Luisa sang They Were You, I stood on the step ladder and channeled my feelings to where I thought Richard was out in the audience (no glasses, you know).  We used that song as part the pre-ceremony music for our wedding.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28   Go Up