Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE GRECIAN URN  (Read 76493 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:ONE GRECIAN URN
« Reply #450 on: January 07, 2007, 01:32:22 PM »

Ok, ok, you people have forced me to put THE MUSIC MAN into my NETFLIX queue.

Did you select the Robert Preston one or the Matthew Broderick one? Both are available on DVD.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

FJL

« Reply #451 on: January 07, 2007, 01:32:43 PM »

And another one for Marian

Matt H.

« Reply #452 on: January 07, 2007, 01:33:06 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Page Sixteen Dance!!![/move]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #453 on: January 07, 2007, 01:34:19 PM »

Dustin Hoffman-
I had kind of written him off, but thought he was great in I HEART HUCKABEES.

I like him in several older movies, but am always surprised at how much of his dialogue has to be dubbed in.
Hey, Marni Nixon can do just about anything!!!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #454 on: January 07, 2007, 01:35:31 PM »

Then I put in LARA CROFT TOMB RAIDER: THE CRADLE OF LIFE.

It IS a better film than the first one. Silly, it's an empty-headed adventure, but popcorn movies are just fine sometimes, and this one has action to burn. That amazing shot of Jolie and Gerard Butler (and their doubles) jumping off a building in those gliding suits is simply amazing. Too bad this film isn't on Blu-ray (the first one is). I'll bet some of these shots and stunts would look amazing in HD.

I only got 70 minutes in, so there's more to come.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 01:36:02 PM by Matt H. »

Ginny

« Reply #455 on: January 07, 2007, 01:37:00 PM »

Was Sarah Jessica Parker playing Annie when the show closed in January, 1983?  If so, DH Richard and I might have seen her, and Harve Presnell (be still, my heart) as Daddy Warbucks, when we were in NYC for the week between Christmas 1982 and New Year's 1983.  Unfortunately, I cannot find my Playbills from the 8 shows we saw in those 7 days, so cannot verify my hunch.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #456 on: January 07, 2007, 01:39:10 PM »

I thought I remembered a second Hardy mystery from THE MICKEY MOUSE CLUB, but in talking with someone yesterday about it, I talked myself out of it saying that maybe I was confusing it with the second SPIN & MARTY serial.

Anyway, I'm hoping Disney will release this one in another year or so. I'd love to have both of them.

Well, I demand that Disney release ANNETTE first! I haz spoken!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #457 on: January 07, 2007, 01:39:46 PM »

DR Cillaliz:  Every time I've ever met someone from Iowa I've always told them I've never been there but that I've heard so much about it that there are several places I'd like to visit.

Inevitably, the person will ask, "Where"?

And I reply:

"Oh...Dubuqe, Des Moines, Davenport, Mashalltown, Mason City, Keokuk, Ames, Clear Lake...yes, I'd like to give Iowa a try."

More often than not, I'll get a smile and a chuckle.  But there is the occasional glassy-eyed stare.

When it's performed in local productions, this line is almost always changed to the towns in the area...it's a cheesy thing to do, but done a lot.

Come on over Ron, you can have the fill of all the food you bring yourself

MBarnum

« Reply #458 on: January 07, 2007, 01:40:29 PM »

The Robert Preston version, MattH.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #459 on: January 07, 2007, 01:40:50 PM »

Did you select the Robert Preston one or the Matthew Broderick one? Both are available on DVD.

I prefer the Preston one
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ginny

« Reply #460 on: January 07, 2007, 01:41:05 PM »

Please, please, please, DR MBarnum, tell us it's the Robert Preston version.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #461 on: January 07, 2007, 01:41:49 PM »

WHEW!!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #462 on: January 07, 2007, 01:42:03 PM »

Hello, fellow Dear Readers. My, you have all been busy!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #463 on: January 07, 2007, 01:42:42 PM »

Didnt PBS do a recording of Annie with Sarah Jessica Parker?  I vaguely remember seeing a taped stage version one time many moons ago
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

FJL

« Reply #464 on: January 07, 2007, 01:43:25 PM »

Does anyone remember the series of Annette Funicello LPs that went by the name HAWAIIANNETTE, ITALIANNETTE and such.  

I smile just thinking about them.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2007, 01:43:50 PM »

Matthew Broderick just does not have that spark and magic that Robert Preston has.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2007, 01:44:39 PM »

Hello, fellow Dear Readers. My, you have all been busy!

We decided to come out and play early.. .Jump in the water is fine!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 01:46:26 PM by DakotaCelt »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #467 on: January 07, 2007, 01:47:04 PM »

Back from the jog.

The Matthew Broderick Music Man is one of the ten worst TV or movie movies I've ever seen.  He was terrible - you wouldn't buy a pencil from his Harold Hill, let alone think he was by-God spellbinder.  His delivery of Ya Got Trouble was about as bad as it gets.  And Chenoweth was terrible, too - a little pipsqueak Marian.  Victor Garber as Mayor Shinn.  That was about as funny as a colonoscopy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2007, 01:47:30 PM »

I must leave in about five or ten minutes.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #469 on: January 07, 2007, 01:48:04 PM »

I don't know that we've ever had a day with this many postings this EARLY.  If we keep up this pace, it will definitely be a top five day.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #470 on: January 07, 2007, 01:49:01 PM »

Ok, ok, you people have forced me to put THE MUSIC MAN into my NETFLIX queue.

DR MBarnum, you're not a Shirley Jones fan, so I doubt you'll ever watch the complete film.  I'm taking a break with the end of Act One of the film.  The library dance is so wonderful!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #471 on: January 07, 2007, 01:49:10 PM »

Was Sarah Jessica Parker playing Annie when the show closed in January, 1983?  If so, DH Richard and I might have seen her, and Harve Presnell (be still, my heart) as Daddy Warbucks, when we were in NYC for the week between Christmas 1982 and New Year's 1983.  Unfortunately, I cannot find my Playbills from the 8 shows we saw in those 7 days, so cannot verify my hunch.

I saw Andrea McArdle as Annie when it previewed in Washington DC.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #472 on: January 07, 2007, 01:49:47 PM »

We're almost in the top ten, before two o'clock my time.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #473 on: January 07, 2007, 01:50:10 PM »

Keep the home fries burning until my returning.  Ya wild kid, ya.

Cillaliz

« Reply #474 on: January 07, 2007, 01:50:23 PM »

That's the best one....if that one is on I'll watch and sing along....

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #475 on: January 07, 2007, 01:51:06 PM »

I prefer the Preston one

Well, duh!  Who doesn't? The Matthew Broderick version should be sold in rolls in your grocery's toilet paper aisle.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #476 on: January 07, 2007, 01:51:28 PM »

I don't dislike Shirley Jones, I just didin't think she was so great in Carousel and Oklahoma. It is Robert Preston who I used to not like as much...but I saw him recently on WHAT'S MY LINE or some such old game show and he was so funny and charming that I changed my mind about him.

Cillaliz

« Reply #477 on: January 07, 2007, 01:52:31 PM »

There's something so rare about the Iowa way we greet you, if we greet you, which we may not do at all.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #478 on: January 07, 2007, 01:53:02 PM »

I have many stories about "activities" at the Anvil, which I will gladly NOT share 8)

der Brucer

PS The ones about the Meat Rack are better!
You are going to have to elaborate, dear.  You know what happens when I get curious about something.   :o

(Yes, even after twenty years, he hasn't told me everything.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #479 on: January 07, 2007, 01:54:09 PM »

When Shirley Jones got to "Being in Love," and I do prefer "My White Knight" in its various permutations, I thought about the story of Meredith Willson's mother in his book on the show (Why isn't that great book in print?) BUT HE DOESN'T KNOW THE TERRITORY.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Up