Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Down

Author Topic: ONE GRECIAN URN  (Read 76490 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:ONE GRECIAN URN
« Reply #720 on: January 07, 2007, 08:36:14 PM »

More re: the grease show.

discussion of tonight's show.

...But they will never choose hte 40 yr old. I really did not like him and cannot see him in this role at all (playing a 17 yr old???).

There are lots of 40 year-olds who can pass for 17. Like me.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #721 on: January 07, 2007, 08:37:37 PM »

I did watch the GREASE reality show. It's an AMERICAN IDOL wannabe, of course, even down to having the British producer of the show attempting to be a Straw Hat Circuit Simon Cowell.

The audition process that the public sees on TV is exactly like IDOL's: we get some up close and personal time with a few selected contestants (both good and bad), the singing auditions are done a cappella, and we never get to know some of the people at all who move on to the next round.

I also wanted VERY much to see the entire dance routine they had to learn (I guess it's the dancer in me that wanted to see the combination that was giving so many of them fits), but we only got tiny snippets here and there which made it VERY frustrating and nearly impossible to be able to assess how anyone was actually doing and what their chances of being passed to the next round were.

That bunch of folks from Chicago weren't in general a very talented bunch at all.

Still, I'll continue tuning in. I'm fortunate that there's nothing else I watch at 8 p.m.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #722 on: January 07, 2007, 08:41:46 PM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES had one of those episodes that irritated the crap out of me. I've never seen Lynette make such stupid decisions (she used to be SO smart), and Kayla is like mother/like daughter ridiculous. In one season, my favorite character on the show (Lynette) has become my least favorite.

Matt H.

« Reply #723 on: January 07, 2007, 08:43:31 PM »

On the other hand BROTHERS & SISTERS offered up another beautiful episode filled with dramatic and comic situations that made me laugh and cry. I think Rob Lowe's character is going to be an asset to the show, and Jason Lewis joins the cast next week which I can't wait to see.

I really love this show!.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #724 on: January 07, 2007, 08:47:03 PM »

DR Ron, it's the Philadelphia Eagles in football.

The Phillies are their baseball team.

Ah, yes...I remember it well.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #725 on: January 07, 2007, 08:51:36 PM »

I have the "Grease" show auditions on in the background as I type this.

So many untalented folks.  Some have voices that might be trainable.

But what strikes me so significantly, not just with this, but in general, is that our western society has devolved significantly into a society in which true talent gets dismissed in favor of "adequate."

I think folks appreciate "adequate" more because it's something they can aspire to.  True talent is a gift, and few have received it.

With so many people wanting to be famous or to touch fame, they're more than ready to fantasize their inadequacies into "adequate" if the standard remains "adequacy."

(Does that make sense?)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #726 on: January 07, 2007, 08:54:25 PM »

Another reason I've waxed on about "adequate" is that I was listening to some files from last season's "American Idol"...specifically, some Elliott Yamin and some Kellie Pickler; some Mandisa and Ayla Brown; and some Lisa Tucker.

There was REAL talent there.

But the "people" loved Taylor and Katherine.  Both induce yawns in me.  Always did.

Elliott's vocals remain vibrant and interesting and well-nuanced.  

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #727 on: January 07, 2007, 08:55:13 PM »

I'm off now to witness the last few moments of the show and then to jump to ABC and watch my Sunday evening stories!

Matt H.

« Reply #728 on: January 07, 2007, 08:56:35 PM »

It is POURING down rain here. It's been raining on and off all afternoon, but this is SERIOUS rain. Glug!

Matt H.

« Reply #729 on: January 07, 2007, 08:57:32 PM »

I'm off to bed now.

Good night!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #730 on: January 07, 2007, 08:57:53 PM »

It is POURING down rain here. It's been raining on and off all afternoon, but this is SERIOUS rain. Glug!

Well, parts of the New York city "viewing area" are under a low level flood watch right now... :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #731 on: January 07, 2007, 09:04:49 PM »

I will not watch the Grease show - just another amateur hour and more on the road to the amateurization of this and other countries.  It really does nauseate me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #732 on: January 07, 2007, 09:05:34 PM »

Finished Operation Crossbow and may try to start another film, but I mustn't stay up late as I have to be at Vinnie's at ten to hopefully finish the mix (or get close to it).

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #733 on: January 07, 2007, 09:06:21 PM »

When it's performed in local productions, this line is almost always changed to the towns in the area

When they get to the part about "but we'll give you our shirt, and the back to go with it" it always makes me tear up!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #734 on: January 07, 2007, 09:08:30 PM »

Casting Matthew Broderick as HH was a sacriledge! I think I would have rather seen Frank Sinatra, the original choice for the movie. No one will ever top Preston.(Craig Bierko did a credible impersonation, but that was all it was...)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #735 on: January 07, 2007, 09:10:27 PM »

Good heavens--what are all you people doing here on a Sunday night at this hour?  Is there a fire or something?  And twenty-five pages!  I'll never catch up tonight!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

« Reply #736 on: January 07, 2007, 09:12:58 PM »

I think I have taken to this program rather quickly.

What program are you using?

FJL

« Reply #737 on: January 07, 2007, 09:14:20 PM »

Page 25!!!!!!!  There must be something in the water.

All this talk of Robert Preston, and nary a mention of his final screen performance in The Last Starfighter.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #738 on: January 07, 2007, 09:16:14 PM »

Oh...

When I was in high school, I was in our school's production of The Music Man.  I played/sang the role of Oliver Hix, the baritone in the barbershop quartet.

I also MD'd a small regional production a couple of years ago.  That was an interesting experience.  The director came into the show not really liking the song "My White Knight" - she even wanted to see if there was a way to cut it.  She also was not too keen on the barbershop quartet material - however, I believe that was more due to the fact that it took a while for our four guys to blend, meld, than the songs themselves.  Well, after much lobbying and subtle "hints" from me, she eventually came to love "My White Knight", and I totally turned her around on all the School Board numbers.  -In fact, "It's You" and "Lida Rose"/"Will I Ever Tell You" turned out to be some of the productions most well-received numbers.  :)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 09:17:48 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

« Reply #739 on: January 07, 2007, 09:17:36 PM »

Boo was feeling left out, so she posed for this shot

Boo is so adorable---and she actually looks like she feels left out.

How I love a tux cat!

Paul is a very good painter. Is he the one who painted your house, too? Does it now have stripes? ;)

FJL

« Reply #740 on: January 07, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »

Sort-of interestingly, there was a one-man show called YA GOT TROUBLE about the life of Robert Preston which had a run in Seattle a couple of years back.

When we did our Seattle presentation of the Last Starfighter musical last summer, the fellow who played the Robert Preston role was the same fellow who had played Preston in the one-man show.

Where else on the internet could you get that kind of information, especially at this late hour?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #741 on: January 07, 2007, 09:22:50 PM »

And as for the semi-recent Broadway revival... I liked it.  Didn't love it.  But liked it.  Alas, I was "surprised" by some of the new musical arrangements.  Why fix it when it ain't broke?!?!?

Strangely enough, I never saw Craig Bierko as Harold Hill.  The first night I went, he was out, and it turned out to be Jim Walton's first night on (as his understudy).  Then I saw it again with Eric McCormick.

However... It was during that run, that my "Craig Bierko thing" started happening.  It seemed that whenever I went to Joe Allen, Craig Bierko would end up sitting a table next to me, or sitting a few seats away from me at the bar.  -And he was always with a different woman/actress.  -And that's sort of related to my "Donna Murphy thing" - there were a string of times that we would end up dining at Rachel's at the same time.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #742 on: January 07, 2007, 09:27:35 PM »

Here is a link to a segment of a video I shot of Judy Kaye recording her song from Jeepers Creepers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYdTxIKe4UM
Never stop dreaming.

Edisaurus

« Reply #743 on: January 07, 2007, 09:30:09 PM »

Due to the influence of our own DR Edisaurus, I have been adding documentary films to my NetFlix queue...a few I even moved to the top of my queue.

Right now I am watching SHANGHAI GHETTO which is about European (and some Arab) Jews who left their homes in the late 30s to flee the Nazis, leaving by boat to the only place that would take them...a very poor section of bustling Shanghai, China.

If you like that, you might like the last Merchant Ivory film, "The White Countess", with the Redgraves as Russian immigrants to Shanghai in 1936...they were wealthy society types who left during the Russian Revolution and forced to live in poverty. It's a really beautiful film, edited by a dear friend (who introduced me to my DH) and of course, Ralph Fiennes is indeed fine!

Michael

« Reply #744 on: January 07, 2007, 09:34:12 PM »

I will be putting up on youtube my video of Disneyland recorded by Jodi Benson and produced by BK
Never stop dreaming.

Edisaurus

« Reply #745 on: January 07, 2007, 09:34:27 PM »

Hmm... If there's gonna be this much editing and built-in, built-up drama... I don't think I'm gonna make it to the final rounds.  :-\

Damn those editors!

Edisaurus

« Reply #746 on: January 07, 2007, 09:39:01 PM »

Hmm... If you sprinkle some powdered, dried porcini mushrooms on it, you could have a Bistecca a la Fiorentina.  And if you haven't selected a vegetable, if you have some broccoli rabe...

How I love broccoli rabe...had it for the first time in Italy when we were shooting for S&V and have never been able to find any as yummy in Atlanta.

Edisaurus

« Reply #747 on: January 07, 2007, 09:43:03 PM »

That was as bad a move on the Academy producer's part as the nonsensical presentation of music from the Oscar-nominated scores that Debbie Allen choreographed for tap dancers the year that "Schindler's List" won.

Was that worse than the Rob Lowe/Snow White number?

Edisaurus

« Reply #748 on: January 07, 2007, 09:45:34 PM »

After HORSES, I shall watch THE MUSIC MAN - beginning with DR EDSAURUS' documentary....which I haven't watched for many years.

Yay! I was thinking of watching it, too. I just got home from 5 hours of painting and can't move my arm! Ouch!

Edisaurus

« Reply #749 on: January 07, 2007, 09:47:44 PM »

Awesome house, Ann! You are going to love it there!
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 28   Go Up