Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A STATE  (Read 31197 times)

Danise

Re:IN A STATE
« Reply #150 on: August 25, 2005, 05:28:08 PM »

And many other vibes to our Floridians.

More later, film at 11.

Thanks for the vibes, DR Stuart but I think we're going to dodge that bullet.    :)

I didn't get to tell  you about the lawn mower.  It's WONDERFUL!  I did the entire yard, front and back in under 30 minutes.  Of course, you would have laughed when you first saw me use it.  It almost dragged me across the lawn (as I feared it might) until I got the hang of the controls.  

Have a good evening all.  I'm just a bit tired tonight.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #151 on: August 25, 2005, 05:31:20 PM »

Before I go....

Page 6 dance!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2005, 05:31:32 PM »

Today is National Banana Split Day!

(I'm fairly sure that's in reference to the ice cream and fruit concoction, and not the Hanna-Barbara concoction.)

LOL When I was a kid I was a member of the Official Banana Splits Fan Club. I found my membership booklet not long ago

Cillaliz

« Reply #153 on: August 25, 2005, 05:39:45 PM »

BB6 Julie isn't wearing sparkled, but Rachael is!

Cillaliz

« Reply #154 on: August 25, 2005, 05:41:29 PM »

Oops I'm wrong. Julie's earrings sparkle

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: August 25, 2005, 05:51:04 PM »

I shall now be on my way to the Jones's for supper.  After which, I shall return.  Keep the home fries burning.

Cillaliz

« Reply #156 on: August 25, 2005, 05:55:16 PM »

BB6 SPOILERS

Oh poop! Ape woman is HOH. Not sure I can watch this much longer.

Jennifer

« Reply #157 on: August 25, 2005, 06:12:07 PM »

Big Brother non-spoiler.

What was up with julie's necklace?  I couldn't stop staring at it!  

I think i liked it. But it was so big, and did not go with her dress or earrings.

MBarnum

« Reply #158 on: August 25, 2005, 06:33:30 PM »

BK, tonight on Adam-12 Reed and Malloy ate at Biff’s Restaurant. Do you remember such a place? And if so, where was it located (next door to it was International Fine Arts).

That is my BK question, which of course should have been asked on Wednesday.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #159 on: August 25, 2005, 06:42:20 PM »

Good Evening!

What a day this has been
What a rare mood I'm in
Why it's
Almost like being in...

Well... Maybe not that good, but still a very good day.  :)

As other New York city area DRs have mentioned, it was - and still is - a gorgeous day here in NYC.  Low 70s, breezy, sunny.  Beautiful.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #160 on: August 25, 2005, 07:00:22 PM »

Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #161 on: August 25, 2005, 07:00:33 PM »

Matthew let me know how the Madeline’s turn out.

Elan it was nice to see you.

Danise you need a smam blocker  :o

Jane

« Reply #162 on: August 25, 2005, 07:01:51 PM »

Michael how are the winds out your way?

I hope Jason is enjoying his evening with such beautiful weather.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #163 on: August 25, 2005, 07:05:03 PM »

Got the Astaire/Rogers set (had a bunch of credit at Amoeba), also got The Red Tent, which I've never seen (stars Sean Connery and is a big production from the early 70s), and also got a new region 2 DVD of the Peter Cook/Dudley Moore Bedazzled, which happily is widescreen and enhanced - can't wait.  Also got the new DVD of The Killing of Sister George, which, according to the box, is finally enhanced for widescreen TVs.  The original release wasn't, and the region 2, whose box stated that it was, wasn't either.

BK, you will either love THE RED TENT or you will hate it.  Personally, I love the film, but then, I am a little bit off the deep end of a wading pool.  I believe the film is a Russian - Yugoslavian production; and in addtion to Mr. Connery, the film has Peter Finch and Capucine.

For years I told all my friends (well, both of them) about this great movie, so when THE RED TENT was released on video we had a big viewing party............ I was the only one who didn't fall asleep.

Good luck!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #164 on: August 25, 2005, 07:11:12 PM »

Craig has mentioned the floods in Romania for awhile now.  Either he hasn’t been telling all or the news is exaggerating.  ::) I can only find generalized information and I’m not familiar with the names of the towns I’ve seen mentioned.  Well, except for Bucharest and Craig didn’t mention any flooding there, or about any of the areas we are planning to visit.

Before going to Romania we are planning a day trip from Munich to Salzburg.  I did read Salzburg was flooded.

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: August 25, 2005, 07:19:12 PM »

Jose, it's Susan Senn at Circa 21. She isn't married, well not anymore, but he wasn't a sound guy so it must not be the same person you're thinking of. Randy Yackle also played there, but they both play piano, so I doubt you would have been there when they were there.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: August 25, 2005, 07:34:59 PM »

Jose, it's Susan Senn at Circa 21. She isn't married, well not anymore, but he wasn't a sound guy so it must not be the same person you're thinking of. Randy Yackle also played there, but they both play piano, so I doubt you would have been there when they were there.

Nope.  I guess not.  Neither of those names rings a bell, distant or otherwise.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: August 25, 2005, 07:39:05 PM »

DR MBarnum - Ripley-Grier as in... Well, Ripley-Grier Studios.  I did read a blurb once about who Ripley and Grier were/are, but that bit of history escapes me at this moment.

;)

In any case...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #168 on: August 25, 2005, 07:44:42 PM »

I listened again to the OBC of Funny Girl.... I hadn't done that in a long time... and WOW! that Streisand lady was quite something then. So much power, passion and life in her singing... and boy does she SING all the notes and do we understand every word, which is something I can't say of the soundtrack for the film version!

A good advise: do listen again to FUNNY GIRL the original Broadway recording!
You may not remember how good it is.

Comes second behind GYPSY, imho!

Some people probably are aware in the face off for the Best Score Tony in 1964, HELLO, DOLLY, of course, won over FUNNY GIRL, but in the Grammy face off for Best Show Album, FUNNY GIRL beat HELLO, DOLLY! (and I think deservedly so).

Jerry Herman did win a Grammy that year, but it was for Song of the Year.

Two years later, Herman lost the Tony for Best Score for MAME to Mitch Leigh's MAN OF LA MANCHA but at the Grammys, MAME won Best Show Album over MAN OF LA MANCHA.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: August 25, 2005, 07:45:54 PM »

So...

I walk into Ripley-Grier this morning to play some auditions for the current tour of Evita.  They were casting for some replacements in the male ensemble.  The dance captain/assistant choreographer was teaching the combinations.  She then mentioned that she was going to get Larry.  Larry who?  Well, it turned out to be Larry Fuller.  The original choreographer for Evita among many other shows.  And then he started refining and teaching some of the steps.  Truly fascinating and wonderful to watch.  I actually got a little star struck.

...And then I was asked to come back for a few more days of auditions in a few weeks.  At that time, Harold Prince will be in the room.

:o
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: August 25, 2005, 07:53:13 PM »

Dealing with the public:

I am not of the opinion that the customer is always right.  I always go out of my way to deal openly and honestly with customers, but if they behave unreasonably or are just plain wrong, then I don't care who they are, and if that loses me some customers in the long run, that's just tough beans.
There is, unfortunately, a big difference between dealing with customers of your own organization, and with customers of a company you work for.

There is this unfortunate attitude with some of the public where, when they don't get what they want in the way that they want, they feel justified in making the person they are dealing with (a.k.a. Jason, or myself at the cash register) the object of their vilification.  It takes practice to develop a thick "skin" of outward projection, so that their rudeness simply rolls off.  When faced with these situations, I simply remind myself that they are really venting against the situation, and not against myself personally.  I then focus on the next customer, who is usually a true charmer, grateful for every assistance I can give.

The true villian in the scenario that Jason has given us is his supervisor, who has not learned how to roll with the punches.  Instead, said supervisor has decided to make Jason the villian (as if he could ever be one!), and written an e-mail to his own supervisor targeting Jason.

This is reprehensible behavior, as far as I am concerned.  Jason is right to be outraged.

The best response would be for Jason to write an e-mail in response, to the uber-supervisor, explaining his actions in as non-emotional language as he can.  If I were Jason, I would not even mention his direct supervisor, except to explain that he was taking the initiative to stop an inflamitory situation early, rather than let it continue further and disrupt the corporate structure.  I would appologize for any impropriety the action I'd taken, and ask for advice as to what action should be taken, should the situation arise at a later date.

In other words, I would remain a cool, cool, considerate man.  And I'd leave it to the ubersupervisor to decide what action needed to be taken next.

(By the way, I've been there, done that.  I had a supervisor who wanted me fired for her own incompetence.  I was able to get transferred to another department, after having a conversation with our ubersupervisor.  The supervisor who had been my nemisis then got fired, when it became clear that she was the cause of the problems.  About two years later, der B and I ran into her again...outside a gay nightclub.  She was entering, we were exiting.  She immediately tried to pump me for information about what was happening at the company, buddy-buddying me about how we gay people should cling together, about how our uberboss was homophobic, and how she was sueing the company for wrongful, discriminatory termination.  I wasn't buying.  I'd been out of the closet for years, she'd hidden, and I was the one who was still around.  I managed to skitter away from her clutches, and reported the conversation to the powers that be.  It's the only time I've ever purposely outed anyone, and I don't feel sorry about it one bit.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: August 25, 2005, 07:54:16 PM »

HER CARDBOARD LOVER was an interesting film. Easy to see why it flopped in 1942 - too frivolous and underwritten for mass consumption. But the entire time I was watching it, I kept thinking that had it been made in 1936 or 1937, it might have had the same success as MY MAN GODFREY or THE AWFUL TRUTH. By 1942, I think that kind of hair-brained heiress character was pretty much over, at least if the screenplay wasn't positively sparkling. This one had four writers' hands on it, and it seemed inconsistent.

But I'll give it credit for bringing out a really playful side of the stolid Robert Taylor. I don't remember ever seeing him this carefree with lines and having such ease with his body. If people had gone to see it, it might have moved him into some of the same territory Cary Grant was triumphing in (and which Rock Hudson was able to achieve twenty years later after PILLOW TALK.)

ANd Norma looked lovely, too. As this was her last film, it was nice that she went out looking so stylish. And obviously director George Cukor insured that everyone on the set had a good time because I found that it flowed rather well.

I'm going to look the film up in my Cukor biography to see if there is any mention of it. He tended to ignore flops like this and ZAZA (among others) when discussing his career, but I'll see.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: August 25, 2005, 07:57:50 PM »

I finished up PRIVATE LIVES tonight, too. Nothing additional to add what I said about it earlier today. The sound was very hissy on the broadcast, but it was made in 1931, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised the sound was kind of flat and not especially well recorded.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: August 25, 2005, 07:59:42 PM »

Norma's Oscar winning performance in THE DIVORCEE is playing right now, but I have the DVR recording it. I believe I have seen the entire thing, but I wanted to be sure. Don't know when it will come around again (well, that is, until February when TCM plays all its Oscar winners and nominees.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #174 on: August 25, 2005, 08:02:18 PM »

...he's been doing this he's been to Italy and Europe...
So...Italy is not a part of Europe any more???

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #175 on: August 25, 2005, 08:07:54 PM »

I loved Mickey until he permed his  hair.
Rug, maybe?

;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #176 on: August 25, 2005, 08:13:19 PM »

And the word of the day is: TUMESCENT!
The tumescence of the unknown soldier...a leading cause of fatherless children, I'm sure!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #177 on: August 25, 2005, 08:23:53 PM »

I got a great deal on shrimp at work yesterday, a two-pound bag for half-price.  Tonight I took a dozen of those shrimp, defrosted them in under cold, runing water, shelled and deveined them, and served them as part of an oriental-flavored meal.

I tossed the shrimp with some corn starch, then stir-fried them with some snow peas and water chestnuts, with the juice of a lemon adding to the sauce.  We had this with some sweet and sour pork, which was quite yummerful, and some vinegared rice, which helped cut the other flavors a bit.

Der B was determined to serve a piece or two of the pork to the doggies, but I protested and grabbed the rest for myself.  The pork was just too nummy for me not to take it for myself!!!

As for the shrimp, they were very, very good.  The lemon and the shrimp, paired with the veggies in the dish, was close to fantastic.

And we've lots of shrimp left for other experiments.  Time to look up a good recipe for scampi, I think!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #178 on: August 25, 2005, 08:28:19 PM »

I need to wussburger, if I'm going to regrubssuw in the morning and get anything that needs to be done done in time before I go to work.

Matt H.

« Reply #179 on: August 25, 2005, 08:29:30 PM »

I did manage to listen to a few cuts of the KISMET soundtrack. The stereo is just great, and Conrad Salinger et al did beautiful work with orchestrating the score. It was nice to finally hear "Rhymes Have I" sung by Keel and Blyth. One of the verses was skipped, sad to say, and the tempo doesn't match Drake's on either of his KISMET albums, but it's still nice to finally hear it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up