Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IN A STATE  (Read 30504 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
IN A STATE
« on: August 25, 2005, 12:08:06 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are not in a state of longeurs, whatever the HELL that means, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently in a state - New Mexico, for example.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2005, 12:08:03 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:IN A STATE
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 12:08:27 AM »

And the word of the day is: TUMESCENT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 12:08:42 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 12:21:18 AM »

Bacharach & David - Odds and Ends
                                 Paper Mache
                                 Where' There's A Heartache
                                  The Green Grass Starts to Grow
                                  Message to Michael (Martha)
and of course "They Don't give Medals to Yesterday's Heroes". A recent version has not changed that inclusion!

Goffin & King:    Going Back
                         Will you Still Love Me Tomorrow
                         Hi De Ho
                         Snow Queen
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 12:41:17 AM »

I wasn't really errant and truant last night (Wednesday), I was at the movies!  That's right, I went to the movies.  A brand spanking new 16-screen movie theater opened in Lacey (just north of and right next to Olympia) and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday (tonight), they're showing movies for only $1 for worthy causes!  (Friday is the "official" opening.)  I was planning on seeing the 9:30 p.m. showing of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" because I'd missed it the first time it came around.  I guess I wasn't the only one who missed it. ::) Anyway, it was very crowded in the parking lot and the lobby, but people weren't acting crazy in a mob-crowd kind of way, so it was okay.  

I got in line and it only took a couple of minutes to get to the window (they had three of their six ticket selling windows open) and literally the moment that I stepped up to the window, "Hitchhiker's" had sold out!  GGRRRRRR!  They had a big lighted display board that showed the times of all the movies and when a time changed to "SOLD" it was sold out.  I was looking at it as I was about to say "One for the 9:30 showing of...." and the 9:30 changed to "SOLD."

So, taking a moment, I looked quickly at what was not sold out and yet to show and I saw that the 10:05 showing of "Robots" was available.  Since I hadn't seen that one either, I got a $1 ticket for that...and I only had 55 minutes to wait.  Oh joy.  So I got myself a $1 diet Coke and I stood around for about a half hour before they would let anyone in.  I have to admit that the place is pretty spiffy.  Nice, new, modern, clean.  They had very comfy seats.  And they have "stadium seating" so that if tall people sit in front of you, they won't block your view!  Nice wide aisles so that everyone can get around each other.

The only problem with the whole experience was the darned movie itself!  Specifically the film.  It had scratches in at least five or six areas across the screen, running through the entire movie!  There was not one single moment when there weren't at least five or six scratches on the film.  AARRGGHH.  However, I actually didn't dwell on it at all and very quickly could ignore them.  Otherwise, it was a very cute movie with a very simple plot and wonderful computer animation.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 12:41:54 AM »

Now, I'm home and must go to bed.  I don't know many Bacharach & David or Goffin & King songs as their songs, so I'll just have to say, "ditto" to a lot.  For instance, Tomovoz mentioned "Will you Still Love Me Tomorrow."  I like that song.  As for Bacharach & David songs, let me say "everything in Promises, Promises!" ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 12:45:08 AM »

So, goodnight, Tomovoz and "guests"...all two of you!

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 01:12:11 AM »

Sorry George. By the time you read this it will be "Good Morning".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 03:54:12 AM »

Good morning, all!  Today's a long GOLDEN APPLE rehearsal day:  morning and afternoon sessions.  Yomorrow afternoon, the cast and chorus come in, and I look forward to that immensely.  

Bacharach & David:
      Message to Michael
      Do You Know the Way to San Jose?
      Knowing When to Leave

King & Goffin:
      Loco-Motion
      Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 04:15:07 AM »

Today is/going to be WAS my mother’s birthday and I made her a gift of a Katharine Hepburn’s beautiful photo book published with LIFE Inc., since she is a big fan of Miss. Hepburn, and she really liked it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 04:19:20 AM »

Happy birthday to your mother DR Hisaka.
Goodnight Hisaka.
Good morning DRs Elmore and Ben.
James Thurber 1957

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 04:19:56 AM »

DR MATTH wrote;
I'm not DR MBarnum, but I can answer. The episode you're referring to,  the Dark."
For some reason, I thought he was in another TZ episode, but I can't find it right now. Unbelievably, THE TWILIGHT ZONE COMPANION has no actor index, a major flaw in the book's construction.

Thank you, DR MATTH. I’m interested in the another episode you mentioned, as I think I’ve never seen it.  However, I couldn’t find it on http://www.twilightzone.org/index2.html. or on another Japanese site. ???

Ben

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 04:21:26 AM »

Good morning crew. Jose, I shall probably toddle up to La Cocina tomorrow to wish you a happy natal day. Since I have to work on Saturday I don't know how long I'll stay but that's for tomorrow's thinking.

Love Promises Promises. I am now too old to play Chuck Baxter, but I'm also too old to play many other roles that I never got around to doing. Such is life.

Back to work.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 04:23:18 AM »

Thank you, DR TOMOVOZ.

We have a stormy night tonight in Tokyo.

Tomovoz

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 04:29:25 AM »

A peaceful night here in Melbourne and a warm weekend ahead - 22 degrees C. Warm for winter.

Just finished the last disc of Broadway - The American Musical.  Interesting but I enjoyed the "heart" of "Broadway - The Golden Age" more.
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2005, 04:40:39 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2005, 06:07:37 AM »

Today is National Banana Split Day!

(I'm fairly sure that's in reference to the ice cream and fruit concoction, and not the Hanna-Barbara concoction.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2005, 06:17:20 AM »

Just finished the last disc of Broadway - The American Musical.  Interesting but I enjoyed the "heart" of "Broadway - The Golden Age" more.

DR Tomovoz - I agree.  In fact, for my sister's birthday last week I gave her a copy of Broadway:  The Golden Age and, of course, bought myself a copy, too!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2005, 06:49:51 AM »

Good Morning!

Well... Now my stomach is feeling a bit queasy... Ah, well...  :-\

As for B&D Songs: The Score for Promises, Promises[/s], especially "Whoever You Are, I Love You" and "Half As Big As Life"; "Do You Know The Way To San Jose?"; "24 Hours From Tulsa"; "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head"... and many, many others...

G&K Songs: "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow"
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 06:51:03 AM »

Bacharach favorites:

# 1 favorite: The Look of Love

Other faves:

Tower of Strength
Blue on Blue
What the World Needs Now is Love
Do You know the Way to San Jose
This Girl’s in Love with You

Goffin and King:

The Loco-Motion
Don’t Bring Me Down

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2005, 06:52:16 AM »

As DR Michael Shayne "mentioned"...

VIBES TO EVERYONE IN FLORIDA IN THE PATH OF KATRINA
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2005, 06:53:08 AM »

And now I'm off to Ripley-Grier...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2005, 06:57:58 AM »

Good morning!

Well, we're getting just a little taste of fall. It's still hot as blazes here during the day, but it actually went down to 62 last night which made for a pleasant morning. My central A/C has not snapped on this morning since the house cooled down during the night. These cooler nights are supposed to continue for the next few days at least.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2005, 06:59:26 AM »

Favorite Bacharach songs:

well, everything in PROMISES, PROMISES naturally.

"I Say a Little Prayer," "Alfie," "The Look of Love," and, of course, "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on My Head."

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2005, 07:00:26 AM »

As for Goffin and King, I honestly had never heard of them. From seeing song titles listed by other DRs, yes, I h=know these songs, but I can't honestly say they're favorites.

So, I guess I'll pass on making any choices.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2005, 07:06:02 AM »

Today is Norma Shearer Day on TCM, and I'm recording quite a few of her classics. I've never seen the MGM PRIVATE LIVES at all, so that will be #1 on my to-see list today.

I'm recording THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET to watch again as it's been years since I've seen it, and I remember her and Charles Laughton being so wonderful in it.

I've never seen her ROMEO AND JULIET all the way through. Looking forward to Basil Rathbone's Tybalt and John Barrymore's Mercutio in this film. Yes, everyone is far too old for the parts, but since everyone is old, it all kind of works for me, or at least it did the last time I saw part of it.

One of her last films comes on later today, HER CARDBOARD LOVER. She chose this instead of MRS. MINIVER which was offered to her, and it was a terrible flop. I have never seen it either, and I'm very curious to see what there was about the movie that would have made her interested in it.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2005, 07:08:21 AM »

One of the movies I recorded over the weekend is Basil Rathbone's take on Philo Vance, THE BISHOP MURDER CASE. I have seen all of William Powell's Philo Vance movies, but I've never seen this one, and I am looking forward to it, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2005, 07:10:38 AM »

Oe of the things I'm finding while reading this John Schlesinger biograpohy is that I REALLY want to go back and look at his films again. It was only a few months ago when I watched THE DAY OF THE LOCUST, but reading about the making of the film in the book this morning, I'd like to see it again. I also felt that way when reading about the making of DARLING, MIDNIGHT COWBOY, and SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY. I'm going to have to have a two day-long John Schlesinger Festival when I finish this book.

Jason

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 07:11:05 AM »

Who are Goffin and King?

I'm in a bad mood today. I don't know why - I just am, and part of me (I won't tell you which part) just doesn't care. Not a good state of mind to be in when it's only 10am and I have a whole day of idiots stretching out before me.

It's a beautiful day in the City of York that is New. 68F and clear skies. Just loverly. Too bad I'm too grouchy to appreciate it.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 07:12:25 AM »

So, with so much Norma Shearer (and Basil Rathbone as Philo Vance) on the DVR, I doubt I'll get to any DVDs today.

Sacrilege!  :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up